Start by marking “Destination Dachshund: A Travel Memoir: Three Months, Three Generations & Sixty Dachshunds” as Want to Read:

AMAZON BEST SELLING BOOK
...'This is a fabulous read with so much to enjoy – a travel journal with real heart.'
...'Lisa has such an engaging way of writing that just pulls you in. It's hard to stop reading.'

Destination Dachshund offers a unique twist on the travel memoir with remembrance for those who have been loved and lost, at the heart of one family’s extraordinary j
Published April 10th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Destination Dachshund, please sign up.
Lisa Fleetwood Hi Julia, yes Coco was a smooth hair. Charlie is smooth as well, as are the new puppies Barney and Rosie. I really LOVE the names of your dachshunds…moreHi Julia, yes Coco was a smooth hair. Charlie is smooth as well, as are the new puppies Barney and Rosie. I really LOVE the names of your dachshunds and I am do glad you enjoyed reading Destination Dachshund. Lovely to hear from you, Lisa :-)(less)

Julie Haigh
A lovely warm read!

What wonderful presentation this book has, who can resist that gorgeous cover pic?! Lisa Fleetwood and her family propose to make a three-month trip from Australia to Europe-in the lead up to Christmas. I had not got very far into the book and already I was getting a lovely cosy feeling from it! It’s a lovely warm read, light-hearted, with many giggles. I LOVED the chatty, conversational, humorous tone. It’s interesting, informative, and often funny. I enjoyed sightseeing with
Sally906
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked it - I really related to the emotional outpouring when their wee doggie died - and she is SO right - people say oh why are you so upset its just a dog. No - it's not JUST a dog - it's family.
Pat Ellis
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this travel memoir - nicely written and easy to feel engaged with the author, her husband and their family + mum and in-laws on 'the trip of a life-time' - from Australia to Estonia and beyond + Europe - the Dachshund spotting was a 'poignant' part of this book too. Nice light-hearted read - interesting to revisit places I have been lucky enough to travel to and also to visit places that remain on my 'bucket list'.
Pamela Barrett
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After 2 years of planning, Australian Travel Blogger Lisa Fleetwood and her husband Anthony are taking their 2 teenagers, her mom, and his mom and dad on the vacation of a lifetime: 3 months over the Christmas Holidays through multiple countries. As the time gets closer to their departure there is one thing making them anxious; they can’t take their 2 dachshunds, Charlie and Coco, with them on the trip. Even knowing that good friends will be taking care of their furbabies they still will miss th ...more
Sandra McKenna
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing three month holiday with Lisa Fleetwood and her Dachsund loving family from Sydney in Australia through several countries and ending up in the USA.
Each destination is so vividly described that the reader could almost be there with them.
A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Bill Tillman
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book of a different stripe from what I normally read. Loved the mix of Dixie references, hated the drinking like wow hollow legs. Be sure to download the two PET's of great pics & maps from the links.
Susan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little travelogue. I found the Australian perspective on the magic of winter and Christmas entertaining. And what a trip of the lifetime! To take 3 months to travel throughout Europe, part of the US, and end up in New York in time for the winter holidays! I love that the extended family was able to be part of much of the trip, complete with a massive (27 people!) family get together at one point.

I did like the descriptions of Russia and the Balkans the most, as there was a hint o
Lynn Reynolds
I almost didn't listen to this book. Boy am I glad that I took a chance. This was a great way to travel without having to leave my little neck of the woods. It's also a great way to get children involved. I can picture getting a world map and follow Ms. Fleetwood's adventure with her family. It may even give you some ideas of things to do with your own children while on vacation.

Ms. Mcfie was a pleasure to listen to. She helped me relax and really listen to the descriptions and history of the pl
Elizabeth
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
One for dachshund lovers and armchair world travellers. Lisa may as well have packed me in her suitcase! From the beginning I felt like I was right there, exploring exotic locations along with her and her extended family. Lisa also poignantly tracks the grief felt at the unexpected recent loss of one of the beloved family dogs. During the long planned trip she is a tour host extraordinaire, acting not only as tour organiser and bridge between the generations, but emotional barometer for all, too ...more
cyndi
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a Fun Read

I enjoyed this warm and insightful book. I felt like I was walking along on the mangroves and in the same countries. The author wrote with such passion and love. Often I found myself wanting to holler Dashound!!!! I am so happy I read this story and I felt the authors tears with her loss so simular to my loss. A must read for Graceland dog loves alike.
Jacqueline Roberts
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Such a pleasure to share this family vacation with the author. Three months extensive travel near and far with a couple, their 12and 15 year olds and three 70 year old parents. Lisa Fleetwood invites us along as they experience new adventures and dachshund sightings along the way. So readable.
Thom Swennes
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anthony and Lisa Fleetwood have been planning a three-month long vacation with all the family. David and Maree, David’s parents, Patricia, Lisa’s mother, Sam, and Holly, the couple’s two teenage children. This trip is one to really look forward to as it is literally a trip around the world. The family fly from Sydney to Singapore and then on to Istanbul, Turkey. They spent a few days in each location enjoying the sights. Leaving at the start of the Australian summer, November might not seem like ...more
Shaun Griffiths
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Robb
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, those who like to read travel memoirs
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
This was a well balanced memoir about a husband, wife, son and daughter who set out for a three month vacation in a number of countries with both grandmothers and one grandfather. Just before they leave, one of their two dachshunds is killed by a snake. (Their other dachshund is kept by a neighbor during the vacation.)

The memoir manages to put in travel destinations and sights without becoming a boring recitation of facts. The author also manages to include some humor and some sad times that occ
Robin Riedstra
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘Destination Dachshund’ is a family travel memoir. It details three generations of family travelling through Europe, the UK and the USA. The memoir is written with humour and warmth and explored the interplay of families on vacation. Which includes moments of tension and also joy. One of the major unifying factors of these three generations is their love of the noble Sausage Dog. A love that I too share. Throughout the exploration of exotic locations such as Tallinn, Estonia and Bayeux, France, ...more
Jan
Following the sudden death of a parent, Lisa begins plans for a 3 month holiday for 3 grandparents, 2 parents and 2 kids touring many countries around the world from their home in Australia. The trip was incredibly well planned, but the sad note just before the onset of the trip was the sudden death of one of their 2 dachshunds. The recounting of places, sited, joys of children (tongue firmly in cheek), and sighting of dachsies is a delight to share. Near the end of the trip, they were (this was ...more
Leslie Fisher
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It worked on so many levels for me. First of all, I am a "crazy doxie lady," so I love anything relating to dachshunds. I'm also glad to know that my family is not the only one that plays "Spot the dachshund." Also, I absolutely love travel, and though I did most of my travel prior to having a family and kids, I would like to travel overseas with my family eventually, and this book listed great sites, great methods for traveling and touring, and even special considerations whe ...more
Melissa Bromley
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully captivating, read! Destination Dachshund is a humorous, yet moving memoir of a three generational family’s journey through Asia, Europe and the USA. As the family deal with the grief of death, there are moments that tugged at the heartstrings as well as a whole load of hilarious anecdotes, a bit of history and of course, the dachshund spotting!

This book is a well-paced read and the rich descriptions captured the sights, smells and flavours of Christmas time in the northern hem
Susan
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once I saw this book's title, I knew that I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed. Since the title let's readers know that there were 60 dachshunds in this book, I know that I am not giving any spoiler's. The author and her family travel to many countries and because they love dachshunds, they make a game of who spots that breed of dog first.

There are funny stories of being on tours in multiple countries and they tend to spend more time looking for dachshunds instead of listening to the tour gui
Alison Sigmon
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hope for family travel!

Enjoy an entertaining romp through multiple countries that makes one actually believe a multiple month trip with extended family is possible! The journey offered the family heart-warming reflection points as they toured many historic places and a lighthearted, continuous game of dachshund spotting along the way. Although this book is a kind of travel journey that provides tips for planning and some lessons learned, it's even more about the love of family and shared time in
Deborah Beijer
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for Dachshund and travel lovers. A 3 month trip with three generations of Dachshund owners. Funny, informative, and very well written. I can almost believe I was in some of the places this family visited. All the while keeping track of all the Dachshund sightings from one country to another. They were missing their fur baby back home and arranged Skype sessions with him and the people that were taking very good care of him while they traveled.
Karunakaran N.
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Destination Dachshund: A Travel Memoir: Three Months, Three Generations and Sixty Dachshunds... A wonderful memoir, trotting around the globe and keeping the reader in the flow of events by spotting the Dachshunds around the globe. A simple genuine and authentic expression of the mind that many travelers want to express but never found the way to express, which was successfully done by the author. A true read indeed.
Carol Ash
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing and delightful story! Thank you for sharing your travels with us, Lisa. This will be a great reference when I plan a trip abroad. As a dog lover, I particularly enjoyed your focus on seeking out more dachshunds, whether in your travels or at home. Congratulations on writing a beautiful memoir!
Rhonda Mayorga
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful travel book! This book is chock full of history and factually based travel information in conjunction with funny asides and dog-friendly humor. I love the author's take on family based travel and the way she intertwines her travel tales with history. Her story is delightful and entertaining! So sad about Coco, but so happy to see that Charlie has new friends.
Pia Edberg
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while I was flying to California and I quite enjoyed it. It sounds like quite the feat to be able to pack your entire family and 3 generations for a gigantic trip! It seemed like the perfect time to read this book as I was about to spend a week with 3 generations of my partner's family as well and to read that it was all possible. I highly recommend this book!
Paulina Bellantonio
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute and light read. It was well written, had great descriptions of the places that were visited on this epic family vacation. My favorite parts were the chapters on Krakow (from my native land of Poland and a city I loved exploring) and NYC, the place I've lived since I was 4.
Julia Dawn Mason
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I loved reading this book because I can understand the attraction of the dachshund. We currently have a

Black and tan long hair and short hair result miniature male and a long hair black,white,brown and pink female
Mimi
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoyable story. Lisa must have been a storyteller from birth. I loved going on holidays with her and her family. We had so much fun. Oh, I wasn't there.. but it sure felt like it.
Loved it!
Heather
This book follows the adventures of Lisa and her family (husband, kids, mother and in-laws) as they travel through 15 countries, taking in the culture and spotting dachshunds. It was a cute read, and I enjoyed it particularly since I have visited many of the places and it brought back fond memories.
Anna Ballard
This was a trip from Australia to New York via Asia then continuing around the world back to Australia. There was a family consisting of 2 parents, 2 children, 2 grandmothers, and 1 grandfather. It was not what I was expecting. I expected descriptions of the cities they visited and the monuments or museums they saw and perhaps a mention of a particularly good (or bad) restaurant where they ate. But a typical entry goes something like this - Visited Moscow, saw the Kremlin, found great restaurant ...more
“He does that sometimes, our Charlie, when he can’t find us in the house. I see it as ‘abandonment retaliation.’ A kind of—Where were you when I wanted you? It’s like he is trying to say, ‘I searched and searched the whole house and NOTHING. You were nowhere. Therefore, I shall poo in your bedroom.” 2 likes