Start by marking “Over the Moon” as Want to Read:
Over the Moon

Over the Moon

Twelve-year-old Mallie's prospects are grim. In her mining town, Coal Top, boys leave school at 12 to work in the mines, and girls leave to work as servants for the rich people. Mallie can't stomach the idea of that kind of life, but what choice does she have? Especially when her family is counting on her wages to survive.

All that changes when Mallie is recruited for a da
Published March 26th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Over the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Moon

Matthew Galloway
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mg
This was the lovely, beautiful, moving story I thought it would be -- just as the other Lloyd books I've read are. The first thing to note is that this one is more fantasy than on that magical realism line that "The Key to Extraordinary" and "A Snicker of Magic" are. The setting still feels similar to the others and you can just feel the author's love for it -- even when it's shrouded in a cruel dust, infested with monsters, and life is so very hard. It will come as no surprise that while the he ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Over the Moon by Natalie Lloyd, 304 pages. Scholastic Press, MARCH 2019. $17.

Content: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Mallie lives a dreary, desperate life in tiny town on Coal Top Mountain. An insidious dust has covered the skies for almost a generation, blocking out the sky, the sun, and stars. Mallie slaves each day in the valley below for a meager salary, but one day she finds an ad looking for brave boys willing to risk their lives for an adventure. This may be j
Cassidy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-in-2019
I read Over the Moon because Goodreads recommended it to me and I thought it sounded good. Not quite was I was expecting, but it was still a good book. (I still can't get the Mountain Girl song out of my head.)
Mountain girl, lift up your eyes,
the stars are shining bright for thee,
reach out and take the silver cord,
braid beauty for all to see.
The story was intriguing. I just wish it was longer because it felt like the ending wasn't complete. Otherwise a good book that I'd probably read again, and
Megan Truax
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Classic Natalie Lloyd. Lyrical, imagery-rich writing, laced with hope and mountain charm. But this book had something else, too: gumption. Moxie. Grit. Courage to stand up and not accept the stories you’ve always been given. Now I can go back to anxiously awaiting her next novel. ❤ ...more
Michele Knott
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book that is full of layers that are begging to be discussed. Lloyd has outdone herself with this one - full of gorgeous language and set in a haunting, yet beautiful setting. I have a feeling this one will be well loved amongst readers!
Margaret Boling
Dec 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Why I'm interested in this book: Recommended on Twitter by Michelle Knott.
Tirzah
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
I always start a Natalie Lloyd book not knowing what to expect but being certain it's going to be magical, fun, and full of positive messages. This is probably my favorite of hers as the whole concept of flying horses and weaving stars is quite romantic. I like Mallie's fierce and yet gentle way of protecting her family and searching for truth. I think young readers will enjoy this book and learn important lessons from the characters and their situations.
Melissa Edwards
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this one of my favorite authors, but I did not want to put this book down once I started reading it! I read it on a plane ride home, got home late, and then stayed up even later to finish reading! Natalie Lloyd has such a wonderful way of connecting the reader to the characters. You can just feel her smiling personality come out in her creations!

I got an early copy of this book while attending a reading conference for educators.
Jessica Samuel
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will always be a fan of Natalie Lloyd and this one did not disappoint!! This is such a powerful story about the need to push through the dark times! I don’t know a single person that will not be able to relate to this story!
Megan Schmelzer
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

I have been a fan of Natalie Lloyd's since I first picked up her book, A Snicker of Magic, several years ago. Natalie is one of the most talented children's fantasy writers I have read. Her ability to construct stories and worlds that I could never have dreamed about reigns supreme among other fantasy books.

In her new book, Over the Moon, Natalie has once again created a fantasy world that will mesmerize her readers.

Set in the town of Co
Stephanie Bange
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Note: Reviewed from an ARC

Lloyd’s third novel for upper elementary students is a departure from her previous two magical realism titles; this one is firmly set in fantasy.

Born into a Coal Top Mountain family in the times of the Dust, Mallie “Over the Moon” Ramble is a tween-age girl who must support her family by working as a servant girl for a rich family in the valley. Also, she must work off the debt her father incurred when he “damaged equipment” in the coal mine (he was blinded as a result
M. L. Little
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner: Over The Moon by @natabitz and @scholasticinc. Available NOW!
I had never read a book by Natalie Lloyd until now. If they’re always this beautiful, I want to read them all.
Over the Moon brings us a dystopian fantasy world where the starlight has been blocked for years by a cloud of thick, choking, mind-altering dust. It is the story of what happens when people stop questioning authority. When people accept absolute reality and never ask “what if?” It’s a story of what h
Erika
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner Thank you to the #kidlitexchange network, publisher @scholasticinc and author @natabitz for the review copy of this book. Any opinions are my own.

OVER THE MOON by Natalie Lloyd

Twelve-year-old Mallie lives in Coal Top. Boys work in the mines, and girls are servants to the rich townspeople. Life in Coal Top is dictated by the Dust.

There is no sunlight, there are no stars, there is only the choking Dust. Hope left when the stars disappeared, and local people could no longer
Karen McKenna
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, LOVE this book. I love Natalie Lloyd's heartfelt, magical writing, so when I say the chance to get her new book through Scholastic book orders early, I jumped at the chance. My first copy came with about 6 pages misprinted, but I could not put the book down anyway. I got a replacement copy (thank you Scholastic) and ended up rereading the entire book because I couldn't stand feeling like I had missed even a part of the story. I have a towering TBR pile and rarely reread books, but th ...more
Darla
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful tale about the triumph of the human spirit over tyranny. And, yes, there are flying horses!!! Natalie Lloyd is one of my favorite authors, because of her ability to write about spunky, flawed heroines. Mallie struggles with her negative impulses yet desires to do her best to help support her family in a dusty world where the stars have disappeared. Then she meets Leo and they fly over the moon together. Filled with heart and a snicker of magic (see what I did there?).

Lesley Burnap
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this one quickly! MG fantasy about a world of haves & have-nots & how one controls the other by Dust. Mallie & her friends are given an opportunity to earn more money than they’ve dreamed to escape their poverty, but what will happen when Mallie discovers what’s really going on... Can Mallie change her life-story & help bring back the old starlight ways? Highly recommended Middle Grade, ages 8+. #FightTheDust #BringBackTheLight
Bridget
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

I've loved all of Natalie Lloyd's books. Her writing style is beautifully lyrical, with sweet stories full of hope and family.

This one was a powerful story of living a better story than the one we're given, of pushing through fear and sorrow and anger until you find peace beyond them. It's a story about bravely holding onto hope, even when everyone tells you there's nothing to hope for. And it's also a super fun adventure! I loved it.
Engel Dreizehn
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC Copy...even though this was a fantasy it felt like it contain strong flavors/tones of the rocky Appalachians mountains or Rocky Mountains social culture/geography feel only with magical realism added in. I like the girl is willing to go for it despite what others say and the concept of stories...there are stories that contain truths and help people, while there are stories that lie and control people. The "Truth" and "Lies" elements very much factor into the narrative. I liked this read.
Donna
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting story with a strong main character, lots of magic, villains, and flying horses.
Mallie has learned that the boys work in the mines, the girls do domestic work. She want something more, different. After answering an ad, she starts to ask questions and see things in a different light.
After a few risky moves, Mallie and her friend Adam find the truth and set the town free.
Joe
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Lloyd does it again. I read The Key to Extraordinary and then decided to follow it up with this one, her newest book. It's a bit darker and more adult than Key, but no less interesting or worth reading. Natalie Lloyd writes interesting characters and sticks them into always-moving plots. It's fun, it's entertaining, it's more than a little inspiring. Worth your while!
Caroline Mickey
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mallie is an admirable heroine. This book is missing something: the pacing is a little strange, the explanations a little too easy, or the wrap up a little too neat. BUT, it is a great book for kids to read. It encourages standing up against those who work to press you down. "We are the stories we are given." What an important message.
Katie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timely and timeless. Like all of Natalie Lloyd’s books, Over the Moon triumphs with love and hope, strength and friendship, and just a snicker of magic. This new heartprint book is one I’ll share with readers who need to find their own voices, to find courage, to dream, and to question the story they’ve been given to live their better than best story.
Traci
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 I am a huge fan of a Snicker of Magic & The Key to Extraordinary. Over the Moon has a different feel. The language wasn’t as lyrical and the storyline wasn’t as complex but I still enjoyed it. Plenty of girl power and positive messages about thinking for yourself & overcoming fear were definitely the strengths of this story!
Jenny
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a bit more fantasy than Natalie Lloyd’s previous books, Over The Moon surprised me but drew me in as always. As Mallie fights back against the Dust, there are expected adventures and unexpected twists that leave you wondering how she could possibly save her family and her town. You’ll cheer on Mallie, a likeable imperfect fighter, and you’ll wish for a Starbird to take you into her world.
Abbie
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is another great story from Natalie Lloyd. Her imagination must be an amazing place! Read my review at Bookish Adventures.
Wendy Garland
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, middle-grade
This is one not to miss! Middle-grade readers will be pulled into Mallie's adventure as she puts herself in great danger to save her family. Friendship, loyalty, and poverty are all themes that are begging to be discussed in this beautifully crafted book.
Amber
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loooooved Mallie! She is such a bad ass female character and I know she will inspire a lot of young girls to be brave! If you loved A Snicker of Magic and The Key to Extraordinary, do not miss this one! Out 3/26/19
Andrea
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, and all of Natalie Lloyd’s writing, is a wonderwow.
Pat
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world Natalie Lloyd creates is dreary but lit by dreams and a girl whose grit and strength belie her physical handicap of missing one of her forearms. Magical and inspiring.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • Winnie's Great War
  • Maybe a Mermaid
  • Lions and Liars
  • How to Outrun a Crocodile When Your Shoes Are Untied (My Life Is a Zoo, #1)
  • Lizzie Flying Solo
  • Wonderland
  • Summer of a Thousand Pies
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • The Three Rules of Everyday Magic
  • Breakout
  • The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City
  • A Wolf Called Wander
  • Far Away
  • Hope in the Holler
  • EngiNerds
  • Things That Surprise You
  • Nate Expectations (Better Nate Than Ever, #3)
“October made the leaves on Main Street fit for a crown. They dripped from the trees in jewel-toned shades: yellow and orange and fiery red. The cool wind sent a confetti-cluster of leaves down around us.” 4 likes