Start by marking “Gray Wolf Island” as Want to Read:
Gray Wolf Island

Gray Wolf Island

Right before Sadie died, she begged her sister, Ruby, to do the one thing she could never do herself: Find the treasure on Gray Wolf Island.

With just a mysterious treasure map as a guide, Ruby reluctantly allows some friends to join her on the hunt, each of whom is touched by magic: a boy allegedly born to a virgin, a girl who never sleeps, a boy who can foresee his own de
Published October 10th 2017 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gray Wolf Island, please sign up.
Tracey Neithercott Thanks for asking! There is, though it’s definitely a smaller part of the book than the friendships.
Tracey Neithercott
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The sun drips light down the face of the sky, fierce reds and oranges pooling on the surface of the water. For the long moments before the sun dunks beneath the waves, we’re kings and queens with skin like fire.”

I AM CRYING.

MY FIRST FIVE STAR READ OF THE YEAR, I DON'T THINK I CAN PROPERLY THINK LET ALONE WRITE A REVIEW, BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE I WANT EVERYONE TO READ THIS FUCKING PERFECT CREATION OF A BOOK.

But most importantly, my heart and soul is singing and I'm ready to live out my
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
"Hey, can I copy your homework?"
"Yeah, just change it up a little so it's not obvious you copied."

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Gray Wolf Island by Tracey Neithercott

(Whoops, I went there)

Before I start, I’m not screaming 'plagiarism' or anything like that. These books just have a lot of similarities. Examples:

• Story revolves around a girl with a color name (Blue vs Ruby)

• Story starts when girl joins a group of 3 boys looking for something magical (Glendower vs Treasure)

• Ft boy predicted to die (not really a spoiler since like 2nd chapter info for both)
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. Nothing will ever beat The Raven Boys for me, but this definitely had similar vibes and I appreciated it for that. It had so many elements I enjoyed...the mystery, the friendship, the slight magical realism. And it also had so much humour, which I wasn't expecting. I came to love these characters so very much. I hope they're all okay now.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Upon first reading this book, I was comfortable with a 3.5, rounded down. It wasn't anything particularly special, but it was a fun read, I felt like it went by rather quickly, and there were a few topics that I thought it handled pretty well (such as loss of a loved one, and sexual assault). That said, this review has taken me forever to write because I feel so "meh" about it, and after thinking back on the story as well as reading Kaylin's comparison of how heavily influenced by The Raven Boys ...more
Carrie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ruby and Sadie are twins, Sadie is the outgoing more popular twin while Ruby has spent her life simply being Sadie's sister. When Sadie get ill however Ruby would give anything to keep her sister in her life but when things take a turn for the worse instead Ruby helps end her sister's misery. Right before she dies Sadie makes Ruby promise to finish off her hunt for the treasure on Gray Wolf Island.

A year passes with Ruby mourning the loss of her other half before she finds a sign that reminds he
Lola Sharp
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Y'all, I am very blessed to have read an early manuscript of this GORGEOUS book. And, yes, I am friends with Tracey, BUT, I think most of you know how blunt and brutally honest I am and that I do NOT hand out 5 stars often. (usually I don't even put stars up) I don't rave willy-nilly. I'm also rather fussy about prose quality. THIS BOOK IS GORGEOUS, atmospheric, with hauntingly beautiful prose, interesting layered characters and a unique premise. If you like Maggie Steifvater or Laini Taylor, et ...more
Katy Upperman
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so mind-blowingly good it gave me chills, even on my second read. Author Tracey Neithercott's prose is gorgeously lyrical, her plot (a treasure hunt involving an atmospheric island and a host of tragic secrets) is full of surprises, and her cast will burrow into your heart -- particularly sad-but-strong main character, Ruby, and enigmatic, sensitive Elliot. Gray Wolf Island is like a darker, swoonier version of The Goonies, and is absolutely one of my newest favorites. You'll love i ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I shouldn't care that he's right. I shouldn't want to be like these boys, who cease to exist without each other. It's a dangerous thing, flinging open your heat and begging another person to burrow inside without breaking anything.

This book was so utterly beautiful and heartbreaking. A story of love and friendship. A tale of adventure and self-discovery. A journey toward forgiveness and understanding what truly matters in life.

The prose is exquisitely lyrical and the overall atmosphere is qu
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5 stars.

Upon the death of her twin sister, Sadie, Ruby finds herself fading even more into the background of village life. Without the bolstering support of her out-going duplicate and still lamenting the loss of the one she loved the most, Sadie loses more and more of herself every day. But she is also haunted by a promise and a crime. And both were made on her sister's deathbed.

Eager to rectify and escape the past, Ruby finds herself undertaking the task of discovering the trea
Kayla
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could go on and on and on about this book, but I'm going to err on the side of being vague so I don't spoil a single thing. One non-spoilery thing I will say, though, is that the writing is absolutely gorgeous. I highlighted so many lines—lines I loved, lines that made me laugh, lines that will haunt me for days (in the very best way). The end of the opening chapter left me with chills upon chills—a feeling I felt numerous times throughout—and it also left me undeniably invested in the story.

G
Allison
Absolutely beautiful debut! Just...the prose...WOW.

Anyways, longer review soon.
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning: Death, murder, and mention of rape.

I received this E-ARC via the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I was super excited to read Gray Wolf Island! I love reading about treasure hunts and was thoroughly anticipating this one. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it.

The story follows Ruby after the death of her sister Sadie. Sadie was obsessed about this mysterious island that is rumored to have treasure. Mu
Lindsay Currie
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow. The Goonies grew up!

I was lucky enough to read an advance reader copy of GRAY WOLF ISLAND and was absolutely blown away. Mystery, adventure, layered characters and an island setting to die for . . . this is hands-down one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. The writing is gorgeous, flawless and memorable and the characters - Ruby and Elliott - carved a spot in my heart from page one.

A treasure hunt . . . murder . . . magic . . . secrets. Oh, and complex friendships that stole
Tracey Neithercott
Apr 15, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Update: Two months until Gray Wolf Island releases! I’m so excited for you all to read the book. If you’re looking extras:

See Gray Wolf Island character illustrations.
Get fun preorder gifts, like an annotated map, character prints, and more.
Browse my Pinterest board.
Subscribe to my newsletter for news about upcoming excerpt reveals.

description

• • • • • •

GRAY WOLF ISLAND used to be in my head, and in about a year it’ll be in yours, which is kind of magical if you think about it. In the meantime, he
Sara
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to return to Gray Wolf Island. When I got to the last page, I wanted to go back to page one and start again. I was fortunate to be able to read an ARC of this book, one that's been on my radar for a long time.

The story of the island and its treasure and the people who seek it, whose lives are forever entwined in the island's mystery, will stay with me for a long time. The language is so lyrical and haunting and achingly beautiful - there are just so many passages that I wanted to pull ou
Alexandra Ott
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away. The writing is absolutely gorgeous--so much so that I kept jotting down all of my favorite quotes. The setting is atmospheric and mysterious and magical, and the plot is full of surprises. I loved the characters, too; each of them is complex and nuanced and real. Fans of mysteries and magical realism will love this. Highly recommend!
Gwen Cole
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-debuts
I got everything I wanted from this book and then even more. The writing is so beautiful and the setting is amazing, and followed up these complex characters who you have no choice but to fall in love with, this book does not disappoint. I loved it SO much. I also think I found a new book boyfriend. Can't wait for this to be released so it can have a place on my shelf.
Rachel Strolle
Mystical, magical, and wonderful.
I can't think of anything else I've read that was similar to this. It's special.
Melanie Thompson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Ruby makes a promise to her dying twin sister, she never thought she'd really go on a search for the lost treasure of Gray Wolf Island. But a year later she finds a map in a copy of Treasure Island that sends her on a life-changing journey with a group of teens she'd never imagined herself with. Gabe, the boy from an immaculate conception, Elliott, the brainiac tough guy, Charlie, the boy who has seen his death on Gray Wolf Island, and Anne, the girl who never sleeps. Ruby barely knows any ...more
Riley Edgewood
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-faves
I'll write a full review once GWI releases, but y'all. ADD THIS TO YOUR WISH LISTS. This book is magical with gorgeous prose and engaging characters and just...so swoony. If you liked The Raven Cycle series, this book IS FOR YOU.
mith
{you can read this review on my blog as well}
---
**Content Warning** There is a part where there is talk of sexual assault!

I love this book. A lot. I love the writing, I love the characters, I love the setting, I love the story. I’ve been desperate to read this a while back, and when I finally did, it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Gray Wolf Island is a book about treasure hunting. It’s a book about finding friends when you didn’t think that could be in store for you. It’s about accepting
rachel
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF @ pg 50

I could not stand the writing style.
Krysti
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With its atmospheric setting, dynamic cast of characters, and wonderful spirit of adventure, GRAY WOLF ISLAND is one 2017 debut novel that is simply not to be missed.

This book takes readers on a quest to uncover a hidden treasure, and the journey there brims with action, danger, and high-stakes mystery that will keep readers glued to the pages. This book had me absolutely hooked from the very first chapter, and I only became only more captivated by it as the story progressed. The catalyst that s
Claire
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, e-book, ya
Thank you, Netgalley and Random House, for the opportunity to read this book. My views are entirely my own.

Let me just start this review by saying that I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK! My favorite read of 2017 so far, Tracey Neithercott's stunning debut was everything I wished for.
I can't share much of the plot without spoiling any of Neithercott's carefully threaded story, but I will share the basics. MC Ruby leads a motley assortment of characters (each a mystery all their own) on an advent
Cori Reed
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so under rated! Beautifully written, really interesting story telling, and great characters. Not QUITE a five stars, but it's close!
Kristy K

Neithercott creates a story that slowly sucks you in and pulls you along this tale of adventure with a hint of magical realism.

Gray Wolf Island centers around a group of misfits who join together to find the hidden treasure on an island near their home. Even though the plot revolves around a treasure hunt and an island full of secrets, at times the story feels quite whimsical and maybe even a little haunted. There's a dark undercurrent throughout it and as it progresses that darkness sl
Luke Taylor
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating 5 star adventure with far more than first meets the eye. Great prose and twisty plot. Perfect for fans of The Raven Boys.
Nafiza
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every bit as magical as I wanted it to be. Review soon.
The Captain
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

The stunning cover is what originally drew me in. Then the first line of the blurb was "for fans of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender." I loved that book so the comparison drew me in further. Then I discovered it is about five teens who go on a treasure hunt on the mysterious Gray Wolf Island. Treasure! Adventure! Islands! Maps! Magical
Julie
Oct 26, 2017 added it
Ahhh! Where do I start with GRAY WOLF ISLAND? How about the complex, quiet MC still living in the shadow of her twin and grappling with a secret having to do with the twin's death? Or the mysterious treasure map that pops up in a forgotten library book, which is also tied to her twin's last wish? Or the group of complicated, well-drawn characters thrown together on a hunt for something they don't quite understand? If you like haunting, atmospheric settings and suspenseful adventure books, this i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Sword and the Dagger
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Last Star Burning (Last Star Burning #1)
  • League of American Traitors
  • Evenfall (Shadowfire, #1)
  • Ride On
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)
  • Muse
  • We are Blood and Thunder
  • The Tesla Legacy
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • The Breathless
  • Cold-Forged Flame (Ree Varekai, #1)
  • Firefly: Generations
  • Arrow of Death (The Rise and Fall #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
Tracey Neithercott’s first book was written by hand and illustrated with some really fancy colored pencils. It was highly acclaimed by her mother. Now, she writes YA stories of friendship, love, murder, and magic. (None of which she illustrates—you’re welcome.) She lives in Massachusetts with her husband, who suggests improving her novels by adding Star Wars characters.

She is the author of GRAY W
“I give him the kind of smile only shared between two people who desperately hate something and thoroughly enjoy hating it together.” 5 likes
“Ya'aburnee. In Arabic, it's hoping you die before someone you love because you can't bear to live without them.” 1 likes