Start by marking “Wat me nu toch gebeurde op weg naar school...” as Want to Read:
Wat me nu toch gebeurde op weg naar school...

Wat me nu toch gebeurde op weg naar school...

First, some giant ants steal breakfast.

Then there are the evil ninjas, massive ape, mysterious mole people, giant blob, and countless other daunting (and astonishing) detours along the way to school. Are these excuses really why this student is late? Or is there another explanation that is even more outrageous than the rest? From Davide Cali and Benjamin Chaud, the
Published 2016 by De Fontein (first published January 1st 2015)

Start your review of Wat me nu toch gebeurde op weg naar school...
Donalyn
Deceptively simple. This sophisticated story reminds me of children's books of the 1960's & 70's-- witty, a little dark humor, starring kids a LOT smarter than adults.

3 stars from Emma. She wished the book was larger, so she could see the illustrations.
Cheri
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This was a very strange book...the only thing I can think of is that the author and illustrator got drunk one night and started telling stories as if they were 9 year old kids living in a surreal French film. To be fair, the author and illustrator are actually French...
I'm going to try it out on my kid book club to see if they find it entertaining or inspiring, because if anyone will, it's a group of 7 to 10 year olds who like books.
Sue Morris
In the same style as I Didn’t Do My Homework Because . . . (HERE), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to School . . . contains hilarious excuses why this young boy is late for school. Will the teacher believe these excuses any more than she believed why he did not do his homework? Will you believe?

Would you believe the boy missed breakfast because giant ants stole it from him? Would you believe a huge—and I mean HUGE—ape mistook the school bus for a banana? Would you believe the boy meet a girl
Candace
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A boy explains to his teacher why he didn't make it to school on time. Each excuse becomes more astonishing. Will the teacher believe the boys reasons for being late to school, or will she see them as outlandish excuses?

This delightful book will have children laughing-out-loud. Each hilarious excuse becomes harder and harder to believe. The illustrations are imaginative and creative. A fun book for middle grade readers.
Regsly
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amusing book.
Cat
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I loved, loved, loved the illustrations in this book but I couldn't get into the story.
Alex Onslow
Age: k-5

Cute little book about random things that happened to the main character on the way to school. Very random, but needs to be a lot bigger for the little kids, adorable illustrations. Somewhat reminds me of "there was an old lady" and how it builds and builds and builds.

Focus: poem style book, school
Misbah
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, adventure
A little boy tells his teacher why he's late for school and details a long fantastical adventure.

Love the imagination that went into this but I think kids might have a hard time distinguishing the line between being imaginative and telling a lie.
Although the dinosaur at the end does mean that the boy was telling the truth.
Trisha Parsons
I had a fun time with this book. I like the pattern of things getting more outrageous and absurd, and the "twist" at the end. My kids, however, were not quite as interested. The narrative has a lot of hints to classic fairy tales, and the book itself, at least the copy at my library, is really small, so it was more difficult for them to engage with the pictures.
Donna Mork
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kid tells the teacher an incredibly long detailed story that seems very far fetched, including helping out the president, flying a plane, and traveling through time. It seems hard to believe but in the end, I think most readers will believe his far fetched story.
Anna
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prek-books
This was so great. It's funny, very imaginative, and a fun read! I didn't expect to like it this much, but I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are great and I would recommend this book to everyone, kids and adults.
Sarah Oswalt
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
My favorite part of the book is all the different comments he says on Why he is late to school. I don’t know if there’s any real wood educational reason ideas this book but it’s a little funny story.
Gretchen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom-use
This book, written by the same author as I Didn't Do My Homework Because, is another book offering excuses. This book is written about why a student is late for school. In the same manner as the other book, they are all fanciful excuses that are fun to think about and laugh at.
Livia Vozaryova
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my 4th book in Portuguese. :)
Pam
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
The boy has an incredible imagination and quite the story for why he's late to school.
Shiloah
We had a lot of laughs with this read aloud.
حسناء
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
that's the kind of imagination i love
Back
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Very cute. A fun way to start out the school year with this silly account of the boys travel to school. A possible side effect may be excuses from the kiddos...don't know yet...
Kelly
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite the adventure!
Ashlin Edmisten
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, zz2017
The illustrations in these books are so amazing. The stories are so imaginative. I enjoy the heck out of each one.
Anna And
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nana read this book to me. This was an interesting book. Some of the things that he said happened to him were very strange and funny.
Sylvester
3* art
2* story

A good idea that somehow missed the mark.
Marie
Not my favorite, but didn't mind reading once.
Kelly
A boy tells a fantastic story about why he is late to school.
Sara Cook
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious excuses with fun illustrations detail all the outlandish reasons this boy is late to school.
Vani
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and funny with gorgeous illustrations.
Matthew
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting word choice. Very appealing in that it was funny, but could also be used in a classroom simply for its vocabulary. An all around success.
Lisa Marie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations make this one! So so good!
Casandria
A crazy, silly version of how a boy gets embroiled in a bunch of crazy adventures that keep him from getting to school on time.
Diana Toole
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-roland
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book, and its absolutely charming illustrations. Totally quirky, and silly, and sweet, and hilarious.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Little Pea
  • Spork
  • Chloe, Instead
  • Yeti, Turn Out the Light!
  • Goodnight Already!
  • When I Grow Up
  • Big Bear Hug
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach
Davide Cali (born 1972) is a Swiss-born Italian writer of picture books and graphic novels, primarily for children and young adults. He lives in Italy. His work has been published in twenty-five countries and translated into many languages.