Start by marking “Gandhi On Non-Violence” as Want to Read:
Gandhi On Non-Violence

Gandhi On Non-Violence

In this book, Merton has selected the basic statements of principle and interpretation which make up Gandhi's philosophy of non-violence (AHIMSA) and non-violent action (SATYAGRAHA). The Gandhi text follows that established by the Navaijivan Trust with sections dealing with "Principles of non-violence", "Non-violence, true and false", "Spiritual dimensions of ...more
Published May 1st 1965 by New Directions Publishing Corporation

Start your review of Gandhi On Non-Violence
Louis
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, though a bit of an unusual structure. After the Preface and a 30 page introduction by Thomas Merton, the bulk of the book is quotes Gandhi's massive 2-volume "Non-violence in Peace and War."

"Gandhi on Non-Violence" does give a nice overview to Gandhi's thoughts, including much in his own words. Many of the quotes are quite powerful. The introduction by Merton, too, is quite good and worth reading.

In the end, this is well worth the couple of hours it took to read it.
Chaymâa
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gandhi, connu aussi sous le titre de Mahatma « grande âme » nous expose dans la voie de la non-violence certains évènements qui ont changé le cours de sa vie. La façon dont ce livre est écrit laisse penser qu’il s’agit d’une autobiographie, mais ce n’est en aucun cas l’intention de l’auteur. Gandhi veut juste partager avec nous ses pensées et la manière dont il a mené sa quête à la vérité qui était le but même de sa vie, comme il le dit dans cette citation : « Ma vie, mes actes et mon être ...more
Keith
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great summery of Gandhi's works "Non-Violence in Peace and War". It really catches the difference between non-violence as a state of one's heart and passive resistance which is done merely for political means by those too weak to overpower their enemy. The later will return to violence as soon as they have the means. Non-violence of the heart is successful even when it's outward objectives are not achieved.
Valerie Dykstra
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Things that struck me:

Gandhi vowed never to eat more than 5 articles of food in a 24 hour period. He kept the vow for life.

Gandhi said, "Noncooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good."

In prison for 2 years, "he read dozens of books, conducted a voluminous correspondence, and generally seemed to have remarshaled his strength."
Dani
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was very young, and it had a great impact on me. Ever since I have found myself inadvertently quoting Gandhi more than once through my life.

I high recommend it! It will open your mind, and if you are lucky it will help you to view people and the world in general from other perspective.
Miguel Soto
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Distinguir la no-violencia de sus malentendidos, llegar a comprender profunda y auténticamente que se trata de la actividad más digna del hombre, y el enorme trabajo que implica...

Tg
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thomas Merton's Introduction is deep and profound---The book itself is mainly quotes---The best Part is Thomas Merton's Intro:

"The Spirit of Non-Violence was realized from an inner realization of unity from within"
Karl J
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
lk 18 Igal nähtusel on kaks külge - väline ja sisemine. Välisel on tähendust ainult niivõrd, kuivõrd ta sisemist aitab.
lk 20 Tõeline kunst peab andma tunnistust autori õnnelikkusest, meelerahust ja puhtusest.
lk 22 Ma piinlen teadmises, et elualalhoiu kihk mu kehas tõukab mind pidevalt Himsasse(*vägivalda).
lk 31 Inimsoo põhivoorusi on võimelised endas välja arendama ka kõige madalamal arengutasemel olevad hõimud.
lk 32 Sõbad Ameeikast on kinnitanud, et kõige kiiemini viib Ahimsasse(*vägivallatus)
albin james
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best
Turning and turning
Within the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart
The center cannot hold
And a blood dimmed tide
Is loosed upon the world

Nothing is sacred
The ceremony sinks
Innocence is drowned
In anarchy
The best lack conviction
Given some time to think
And the worst are full of passion
Without mercy

Surely some revelation is at hand
Surely it's the second coming
And the wrath has finally taken form
For what is this rough beast
Its hour come at last
Slouching toward Bethlehem to
Sandra
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't rate this because it's a book of quotations; there are some great quotations in it, and it helps to get a fleshed-out sense of what non-violence meant to Gandhi -- and it didn't mean simply passive resistance, as we might think. It's rather complicated -- Gandhi says it's better to kill than to be non-violent out of fear (cowardice is definitely worse to him) -- and there are a number of surprises along with the many nuances I was unaware of.

I got this from the library because it was
Stephen
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Trappist monk Thomas Merton put together this book. I didn't care for his fragmentary editing, but literally half the book is Merton's great essay "Gandhi and the One-Eyed Giant," written at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky in 1960. It's one of his best essays, better by far than his pompous autobiography, which in my view is marred by "convertitis." This is Merton after 20 years in a monastery, marinaded in silence, song, and increasingly in Zen.

Gandhi, Meister Eckhart, and DT Suzuki
steve
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a quick read and a comprehensive collection of quotes. there's no shortage truly quotable material in here either. however, i wouldn't recommend this as anything more than that and think it's best read with a supplementary content. many of the quotes are well out of context and leave you scratching your head - as the power or utility of the quote must certainly be better against some complementary backdrop.

personally, this didn't reinforce any perspective of gandhi other than to maybe wonder if
Keija
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Actually, the book I read was a compilation of Gandhi's writings on non-violence edited by Thomas Mercer called GANDHI ON NON-VIOLENCE. Mercer's essay on Gandhi is fascinating, and the book offers a good introduction to the philosophy and practice of non-violence. Occasionally, the expressions are overly aphoristic, and they start to get a bit repetitive at the end, but overall, the work offers solid insight into Gandhi's movement. Also, I fear that not many people are willing to "greet death ...more
Seth
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most concise book ever written about the doctrine of Ahimsa, this text and associated thought most notably influenced Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights struggles of the 1950s and 60s. The preface also, by Thomas Merton, is brilliant, genuinely unique and a profound analysis of the violence and rot that had overtaken most "civilized" countries in the mid 20th century.

I believe that as we enter ever more technologically alienating and violent days, books such as this
Debbie
Read this book for my history of political thought class. It was a very short read; I managed to finished it in a little over an hour. However, I can't say that I was too impressed. The book was just selected quotes from Gandhi with nothing really stringing them together. It was more of a "Quotable Gandhi" than anything else. I was frustrated with the lack of content as the short selections Merton included in the book were repetitive and variations on a theme. However, it is a nice book to have ...more
Van
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is the Cliff's Notes to Gandhi on Non-Violence. It is editied by Thomas Merton who was a Trappist monk. What Thomas Merton writes in one sentence would take me 5 paragraphs to express- now couple that with Gandhi's journey and tokens of wisdom; you have the longest 88 page book written. The introduction alone was impressive.
Dan
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
"Belief in non-violence is based on the assumption that human nature in its essence is One and therefore unfailingly responds to the advances of Love."

Excellent book, it gives the reader hope again for love in the world. It has selections of writings of Mahatma, which i found myself reading 1 or 2 at a time, putting the book down and thinking about. Introduction by Thomas Merton.
Helen
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I never get tired of Gandhi- the quotations are great for stimulating discussion in Youth Council.

Also, Thomas Merton- so good!
Mark Achar
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. Gandhi gives the best arguments, with different examples from articles he has written. The non-violence philosophy is amazing.
Anders
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
A compilation, almost a digest of quotes...
Evelyn
Jul 27, 2009 added it
Es posible la concepción en estos tiempos del ahimsa?
Timothy Brown
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tip-top
essential
Sladjana Savic
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nema moćnih i nemoćnih ljudi, svi imaju snagu u sebi koju možda još nisu otkrili.
Laura Grow-Nyberg
Another one for the important-but-dry shelf.
Juliana Daggett
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and informative especially for Thesis Papers
Steve Dustcircle
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Interesting, but I felt the book was written to try to say Gandhi was a good person with great ideals, but here's Christianity which might be better for some reason. Misleading.
E.D.E. Bell
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of quotes on Gandhi's application of ahimsa, especially if the reader is interested in highlights.
Heather
Feb 01, 2015 added it
Shelves: ben
B C2 R6
Glen Gersmehl
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
great intro to Gandhian nonviolence through brief quotations
Bjørn Peterson, PhD
Merton's introduction to Gandhi is vivid and deep. His edited collection of Gandhi quotes is very good.

• At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)
  • Rosa Parks : "Non à la discrimination raciale" (Ceux qui ont dit non)
  • Es ist genug da. Für alle.: Wenn wir den Hunger bekämpfen, nicht die Natur
  • The Divan
  • The Dhammapada
  • Drei Männer im Schnee
  • Silly Verse For Kids
  • Blood of My Blood (I Hunt Killers, #3)
  • The Pilgrimage
  • Modern Man in Search of a Soul
  • The Essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy SEAL
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal
“Peace cannot be built on exclusivism, absolutism, and intolerance. But neither can it be built on vague liberal slogans and pious programs gestated in the smoke of confabulation. There can be no peace on earth without the kind of inner change that brings man back to his "right mind." p. 31” 29 likes
“The cause of liberty becomes a mockery if the price to be paid is the wholesale destruction of those who are to enjoy liberty. Ghandi, quoted in Merton, p. 68” 19 likes