Start by marking “The Edge of the Blade (The Uncharted Realms #2)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of the Blade (The Uncharted Realms #2)

The Edge of the Blade (The Uncharted Realms #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  455 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A HAWK'S PLEDGE
"The Twelve Kingdoms rest uneasy under their new High Queen, reeling from civil war and unchecked magics. Few remember that other powers once tested their borders until a troop of foreign warriors emerges with a challenge . . ."

Jepp has been the heart of the queen's elite guard, her Hawks, since long before war split her homeland. But the ease and grace t
Published December 27th 2016 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published December 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of the Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of the Blade

Marta Cox
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Well this follow up to The Pages of the Mind is yet another book that features a really strong woman. If Dafne the librarian was sweet, studious and brave then Jepp the surprise ambassador is assertive, confident and pretty full on. It's been a while since I've read a book with someone so self aware but make no mistake this brash female knows what she wants and happily revels in taking it! Although with appetites like hers has Jepp bitten off more than she can comfortably handle when it comes to ...more
Katie Michaels
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I was very curious about what kind of heroine Jepp was going to be. One of Queen Ursula’s Hawks, she has been part of the Twelve Kingdoms since the very beginning. The only thing we really knew about her was that she was a great scout out and really, really enjoyed having sex. Unfortunately for her, she jumped into bed with Harlan’s brother, Prince Kral, without understanding the consequences. In the Dasnarian culture, there is no such thing as a one night stand. Either you be ...more
Timitra
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are things I'm always guaranteed to get while reading a Jeffe Kennedy fantasy, action, adventure and heart. The Edge of the Blade is no different, it's chock full of all plus filled with intrigued. It is an enemies to lovers that has a great banter between the hero and heroine that had me chuckling to no end. I thoroughly recommend it and cannot wait to read the next in the series.

ARC provided by publisher through Net Galley in exchange for a honest review
Mara
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I read it thanks to Anna :)
And yes, Anna, the heroine keeps her coherence :D. I wasn't a fan of this story (series), but I did like The Edge of the Blade. The end was a little mushy and overall it seemed the easy way out.
The heroine was all brawn and no brain, whereas Daphne was all brain. But at least this time the heroine kept true to herself. The hero was almost irredeemable for half the book, I was really wondering how the author would save him, and
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Romance
4 solid stars

An unconventional heroine, a conventional hero, action, court intrigue, and a very good ending. Finally, the romance, action, and fantasy are seamless! I look forward to the next book in this serried.

Better to read this starting at Ursula's book but best read in series order.
Douglas Meeks
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well in what seems to be a theme in this follow on series to The 12 Kingdoms we have yet another over-the-top alpha males that I seldom enjoy but this time at least we have what was supposed to be a strong heroine and IS except when around him she just melts most but not all of the time.

The above scenario thankfully does not carry on for the whole book but it did to the point I was getting tired of it but we have a change of location and the rules all change and I did enjoy the mental exercise t
Bambi Unbridled
description

In this latest installment of the Twelve Kingdoms spinoff, we are off to the Uncharted Realm of Dasnaria, where men are self-important and women are seen and not heard. I was very much looking forward to this book to see how Jeffe's strong-willed heroines fared in such a misogynistic society. This book takes place somewhat contemporaneously with The Pages of the Mind, and I do not recommend reading any of these as a standalone. Read them in order to the full continuing story arc.
Flirting is to
Blodeuedd Finland
I so could not see a happy ending for these two. With some books, you just know, like obviously, they will live happily ever after. But here, yes I actually had doubts. Because they are SO different, I know I say that in other reviews too, but here, well they were really different! Like reeeeally different.

Jepp is all warrior, and if she wants a quick tumble, then she has a quick tumble. And she does not really care who, or what gender they are. But her latest tumble was not really the best idea
Melanie
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2016, fantasy, 4-stars
Review originally posted at RabidReads.com.

In this tale, we follow Jepp, Queen Ursula’s best scout. Their story started in The Pages of the Mind, where the queen sent them on a diplomatic mission to Dasnaria. In the first book of this spinoff series, they made a stop in which Dafne, the original ambassador stayed behind in Nahanau. That put Jepp in the position of ambassador, a role she was never meant to play. Jepp doesn’t have a diplomatic bone in her body. She is a spy, a scout and sometimes,
Marlene
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

What makes Jeffe Kennedy’s Twelve Kingdoms/Uncharted Realms series so awesome is the way that all of her heroines have incredible amounts of agency, whether they are supposed to or not. And the way that often very nontraditional women manage to make their own way in the world without giving away that agency or resulting in what is considered stereotypical feminine behavior.

Jepp is no exception to those rules. She is a scout, spy, warrior, occasional assassi
Maria Rose
The second story in the Uncharted Realms series, a spin off the Twelve Kingdoms series ( this one is also tagged as Twelve Kingdoms #5) takes us on a fantastic sea voyage to the far kingdom of Dasnaria. Jepp, a member of Queen Ursula’s elite fighting Guard, the Hawks, is a fierce and competent warrior. She likes a little bedsport too, and while Prince Kral of House Konyngrr of Dasnaria was visiting his brother Harlan, the Queen’s consort, she was quite happy to sample his bedroom talents. Little ...more
Readsalot81
4.5 stars. One of the best books I've read this year. Heroine knocked my socks off. She's truly comfortable with who she is and doesn't twist herself into a pretzel just because she's not who the hero thinks she should be. Fluid sexuality and totally at ease with that..... No slut shaming in this book. Will have up for review closer to release date.

If fantasy romance is your thing, should totally check out JK's books.
Limecello
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
So I liked this book much more than The Mark of the Tala - I think it helps I liked most the characters referenced; and it felt like a more complete story.
Much more actual interaction between the hero and heroine. [I'm guessing book 3 we have the magical creature(s) hunting down the evil priestess?]

Very sexy - good rapport, again the stoic rather emotionally stunted hero, but this time with a rather recalcitrant heroine.
I like that Jeffe writes such a variety of heroines.

I'm definitely looking
Red
So, I've received an ARC of this book in exchange of a review and...I am freaking happy about it !!!! I really REALLY enjoyed this one and I am glad I got the opportunity to discover this fine author. I don't know if I would have enjoyed the previous book in this series (as much as this one...for reasons...) but if this one is any indication I am sure they are solid good read. I was a bit lost at the beginning, though, seeing as I wasn't familiar with the story that started 4 to 5 five books bef ...more
Alison
I'm in love!

I've only just discovered Jeffe Kennedy (and mainly because she's FB friends with the amazing Grace Draven) but wow, I can't believe what I've missed. Having ploughed through the Sorcerous Moons books I saw this available on NetGalley and auto-clicked. Despite this being the second book in the series I was immediately hooked on this tale of Jepp, a warrior and scout unexpectedly catapulted into the role of ambassador following the true ambassador being kidnapped and forced into marri
Lynne Facer
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The continuing adventures of Jepp...are as fun as you hoped! In the prior novel in the series, Dafne has been permanently sidelined from the adventure, leaving Jepp, the hyperactive libidinous scout, to step up to Dafne's diplomatic mission. One of the challenges of a "fish out of water" story is keeping the character's integrity, so they cope and develop in consistent ways. This is well done, as we track Jepp and Kral on their mission, and watch this couple figure out if--and how--they can deve ...more
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
The Edge of the Blade is the second book in The Uncharted Realms series as well as the fifth book in The Twelve Kingdoms series. The Uncharted Realms series is a spin off from The Twelve Kingdoms series and it takes place after magic has broken free over the Twelve Kingdoms. I would recommend reading the first three books in the Kingdoms series before starting the first book in the Realms series. Now, I can say that I did not do this and that is where I am getting my suggestion from, my experien ...more
A.C. Cole
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jess Hale
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall I enjoyed this better than the others in the Twelve Kingdoms series, but mainly for the main relationship - I thought the plot was a bit uneven in pacing and didn't really go anywhere.

(view spoiler)
Angela ReadingCave
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Edge of the Blade is the second book in the spin-off series Uncharted Realms. Jepp’s character was introduced to the reader in The Twelve Kingdom series- as the best scout in Princess then Queen Ursula’s guard- the Hawks. Jepp originally went on a diplomatic trip as the body guard of Dafne, now she is the queen’s ambassador to Dasnaria. A job she is ill fitted for as she does not have a diplomatic bone in her body.

Jepp is a fish out of water in Kral’s world. There woman or docile, cherished
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
The Edge of the Blade is another exciting tale in the wonderful fantasy romance Uncharted Realms series by Jeffe Kennedy. The book opens about midway through the action of the previous book, when Jepp must take over as the Dasnarian emissary. Trapped on a boat with the misogynistic, yet utterly sexy and entertaining Prince Kral, Jepp tries to learn the ways of Dasnaria as not to let down her queen. Trying to hold on to what makes Jepp all she is while figuring out how to maneuver the political w ...more
Joy
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book as soon as I finished the previous one, and adored it just as much. This is a fantasy series with romance, and this book follows Jepp after she had to leave Dafne behind in the island kingdom, putting her in charge of a diplomatic mission. Yeah, have a scout who stabs first and asks questions later be a diplomat, great idea. ;)

Jepp’s character arc was great fun, as she is an unabashed hedonist who loves men (and women) and sex, and the initial setup where she’s in forced ab
Vickie
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG this was soooo exciting. The best book yet! I read it in one day.

This was so Jep all tough on the outside but hurting on the inside that I just wanted to reach in and hug her. Karlan was just the right blend of tough and loving for her. The story was timeless, the world, as usual, was enticing and the people were all evil or good enough. The surprises just kept coming. Everything about this book was great. I want to give it 5+ stars. The ending felt a bit abrupt but that only made me want to
Indie Vargas
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I don’t really know what to feel about this book, it wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t good either, I found the main character Jepp to be really annoying sometimes and the pacing really slow, for most part of the book the setting takes place on a ship which gets pretty boring after a while. I did like the romance between Jepp and love interest Kral, it’s very adorable and it’s what redeems the slow pacing and boring setting.

Got a copy of this book via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review
Jo Oehrlein
Interesting to see the different kinds and amounts of power women have in different cultures and situations and social classes.

Women really run the gamut in this book from evil to good, from traditional to non, from powerless to powerful.

I think Kral's really the one who changes the most in this book. We learn some about Jepp and her background, but I think this book really just reinforces a lot that we know about her already.

boudour
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: g-fantasy, g-romance
I like Jepp but given that I don't share her lust for Kral I kept wondering why she put up with him when he was so arrogant, hypocritical and from such a deeply misogynistic society. Sure, he evolved, but the only interesting bit for me was when they finally made it to Dasnarria and we got to discover the ways of the foreign court. With regards to the wider plot, this didn't really feel like a whole book, more of a tease of things to come. I will be looking forward to Karyn's story.
Betsy Simmons
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent addition to the series. Couldn't put it down

Another wonderful tale of the 13 Kingdoms. I love how each book in the series is told from the perspective of a different character. This provides great and disparate insight into the world while keeping in touch with all the characterrs we came to know and love in the previous books. Classic good vs evil and compelling storytelling. Can't wait for the next in the uncharted realms series!
BookPauper
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lady-crush

3.5

I was a bit disappointed. Jepp is one of the more interesting characters in the series, she's very self aware and strong. I really like her 'take me as I am' attitude. Her book just didn't pack the punch that she does. The first half of the book dragged for me. After that it picked up, but still that's a big chunk of kinda so-so to get through. Jepp is a wily force of nature. I wish her book had been the same.
Pilar Seacord
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this story from beginning to end. Jepp ends up being the ambassador to her kingdom but women do not have jobs in Dasnaria so the king throws her out of the court. Prince Kral is very attracted to Jepp but she does not do one on one relationships. Intrigue, romance, honor, betrayal and adventure. Highly recommend.
Nicole Luiken
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, sf-fantasy
Jepp is awesome! Such a fun, larger-than-life humourously-flawed character, who's in over her head on a diplomatic/spying mission. Great scenes with her and Kral. I also enjoyed the change of scene fro the Twelve Kingdoms to the oppressive empire of Dasnaria.
I also write books under the name Jennifer Paris.

Represented by Sarah Younger at Nancy Yost Literary Agency.
More about Jeffe Kennedy

The Uncharted Realms (4 books)
  • The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1)
  • The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms #3)
  • The Arrows of the Heart (The Uncharted Realms #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)