Start by marking “Echo Hall” as Want to Read:
Echo Hall

Echo Hall

Three generations of women experience love, loss and conflict during times of war.

Set against the backdrop of three wars – the 1991 Gulf War, World War 2 and World War 1 – the novel follows the fortunes of three women who become involved with the Flint family, the owners of Echo Hall.

Phoebe Flint visits Echo Hall in 2014, where she follows in her mother’s footsteps to unco
Published November 30th 2017 by Unbound

To ask other readers questions about Echo Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echo Hall

Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars. This was a mysterious, eerie and atmospheric story following three generations of women whose pasts intertwine through their connection to Echo Hall.

There are many secrets hidden within the rooms of Echo Hall. Newlywed and pregnant Ruth Flint arrives there 1990 where she feels drawn to search for stories of the property’s history. She uncovers pieces of the past through hidden diaries and journals along with conversations with several people who previously lived or worked at Echo Hall.

W
Charmaine Saliba
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a beautiful and heartbroken story. I have to thank the author Virginia Moffatt and The Pigeonhole for the opportunity to read this beautiful novel. It is a historical fiction with a paranormal aspect. I have to confess that this is the first time that I’ve read anything with a hint of paranormal and I am surprise that I really enjoyed it. I believe that I found another genre to add in my read luxury. The story takes us during the First World War, the Second World War and the Gulf War. ...more
Claire
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book contained love and heartache, following three intertwined storylines of three generations it was really well done. The events that reoccured over the generations, the choices made and not made and the mystery of what really happened kept me reading with continued interest. Thank you Virginia and Pigeonhole for providing this copy.
Caroline Vincent
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating family saga spanning almost a century about the lives, loves and tragedies of three strong women, Rachel, Elsie and Ruth, set against the history of WWI, the suffragette movement, WWII and the Gulf War. All somehow connected to Echo Hall. All influenced by its ominous atmosphere…

| Introduction |
It is the year 2014 and Phoebe is curious as to the place where she was born: the stately mansion called ‘Echo Hall,’ home of the Flint family. The house that has been “on the edge of her m
Gail Wylde
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pigeonhole
Wow! I really loved this book. The story was set over three wars and just be ready with some tissues. I certainly had a lump in my throat on more than one occasion. I read this book with pigeonhole, which released a twelfth of the book a day - I will admit I saved mine up so I could read 2 or 3 staves a day which is cheating (I'm sorry!!). I highly recommend this book and will be telling everyone I know to read it before it comes on the TV as a mini series!! Thank you so much to Virginia for wri ...more
Stephanie
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was contacted by the author asking me if I would like to read her book I was delighted. It was the just the type of book that I enjoy reading as a break from crime fiction. I’ve always liked the type of novel that covers generations of the same family where all their secrets are revealed. Some of the people in it are in more than one period and you see the way that life has turned out for them.
The author demonstrates very well how war has a devastating effect on an area, which is more obv
Di Paterson
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Virginia Hall has created a wonderful Gothic atmosphere, in which three generations of women living in Echo Hall experience love and loss. I read Echo Hall through The Pigeonhole, which releases the book in daily portions, over a period of time. It's a great way to read, but sometimes (as in this case), not so much, because Echo Hall is one of those books you just don't want to put down!

I like the way Virginia uses both narrative and letters to bring the experiences of the three women to life. T
Maggie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Echo Hall is not happy place, especially not for women! Ruth''s visit is in the early 1990s when she is still getting to grips with being a mother and getting to know her husband's family,she discovers that maybe she doesn't know her husband all that well either. She is perplexed as to why part of the house is out of bounds for her, although judging from the noises coming from there it isn't out of bounds for everyone! When her husband, a reservist is called up for the Gulf War she is not overjo ...more
Patrick Kincaid
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
At the heart of many a Gothic tale is the notion of an inescapable past, of skeletons in cupboards and revenant ghosts, and of punishments meted out for the sins of fathers and mothers on their children and on their children’s children.

In Echo Hall, Virginia Moffatt tells such a Gothic tale with a modern twist. Her saga of a troubled family explores cycles of violence that can tear lovers apart, but also whole communities, and whole continents. This is a story of war in the 20th century, and it
Meena Arivananthan
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such an exhilarating read, spanning three different timelines, thoroughly enjoyed the whole reading experience. This was courtesy of the Pigeonhole. The book is well written and manages to makes feel for all the characters. Loved her description of the Echo Hall. Many times I found I could relate to the sometimes difficult relationships some of us have with parents. Found myself tearing up at the end. Didn’t want it to end but wanted to know how the story would finish.
Lise Larsen
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed echo hall, it is a amazing debut novel.
It takes you through time, we follow 3 generation of women, how their lived and loved.
This is a well written book, and if you think this is just another love story, think again, this book is so much more.
Thank you Virginia and pigeonhole for letting me read this wonderful book.
(Sorry for my english, it is not my language)
Caroline
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The writing is good and easy to read. It is a tale set over 3 wars that makes for some interesting characters. I ran though all the emotions while reading and will look out for more from this author! Highly recommend this one
Patricia Knight
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the intertwined story of three generations all sharing the same home. The characters each brought to life this wonderful story. I loved falling into the world of Echo Hall and it’s inhabitants. Thank you Virginia for creating a wonderful story
Joanne
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A highly enjoyable read taking you through the lives and generations of three strong women who have lived within Echo Hall. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Kim Russell
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although Echo Hall can be rather repetitive, it is a good novel and I’m glad I read it stave by stave with The Pigeonhole.
Anne
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The structure of this novel, with its three entwined stories, is a very ambitious one for a first-time novelist – but I have to say that I thought it worked exceptionally well. The stories are anchored both by the convoluted history of the Flint family and the vividly captured backdrop of Echo Hall and its surrounding countryside, and the whole was an absolutely fascinating read.

I will admit that I wasn’t completely drawn in by the early nineties story of Ruth (and Adam) at first – I did struggl
Alexandra Turney
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk
Three wars, three generations. This well-written and entertaining family saga jumps back and forth between the generations, allowing the protagonist, Ruth, to discover the secrets of the family she has just married into.

The jumps in chronology are not as confusing as you might expect, and I found the structure really effective for examining the connections between characters, and the parallels (particularly the wars). The big cast of characters, on the other hand, did get a little confusing at t
Debbie Littley
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Echo Hall is a story that spans across generations and is centred around the lives of three women, Ruth, Elsie and rachel and their connection to Echo Hall.

With the back drop of three wars, WW1, WW2 and the Gulf war this is at times a real tearjerker of a story that has a bit of everything, love, tragedy, friendship, betrayal and even a touch of the paranormal.

Echo Hall has secrets, there maybe as many secrets as there are bedrooms it seems and when Ruth discovers some old diaries and journals i
Louise
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sally Coles
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Ruth Flint arrives at Echo Hall, her husband's family home she knows there are some dark secrets there, and with her husband off to fight in the gulf war she wants to find the secrets of the house. Spanning three wars we fnd out about the similarities of the situations of the women with their husbands off to fight in ww1 and ww2 but can peace really be brought to the house?

A good atmospheric read, but I am always a sucker for the old house and family sagas, this one is definitely worth read
Wendy Tuohy
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book ECHO HALL by Virginnia Moffatt especially via Pigeonhole. Well researched by the author of the three wars,the role of the women, Quakers-I could go on! The story intertwines with the three generations and there are so many links between the three I want to read it again! The characters hook you in to the story and it is beautifully and very graphically written. I can really see it as a film/tv drama! If you like historical, thriller, romance, drama or any one of these c ...more
Voirrey
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Echo Hall was well named; the house echoes with the stories of the women who lived there during the twentieth century - few of them happily, all of them leading lives in part shaped by war.

This book skilfully weaves their stories together as one of them tries to discover more about her predecessors and uncovers a less than happy history of the Flint family. There are no fairy-tale 'happy-ever-afters' but a satisfying conclusion.
Fred Grigor
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read courtesy of Pigeonhole. The storyline spans the lives of three generations of family who have lived in Echo Hall. Their trials begin with a loveless marriage, a son marrying his true love Else, then going to war. After believing her husband to be killed in the war, Else turned to his cousin, a conscientious objector, and in a moment of passion fell pregnant. The ensuing drama unfolds but without any spoilers I will just say a riveting read.
Finn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic family saga - reflecting on the effect of the ties to a family home and business over 2 world wars...

I really enjoyed this reading this, recommended based on the books that I had previously read and rated highly. I felt like I powered through it - switching between the present day, WW1 and WW2 and telling the story of the similar struggles faced by 3 generations of the Flint family.

Definitely recommended for fans of Kate Morton.
Hannah
Read on Pigeonhole. An enjoyable historical novel weaving different generations of a family connected by a house. This was well written and I liked the way that the author weaved the different storylines togetger, but I wasn't completely convinced by the paranormal elements which seemed to be tacked on at various moments as I thought they were a bit superfluous.
Kate
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, fiction
A well written and intriguing book. The story of several generations, rather uniquely written which worked really well. I did find Adam and Ruth’s characters wanting after reading about the other people but overall I loved the story.
Amanda Williams
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the concept behind this book and it does make for good reading. However, there are a few too many inconsistencies that I can't ignore.
barry wood
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant plot, really gripping story
MRS A HARDY
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book

I started reading this book with high hopes of mystery and family secrets .it turned out to be unbelievably boring that I have totally given up
Elizabeth
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read and a great page turner.

A story about three generations of the same family, this novel weaves together intrigue, mystery and romance against a slight atmosphere of fear.

The prose flows well and characters are varied and believable, although the different generations can make it a little tricky to keep up with who is related to whom and how.

Easy to read and quite a page turner, this is an ideal light read for winter evenings.
Not the Booker List 1 2 Aug 01, 2018 02:13AM
Letting 'Echo Hall' characters loose on twitter 1 5 Apr 12, 2016 12:57AM
I've always been a writer, but have only taken it seriously in the last decade. Since then, I've participated in writing courses, had short stories published and written a play.

My first novel 'Echo Hall' has been signed by the crowdfunding publisher Unbound. The novel tells the story of three generations of women who experience love, loss and conflict during times of war. If you are intrigued and