Start by marking “Rowdy: The Roddy Piper Story” as Want to Read:
Rowdy: The Roddy Piper Story

Rowdy: The Roddy Piper Story

The biggest pro wrestling bio since Bret Hart's Hitman legendary Rowdy Roddy Piper's unfinished autobiography, re-conceived and completed by his children, actress/musician Ariel Teal Toombs and wrestler Colt Baird Toombs.

In early 2015, Roderick Toombs, aka Rowdy Roddy Piper, began researching his own autobiography with a trip through Western Canada. He was re-discovering h
Published October 4th 2016 by Random House Canada

To ask other readers questions about Rowdy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowdy

Start your review of Rowdy: The Roddy Piper Story
Dan Schwent
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-books
Rowdy is the story of wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper, as told by two of his children.

When I was a kid, taking the first steps into a wrestling fandom that would last decades, one of the first wrestlers I really hated was Roddy Piper. As I got older, I saw what a great entertainer he was. When I had a pile of Amazon points burning a hole in my pocket, I snapped this up.

The book starts with Roddy's birth and rough home life, leading to him being semi-homeless and a criminal during most of his teen yea
Brandon
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
On July 31st, 2015, Roddy Piper tragically passed away at the age of 61. Prior to his death, Roddy was writing a new book about his early years and subsequent career both in the ring and in Hollywood. As a tribute to their father, daughter, Ariel, and son Colton, picked up where he left off and finished his life’s story.

Although Piper had written a book years ago and had released several documentaries, I believe this is the first time he’s truthfully delved into his troubled childhood. Homeless
Daniel Stern
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Written with love and care with an insider's perspective rarely displayed in most bios, this book made me see "Rowdy" Roddy in a whole new way. His spirit and character shows through, not only in the revealing stories but the telling of it by his own children Ariel and Colt who have displayed great bravery in sharing a side of their father many never knew. As I read this book it struck me just how big a loss we've all suffered with his demise, as no doubt, there were more stories we'll never kno ...more
Patti
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper was my favorite, back in the day. He also starred in one of my favorite cult classics, "They Live." It was a shock, yet still somewhat expected, when we lost him last year.

He was working on a book before his death and his children decided to finish it. However, it seems that it was more written by the kids rather than Piper.

It was interesting, with a good look at his early career. Lots of names to keep straight, lots of stories that make you wonder were they real or were they
Michael
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best Wrestling biography I have ever read.Respect.
Lori Schiele
THIS IS A REVIEW FOR ROWDY: THE RODDY PIPER STORY (2015) as well as IN THE PIT WITH PIPER (2002).THERE ARE MANY SIMILARITIES, SOME REPETITIONS OF STORIES, BUT ALSO SOME QUESTIONABLE INFORMATION from the first book. That's up for you to decide...
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper--one of the biggest names in pro-wrestling--wasn't even named Roddy Piper--it was Roderick George Toombs. He also didn't "hail" from Scotland, but Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in Canada. But, while living in an Indian reservation called La
Pat
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Roddy was my favourite wrestler growing up. Sure, when I first got into wrestling in the mid-80's, Hulk Hogan was the best, but as I followed the story, Hot Rod stuck out to me. His gimmick was that he was Scottish, but some wrestling magazine broke kayfabe and said he was Canadian. Like me! From then on, he was the best. How many times I watched that tribute video from Saturday Night's Main Event, when it appeared that he would be forced to retire from a broken leg injury, with highlights of hi ...more
Samantha Brown
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done

Good read. Had just enough back story with actual facts and remembered history by family and friends without producing one sided story telling and bs that never happened as in other wrestlers books. Funny and heartfelt. Roddy would be proud of his kids for picking up the slack writing a very entertaining read. If the kids do decide to write another book I would read it. Also had a good mixture of wrestlers telling stories about the Hot Rod from 3 different decades.

Anthony Brennan
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story of a life fully lived. Really blown away, I had no idea about so many things about Piper’s life, and what a inspirational figure he really was, and I loved him. He really was the greatest. Really glad to say I was the Light of Day Parkinson’s fundraiser he was at in Niagara Falls that he performed at in the book. A total class act, and such an interesting, in depth read with a lot of laughs and not a few tears.
Ray Moore
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

A very well put together collection of stories about the life of one of my favorite people. Sometimes funny sometimes sad all good.
Sarah Walker
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Piper was an AWESOME heel in the wrestling world. I had read his biography book that he written. And I have learned much more from this one. Thank you to the Toombs kids for this great book
Kevin
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly in-depth and touching retrospective on the life of Hot Rod, as compiled by his kids after his death. One of the best wrestling bios I have ever read.
Michael Adam Holman
Miss Roddy

Amazing book about an amazing life! This book made me feel like I truly knew this legendary figure. I came in a big fan and came out a bigger fan.
Paul Taylor
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Couldn't put it down.
Ryan Kerr
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting insight into one of the characters of pro wrestling. Enlightening and poignant.
Chuck Slack
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I was a fan of Rowdy Roddy Piper in the 80s and was hoping for an honest, behind the scenes history of professional wrestling. This book is an okay effort but is not totally cohesive which makes it a somewhat disjointed, difficult read. An okay story of a wrestling legend's life but would have been better told with better writing.
Bookreader1972
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have read lots of pro wrestlers bio. This was one of the better ones.
Have always loved the Rowdy Scot.
Used to live in Portland, OR. where he wrestled for a time & eventually married & bought a home.
Met him twice. Always a nice man.
Gone too soon.

Ready a Library edition
I.D.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book with lots of good stories and insight into the man behind the camera. So much that was never seen and known only to close friends. Makes the loss seem even bigger.
Danielle Bradley
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It gives you a clear picture of his life, his battle with addictions and his love he had for his wife and children!!!
Cassidy
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was obvious this book was written with love & with carefully chosen interviews and stories. The writing is very solid and beautifully worded! It's unfortunate Roddy was unable to finish his own story, but the kids did a wonderful job. The beginning of the book presented stories about Roddy's younger life most readers would never be aware of previously. The ending was emotional, but strong with a sense that his legacy will carry on. One of the best written wrestling biographies I've encountere ...more
Christophe Murdock
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read if you were a fan of Roddy. Roddy started the project himself, but then after passing was finished by his children Ariel and Colt. Stories of Roddy's life from childhood up until his passing. Lots about wrestling and a little about films too.
Redfield Reads
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bret Harts is still the must read of all Wrestling bios, but Rowdy is a very good read with alot of stories from one of the biggest personalities in the industry.

One worth checking out if you have ever been a fan.
Christopher
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
**1/4: while I find it quite impressive that Roddy’s children would finish his memoir after his untimely passing (a strong loving family being a rare thing in wrestling) and that the contents would be as raw and honest as they are, I still came away disappointed. As detailed as certain sections are (his early life and post-retirement are fully detailed), the majority of his career feels glossed over and lacking in details.
Matt
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of great stories here, it's too bad Roddy passed away before he could write the book. His kids did a good job putting them all together but it would have been an amazing life story if it was written by Roddy himself.
Ed Logiudice
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
As far as wrestling biographies go, this one was very good. A few of the stories don't quite fit into the actual timeline of Roddy's life, but his children (and the authors) weren't alive at that time. Otherwise, a strong biography of one of the greats of wrestling...
Geoff
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
He was from Saskatchewan. He was bullied. He ran away. He wrestled. He was awesome. He died. Too young. I'm sad.
Brian
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
"You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!"
Scott Beveridge
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
It was okay. If Roddy himself wrote it. I am sure the depth of the stories would have made it better.
Mark Archibald
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the first 80 pages, the book seemed sloppily written. It really picks up after that. Roddy's kids make much of his Canadian roots. I was surprised by the amount of content that took place in the Maritimes. Excellent behind-the-scenes info about a golden age of wrestling. Lots about the intensity of pro wrestlers who spend time in the lower leagues before hitting the big time. But the real draw is Roddy. Rough around the edges, but it sounds like you will find no one more trusted by his family ...more
Reed Benson
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wrestling fans
Roddy was one of my favorite wrestlers when I first started watching in 1998. This book is the perfect retrospective of his life and career...or as much of it would fit, at least. Very touching ending.

• Under the Black Hat: My Life in the WWE and Beyond
  • Mr. Noisy
  • Mr. Small
  • Mr. Daydream
  • Mr. Nosey
  • Mr. Clever (Mr. Men, #37)
  • Little Miss Fun