Start by marking “Cricket Man” as Want to Read:
Cricket Man

Cricket Man

Kenny Sykes is on a mission. He's determined to make his mark somehow in his new town and his new school. In the meantime, he's appointed himself the secret savior of the hundreds of crickets who seem bound to commit suicide by jumping into Kenny's pool. Why he wants to save them, he's not entirely sure. But once school starts again, Cricket Man finds that there are more i ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cricket Man, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Amy
May 17, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It has been many years since I first read this book, but the impression has lasted. I was young, barely out of middle school when I first read it, and yet the message hasn't really changed now that I'm older.
I came across some of my initial attempts to put my thoughts into a "review". Perhaps it will make sense, perhpas not. I know a lot of this is repeating myself, but perhaps that will get the point across.

There are a few things more appealing than a good story, and one that appeals to pre-te
Barbara
Dec 18, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, book-eval-book
Kenny Sykes and his family just moved into their new home in Bethesda, MD and what he likes best is the pool in the backyard. He loves swimming in the early morning and rescuing the dozens of bugs, especially the crickets which seem intent on drowning. Kenny turns into “Cricket Man” in order to save the crickets and other critters which jump in the pool and even designs a homemade t-shirt with the logo, CM on it. He wears the t-shirt under his clothes and secretly believes that his alter ego giv ...more
OK Dad
Jun 13, 2009 OK Dad rated it liked it
Too advanced subject matter for my 9-year old, but I'd let any upper level middle-schooler read it.

Even though the author has written a ton of books, this is my first brush with her works. I liked it.

Skateboarding terminology was a bit forced...as if it were researched and regurgitated as opposed to lived (I was a teenaged skater-dater in my youth), but it provided some unexpected character elements for the main character that I felt helped him "tell" his story and round him out.

We don't kill c
Heather
Nov 10, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
When a 13-year-old boy tried to cheer up his 16-year-old neighbor, he is in for a lot more than he bargained for (her problem is much bigger than depression), but he learns a lot about himself and about friendship. One of the things I liked best about the book were his comments on how tough middle school is. He talks about how a simple incident can get you branded for life or stuck with a horrible nickname, or how nobody really feels confident or like they can be themselves. Very accurate, and a ...more
Angeluismanzueta
a teen named kenny known as "cricket man" has just moved and has met this girl across the street he met her at the middle of the night at the roof porch.
a book called the afterlife is like this same book because they both meet a girl and think their the one .
i would give this book 3 out of 5 stars because it did not seems as interesting its mainly about a boy who seems to adore a girl across the street.
Abby
Dec 08, 2008 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Kenny is an extremely likable character. His obsession to save the crickets jumping in his pool and his drive to learn skateboarding are all things I can imagine an 8th grader doing. I even enjoyed how Kenny dreams of saving his neighbor from a problem he doesn't fully understand. But the conclusion is just to much for me and I found myself rolling my eyes at what is ultimately asked of him.
Paden
Jun 02, 2010 Paden rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-term
Cricket man is an interesting book, it seems like they don't go that far with it. That's why it's only rated three out of five stars. It's a little bit inappropriate not for our age but younger, it says ages twelve and up. The best part of it is the main character. He tries lots of new things because him and his family had just moved.
Aaron
Feb 10, 2009 Aaron added it
I said that I read this book but truthfully, I read this book halfway through and put it down. This book starts out wayyy to slow and keeps on going that way.I Definitely don't reccomend this one.
P.
May 26, 2009 P. rated it it was ok
Shelves: yyay
I read this because it seemed like it would be a Boy Book but it turned out to have a lot to do with Women Things. Which is the problem with trying to segregate books by gender.
JustWorkAlready
Nov 21, 2008 JustWorkAlready rated it liked it
A good book. <(^w^)>
Peter lok
Jul 22, 2010 Peter lok rated it liked it
Shelves: 10th-grade
Cricket Man by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was a decent book. it was about a teenage boy named kenny who called himself cricket man in secret and wanted to help other people like he helped the crickets that jumped into his pool. my favorite part of this book was when kenny helped a girl named jodie when she gave birth to a child in the park. Jodie was a neighbor across the street who kenny thought needed help. he didn't know what she needed but he was determined to help her in one way or another. wi ...more
Michael
Sep 09, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
I'm a big Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (PRN) fan. She is prolific. My boys have read her "Boys against the Girls series" and were entranced. I picked up Cricket Man because I was interested to see how to write about skateboarding. It all sounded authentic to me and I was awed by the way PRN so deftly caught the middle-school boy voice. Great, great scene with Kenny in the Vice Principal's office and the thoughts going through Kenny's head.

The ending was a shocker, and I was moved by Kenny's nobility
Vicki
Jul 25, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween
Kenny loves swimming in his pool in the backyard of his new house. He makes friends with James and Luis at the skatepark. He watches the high school girl Jodie from his rooftop and she watches him. In maintaining the pool for his family, he rescues many crickets and for his younger brother, gives himself the name Cricket Man (CM) and creates a shirt for himself with the secret CM on it. His 8th grade year at school is a rough start, and Kenny decides to keep true to his cricket man persona by he ...more
Luka
Nov 21, 2013 Luka rated it it was amazing
Another book with a thrilling plot twist. This isn't another one of your books: it's a book with another meaning and another character. I mean, who knew, right? I really couldn't put the book down, for its story and character. The first few pages might be a tad boring, but I assure you that you'll be awed from the hints that the author dropped for us.

I rate this book a 5/5, because it deserves so.
Carson
Dec 18, 2015 Carson rated it really liked it
I thought that Cricket Man was a really good book, it was funny and it got weird by the time I finished it which I didn't expect to happen. The book is about a kid named Kenny who makes up a superhero for himself called "Cricket Man". He thinks of it close to the end of summer vacation, when he would save crickets and other bugs from drowning in his pool.
Tracy Bailey
Aug 01, 2015 Tracy Bailey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about a middle school boy whose wants to be a superhero. By just being him and doing normal things, he is more of a hero than he realizes. There is some edgy content, so 8th grade and older.
Cormac Lucas
Jun 21, 2009 Cormac Lucas rated it it was amazing
great book. funny and witty. kenny sykes is a boy superhero.
C. McKenzie
Apr 08, 2010 C. McKenzie rated it really liked it
A charming story about a young boy and a girl in trouble who needs someone who listens. He does and he makes a difference he never could have expected. A great book about growing up.
Marci Glasgow-Haire
Aug 24, 2010 Marci Glasgow-Haire rated it liked it
Although the hero, Kenny, i a little to noble to truly accept, this is a great story about friendship and loyalty.
Kathleen Moore
Aug 17, 2009 Kathleen Moore rated it really liked it
quirky but entertaining.
Roey Marom
Apr 17, 2015 Roey Marom rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read as a child. I really got into this book and loved every word in it!
Darwin Duron
Oct 13, 2016 Darwin Duron rated it really liked it
At first this book is a little bit boring, but while you're reading trough it becomes interesting. I think if you like to read novels or stuff like that you'll enjoy this book.
Maya
Jun 27, 2009 Maya rated it liked it
well it's intresting so far...
Armand
Oct 15, 2015 Armand rated it it was amazing
this book was so good and the end was even better i was so excited about this book that i even read it in 2 days and i finished it omg this book was so good thank u Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

^_^
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Yesenia
Yesenia rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2009
Aries Putra
Aries Putra rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...