Start by marking “The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World” as Want to Read:

Ten years ago, the idea of getting into a stranger’s car, or walking into a stranger’s home, would have seemed bizarre and dangerous, but today it’s as common as ordering a book online. Uber and Airbnb are household names: redefining neighbourhoods, challenging the way governments regulate business and changing the way we travel.

In the spirit of iconic Silicon Valley reneg
Published February 2nd 2017 by Bantam Press (first published January 31st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Upstarts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Upstarts

Athan Tolis
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, business
I read this at warp speed. Like, I read it in the tube, I read it in a taxi (bad idea,) I read it while code was compiling. I had to know what happens next.

Did it address any of the big issues about the sharing economy?

Let’s put it this way: the author is very clearly aware of all the questions that come up. The narrative is always set in the context of the impact the sharing economy is having on all of us: those who work in it, those who share in it (and often would not have access to some rath
Vartika
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Good piece of journalism that includes reporting some lesser known facts about the Upstarts which are less companies more a phenomenon in their own might.

However, a great book for me is one that lends itself to imagination and thought and inspires more thinking and doing. Upstarts is a good narrative of things as they were/ are and the reading experience was more a "ah ok, now I know, ok, interesting". High on gossip value.
Rob Woodbridge
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this type of book typically but the way Stone wove this story was amazing. One of, if not the, best "how did these companies emerge seemingly over night to become household names and change the world" books out there. If you want to know what it takes to build a company of great importance - from the type of human it takes to lead and the effort it takes to succeed- read it. Loved it.
Dillon
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was ok - I liked the Amazon one by Brad Stone ( The Everything Store) better, but that could be because I'm more familiar with Amazon (Seattleite, customer, ...employee) and also more curious. Brad Stone did a good job of detailing the tension between Uber and (particularly) Airbnb's sense of mission/doing good and the grittiness, often outright ugliness, required to expand aggressively and gain a foothold in untapped markets. Uber and Travis Kalanick specifically have been getting a l ...more
Conrad
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The upstarts contains a solid telling of the history of AirBNB and Uber. I was pretty intimately involved with the Uber part of the story and I can say that the history there is very much accurate. I was also so focused on Uber at that time that I actually had no idea what was going on at AirBNB. The stories being told together in an intertwined way was actually perfect. These are really exciting times in the worlds of technology and commerce and this book captures that. I don't know what the fu ...more
Aditya Hadi
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tahukah kamu kalau mungkin saat ini tidak akan ada aplikasi Uber bila sang founder tidak menonton film James Bond Casino Royale? Dan mungkin saat ini tidak ada lagi yang mengenal Airbnb jika para foundernya tidak bertindak gila dengan menjual sereal di masa kampanye Presiden Obama?

Apakah kamu tahu kalau bila tidak ada sebuah hujan salju yang cukup deras sekitar tahun 2012, mungkin tidak akan ada cerita tentang aplikasi pemesanan kendaraan terkenal asal Cina, Didi Chuxing?

Semua itu bisa kamu temu
Peter Tillman
Eh. I expected to like this, since I liked his Amazon book a lot, and I enjoyed his book talk at the LA Book Festival. But this one didn't really catch my interest, maybe because the companies are more works-in-progress, and the writing was pretty meandering. His topics never seemed to come into focus.

Anyway, the book came due after I was maybe a third of the way in, including a fair bit of skimming. I'll probably call that good. 2.5 stars for what I read. It's not as if I'm short of stuff to re
Marks54
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Books about highly successful firms and their often legendary founders and leaders are often of mixed quality and not very interesting. Many are hagiographies that tell the amazing stories of their subjects with clarity and near omniscience, so that the reader recognizes that the success of the firm and its leaders was a necessary development owing little to luck. But readers are likely drawn to such books because they already know the firms are successful due to the blaze of media coverage and ...more
Charlene
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: innovation, economics
So far I have not come across a book about a startup that can beat Nick Bilton's Hatching Twitter, but this was pretty good, definitely better than Stone's book about Amazon.

In Upstarts, Stone weaved the parallel stories of airbnb and Uber from their inception to almost current day. Fast paced, very readable, informative, and addictive. Definitely recommend.
Laura Valentine
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
At times the author seems a little too in awe of the companies he covers, rather than an outsider looking clinically at them (especially when covering the legal issues).
Christopher Lawson
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Journeys Marked By Nonstop Controversy.

In THE UPSTARTS, author Brad Stone explores how Uber and Airbnb (and a few other "also-rans") drastically increased their business (and market value). This book caught my attention because both of the two big firms in this book are located pretty closed to me. I was vaguely familiar with the history of each company, but didn't really know much detail. Well, I know a LOT more now.

What's really amazing is how quickly Uber and Airbnb blasted-off: "How did they
Ethan
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An account by Brad Stone on the sharing economy giants Uber and Airbnb. It does paint a more balanced picture of the actions of Uber in contrast to the over sensationalized negative media coverage on them. Brad usually gives both accounts of the story and let's the reader decide. Brad also gives a blow by blow account of the important moments that defined each companies history in a fair way. One big voice that was missing was the people who have been displaced or affected by this shift in the e ...more
Grant
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Found it boring and not compelling at all. Jumped back and forth between Uber and AirBnb. Didn't care about anything that was happening and didn't like any of the players involved.

I had recently finished 2 books by Nick Bilton (Hatching Twitter and American Kingpin) which were both excellent - read those instead of this one.
Roy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. A little one sided but I guess you get this from one of these types of novels. Was more interested in the chapters on Uber.
Matt Hutson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Future of Business - Uber 'n' Airbnb's Digital Disruption
The future of business has always been a topic people have talked about. Right now it's as hot a topic as it has ever been before with the types of technology you can get your hands on and how fast they develop.

Many industries are changing, such as the transportation and hospitality industry among hundreds of others. In fact, there are many products and services for existing industries that haven't even been invented yet. Some people s
Katie/Doing Dewey
This is the story of the beginning of several companies, but especially Uber and AirBnB. The coverage of their story felt reasonably balanced. The author doesn't shy away from describing the negative impacts of these new companies or from showing conflicts where they look like the bad guys. However, we do get most of the story from the perspective of the founders of Uber and AirBnB. The author gives us their biographies starting in childhood. A lot of the story is told in their words. This made ...more
Fawaz Abdul rahman
Was nice to know the story behind some popular companies, like uber, and changed some wrong thoughts I had about some companies like Lift. Never knew how these companies started.
unfortunately, a lot been changed since Trump Won, which this book won't cover, but still enjoyed how they started. some parts was boring especially political conflicts and long discussions and their names, but overall a nice book.
The copy on Tunein was incomplete unfortunately, I guess chapter 9 was missing.
Willem Spruijt
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing book about the history of Airbnb & Uber. Stone is really one of the best storytellers out there and the obtained details are very accurate. Would have been 5 stars if there was a bit less emphasis on all the legal details. Especially the first chapters and the last Uber China chapter make you love this book. 👌🏻
Victoria
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shared economy innovators, craziness ensues.
Ben
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book about the rise, almost fall, and continued rise of the startups most responsible for the new sharing economy. The Uber side of the story is much more interesting, perhaps because of the heated competition with Lyft, much stronger threats and legislative pushback from cities and taxi companies / unions, and the hotheaded, sometimes self-destructive alpha bro personality of Travis Kalanick. (Side note, it's really odd that a book that just came out this year feels dated, but the only U ...more
Jaana Metsamaa
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's not a self help book or a book about how to build a startup. It's a captivating story of two huge startups and how they came to be. Has all the history of both. It reads like a novel and will be a good movie one day.
Hallgrimur Oddsson
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fín bók. Frásögnin er nokkuð hlutlaus (þó ég sé alveg tilbúinn að láta sannfæra mig um annað) og þetta er mjög ítarleg og lifandi yfirferð yfir sögu Uber og Airbnb og deilurnar sem fyrirtækin (eða öllu heldur tæknin) hafa átt í og komið af stað. Það sem mér finnst Brad Stone, höfundur bókarinnar, gera sérstaklega vel er að setja sögu fyrirtækjanna í samhengi við ytra umhverfi sitt á hverjum tíma. Fyrirtækin tvö eiga jú breyttum ytri skilyrðum, þ.e. bættri tækni, allt að þakka, og gerir þeim klei ...more
Bouke
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Incredibly lukewarm book, most of the information could fit on two sheets of paper. Not really worth the time
Andrew
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

I was a little worried about parallel narrative tracks about two different companies, but it works. Two fast-paced startup stories told from their founders' perspectives. I think the Uber story is more interesting, but both of them demonstrate just how quickly companies go from zero to sixty and beyond these days.
Nex Juice
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Very in-depth coverage of both companies. Interesting, but perhaps a bit longer than I would have needed to get the point. Great if you're considering investing in either of them should they have an IPO.

I found it interesting how Uber's clients have been a major key in ride sharing legislation, which just recently passed where I'm from - upstate NY. I was one of those supporters. After reading the book, I love Uber just as much. Irrelevantly - I got the impression I'd like to be friends with Gar
Marcin Zaremba
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ta książka rzuca dużo światła na ciągłą walkę jakie obydwie firmy toczą niemal ze wszystkimi: konkurencją, różnymi grupami społecznymi, NGOsami, administracją publiczną. Pokazuje, jak przy pewnej skali jednym z ważniejszych działów firmy stają się lobbyści.

Historia Ubera zrobił na mnie wrażenie - szczególnie jak mocno agresywny charakter CEO przenika przez całą firmę oraz to jak ten agresywny charakter przeszkadza wizerunkowi ale pomaga operacyjnie.

Na początku myślałem że autor jest zdecydowany
Cathy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
The author commends the efforts of AirBnB and Uber without critically examining their conduct, practices and impact on local economies.
Maurício Linhares
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While it only covers two companies, their markets and the waves they created are still being developed nowadays so this view into how Uber and Airbnb came to be is going to be in history books, as one of the biggest changes in the labor market for good and bad.

While both companies might seem very different given the ideas we have of them now given Uber's sexual harassment and misconduct cases and Kalanick's brash personality, in the backroom they were both as ruthless and single minded as brothe
Shoti
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
1. Couchsurfing + Craigslist + VRBO + Wimdu < Airbnb
2. Seamless Wheels + Taxi Magic + Cabulous + Hailo < Uber = Lyft = Didi (in China)

The core ideas by which Airbnb and Uber have become the symbols of 'sharing economy' are not revolutionary in nature. Several entrepreneurs tried their luck with the same or similar business concepts beforehand without a lasting success. Some got in too early on the act when GPS technology was nascent and prior to the abundance of smartphone applications. Ot
William Moses Jr.
This book takes a look at the history (until the end of 2016 or so) of two tech giants, Airbnb and Uber. Normally, a book about either one of these companies would be interesting. So you can imagine my happiness at getting a two-for-one book, especially since Stone is a trusted author (I liked his previous book on Amazon). However, in a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole, Stone manages to not only tell both their stories but also weaves those two stories together to talk a ...more
  • The Airbnb Story: How Three Ordinary Guys Disrupted an Industry, Made Billions . . . and Created Plenty of Controversy
  • Artificial Intelligence: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • Dot.con: How America Lost Its Mind and Money in the Internet Era
  • The CIO Paradox: Battling the Contradictions of IT Leadership
  • The Power Of Hope
  • Of Street Piemen
  • Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry
  • The Golden Tap: The Inside Story of Hyper-Funded Indian Startups
  • Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups—Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor Who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,000
  • Valve: Handbook for New Employees
  • Troublemakers: Silicon Valley's Coming of Age
  • Chaos Monkeys: Obscene Fortune and Random Failure in Silicon Valley
  • Once Upon a Car: The Fall and Resurrection of America's Big Three Automakers--GM, Ford, and Chrysler
  • Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing Our Digital Future
  • The Water Kingdom
  • Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money
  • Narrative and Numbers: The Value of Stories in Business
  • The Driver in the Driverless Car: How Our Technology Choices Will Create the Future
I am the senior executive editor for global technology coverage at Bloomberg and the author of "The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley are Changing the World."

Previously I wrote "The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon," which won the Business Book of the Year Award in 2013 from The Financial Times and Goldman Sachs.

Over the last few years,
“Wow, you guys are like cockroaches,” Graham finally said. “You just won’t die.”16” 3 likes
“If you want to build a truly great company you have got to ride a really big wave. And you’ve got to be able to look at market waves and technology waves in a different way than other folks and see it happening sooner, know how to position yourself out there, prepare yourself, pick the right surfboard—in other words, bring the right management team in, build the right platform underneath you. Only then can you ride a truly great wave. At the end of the day, without that great wave, even if you are a great entrepreneur, you are not going to build a really great business.” 3 likes