Start by marking “The Good Fight (Time Served #3)” as Want to Read:
The Good Fight (Time Served #3)

Read Book

The Good Fight

(Time Served #3)

"If you're looking for a gritty story with a lot of heat (and I mean a lot) and real characters, I'd definitely recommendTime Served."—DearAuthor.com

Julianna Keyes returns to the wrong side of the tracks in this third installment of her wildly popular Time Served series

Published July 25th 2016 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Good Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Fight

Start your review of The Good Fight (Time Served #3)
Alyssa

Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: July 25, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

I was born a fighter. You had to be, to survive in Camden. Lucky for me, I loved it. The thrill, the pain, the glory. Until one night things went too far and I almost lost my ticket out.

So I s
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
I was looking for that tension and angst from Undecided and I didn't find it here. Still this author is a good writer because both characters were compelling protagonists. Oscar Hall uses boxing to cope with the tragedy that took his loved ones from him when he trip to the emergency road brought Dr. Susan Jones into this life. Susan Jones was a brilliant surgeon who needed someone to see past the mask she hid behind. This book was a process of emotional maturity for both characters.

I was really
Sam (AMNReader)
Susan and Oscar.

Putting their names there in case I forget... So, I've mentioned numerous times how I just love Julianna Keyes and yet this series really seems to call that into question. I think the root of the problem is these difficult love stories and characters, sometimes they can seem too much. I haven't trusted all the HEAs.

This one felt...off. half the time I didn't know why they'd want to be together. I liked the hero. The heroine was unrelatable for me. She was too all over the place.
Talltree
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I've read jerk H's but this one had a jerk h and the H was a masochist for going back for more.
IMO this HEA won't last or if it does, its an unhealthy relationship.
Also since this was in the H's pov found it very hard to understand or like the h.

3 stars.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shaky start, but ultimately a really good story. Even expecting the gritty read and the realistic character portrayal that Keyes is known for; I still had a bit of a hard time getting into the book at first. Oscar (Oz) was fine, I rather liked him. Susan was much harder to warm up to. Even well into the book she was in many ways a flawed, almost unlikable character. Susan is the sister of Caitlin Dufresne (from the last book 'In Her Defense'). In that book, she was the ice queen Surgeon mother o ...more
Maria Rose
The Good Fight by Julianna Keyes is the third story in her Time Served series. I really enjoyed the first one of this series, somehow missed the second (I’ll fix that soon) and dived in eagerly into this one.

Oscar ‘Oz’ Hall has been to hell and back. As a young man, he grew up on the gritty streets of Camden, and like most of his friends got into trouble. One fight too many and his best friend suffered a paralyzing injury for which he feels responsible, changing Oscar’s life and hustling him out
Heather Stanton
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aar-reviews
Who doesn’t love a good opposites attract romance? It’s one of my favorite tropes in fiction, so it’s a good possibility I was predestined to like this book. With a hero who is as comfortable throwing punches in the ring as he is behind a desk and a neurosurgeon heroine, I snatched it up and enjoyed it immensely.

Though he’s a little rough around the edges, Oscar “Oz” Hall is a renaissance man who lives in a shabby town badly in need of renovation and revitalization. He’s not afraid to fight, but
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
I don’t know about this, so I’ll go with 3 stars. Ultimately, so much promise, and then I was left disappointed.

I appreciate, very much, Keyes’s commitment to writing unusual and not necessarily likeable characters. She’s trying to find romance in unusual places and often between unusual people. There’s something to be said for that. I often have difficulty identifying with contemporary romance. Everyone is a bit too shiny [happy people laughing]. Not so with Keyes.

I was really looking forward
Tracie Payne
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
So it was good, but I dunno, I felt like the characters were just too dramatic. Not knowing really why for a good part of the book has something to do with it I guess. I find a town completely in disarray hard to picture. Some of his inner thoughts and actions just had me scratching my head wondering "what's the big deal?" And the h was so cold and hard to relate too. I loved the first two books a ton, but this one just fell short.
Kini
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I have added it to my DIK collection on my kindle. You can find my full review at a href="http://smexybooks.com/2016/07/review-... ...more
MBR
Book 3 in the Time Served series was a novel experience for me. This was my first time reading a book told in the first person totally from the hero’s point of view.

34 year old Oscar Hall is the one who managed to get away from the shit hole that is pretty much Camden where he grew up. Years later, having had the success he had sought back then, Oscar returns, wanting to give back something to the community that is pretty much wasting away.

Oscar meets the formidable Dr. Susan Dufresne Jones by c
new_user
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Couldn't bring myself to care about Dr. Jones. She didn't want a relationship, resisted it every step of the way, wouldn't open up, was rude and cold, and all I thought of her was, why bother? It's ironic because I've read many books with the roles reversed... But I guess those guys are at least a bit warmer. Susan is ice, robotic. Still great writing.
Courtney
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Julianna Keyes! What I loved most about this book was the fact that it's told entirely from the male POV, Oscar, but we definitely know and learn all about his heroine, Dr. Susan Jones who may start as a really unlikeable character - self-absorbed, selfish, arrogant. A lot of things we in romance see more often associated with the male heroes. Theirs isn't the easiest path to their HEA, but the bumps and bruises were emotional and well-worth the ending.

Heather andrews
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Susan, girl got some balls, "he shrugs. “You’re not twenty-one anymore. If you were effing those girls, there’s no way you’d have the energy to drive to Chicago after to see me.” My mouth falls open. “But if you decide to eff them, save yourself the trip and stay in Camden, because I’m not interested in being your second choice.” Oscar was a good man but it was Susan who was more entertaining in this book, I really liked her.
juviasft
What I liked the most about this book was the author willingness to write unusual characters and not even likeable ones. Often, in romance, all the characters are too 'perfect', too good to be unlikeable or to not be forgiven when 'they do something wrong'. On this book I felt the characters easy to relate to, so that was a huge plus for me.

However, after Oz finds a way to achieve his dream, the plot felt a little stuck. On the one hand, I liked reading their slow romance with all the problems t
Faith89
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Netgalley copy
This is book three in the series but can be read a stand alone The story seemed dirty and dreary.The town where most of the story happens is dreary. Oscar's life is dreary. The gym is dreary. Yet there is a smidgen of hope throughout the story. It was kind of hard to like these characters. They both were kind of hard to get to know. Oscar ,because he was closed off after the a couple of tragedies in his youth. He used fighting to express his feelings. He reacted a lot before thinki
Helyce
I really liked this story. Had a little trouble with the heroine, Susan, being so cold and robotic. It's addressed, several times, and at one point Susan explains herself, saying all the right words, but I still didn't FEEL that she'd evolved. I loved Oscar. Events in the story broke my heart, but all with purpose to get to the HEA.

Really enjoying this author. Looking forward to checking out the backlist.
Pamela / SpazP
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This author is auto-buy for me, and she delivers every time. I love her voice and I love the stories she has to tell. May she never stop giving them to us!
Kim
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

As an unapologetic fan of Julianna's NA novels, I was excited to check out her adult titles. I've been slowly but surely making my way through her backlist over the last few months. Sadly, this is THE LAST of her books that I hadn't read, so now I'm going to have to either re-read her books or wait for her next release. *sobs* But, that's not really the point here, is it? I REALLY enjoyed The Good Fight. It was as delightfully hot and dirty as
Myrtus
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Julianna Keyes and I have to say, it was a pleasant surprise. It's a very enjoyable story, with refreshing characterizations and a healthy sense of humor, which doesn't mean there is no drama or angst. There is plenty of everything, but the author found the right balance. Incredibly, not even the romance gets overwhelming.

The hero, Oscar/Oz, is the main character and the only POV, which means we don't get any insights into the heroine, that don't affect him directly. I
Steph
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What could a huge fighter from the wrong side of the tracks possibly have in common with an in-demand Chicago doctor? A lot, and nothing at all, it turns out!

The second Oscar Hall lays eyes on Dr. Susan Jones, he's a goner. Serves him right for being in the hospital due to a rogue watermelon incident. It seems like every time he sees the gorgeous Chicago neurosurgeon he's at his worst, but for some reason she still keeps coming back. Tough thing is that she's unable (or unwilling) to commit to a
virtualb
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great story from Julianna Keyes featuring complex characters that could be unlikeable that you end up rooting for anyways. This story is a bit unusual as it's told completely from the male character's point of view. Oz is macho prideful but also generous and caring; the story follows his reconciliation of his background with his education, past employment, and current position in life. Dr. Susan Jones, like her sister, the heroine of the previous book in the series, is another direct, dr ...more
Katherine
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story blew me away. On the surface, it’s a dirty talking bad boy, first person narrative meeting an educated doctor (female). But it’s so much more. Fresh starts, new beginnings, second chances, figuring out who you are, accepting your mistakes of the past, making some new ones. Such a rich story, with amazing supporting characters. Read it. You don’t have to have read books 1 and 2 to enjoy 3. The entire series is good. You won’t regret reading them.

Bought from kobo
Sadie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Oscar - Oz to his friends - is one of the privileged few to get out of Camden. A crap town attached to the edge of Chicago with more concrete than trees. He is definitely an idiot to come back. But he does. And for a while it is good. Until a certain doctor throws his perfectly balanced life out of whack.

This is not my first Juliana Keyes book but when Oz showed up in the first one he intrigued me. I was far less intrigued by the end of this book... I still liked Oz but this is the first time i
Heidi Dover
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked-plus
Enjoyed this. Liked the uniqueness of the characters, esp the heroine, with her cool personality. As I've come to enjoy so much with JK's stories and characters, both are human and real and make human and real mistakes, hurt each other, but own up and deal. Had a little bit of a struggle with the whole property buying thing (view spoiler) ...more
Jackie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the depth of character development in this third book in Keyes' TIME SERVED series, especially that of Susan, who is definitely NOT your typical nice girl romance heroine (she struck me as perhaps on the autism spectrum, although the storyline gives her nurture reasons for her difficulties with social relations). Thoughtful depiction of class issues, too, with the community center/garden that the male protagonist is working to establish in his old neighborhood, in economically dep ...more
Claudia
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dragana
After three month's I don't remember enough about this book to write a decent review. All I can remember that the couple was very unlikely pair.
Diana
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God, these two were exasperating! What a relief when they finally figured it out. Challenging read, but worth it.
Svitlana
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julianna Keyes writes the best, most lovable bitches. Loved this last installment to Time Served series. Loved all three career women in the series, and their stories.

• Heartland (True North, #7)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • The Lord I Left (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #3)
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Widow of Rose House
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Silent Run
  • Christmas in the City
  • Snapdragon (Love Conquers None #1)
  • Faker
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • The Fight for Forever (Legend Trilogy #3)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Truth or Dare
  • Hush Now Baby (Sloane Monroe #6)
Julianna Keyes is a Canadian writer who has lived on both coasts and several places in between. She's been skydiving, bungee jumping and white water rafting, but nothing thrills - or terrifies - her as much as the blank page. She loves Chinese food, foreign languages, baseball and television, not necessarily in that order, and will go to her grave swearing that 'ain't' is not a word. She has volun ...more

Time Served (3 books)
  • Time Served (Time Served #1)
  • In Her Defense (Time Served #2)