Start by marking “The Woman in Cabin 10” as Want to Read:
The Woman in Cabin 10

The Woman in Cabin 10

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  206,013 Ratings  ·  19,954 Reviews
In this tightly wound, enthralling story reminiscent of Agatha Christie’s works, Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the waters calm, and the veneered, select guests jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her ...more
Published July 19th 2016 by Gallery/Scout Press (first published June 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman in Cabin 10, please sign up.
Michele Is it just me or did anyone else find the main character in this book totally unlikable? It seems to me she is rude to almost everyone in the book,…moreIs it just me or did anyone else find the main character in this book totally unlikable? It seems to me she is rude to almost everyone in the book, including the man who loves her-who happens to be the only likable character in the whole book. I just have a hard time caring about a book when the main character is rude and uncaring about everyone but herself. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Joe G
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Meh. I enjoyed Ruth Ware's debut a lot more than this one. I found I was expected to suspend my disbelief even more in The Woman in Cabin 10 and I wasn't having any of it. It also felt like a not as good carbon copy of The Girl on the Train. Usually even with all the similarities of thrillers these days, I can find enough originality in the story to feel the author didn't *try* to follow the same formula. That didn't exactly happen here. It felt like the author just replaced a few facts with s ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Linda
I received a copy of The Woman in Cabin 10 from NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Gallery Scout Press, and Ruth Ware for the opportunity. This book will be published in July, 2016.

You know the feeling.....poised for sound and vigilant for any hint of the slightest evidence of movement. You are alone. At least that is what your mind tells you.

Lo Blacklock has barely an eye open after a night of some serious throwing 'em back drinking. But there are sounds coming from the out
Will M.
The Woman in Cabin 10 promised an intense read, but all I felt after reading this was intense anger. Anger because I expected so much more than what the author promised. The premise is typical of a thriller novel, it depicts a rollercoaster ride. This novel unfortunately is a huge disappointment for me. So much time wasted.

I listened to this book because I had other books I was already reading, and I need to listen to a book while driving. The narrator didn't have the most pleasing voice, but sh
Deanna
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

This is my first book by Ruth Ware. I have always wanted to take a luxury cruise and so the plot of this book intrigued me.

I was actually going to read Dark Dark Wood prior to reading this novel. However, since I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads Giveaway, so I figured I could always go back and read Dark Dark Wood some other time.

Journalist, Laura (Lo) Blacklock is a writer for a travel magazine. Lo suffers
Diane S ☔
Deep sixing this one. Read only 14% so not rating it. Not feeling it and to be honest the dialogue just seems corny.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just knew I was going to love this book because I love the cover. I know, that almost never happens =) Then I thought this was just going to be a lets all get drunk at all times and then say stupid things and yell at boyfriend and get drunk some more and see a body on a ship, the end, goodbye. Well, it was kinda like that. What is it with everyone having to be drunk all of the time in these books?

When I first started the book last night, I couldn't put it down. I wanted to get to the ship and
Emma Giordano
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide between 3.5 stars and 4 stars, but I enjoyed this read! I struggled with it a bit, but I enjoyed the ending overall.

TW: home invasion, anxiety (panic attacks), substance abuse, lowkey sexual assault

I feel as if this is one of those books that I don't have much to say on. I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing and the beginning was slightly boring, but the ending of the story was thrilling and very clever in my opinion.

I was surprised to find a very positive portray of medication
Melissa
If I’m being totally honest, I didn’t go into this book with the highest of expectations. In fact, I’m not even sure what made me request an advanced copy. It’s no secret, I wasn’t a huge fan of In a Dark, Dark Wood. Unlike a lot of other readers, I found it to be kind of slow and predictable. This one on the other hand - it totally worked for me.

A cruise ship in the middle of the ocean turned out to be the perfect setting for a chilling tale. I could feel the ebb and flow of the nausea inducing
Miranda Reads
"There’s a reason why we keep thoughts inside our heads for the most part—they’re not safe to be let out in public."
Laura "Lo" Blacklock just won the career lottery - her pregnant boss can no longer attend the Aurora cruise. Instead, her boss sends Lo as the magazine's representative to the maiden voyage.
“For a travel journalist I’m worryingly bad at geography.”
The ship is full of rich socialites, intrepid reporters and world-renowned rich folks - the perfect people to wine &
Susanne Strong
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Stars.
Very Suspenseful!

Lo Blacklock is a travel journalist who is invited to go aboard the Aurora Borealis to do a story on the new ship for her magazine. Lo thinks a week away on a luxury cruise liner sounds like a dream come true. After all, her apartment was just burgled and since she’s been anxious about it, she’s had trouble sleeping ever since.

As she’s getting ready for her first formal dinner, Lo realizes that she forgot mascara, thus she knocks on the door of Cabin 10 next door to bor
Rachael
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I smacked my head on a low hanging light fitting earlier so am particularly grumpy, but here's what irked me about this book:

Whining protagonist, too anxious (and irritating) to function.
Plot holes bigger than the Grand Canyon.
Every character unlikable.
Glossed over sexual assault.
Took Forever to get going.
That ENDING, I hurt my eyes rolling them so hard.

Guess what Lo Blacklock? I wouldn't have believed you either.

The end.
Sam Quixote
Laura Blacklock is a travel journalist given a career-boosting opportunity to cover the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise liner headed to see the Northern Lights. On her first night there she meets a mysterious woman in the cabin next to hers, cabin 10, and then later hears a scream and the sounds of a body being dumped into the sea, seeing what she thinks is blood on the neighbouring railing. Except the cabin is empty and no-one on the ship matches the woman’s description. A heavy drinker and us ...more
Lala BooksandLala
This started out so strong, it was well paced and suspenseful... then it took a turn and got seriously weird and ridiculous.
Carol
3.5 Stars

Light, fast and fun, this crime-mystery is like reading a cross between Agatha Christie and Janet Evanovich.

The trouble begins at home with a whack in the face, and quickly moves to a small luxurious cruise liner. When disaster happens to THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10, journalist Laura (Lo) Blacklock witnesses it, but unfortunately does not stay silent, (no spoiler here) and her life aboard the Aurora evolves into a complicated series of mishaps.

Between panic attacks from not taking her meds an

Elise (TheBookishActress)
I just realized I don't hate myself and therefore will not be completing this. if you look up the word mediocre in the dictionary it’s just a photo of this book. maybe a photo of the opening page because the cover is the only thing about this that isn’t shit

Listen, this is just about the most generic thriller ever written. Let’s talk about all the shitty ass ways this book copies The Girl on the Train, a 2015 novel that I have an immense distaste for. They have the exact same plot. Lead observes
Norma * Traveling Sister
Well that was a much better read for me than the author's first book, IN A DARK, DARK WOOD as it was slow-moving for me and just didn't maintain my interest. This one though was fast-paced and had me entertained and engaged right from the very first chapter.

THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 by RUTH WARE was a chilling and suspenseful thriller with the perfect setting for a mystery on a small luxurious cruise liner with only 10 cabins set to sail from London to Norway. I was really intrigued with the setting
Book of Secrets
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! This book was a wild ride. It's going to take a while for me to calm down, lol. THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 is Ruth Ware's second thriller, and I enjoyed this one even more than her debut, IN A DARK, DARK WOOD.

Travel reporter Lo Blacklock is given an amazing assignment, a week-long cruise aboard an exclusive luxury ship. Only ten cabins, so you know the small group of guests will be pampered as they sail from England to Norway. The excursion is lovely at first, but Lo's fun comes to an end when
Matthew
As soon as I started reading this and posting statuses, I got several replies about how much people did not like this book. I cannot remember getting that much negative feedback about a book on my progress statuses. So, I figured I would either be joining the world in slamming this book, or I would be trying to make my case about how everyone was wrong.

Well, I am kinda in the middle.

I didn’t hate the book, but it didn’t blow me away. It feels like it was intentionally written to fit in with the
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars! What an intense, suspenseful book - I really enjoyed this! The author, Ruth Ware, does a fantastic job of creating an extremely vivid atmosphere - I felt like I was a passenger on the cruise ship observing the story unfold. I had a hard time putting this book down as the suspense starting building from chapter one and didn't stop until the very last page of the book. And I just loved that ending!

At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the main character, Lo, as she seemed secretive and
Trina (Between Chapters)
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Trina (Between Chapters) by: Rebecca (whymermaids)
The bad
It's a real pity that the author used so many awful descriptions of weight and illness. It's not exactly shaming, but the language serves to dehumanize people who are fat, very thin, or ill.

-One character is described as "wearing jewelry weighing more than she did," (p. 58) and we're constantly reminded of all her jutting, sharp features.
-Describing fat characters as being "the size of a walrus" (p. 58, 178) happens more than once. We're frequently reminded at how easily one overweight
Phrynne
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The big question is how do you rate a book like this? To be absolutely honest I ploughed through the first half thinking how poor the dialogue was, how irritating the MC was and pretty much why am I bothering with this book. And then suddenly it became tense and exciting and the MC got her act together (more or less) and then the ending was brilliant!!! The last bit (view spoiler) loved it:)
So how do you rate a book which is basically only adequate but which has
♡ Kim ♡
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, i-own, giveaway-wins
So... I was really looking forward to this one, as I loved In a Dark, Dark Wood. I devoured that one in a single sitting. I have to say, lately, it seems like the books that I really look forward to have been letting me down, but luckily, not this one - I loved it! I had to force myself to take breaks, so I could also enjoy my family over the holiday weekend. Meanwhile, even without the book in hand, it remained in my head - kept me guessing - even had me trying to play a game of guess whodunit ...more
Heidi The Hippie Reader
A so-so mystery with an unreliable narrator that takes place, for the most part, on a boat. It was ok thriller, but I would never have read it without the encouragement of my book club.

In the desperate search for "the next Gone Girl", The Woman in Cabin 10 was put forward as an option. I think that's unfair. The next Gone Girl or Hunger Games will be so clearly original and ground-breaking that it couldn't be titled the next fill-in-the-blank.

And, with that sort of hype, it put an expectation on
Carol
The Hook The primary location of The Woman in Cabin 10 is the maiden voyage of boutique luxury cruise ship seeking the Northern Lights and the break-taking Norwegian Fjords. The ship, fittingly named The Aurora, reminded me of a locked room mystery device which always intrigues me.

The Line ”I groaned at my own stupidity.”

The Sinker – Now, wasn’t that fun! A tad repetitive, with just the right amount of tense buildup, The Woman in Cabin 10 managed to keep me thinking while listening.
(view spoiler
Nazanin
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

This story is about Laura who is a journalist and works for a travel magazine. She is on board in a boat. One night she heard a very loud splash, like something falling into the sea! Then when she went to see what’s happening she saw a body disappearing under the water. And she saw blood on the privacy barrier that separated her veranda from that of cabin 10. But when she went to get the help they found nothing and they told her that that cabin has been empty. There was no guest in that c
Megan Johnson
I ordered this one on a whim after seeing several other people recommend it - the premise seemed okay, interesting enough to pique my interest but not enough that I found myself rushing out to grab it. When I was able to get it for free on black friday with another purchase I was making, I figured it was as good a time as any to see what everyone else has been talking about.

Whoo buddy, let me tell you I should have picked this one up a looooong time ago because it's hands down one of my all-tim
Diane
This is a fun whodunit that kept me turning the pages.

The Woman in Cabin 10 follows Lo Blacklock, a travel journalist who gets a free trip on a luxury cruise in the North Sea. However, things go wrong the first night when she thinks she hears a woman murdered in the cabin next door. Lo starts asking questions, but she feels threatened and doesn't know who to trust. Everyone on the ship is a suspect!

This book felt like a modern take on an Agatha Christie murder mystery. The reader has to try and
If there is any recently published novel that can be truly marketed as the next The Girl on the Train, it is The Woman in Cabin 10. A narrator whose personal issues cause her to appear unreliable, anxiety-riddled, paranoid, and even to begin questioning her own truth... One who is so preoccupied with the safety of an anonymous woman that she can't function... One whose investigative efforts end up putting her at grave risk... hmmm, sound familiar? The similarities were distracting. Hell, even th ...more
Linda
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This started out to be very similar to "The Girl on the Train," which was discouraging. (Not that I didn't like that book. I just was hoping for a different storyline.) The main character, Lo, was not making a good first impression on me--always silently regretting how her words came out differently than she had meant them to, which seemed like every time she spoke. I had begun to think I was in for a very long, boring read. However, this would quickly change.

With every page, I became more invol
  • I See You
  • All the Missing Girls
  • Watching Edie
  • Listen to Me
  • The Wolf Road
  • The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)
  • The Perfect Neighbors
Ruth Ware grew up in Sussex, on the south coast of England. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in North London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. She is married with two small children, and In a Dark, Dark Wood is her début thriller.

Find her on twitter at www.twitter.com/ruthwarew
More about Ruth Ware
“My friend Erin says we all have demons inside us, voices that whisper we're no good, that if we don't make this promotion or ace that exam we'll reveal to the world exactly what kind of worthless sacks of skin and sinew we really are Maybe that's true. Maybe mine just have louder voices.” 30 likes
“Maybe that was closer to the truth--we weren't captor and captive, but two animals in different compartments of the same cage. Hers was just slightly larger.” 9 likes