Start by marking “This Country of Mothers” as Want to Read:
This Country of Mothers

This Country of Mothers

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A mosaic of memories, the poems of This Country of Mothers recollect Julianna Baggott’s experiences as both mother and daughter. With wit, compassion, aggression, and anxiety, Baggott examines her maternal history. She recalls moments of creation and destruction in her life, times of elation and of desperation that mold her as both a woman and a poet. This affecting study ...more
Published April 10th 2001 by Southern Illinois University Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about This Country of Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Country of Mothers

Nina
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it

Baggott’s collection of narrative poetry explores family and motherhood from several perspectives. She has a tendency toward long lines, which frequently turn into long poems. The poems flow seamlessly, like clicking rosary beads. The book is divided into five sections, starting with Baggott’s own conception.
I am swelling

and waiting, a ticking egg, a twisting tail,
a fly smashing against bright glass.
(Conception)

There are poems of adolescence and early sexual experiences, moving through the birt
Christie
Jun 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I give this three stars because there were some poems that I loved and some that I stopped reading. No middle ground, so three is in the middle. I loved Baggott's description of miscarriage. She captured the heartbreak perfectly. My favorite poem in the collection was Blurbs. I recommend this collection for serious students of modern poetry.
Patricia Murphy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I like the poem about her own conception--the imagination of her parents and the visualization of the womb.

the daffodils give the first yellow twists within their thick green tongues.

a white pearl quivers on an udder

my grandfather put on his hat and died

Don't take survival tips from Jesus.
Lorene Haupt
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't do poetry, so 3 stars is a pretty good rank for me to give a poetry book.
Angie
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angie-s-shelf
First three sections were solid and wonderful, last two, not in comparison.
Tracy
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I loved this book of poems. The imagery was great. I liked Baggot's rhythm, her gestures, and her touch with recreating an emotion or sentiment. Her poems are bloody, but elegant.
Juliet
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
4 1/8 stars.

I'm not a mother nor even motherly, so maybe I didn't expect to enjoy this as much, but it's good stuff.
Tasha Cotter
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The mary todd lincoln poem is especially good.
Autumn
Mar 26, 2015
Marie
Sep 30, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Connect with Julianna Baggott on Facebook:

Check out the new novel -- PURE

Also writes under the pen names N.E. Bode and Bridget Asher.

Critically acclaimed, bestselling author Julianna Baggott is the author of eighteen books, most notably her recent novel PURE, the first in a dystopian trilogy, a New York Times Book Review's Editor's Cho
More about Julianna Baggott...