Start by marking “Because of the Sun” as Want to Read:
Because of the Sun

Because of the Sun

From the backyards of suburban Florida to the parched desert of New Mexico, Because of the Sun explores the complexity of family, the saving grace of friendship, and the healing that can begin when the truth is brought to light.

Dani Falls learned to tolerate her existence in suburban Florida with her brash and seemingly unloving mother by embracing the philosophy Why care?
Published January 3rd 2017 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Because of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because of the Sun

Naz (Read Diverse Books)
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one's tough to rate. I'd say 3.5 is more accurate. Definitely enjoyed it overall.
Read the in-depth review on my blog: Read Diverse Books
Karina
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it

Review to come.
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

- - -

From the backyards of suburban Florida to the parched desert of New Mexico, "Because of the Sun" explores the complexity of family, the saving grace of friendship, and the healing that can begin when the truth is brought to light. Dani Falls learned to tolerate her existence in suburban Florida with her brash and seemingly unloving mother by embracing the philosophy "Why care? It will only hurt." So when her mother is killed in a sudden and violen
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 3.5 stars

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

I received an e-ARC of this book from Delacorte Press and Random House Children’s via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Critically
Plot – 3 out of 5 stars
I don’t really know how to explain the plot of this book because it’s not really a common one. It was really easy to get pulled into and was really easy to read which means I flew through it. It’s divided into three parts with no
Kristy Mauna
This book is. . . odd?
First off, I wasn't entirely sold on the beginning of the story. It begins with Dani's mother getting killed by a bear. In their backyard. In suburban Florida. I've never been to Florida and maybe there are tons of bears just walking around.. But I would've been able to find it more realistic if maybe it was an alligator? Anyways, I decided to look past this.
Dani is a hard character to enjoy.
I think Jenny Torres Sanchez had a brilliant reason for creating Dani and a beautif
Kelly Gunderman
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Check out this review, a Q&A with the author, and other nifty bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Aside from being absolutely obsessed with the beautiful cover of this book (those colors mixing together, and the simple silhouettes of the people and water tower in the background) I was also drawn to the synopsis for this. Because of the Sun sounds like such an emotional, powerful read, full of pain, acceptance, and looking for a place to call home.

As soon as I
Kelly
The definition of a "quiet read" and one wherein the ~magical realism~ is 100% realism but through the lens of grief and dreams and hallucination.

Dani's mother is killed by a bear, and she's sent to live with the aunt she's never known on the other side of the country. It's a sold story about grief and loss, one which reminds me a bit of Nina LaCour's WE ARE OKAY in how it's presented as something so solitary and individual and all-encompassing. But what I disliked was how there's a whole chapte
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
This review was originally posted on As Told By Tina My Review
Because Of The Sun was one of my most anticipated releases of 2017. It was the first time in a long time I finished a book in a day. From the first page to the last page, I was instantly drawn into the story. There were times I felt like I had to emotionally step back from the book because being inside Dani’s head could be too much but after a couple breaks here and there I found myself finishing the book without even realizing it.

A
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
liked the plot of the story, but i had a hard time diving into it.

full review soon! :)
Barbara
After her mother dies in a bizarre fashion in the yard of their Florida home, Dani moves to New Mexico to live with an aunt she didn't even know existed. While she deals with her feelings of grief and loss, she connects with the feelings of alienation experienced by the protagonist in Albert Camus's The Stranger. How can literature mirror so perfectly her own feelings of detachment? Then again, feeling detached has long been Dani's own way of coping with life with her mother who always seemed so ...more
Brittany
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
"I look at Mom's grave and the sea of headstones around us and the trees standing tall, the branches full and slightly swaying, and I realize...Sometimes there is shade, there is respite, there is beauty and love" (249).

This was my favorite line from this book. It's largely a story about dealing with profound grief in the most unforgivable circumstances. I had a hard time relating to Dani, so I know that tainted my review of the book.

I also felt like this book lacked a punch. I felt like it wa
Lindy
Jan 01, 2018 added it
Because of the Sun is an intimate, difficult story. It takes a second to get going, but once it does, Because of the Sun doesn't pull any punches. It navigates complex, challenging emotions with boldness and beauty in a way that feels important.
Angela Auten
Book received in Book Case Club book box!
Christiana
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a tough one...I read it in a single day. It is an engaging read, but not completely satisfying. Complex, and flawed. I do think it should be read, and am glad I did.
Amber
Dec 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Didn't really like this book. I was a bit confused at times and didn't understand why the main character kept "seeing" a black bear.
Kelly
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
And I suddenly know that people don't visit here. People don't vacation here. This is where people are left alone. This is where people, maybe, even come to die. Or never leave and die. Or are dropped off when their mothers die.

This book is confusing. And not in a Faulkner-esque, "this is confusing so that you can be smart" way, but in a confusing ball of confusing confusion way.

Dani's mother has been mauled by a bear, but to be honest, Dani doesn't care as much as she maybe should. Her relation
Desiree
2.5 stars. This is a tough one for me. On one hand, there was some lovely writing in this story. However, there were times where the overly-flowery, highly-metaphorical language was confusing as a reader.

The character of Dani, the main protagonist of the book, is very difficult to connect to, mostly because she has totally checked out after her mom's passing. She is totally numb, and her character shows no emotion for a large chunk of the book.

I liked Paulo. He was my favorite character in the
Sarah Sammis
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2017
Because of the Sun by Jenny Torres Sanchez is a slim volume that takes The Stranger by Albert Camus as a starting point and weaves it into a quiet tale of a teenager who is lost after her mother is mauled to death by a bear.
Nicka (Read by Nicka)
3.5 stars!

I still don't know how I felt about this book but I don't feel any connection with the characters nor the story. Review will be posted tomorrow!
Kate
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. Dani's voice is so clear and rings so true, even in the midst of her shock and confusion. Anyone who has done time in a dysfunctional family will recognize this story. "I remember wondering if we'd find Mama dead when we walked into the trailer." When I was a teenager comng home from school, I'd walk into our house and say, "Hello, I'm home" and wonder if I would find one or more family members dead. This was a routine and ordinary experience in my life, but it didn't ...more
Bernadette

Kind of a hard book to review. I'm not quite sure in the end if it pulled off the effect it was looking for, or slid a little into 'trying too hard'. But there's definitely some good writing, and some good points made, and left in the reader's thoughts.

The deep point of view was the reason I picked up the book, after skimming the first few pages, and it didn't disappoint me. Dani's drifting through her life, unanchored. Emptied. Not really looking for something to care about; on the con
Pamela Laskin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am working on a middle grade novel, so I have been reading lots of books for teens this summer. In this mode, I just finished BECAUSE OF THE SUN by Jenny Torres Sanchez, and all I can say is wow! Interestingly, my latest novel is about a girl's conflicted relationship with her mother, so this book became like a mentor for me. The mom in my book is mentally ill, but the mom is Sanchez's book is damaged, and the damage causes her daughter's loneliness and psychological trauma-its own kind of dam ...more
Kelsey Morrison
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dani and her mother are not what you would classify as "close". When her mother is brutally killed by a bear--Dani is forced to deal with their crumbling relationship and breadcrumb life. If that wasn't enough Dani is shipped off to live with an aunt she never knew existed. Dani deals with her feelings by mirroring the main character in the book she is reading--"The Stranger". There are some memories none of us ever want to relive, and then there are those we must in order to move forward.

Writt
Melissa
**Actual rating: 3.5 stars**

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED Jenny Torres Sanchez's other books, so expectations were high. And while I didn't love this as much as the others, I still think it was a good story about grief and pain and family.

Jenny Torres Sanchez writes emotion so well, and this was no exception. Dani's pain and numbness were palpable and heartbreaking. And I loved the fraught but ultimately loving relationship with her aunt Shelley. There is a lot of pain with her mother, before and becau
Erin
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I don't want to believe it was all for nothing. It was for something. It meant something, all of it. Because it was us. Because we survived."

After her mother's horrific death, Dani is sent to New Mexico to live with an aunt she never knew she had. Her mother had always told her that she didn't have anyone else in the world. Somehow Dani has to come to terms with her mother's death and their strained relationship while being confronted with her mother's tumultuous past.

Jenny Torres Sanchez's bo
April
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

What is up with this book? I have so many questions, but I think that's a good thing and/or the author's intent? I just want to talk to someone about this book because it's so gosh-darn speculative and dreamlike that I often didn't know what was real or a hallucination.

I know that the bear is a metaphor for...something. I think. Is the bear real? Is it a hallucination? If the bear is, in fact, a hallucination, what killed Dani's mother? This book is definitely a head-scratcher an
Caitie
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just don't know what to say about this book. It was one I wanted to like but just couldn't get into it. I feel badly for Dani, but she was a hard person to like.....I didn't like how detached she was. She has to feel something but acts like nothing happened or matters to her. I get that her mom had issues and clearly not a good person but there wasn't very much background. Everything happened so fast.
Alexandra Alessandri
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenny Torres Sanchez's BECAUSE OF THE SUN was such a heart-achingly beautiful story of emotional survival. Dani is so well-drawn, so real and flawed as she deals with the flurry of emotions her mother's death brings. The complicated mother-daughter relationship is given in snapshots, and Dani's warring emotions bring an emotional depth to this story of loss and survival. I also love Paulo and Shelly, and how Dani evolves throughout the novel.
Tracie
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic, ya
When Dani's abusive mother dies in a freak bear mauling, Dani is sent to live with an aunt she's never even heard about. Stunned and shocked by the death and years of abuse, Dani tries to navigate without the only anchor she's ever had. As she slowly begins to open up, with the help of Paolo and Aunt Shelly, Dani learns about her mother's horrific abuse during her own childhood and teen years which leads to some understanding and the possibility of healing.
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Well that was depressing.

This book is full of abusive people who die and then the ones they abused are confused cause they don't know how to feel about the abusers death.
Should they feel sad? Its not like the person who died was nice.

In the end they figure their feelings out and everything will be okay.

Yay.