Start by marking “I Am a Truck” as Want to Read:
I Am a Truck

I Am a Truck

A tender but lively debut novel about a man, a woman, and their Chevrolet dealer.

Agathe and Rejean Lapointe are about to celebrate their twentieth wedding anniversary when Rejean's beloved Chevy Silverado is found abandoned at the side of the road - with no trace of Rejean. Agathe handles her grief by fondling the shirts in the Big and Tall department at Henderman's Family
Published November 1st 2016 by Invisible Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Truck

Start your review of I Am a Truck
Robin
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
**UPDATE: The Giller Prize short list was announced today and this delightful book made it to the top 5!**

Recently, I read the long list for this year's Giller Prize, a Canadian award established in 1994. I was chagrined to see I didn't recognise a single name. I realised that recently, aside from internationally known Canadian authors (such as Margaret Atwood and Yann Martel), I have been neglecting my country when it comes to my reading choices. So, rather impulsively, I scanned a few titles
Katy
Wow! What a great novel to start the New Year! A new start!

This was a debut novel by Michelle Winters that was short listed for the Scotiabank Giller Prize in 2017. Why did I wait until now to read it ?!

The story is a bit of a conundrum .... it’s a love story but not a romance; it’s a mystery but not a who-dunnit; it’s funny, in a comical or satirical sort of manner. The author has chose her words and phrases very carefully in describing the relationship of Agathe and Rejean, who are readying to
Krista
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: can-con, 2017
“Ben, je drive mon truck.”

Not long after they were married, French Canadians Agathe and Réjean moved to the mostly English-speaking village of Pinto – in rural Acadian country – and everything from their remote cabin in the woods to their refusal to speak anything but French bonded them as two against the rest of the world (“Il n'y a que nous.”). In the week before their twentieth anniversary, therefore, it's inconceivable to Agathe that when Réjean's beloved Silverado is found abandoned at
Matthew Quann
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is an odd duck, that's for sure. Michelle Winters has carved out something that I'd describe as Fargo set in rural, acadian New Brunswick. There's some really interesting things going on in this novel shortlisted for the 2017 Giller Prize--Canada's biggest literary prize--and though I wanted to love it, I found it to be just okay.

Agathe and Réjean are a happily married couple, living an insular life in New Brunswick when Réjean disappears a few days before their anniversary. His Silverado
Susan's Reviews
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read. Highly innovative writing style and I found myself chuckling more than once. I actually looked up a recipe for Rappie Pie - sounds delicious! (Note: I have since made this pie. It wasn't bad at all, but it was a lot of work!)

I loved the strong female characters. Wild, self-sufficient Connie taught Agathe to live life on her own terms, and in the end, this is what we see the previously house-bound Agathe doing: reaching out for the light. Quirky, funny, raunchy - a fast,
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
Wow...so much punch packed into such a short book! I think I need to ponder it some more, but at first brush, I was impacted by the way the characters found themselves once they were no longer wrapped up in each other. It's astonishing, but true, that relationships can sometimes bring about such isolation. In many ways, Agathe and Rejean were just as lonely as Martin, who had no one.
Barbara McEwen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian
This was just fun. I liked the characters and could totally picture this quirky, almost ridiculous, Canadian story. It's short but action-packed like a rock song so why not give it a try?
Suzanne
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A debut novel with a colourful cast of characters reminiscent of the Coen brothers. Quirky, funny, and touching. A fast read with innovative writing that intersperses French or Franglais gives the feel of Acadian New Brunswick. A story of self discovery, isolation, loneliness and an existential look at the phrase “Il n’y a que nous” (there is no one but you) and love. I can see why this book was a finalist for the Giller Prize- a terrific read!
Mag
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
A great little book that I probably would not know about were it not a runner-up for the Giller Prize this year. Set in a small town in eastern Canada, it’s a about a mystery concerning a woman, her husband and his truck dealer.
A great story, ditto characters, and all of it written with a lot of subtle humour that had me chuckling along.
Took me a day and a half to read, and was the first fiction book in a long time that I couldn’t really put down.
Magdelanye
Actually, I Am A Truck reminds me of that little car in the childrens tale. The big surprise there was that there was no end to the number of clowns that emerged from the tiny vehicle. Just when you thought they had reached their limit, another would emerge.
IAAT contains no end of surprises. Even before the reader has a chance to settle, another twist in this tale reveals a new permutation.
Which makes this a delightful, thoughtful book, much bigger than it seems.
Laura Frey (Reading in Bed)
Delightful. Filled with the kind of French that an Anglo Canadian can read and feel good about :)
Marilyn
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a quick read this morning and picked this up from Overdrive. This was everything you said it was in your review Katy, funny, sad, a love story, a murder mystery of sorts and a quick ending for me anyways. Never looked at the page count, it was over in two short hours, just when I felt it was getting good. 188 pages makes me wonder about a sequel.....
Anastasia
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, canadian
The mix of French and English was good. With my limited high school French I was able to read the story fairly quickly. It was good that all of these descriptions were in English or I would have been lost.

There are three important characters in the story, Agathe, Rejean and Martin, with Agathe being the main character. I really was not expecting the story to turn out the way it did. The drastic changes in the characters were not sudden. In fact, the changes made total sense.

If you are looking
Rachyl
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
When I first began reading this a month or so ago it was at the start of a reading slump, and for that reason I really wasn't enjoying it. However, when I recently tried picking it up again to finish it, I found much more that I liked about it.
I really loved the themes of identity and loss that are tackled in this book. Especially since there is so much revolving around characters finding their identity in relation to others and how that changes once those other people are absent. I found
Diane
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canlit, 2017-books
Agathe and Réjean have been married for 20 years and seem to have a good relationship. They are French and isolate themselves from the English community where they live. "Just you and me forever" sounds romantic but there's always such a thing as too much togetherness. Then Réjean's pickup truck, a Ford Silverado, is found abandoned by the side of the road and Réjean is missing. It seems he might have just walked away from his life and Agathe, left behind, has no idea why.

Agathe struggles to
Nicole Beaudry
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jpl, adult, canlit
I Am A Truck tells the story of Agathe and Rejean, a Francophone couple in small-town Acadia, surrounded by Anglophones. They live in a small home in the woods, isolated as much geographically as they are linguistically. Shortly before their twentieth anniversary, Rejean disappears. Told in a clear, compelling voice with evocative prose and incredible dialogue, Michelle Winters examines loneliness, isolation, closeness, the way language and music create worlds, relationships, links, as well as ...more
Ann-Marie
Quirky little read (only 149 pages) about love and loyalty set in the Acadian region of New Brunswick. A Giller short lister which caught my attention as I followed along this story told in English with lots of French peppered in. I imagined Agathe married to Andre the Giant and am still left curious at the end of "what happens now?" .... but that's the lovely part of life.... we never actually know.
Kimbofo
If the American filmmakers the Cohen brothers penned a novel it would be something like Michelle Winters’ I am a Truck.

This book, shortlisted for the 2017 Giller Prize, is a quirky and unconventional tale about a married couple, living in rural Acadia, whose 20-year marriage falls apart in unusual circumstances.

Throw in the wife’s forbidden obsession with rock and roll, a bat in a cage, a lonely Chevy salesman in need of a male friend, a former cheerleader who wants to study computer
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: canadian, 2017-books
the jury for the 2017 giller prize announced their longlist this past week.

David Chariandy for his novel Brother, published by McClelland & Stewart
Rachel Cusk for her novel Transit, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
David Demchuk for his novel The Bone Mother, published by ChiZine Publications
Joel Thomas Hynes for his novel We'll All Be Burnt in Our Beds Some Night: A Novel, published by HarperPerennial, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Andrée A. Michaud for her novel
Trin
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
It is like a Coen brothers movie, but like...not one of the very good ones.

I would much rather read the full story of Debbie, a minor character who disarms men with her former-cheerleader good looks, then uses her innate technical skill to steal their jobs.
Clare
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a gem of a book, with some of my favourite things, like pop/rock music references, liberally sprinkled and not translated second language dialogue, quirky characters and great writing. I can always count on Invisible Publishing to deliver my next favourite book.
Natalie Joan
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most enjoyable reads I have found in years. Absolutely delightful.
Paula Dembeck
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I easily fall for a quirky title and when I came across this novel as a finalist on the shortlist for the Giller, Canada’s most prestigious literary award, my curiosity got the best of me and I grabbed it.

This is the charming and very original story of Agathe and Réjean Lapointe, an Acadian couple who live in Pinto an English speaking town. They are not especially fond of Anglophones and live a remote cottage in the woods, isolated from most of their community. The two are a devoted couple and
Suzanne
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ben, ça c'est un bon livre, ça.

I embarked upon a project to read all of the Giller Prize nominees this year and though this wasn't my favourite*, I have a special place in my heart for it. This was a sweet little book that brought a lot of smiles to my face and just felt so lovely and familiar. Beaucoup de mes relations parlent comme ça, as I grew up in a bilingual town with a lot of people who spoke this type of franglais. I felt like I knew ces gens là.

I Am a Truck explores big issues like
❀ Susan G
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

As we get ready to celebrate the 2017 Scotiabank Giller Prize winner, I am reading my way through the short-list including: Son of a Trickster (Eden Robinson, who I had the privilege to meet at a Laurier event in February), Transit (Rachel Cusk), Bellevue Square (Michael Redhill, who I met in September and a blog post is pending), Minds of Winter (Ed O’Loughlin) and I am a Truck (Michelle Winters).

I am a Truck is a very quick read. I would actually suggest
LindaJ^
3.5 stars rounded to 4.0.

On the eve of their 20th wedding anniversary, Agathe and Rejean are separated when Rejean disappears, leaving his newest Chevy truck on the side of the road with the door open and most of his lunch uneaten. Agathe and Rejean are French speakers who live in an Anglo town in Canada. They deeply love each other and have agreed to give each other hand made presents on their 20th. After a couple of months with no information on about Rejean, Agathe is forced to get a job. She
Chantel Dandeneault
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was hard to read.
At times it was very intriguing, but quickly went back to mundane. There is a lot of things that happen that are not that important to the story that just happen.
It’s in interesting concept, but I don’t relate to any of the characters.
I found it hard to read because the couple in the book are living in rural Acadia so they speak French all the time. I needed google translate to keep up.

Over all not my jam.
Susan
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was another Giller prize short listed novel. Mercifully it was very short - it only took a day to read. It also presented an interesting challenge as a significant amount of the dialogue was in French which put my French skills to the test. But the story didn't engage me and in the end it felt too contrived.
Maybaby
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was up for the Giller? The book was a fair bit of nonsense that ruined the potential the story had. It barely kept me engaged. The only realized character in the story was Agathe. So much potential and so disappointing. Holes in the story you could drive a truck through (no pun intended).
Linda Saunders
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Someone else said this was an “ odd duck”...Yep!
I finished it just to see if it would redeem itself at some point..Nope!
I did give it two stars ... a sympathy rating ...sorry...I just don’t see why it was nominated ...let alone short-listed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »