Start by marking “India's Broken Tryst” as Want to Read:
India's Broken Tryst

India's Broken Tryst

Published April 12th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about India's Broken Tryst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about India's Broken Tryst

Umesh Kesavan
Jun 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
A book driven by visceral hatred of a single person- Sonia Gandhi. There is a chapter on the author's puppy and I was worried that the death of the puppy would somehow be attributed to the disastrous "welfarist" politics of Sonia Gandhi.
Sridhar Tiruchendurai
A well written account of Delhi politics from an almost-insider. Makes it easy for an outsider to understand on how the Lutyen's community worked, controlled and almost destoyed this country.
Preyal
I picked up this book solely on the basis of the columns written by the journalist turned author Tavleen Singh. I don’t follow politics like a fanatic just as a normal citizen of India does. However, I do read articles to get an insight on the history of major political events and that’s how I stumbled upon her article! She writes well (of course being a journalist writing articles and all that), although this particular book reminded me more of ‘gossip girl’ - Tavleen as the gossip girl columni ...more
Divita Mathur
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Very informative but her egotism is unbearable.
Aarti Iyer
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the best political accounts that I have read in recent times. The chronological view of the general elections, how the mindset of people change as 2014 loksabha elections approached is so crisp. Also the way Indias electorate changed after independence, detailing into the progress and the current state of the various states is very interesting and seems real
Written in a very story like manner and relating to everything as she went through makes the book a very good read
Tushar
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think it was a good book, but Durbar was far better.
Aparna
Jun 22, 2016 added it
An interesting account of how dynastic politics has come a long way..
Hrishikesh
Mira
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yash Sharma
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tavleen singh at her best
--------------------------------------

1) The first thing which i noticed in this book is the bitterness of tavleen towards Sonia Gandhi (The de-facto Prime minister of India from 2004-14),which i feel is not personal as such but more of ideological ,which she portrayed very well in the various chapters of the book.

2) The book contains various chapters on different topics like - her opinion on Sonia Gandhi , her relationship with Ajit Gulabchand, love and affection for Ju
Sameer
Aug 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
The book came as a gift, I think I lost Tavleen Singh right after Durbar. India's Broken Tryst is a sad tale of hypocrisy and vendetta literature attack. I am amazed how Singh tries to glorify herself by buying some books from the roadside kid and dropping them to a destination or how she treats her maid.. but then knowing her political affiliations what one expects from Singh is not anywhere seen in the book.

One of the sad part of this book is that the author switches from a Kitchen conversatio
Ute Peterskovsky
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second book I have read from this author and just as the first one “Durbar” I found it an interesting read. Tavleen Singh describes India’s problems and how she things they came into being. Some chapters of the book describe her personal involvement with the poor and how she tries to help them. Most chapter focus on what is wrong with India today. For her the big culprit is the Nehru-Gandhi family and their policy of dynasty. While she is certainly not wrong, her obsession with Sonia Gandhi ...more
Maharsh
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like a 3.5 rating for this one. This is the second book of Tavleen Singh I have read this year (after Durbar) and I have to admit I am becoming a fan. Her experiences, observations and genuinely neutral stance on Indian politics is a rarity and I wish more journalists would take the cue. There is no right, no wrong, no personal bias and the commentary is simply what she has seen and observed. Her views also resonate with the common man of this country and are not merely elite conversations ...more
Puja
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
After her "Durbar", this book was sort of a continuation where she talks about the Manmohan Singh regimen, the flaws of the Congress rule, her own experiences of carrying out different stories that changed the shape of the country, once and for all, The Shah Bano case, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this extremely well written book. Who better to narrate political events than a journalist who has been there and done that?
Prabhat
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as Durbar, still a good read. Tavleen Singh's crusade against phony socialism continues.
Rajmr64 Rajeev
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The title of this book alludes to the famous speech made by Jawaharlal Nehru in the Central Hall of Parliament, the day India gained independence from the British. In that famous address, Nehru talked about India's "tryst with destiny". Tavleen Singh, in her inimitable style has thrown light on the failure of the Indian state, even after 7o years of independence, to provide a reasonable standard of living to its teeming millions, which in a way can only be percieived as a failure of the country ...more
Suyash Somvanshi
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
An account of author's personal life along with important political events that she as a leading journalist was fortunate enough to witness. She has also described her meetings with poorest of poor people who despite all the policies and schemes of the government fail to rise from their state of despair. So how a family managed to win the votes from diverse class of people for so long is a question she raises and tries to answer here.
The journey of independent and democratic India that started
Hemant Gaur
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Good, it may help if you have read her earlier book "Durbar" before as this is a kind of sequel. It also has some interludes of the life of the disadvantaged people of Mumbai juxtaposed with the lives of the elite.

Excellent narrative by Tavleen Singh as always,.gripping and unputdownable ,something an average Indian should read to know the real face of murky characters in our politics, the sold out media, why any outsider and seasoned politician like Modi is unacceptable to the media at large.

Ex
Abhijit
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“It is in the eyes of street children that you see the true brutality of the Indian state. The blank adult gaze that meets your eye is hard to look at if you are Indian and have even a modicum of compassion. But it is important to look. The next time your car stops at a traffic light and a child’s small, dirty hand appears outside your window in a gesture of supplication, look into the child’s eyes instead of turning away. If you look you will see fear, hunger, sadness, confusion and cynicism. T ...more
Pankaj
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tavleen Singh is one of the honest and best Journalists and i read this book back to back after reading Durbar by the same Author. The thing which i like about the Author is that she shows the reality what it is and she has done the same in her books. I particularly respect the Author's efforts in helping the poor and needy and was touched by the state of reality that exists in out large metropolis. I am not very good in writing reviews, but i would like to mention that these two books are a mus ...more
Sukanta Hazra
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, culture
This is the first book I read by Tavleen Singh and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it insightful and well illustrated with anecdotes from the author's personal experiences. An insider description of the elitist politics of the Lutyens Delhi. I found the term democratic feudalism used by the author a very apt description of the current state of Indian politics.
Asha Gopalakrishnan
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book trips on two major reasons - one is that the author's clear dislike of Sonia Gandhi. The latter was instrumental in bringing Ajit Gulabchand's (Tavleen's Singh's partner) pet project Lavasa to it's knees and hence the book does not give the comfort of an unbiased account. It's evident in every chapter. Second is that the whole book is a very gossipy Delhi coterie view (the drawing rooms of Lutyen's Delhi, as the author herself mentions multiple times). What could have been an incisive a ...more
Saurabh Srivastava
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
She has very well articulated the "Democratic feudalism" introduced by the "Royal family" and has depicted how convenient is the Indian mass in accepting the "well dressed" and "prefectly groomed" leaders of the this family, while it hurts them when someone from another party suits up and takes the charge. She also goes on to reflecton the failures of the man-in-charge, specifically on the oft-neglected issue of healthcare.
Indeed, a very well crafted follow up of her previous account "Durbar",
Hamsini
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.8-ish. So I quite like Tavleen's writing. I really liked her previous book. Some of her columns might seem repetitive, and many people find her biased but I think she has a certain 'fire-in-the-belly' thats becoming increasingly rare in journalism these days. This book enumerates India's various state failures over the years, I like how it moves back and forth between a macro and micro picture. One of the things I've noticed about her writing is how it hooks you on even if you don't agree with ...more
Vedvrat Shikarpur
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Mayank
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not better than Durbar but still, totally worth it

What I absolutely love about the author's way of writing is the ability to see through real life situations (however subtle or harsh they may be) and to be able to recreate them for the readers keeping in mind every inch of detail (even the color and the smell of surroundings).

And it is when the reader immerses himself / herself in those situations is when the theme of the book unfolds. Definitely shakes you from within....
Jangi  Claire
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written book about the Indian political scene by an honest journalist. Most others are wary of pointing fingers at the Gandhi family for any wrong doing or corruption. In fact Gandhis' enjoy immunity from accusation by the media, over which a vice like grip is exerted by their minions, by extending favours of various kinds. Very enjoyable & revelational read !!
Guruprasad
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as Good as Durbar , Book Contains the Anger Tavleen had towards Sonia for closing Lavasa for political vendetta . a good heart person towards street people and slum dwellers . a keen observer of politics and drawing room discussions , one of few people who believed in the Modi Wave before May 2014 in the nation . at some points you will feel self loathing of the author.
Praveen
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
The book is more of a collection of short stories of the author's everyday experience. Some say it's an extension of Durbar, but it is not. Though it has the same kind of narrative as Durbar.

I got this book based on its title, and thinking it would turn out to be an interesting read, but it ended up being anti-dynasty and how 60 years of Nehruvian socialism has damaged India.
  • The Sanjay Story
  • Eminent Historians: Their Technology, Their Line, Their Fraud
  • Simply Fly
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • India: The Siege Within: Challenges to a Nation's Unity
Tavleen Singh is the author of three books, Kashmir: A Tragedy of Errors, Lollipop Street: Why India Will Survive Her Politicians and Political and Incorrect. She spends her time between Delhi and Mumbai and writes four weekly political columns, in Hindi for Amar Ujala and Jansatta, and in English for syndication and an exclusive column for the Indian Express.