Start by marking “Almost There” as Want to Read:
Almost There

Read Book

Almost There

Paris, the City of Lights. To seventeen-year-old Dani Deane, it's the Promised Land. There, her widowed mother’s depression will vanish and she will no longer fear losing her only parent, her arty New York life, or her devoted boyfriend.

But shortly before their Paris getaway, Dani’s tyrannical grandfather falls ill, pulling them to rural Pennsylvania to deal with his hoard
Published May 17th 2016 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Almost There, please sign up.

Laurel Garver While the book does tackle some very difficult family dynamics, it does not have any swearing, violence or sex scenes. Appropriate for ages 13 and up.…moreWhile the book does tackle some very difficult family dynamics, it does not have any swearing, violence or sex scenes. Appropriate for ages 13 and up. (Sorry I didn't see this sooner!)(less)

Robyn
Jul 31, 2016 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Almost There by Laurel Garver is a story of grief, yet it's filled with inspiration and encouragement in a world where both are desperately needed. It's a book that you will not put down until you come to the last page. And then you're upset because it's over. Ms. Garver has her eye on the problems that affect teen girls, and that is half the battle when writing a story anyway. You have to write authentic characters.

From the opening pages, I felt like I was a part of the story. The setting is w
Kellyn Roth
Almost There is a descent contemporary Christian fiction novel about a teenage girl who wants nothing more than to get her mother away from the hustle and bustle and pain and terror of their life and take a trip to Paris which, she is sure, will heal all her mother’s old wounds.

I’ll start with the plot. It was original and well-paced; it kept together and ended perfectly. I found the subplot with Laughlin to be a little distracting … and it made Dani sound a little … I don’t know, shallow. Perha
Audrey Rich
May 30, 2016 Audrey Rich rated it really liked it
This book had enough romance, teenage angst, and secrets to keep me interested. The unexpected twists were believable and sometimes depicted how people think of themselves without caring how their actions affect others.

It was fun to see the drama that both the teenagers and the adults had to deal with and how they came up with some of the solutions. The teenage characters were as flawed as the adults, which made them real.

I'll be interested in reading other books from this author.

The author prov
Rachel John
Sep 23, 2016 Rachel John rated it really liked it
I'm so used to reading books driven by a romantic plot, or fantasy adventure, that it took me a little while to get used to this one. I would categorize it as YA Christian Family Drama. Dani has a flawed family she's trying to keep together, and big dreams. Her boyfriend Theo has his own issues, but he's seems to own them and share them in a way that Dani can't yet.

I loved the fact that when Dani makes a mistake, it comes back to bite her, and she must unravel it on her own, rather than somehow
Kathryn
Jun 09, 2016 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
SYNOPSIS: This is a really well written Christan YA Novel by Laurel Graver. The story itself circles around the main character Dani, a 17 year old girl who is living a normal teenage life, dreaming about going to Paris and trying to maintain a pure relationship with her boyfriend.
Drama ensues when her grandfather becomes ill and Dani has to navigate going to stay at his house in Pennsylvania. During her time there she learns a great deal about love, truth and what it really means to be alive.

Tessa Hall
Jul 27, 2016 Tessa Hall rated it it was amazing
Almost There made me fall in love with the YA genre all over again. This is the kind of teen fiction I enjoy: An authentic and inspirational novel that accurately portrays the teen life. Throw in a romance thread, family drama, teen angst, beautiful wordsmithing, an artistic element, and weave them together to create an original, page-turning-worthy plot.

Honestly, this is the best YA novel I've read in a while. The plot was well-paced, and the story was a quick-read, but mainly because it was di
Lynn
Jun 29, 2016 Lynn rated it liked it
Almost There continues the story of Dani Deane, a New York city teenager with aspirations to be an artist including spending her summer vacation in artisan Paris with her widowed mother. The plans are derailed though, when Dani's eccentric grandfather falls ill and she follows her mother to Pennsylvania not knowing if the immediate needs he requires will be completed prior to their scheduled flights to Paris. Can she rely on God to figure out things, or does she need to take matters in her own h ...more
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Jul 30, 2016 Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz rated it really liked it
This book was so refreshing to read! I have read so many really intense books, fantasy and scifi, super action packed and dramatic books... this was just what I needed.

Not that Almost There didn't have its serious, dramatic moments. It did. But, I guess there was just something about the writing that made it so refreshing to me. I think I just really needed to read something different from what I have been reading lately. I've been in a bit of a slump and this book was just what I needed.

I didn'
Jaime Lynn
Jun 26, 2016 Jaime Lynn rated it it was amazing
Almost There is even more absorbing than Never Gone, and I couldn't put it down. Dani's evolving relationship with her sometimes prickly Mum gains even more nuances as Dani begins to see Grace (Mum) as a person with a history, especially because that history is more troubled than Dani ever realized. Dani's bond with Theo endures some strain, and their struggles to work through the baggage that each of them brings to the relationship are both moving and realistic. Never Gone focused on the immedi ...more
Tyrean
Jul 14, 2016 Tyrean rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, Almost There by Laurel Garver continues to explore the tough realities of grief and healing of Danie and her mother that was started in Never Gone. Dani's dreams of healing her mother through art have hit a stand-still, and the trip to Paris can't seem to come fast enough. And then, Dani's cranky grandfather needs help and the Paris trip is put on hold. Dani struggles for direction and discernment, floundering to find a way to heal herself and her mother. She's such a realis ...more
Ana Shoemaker
Jun 12, 2016 Ana Shoemaker rated it really liked it
This is one of those books where you fall in love with the characters and find yourself relating to more than one of them in various ways. The problems the characters faced were realistic and reminded me of my own teenage angst moments growing up. I especially love how Dani is so concerned for her mom and wanting to take care of her. I can remember feeling similarly about my mom and I'm sure my kids will one day feel this way about me. The readiness that supporting characters showed in going to ...more
Mary
Aug 24, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Pleased this was recommended by a friend; decided to read the first in this series and found both wonderful.
Kasey Giard
Kasey Giard rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Micielle
Micielle marked it as to-read
Cynthia Cisneros
Cynthia Cisneros marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Julia Conway
Julia Conway marked it as to-read
Lorna Leicester
Lorna Leicester marked it as to-read
Andrea Trenary
Andrea Trenary marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Ms. Reader
Ms. Reader marked it as to-read
Bacsa
Bacsa marked it as to-read
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
SALLY WHITE
SALLY WHITE marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Cheryl Bradley
Cheryl Bradley marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Nicola Fantom
Nicola Fantom marked it as to-read
Terry Pearson
Terry Pearson marked it as to-read
Carol McFarlane
Carol McFarlane marked it as to-read
Heather Williams
Heather Williams marked it as to-read
Emiley Allen Bowes
Emiley Allen Bowes marked it as to-read
Sandra Beck
Sandra Beck marked it as to-read
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dawn Obrien
Dawn Obrien marked it as to-read
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Coleen
Coleen marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
  • The 50 States Activity Book: With more than 20 activities, a fold-out map poster, and 50 stickers!
  • And Then There's You
  • Amour Provence
  • The Broken Haven
  • We Are Unprepared
  • How to Be a Blogger and Vlogger in 10 Easy Lessons: Learn how to create your own blog, vlog, or podcast and get it out in the blogosphere!
  • Look Past
  • Finding Home
  • Miles of Files
  • Four Furlongs
  • Millie Marries a Marshal (Brides with Grit, #2)
  • Beachhead
  • Could a Monkey Waterski? and other questions...: Hilarious scenes bring monkey facts to life!
  • It Started With A Whisper
  • The Weight of Guilt
  • Ghosh in China
  • Behind Every Door
  • How do you say gooseberry in French?
Laurel Garver holds degrees in English and journalism and earns a living as a magazine editor. She enjoys quirky independent films, word games, British television, and Celtic music. She lives in Philadelphia with her husband and daughter.

Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLaurel...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LaurelGarver
More about Laurel Garver...