Start by marking “Bedlam's Door: True Tales of Madness and Hope” as Want to Read:
Bedlam's Door: True Tales of Madness and Hope

Bedlam's Door: True Tales of Madness and Hope

Why would a man born in Hungary and living on Manhattan's Lower East Side run down Delancey Street ranting "I'm king of the Puerto Ricans"?

How was it possible for a man wearing a straitjacket to commit suicide within a locked psychiatric ward while in the company o
Published September 1st 2016 by Thunder Lake Press

To ask other readers questions about Bedlam's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedlam's Door

HFK
3.5 stars.

Bedlam's Door is a diverting collection of accounts inside the world of mental illnesses, told trough dialogue oriented short true-stories from the author's own work history and experiences as an psychiatrist. In other words, a book that most certainly is right up my alley as I can hardly resist anything medical that is written by professionals themselves.

These intriguing true-stories will walk you through various different mental illnesses and conditions without sensationalizing some
Matt

The tales in this volume about people with mental illnesses read like fiction–just like the blurb says. Ever since the publication of his first novel, MAD DOG HOUSE, I’ve been virtually “stalking” this author and await each new book with great anticipation. After three crime thriller novels and a couple of novellas here comes his first non-fiction work.

Mark Rubinstein is a trained psychiatrist and in this capacity had worked in clinics as well as operated a private practice. He had appeared in c
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"Bedlam's Door" is a non-fiction book that focuses on stories from Mark Rubinstein's career as a psychiatrist. The brain is an amazing thing that does not always act like it should. Rubinstein explores some of the various mental illnesses he has treated through case studies. He has had a long career and the stories seem to span his entire career.

Mental illness is a serious issue that poses a threat to public health. Although the treatment of some mental illnesses have seemed to advance over the
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
Why would a man born in Hungary and living on Manhattan's Lower East Sid run down Delancey Street ranting, "I'm king of the Puerto Ricans"? What would compel a physically healthy woman to persuade surgeons to operate on her more than a dozen times? Though these and these and the other stories in this volume read like fiction, each is true. Former practicing psychiatrist Mark Rubinstein opens the door and takes the reader deep into the world of mental illness. From the chaos of a psychiatric emer ...more
Tim
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Although case studies are a well-recognized form of scholarship, in the nonfiction aisles of retail bookstores it can become a sobriquet for “war stories.” Their presence and popularity grew immensely with the popularity of books by neurologist Oliver Sacks. Many authors, though, have difficulty equalling his prowess.

Mark Rubinstein deftly avoids the many pitfalls of the genre in Beyond Bedlam's Door: True Tales from the Couch and Courtroom , his second book of vignettes from his four decades a
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found the stories in this book to be fascinating and at the same time very enlightening. I have read many books where the author has been an expert on the subject matter that they were writing about. This is where I can encounter a problem as the author can sometimes come off as showoffish by using big words and long winded explanations that are way over my head. This causes my reading experiences to be difficult. Yet, this was not the case with this book. Dr. Rubinstein had a nice way of expl ...more
Margo Kelly
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A terrific book for people studying psychology and for everyone interested in mental illness and the medical world.

Mark Rubinstein, MD, is a novelist, physician, and psychiatrist. His ability to tell a story with vivid details is what makes this book great. This book reads very much like a compilation of short stories, but the difference is that each of these stories actually happened.

As the description on the back of the book reads: "Bedlam's Door depicts the challenges mental illness poses for
Lynn
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book tells it like it is. I have worked for a mental health company for the past three and a half years working as a daily living assistant to client's with diagnosis including severe depression, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and Schizophrenia and taken classes in Mental Health which would allow me to function as a case manager within the system. This book gives incredible insight into theses illnesses and also gives some insight into how our American mental health system is dysfunctional ...more
Miriam Downey
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Dr. Mark Rubinstein is a physician and psychiatrist, but in his heart, he is a storyteller. He has published several novels and medical nonfiction works over the years in addition to practicing psychiatry. Bedlam's Door, his newest book, is a series of reminiscences about patients he encountered through his years as a psychiatric resident and then in his private practice.

Each chapter of Bedlam's Door is a case study, from a Hung
Stacie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I often find medical non-fiction interesting and really enjoy reading true stories of medical anomalies or stories where patients overcame medical struggles. In BEDLAM'S DOOR, stories of mental illness are told through the eyes of a psychiatrist. Rubinstein shares patients he met while working in a hospital, often meeting the patient as they arrive in the ER via their own admission, through the police, or admitted by concerned family members.

In these true stories, patients are dealing with a my
Karen
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was okay...it wasn't the greatest writing in the world, and though it is obvious that Rubenstein knows his psychology, and has intense passion for what he does, for me, something was missing. I've read many books by Oliver Sacks. His books are very special, as was his compassion. I met him at the University of Pittsburgh once. I was seated up front, and as a Deaf person, I used an interpreter. He came up after the talk...he had just finished his book on the Deaf community. There was so ...more
Karen
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bedlams Door Mark Rubinstein
Mark Rubinstein has been a psychologist for years. He is treating his readers to his vast experiences working in mental hospitals and crisis units in the emergency ward. There are sad stories to tell and ones filled with the hope of recovery. The most humorous story I read was THE HEAD DOCTOR about a patient who just wanted to be treated like a human not just patient x.
The stories are poignant like THE KING OF THE PUERTO RICANS. Dr. Rubinstein writes with pathos and
Arlene Gutierrez
Super interesting

This book was very thought-provoking and insightful. The stories told were both funny and tragic, shocking, yet true. I really loved how the author weaved many stories together into one book. The author did a fabulous job tying everything up neatly and succinctly.
Ann Lineberger
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Insightful look into the mysteries and curiosities of mental illness, a disease that continues to confound the afflicted, their families and friends and the medical profession. Mark Rubinstein is a psychiatrist and a kind and thoughtful man whose dedication to the practice of psychiatry and the patients he encountered shines through in his new book Bedlam's Door.
Quentin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb. Unlike any book I've ever read

As entertaining as it is informative. Easy to read, but still masterfully written. This is THE book to give to that friend or family member who doesn't quite get the concept of mental illness. It can even help those of us who suffer with this disease.
Linda Lord
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting read. Not a wow but worthwhile!
Kristin Walz
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written

Good case studies of individual cases. Very interesting! Wish it had been longer....maybe there will be a sequel coming out?
Jennifer (Wonderland Books)
3.5 Stars - Video review to come
April Marie Alexander-Peck
Psychology has always been fascinating to me and sadly I was unable to heed my calling and heart's desire to heal the world of emotional/mental anguish or even make a dent in it. LOL...That said...I really enjoyed this book (and the author has more books continuing in the same vein as this one) and found myself connecting and even identifying with the patients (Hello?! If that ain't a lil' scary!!!!!) and the psychiatrists in the vignettes. Mark Rubenstein managed to show the gamut of every emot ...more
Catherine Kasten
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A change

I really like this author and downloaded books that he wrote. In this one I soon realized this wasn’t fiction. I thought I wouldn’t read it. But then I thought I’d give the doctor a fair shake and read. At first I thought the stories weren’t rocket science, but that didn’t stop me from finishing the book. I now have a high respect for psychology.
jacqueline
Pdm
rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mark Rubinstein graduated from NYU with a degree in business. He then served in the army as a field medic tending to paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division. After discharge, he re-entered NYU as a premed student.

As a medical student at the State University of New York, he developed an interest in psychiatry, discovering in that specialty the same thing he realized in reading fiction: every pat
“You can’t just shove the past aside. It stays with you, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.” 0 likes