Start by marking “Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #2)

Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  7,584 Ratings  ·  903 Reviews
SHE'S DESTINED TO DESTROY THE WORLD...
"Cat" Catalia Fisa has been running from her destiny since she could crawl. But now, her newfound loved ones are caught between the shadow of Cat's tortured past and the threat of her world-shattering future. So what's a girl to do when she knows it's her fate to be the harbinger of doom? Everything in her power.

BUT NOT IF SHE CAN HEL
Published January 3rd 2017 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

Katerina
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“You're the shield, and I'm the sword. Together, we'll forge a new world.”

A spellbinding, utterly delicious fantasy romance novel!

I can hardly put into words how much I loved Breath of Fire, or why I loved it so intensely and reverently. It wasn't just the accurate depiction of greek mythology (which was obviously the result of thorough research), combined with a unique and whimsical world full of magical creatures and heart-pounding battles. Nor just the wonderful characters whose banters,
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this, but it took me over a week to get through it - which is always indicative of what?

description

That I enjoyed it...but had no problem putting it down.

Why, you ask?

Because TRIALS.

Trials, trials, trials...

description

No, not a jury trial, but a trial of performance AKA constant battles and fighting scenes.

CONSTANT.

Now, I love me some action scenes...but this book felt like one crusade after another.
One test of ability after another.

One more opportunity for Cat to suddenly "find" new abilities
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
$0.62 on US Amazon today! July 30, 2017.

Original review:
I have some issues, but I also really liked it. What can I say. The fantasy aspects are REALLY good, but the relationship angst finally started to get on my nerves. I saw some typical romance drama-llama that I wish hadn't been included. The Agon Games section made up for most of it. That part was truly a page-turner (about 70% in).

Kato was a highlight. I am becoming a Kato fangirl. Yes.

So was Lycheron, the well-endowed centaur/Ipotane cr
Choko
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
*** 3.25 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalos!

It was OK. There is a reason I started it several months ago and put it on hold for later, hoping that maybe it was my mood making me not properly appreciate it. The second book in the Kingmaker Chronicles started where the first one left off. I thought, having had the two paramor hook up and pledging eternal love, the author would get to the business of Fantasy, prevail against the evil nobility and Queen, while having Cat and Griffin's romance in the
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
2.5 stars. Blasted. Gah. I wanted to love this so much.

I'm willing to bet most who pick up this series will love it. It's either lusty romance (way too much for me) or pure bat shit crazy action on every page. SO much happens and there's rarely a dull moment. Okay but that's the problem... WAY too much weird action and icky smut. I'm so over this.

I read the first book and didn't hate it though I personally felt it was full of relationship issues (oh lordy don't get me started.) I guess with thi
Helen 2.0
Goodreads just swallowed up my review. I'm too lazy and irritated to rewrite, but you can all trust that it was a great review, right? Right.

So anyway, summed up, 3.5 stars because the world and supporting characters are still awesome, but Cat is really starting to get on my nerves. She's ridiculously overpowered in every respect, but still messes everything up with her self-pity and -hate.

Unnecessary drama and inner dialogue make the book drag in a lot of places.
Alyssa
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars.

GIVEAWAY
Win a paperback copy of A Promise of Fire and a signed bookplate! Ends 01/25.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Breath of Fire by Amanda Bouchet
Book Two of the Kingmaker Chronicles
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: January 3, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

SHE'S DESTINED TO DESTROY THE WORLD...
"Cat" Catalia Fisa has been running from her d
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

““You’re the shield, and I’m the sword.”

What an action packed and thrilling series!

Breath of Fire begins where A Promise of Fire left off, and with one of Cat’s big secrets revealed. It becomes clear that Griffin and the team need more to protect their city from outside. From there they go on a quest to a wizard to tell them what they need to achieve this, and the adventure begins from there…

“It’s time to be the person you were meant to be, Cat. You don’t just have to make decisi
Jilly
At the end of this book the author thanks a few other authors for their encouragement and help, but she forgot a VERY important writing team: Ilona Andrews. Because the big exciting event in this book was a giant rip-off of the Midnight Games in the Kate Daniels series.

She may think we didn't notice, but we did.

Now, since I loved the Midnight Games, and anything Kate Daniels, and I'm not a lawyer, I enjoyed this recycled idea. I mean, really, when are death-sports NOT fun? You know, other than f
Douglas Meeks
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let us start this review with a quiz!

You wake up and say loving things to your mate, he goes into a rage over something you meant to tell him but never did but really should not affect your relationship. He destroys every bit of furniture in the room, including some things you really loved, then physically abuses you a bit and leaves saying he can’t be with you anymore. You do what?

Times up! If your answer is apologize for making him mad and admit that everything is your fault because now he is
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

OMG what an exhilarating ride!!!!!

“You are my heartbeat and my every breath.”.

Amanda Bouchet didn't hold back and started immediately were A Promise of Fire ended. And pretty much almost gutted me with anxiety when Griffin found out who Cat really was. And he was PISSED. OMG!!! I only thought no, no, no, please, not Griffin and Cat.

But, I should never have doubted the mastermind of Amanda Bouchet.

This book was one thrilling rollercoaster ride. Monsters, a vindictive mother, an icy lak
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Breath of Fire
Series: Kingmaker Chronicles
Author: Amanda Bouchet
Release date: January 3, 2017
Cliffhanger: Yes
HEA(view spoiler)

You’re the shield, and I’m the sword. Together, we’ll forge a new world.”

Phew!! What a ride these two books have been-almost nine hundred pages of pure adrenaline, angst, and adventure. This high fantasy world filled with ancient Greek Gods, awe-inspiring magic, and battles against impossible odds will have you completely spellbound. I'm not ev
Kara-karina
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Alright, peeps. Let's analyze the train wreck.

I enjoyed Promise of Fire immensely. It had huge potential, snappy comebacks and great action scenes with almost Kate Daniels' flair, so I was understandably looking forward to the second installment in the series.

What the heck happened? It seems that we hit the dreaded second book syndrome.

First of all, Breath of Fire has a lot of sex. A LOT. Usually, I am all up for it, but I've already lamented that the sex in book #1 was badly written and really
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
From Kingmaker to Harbinger aka Destroyer of realms...how the mighty have fallen. But don't worry Cat always land on her feet. (hehe)

description
The adventure continues with Cat's real identity revealed and Griffen is pissed! (Anyone else slightly annoyed main characters have literal 'pet names'? )

So we got the whole evil mother queen, kingdoms tearing apart, bloodthirsty beasts, brutal leaders BUT GUYS CAT AND GRIFFEN ARE HAVING TROUBLES SO WE NEED TO TOTALLY FOCUS ON THAT INSTEAD OF THE WHOLE FREAKING WOR
Dana

Rather disappointing sequel to the much loved A Promise of Fire. I was shocked by how much of a slog I found this to get through.

It felt as though the novel simply flitted from one boring and repetitive sex scene to the next. There was no tension or passion. It was as if the sex was a filler for the lack of plot.

I believe it was around 65% before I felt that anything truly worthwhile happened in the story, and then only in the last 15-20% where I was actually enjoying myself.

The ending was ve
Caitlin
This was just as good the second time around as it was the first time and I cannot wait for the third one to come out next year!

Original review:

”You’re the shield, and I’m the sword. Together, we’ll forge a new world.”

:) I :) AM :) IN :) PAIN :) THINKING :) ABOUT :) WAITING :) 11 :) MONTHS :) FOR :) THE :) NEXT :) BOOK :)

I feel this is the type of series that you either LOVE or absolutely despise. It’s definitely one that I predict a lot of mixed reviews on. The romance is either going to dr
Maria V. Snyder
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cat and Griffin and the Beta team are sent on a quest - lots of action and more insight into the political wranglings of the world. Also lots more sex as well. I already have the final book of the series on my shelf!
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Oh my gosh you guys.
You guys.
Read these books.

Breath of Fire started right where A Promise of Fire left off, with some fairly significant…revelations about Cat’s past coming to light. To be honest with this one, I had already guessed it about halfway through A Promise of Fire. But, it was sure interesting to see how those Cat has come to love react to the news. Hint: Griffin does not take it well at first.

But seeing Cat attempt to come to terms with her past and her role in the future of the
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
Mmmhhhmm this would be so much better if there wasn't sooo much "romance" ugh and relationship drama and smexy times. It was beyond annoying. Too much is too much. I just completely lost interest. It got old already in the first book. Such a shame since I love the mythology and all. SO. Much. Potential.
Annnndd why on earth hasn't the author given the sidecharacter POV'S!!!???!?!?
This would be so much more interesting. SO, SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING. And hellooo there's all this side character roma
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

I didn't know what to expect when I started this story. The first book had everything in it I've honestly come to dislike in fantasies. All the old and tired cliches and tropes and predictability and yet the book, the story, the characters they all worked and not only worked but completely drew you in, caught you up in everything that was happening, and there was always a lot happening. It was fabulous and shocking and completely took me by surprise.

The blend of fantasy with mystery an
Beth
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a world where magic and power rule, Cat has been hiding in plain site. But now that Cat’s cover has been blown she must dig deep into herself to find the strength to survive. As the heir to the most wicked and power hungry queen alive, Cat knows she is in her mother's sights. The only thing left for Cat to do is to prepare to fight.

Griffin is willing to stand by Cat’s side, but what will be the cost of Cat trying to take her place?

Unexpected allies, strength from friends and a love that won'
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This is just my kind of book! This one really has it everything from excellent characters to an exciting plot that rarely slows down. I am loving this new fantasy romance series and already know that this is a book that I will most likely read again. This book picks up right where the first book, A Promise of Fire, leaves off so you really do want to read this series in order. From the moment I finished the first book, I couldn't wait to star
Roobie

A heart of iron means I do not break. You cannot break me. I may not be the strongest, or the fastest, or the best, but I will fight. I will fight for everyone I love. I will fight for myself.
Norah
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
The success of the first book in this series, for me, was the romantic tension. Amanda Bouchet wrote a brilliantly gripping romance that, combined with an interesting world and some fun fantasy elements, made for the sort of page-turner I can't get enough of. The sort that is so hard to come by.

If Bouchet had managed to do the same with the second book, she would have joined the ranks of Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs and Karen Marie Moning. Her writing is still snappy, but unfortunately the rom
Angela
I was enthralled for the entirety of the last book; I dove into this one as soon as I could download it from NetGalley to my Kindle.

Unfortunately, within the first few pages it bit me hard. Cat's been keeping HUGE secrets for her whole life, it's not something that's changed despite her love for Griffin. I knew that he had to find out - it's one of the things that I was hoping for instead of more sex at the end of the last book - but the way that it all went down didn't work so well for me. Grif
Yodamom
I am so confused, this had so little resemblance to the first book's characters. I'm going to rant. I am so disappointed I pushed this series onto all my friends.
What Didn't work for me- The first half of the book.
The first chapter set the story was a bitter pill for me. It was a horrible misrepresentation of these characters that I grew to love in book 1. It was hard to feel the love they had developed over a great time. How can I witness such nastiness/abuse and just accept it was okay ? What
Ann (annreads)
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
“I will never let you go, and I will never leave you. I would defy creatures, and Gods, and terrible, brutal queens to keep you safe and by my side. I would move Mount Olympus itself to hold you in my arms and feel your heartbeat against mine. You are my soul, and yes, I will fight for you and protect you until my dying breath.”

OMG this series guys!! Everything about this world and this characters it's just bloody incredible and I'm freaking obsessed with it!!❤
I know I said it before but the Gre
Kay*FindMeInThePages*
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is the second book in Amanda Bouchet's Kingmaker Chronicles. This book is not a stand alone book and begins exactly where book one ended. So if you haven't read book one, A Promise of Fire, you should read it first. (It's great, you won't regret it.)

This series continues to amaze me. I usually don't like books written in the first person, but it hasn't bothered me in these books. I tend to quickly lose interest in books with heavy doses of mythology, but I never once even considered putting
Bj
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 "The Queen & Origin" Stars!

I thought book 1, A Promise of Fire, blew me away--well let me tell you, Amanda Bouchet was just warming up! Breath of Fire, book 2 in the Kingmaker Chronicles, a fantasy and mythology based romance, is top-notch in both the action world building and in the romance! By far this is one of the best debut Fantasy/PNR series I have ever read! Intriguing, witty and addicting, this series has me wishing that Book 3, Heart on Fire, the final book in the trilogy, were av
Alexandra G.
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 (million) stars

This. Book. Was. Amazing.

I'm not kidding, I loved every single word in this book. The plot, the action, the romance, the unexpected twists, the characters. Gods, the characters!

The action is more complex in this book, a lot of things are happening and even though it jumps from one thing to another it works perfectly.
Cat and her friends go through some brutal trials that will test them in every way. One of the things that I was very grateful for was the fact that the auth
Amanda Bouchet grew up in New England where she spent much of her time tromping around in the woods and making up grand adventures in her head. It was inevitable that one day she would start writing them down. Drawing on her Greek heritage for the setting and on her love of all things daring and romantic for the rest, her debut trilogy, The Kingmaker Chronicles, took form. She writes what she love ...more
More about Amanda Bouchet

Kingmaker Chronicles (3 books)
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • Heart on Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I will never let you go, and I will never leave you. I would defy creatures, and Gods, and terrible, brutal queens to keep you safe and by my side. I would move Mount Olympus itself to hold you in my arms and feel your heart beat against mine. You are my soul, and yes, I will fight for you and protect you until my dying breath.” 16 likes
“You’re the shield, and I’m the sword.” 9 likes