Start by marking “Magic Born (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic Born (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born #1)

Magic Born (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  1,008 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
After the death of her parents, Kat Thomas retreated from college life into an online fantasy game.

But what if the game she plays is closer to reality?

When a panther shifter named Alex knocks on her door one night, he delivers a message and a package. Kat's birth mother was a powerful mage who has just been murdered...and now the killer is after Kat. The package contains h
Published April 10th 2016 by Branwen Press

To ask other readers questions about Magic Born, please sign up.
Kimisha Pretty sure you have the answer by now but it's Magic Unknown (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born Book 2)

Sana
Jan 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
I retried reading this properly and I just DNF @ 13%.

◇She lets in a guy into her house who tried to "stalk her" and "harass" her.
◇Ice came out of her hands and if it were me I'd be freaking out.
◇I hate the writing style.
The MC JUST seems very immature and I don't want to read about her pointless blabbering.

-----
DNF @ 18%

I hate reading on kindle bc I just can't focus for some reason. I skimmed through the 18% and didn't really understand anything.

This is a super short book and I could have
Simone Pond
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Caethes Faron has a way with words that pulls you right into the story. I've been reading a ton of urban fantasy and this particular story stood out for me. I related to the main character a lot and appreciated her honesty and trusted her through the journey. I'm excited to see what's next!
Xiamera
Jul 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
For such an intriguing world, this book had some crappy characters. Kat didn't impress me one bit. She didn't act like a 20 something adult, more like a teenager and this book probably would've fared better if it was in that age range. (view spoiler) ...more
Melenia
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Good read.

I enjoyed this book for the most part. World creation was pretty good overall. There are a couple of things I would change which is why it's not a five star, but I will probably read the next book in the series.
chucklesthescot
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fiction, uf-pnr
When Kat takes delivery of a magical necklace that belongs to her dead mother, her life of gaming and moping is about to be turned upside down. After surviving an attack by an assassin Kat realises that she needs to find out about the necklace and the powers it seems to give her. With help from a panther shifter she sets out to get some answers from Casper, the creator of her favourite online game who claims to also know her mother. He is leader of a mage rebellion and Kat and her necklace are t ...more
Daniel Mitton
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the premise of this book. Kat is a college student nearing graduation who has no idea what she wants to do next. She is thinking of graduate school…but doesn’t appear to be at all concerned about it. What she does have a passion for is on line games. She has been playing one game in particular and is quite good at it. But when a strange young man shows up at the door with package for her, which turns out to be a magical talisman from her dead birth mother, things go off track quickly.

I
Bookmafia
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy

Age: 16+ ( aged based off content, which is mild in comparison to many YA books. Also based off complexity of the writing.)

Recommendation: Yes, I would recommend to the mid teen to older teen crowd. This will especially appeal to those who play MMO games such as World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons.

Type: Series, this is book one in the Elustria Chronicles.

Summary: + interesting but predictable plot -mediocre heroine -minimal world building -awkward romance +cool v
Tanya
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great start to a new series!

I fully enjoyed Magic Born- Caethes Faron does an amazing job with world-building and the main character was believable and a great unlikely heroine.

The first third of the book went a little slow, but that's good because there was a lot of information thrown my way. Kat is by herself in the world, her adopted parents passed away 6 months earlier and she is stuck going to a college when she doesn't even know what she wants to do in life. The only thing she look
Jenny
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an advance copy from the Author in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing I noticed in this book is how much I actually love the cover. There is no denying that I actually loved the first few chapters of this book, but as the story continues, I just found it hard for me to grasp everything about the Mage world that surrounds Kat's heritage. There are some twist and turns that turns out to be simple and unsurprising. And the fact that neither the story nor the writing picked u
T.W. Barton
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Books about magic have always drawn me in and when I found this book I liked the blurb so decided to give it a try.

The plot is very different from other books in the genre that I've read which is always a plus.

Kat is the main character of this tale. She is basically a college kid who spends an inordinate amount of time immersed in the gaming world, one game in particular who's players can spend days or weeks trying to complete the level challenges. While a multiplayer game one of the great appea
Jan Niblock
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up and had no idea what to expect from it. But the minute I started to read it, I was immersed. I could not wait to see what was going to happen to Kat. Here is a college student who is a gamer and now is part of the game. Some of the questions I had going through my mind were; how is she going to react? Survive? Overcome? Then there is Alex, the shifter, who is only a delivery person. What is really his role? Will he just do his duty and leave? Will he form a bond with Kat? A ...more
Wanderlust
I tried really hard to get into this book but a third of the way through I'm not enjoying it/I don't think it is particularly interesting, I actually started to do housework by choice rather than continuing to read it! Not my jam I'm afraid. I found it; boring, slow paced, the character's flatter than pancakes and there wasn't very good world building in my opinion.
Concetta Phillipps
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun one. Definitely want to come back to this series.
Meg
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finished this book in one sitting. About halfway through I started losing steam, but I was determined to finish it because 1. I'm really hoping to reach my reading goal this year and 2. It's short. Heck, the reason I gave it two stars instead of one is because it's short.

Here are things that I liked
-it's short.
-it sort of involves a road trip and I have a soft spot for those.
- ??? Involved a video game ????

Ok now I'm going to list the things I didn't like.

1. There's barely a first act. I k
Miki
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
disclaimer: I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

An excellent beginning for an urban fantasy series! Since i'm a roleplaying gamer ( though never online) i was very curious about this title even more since it had Magic yes but also shifter so when i got the opportunity to discover it in exchange for a review i was delighted.

It's really good and it makes it difficult to decide by what to start^^. The characters, i love Alex he is a panther shifter and in this universe
Katie
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Defiantly a good book for high school and higher aged readers.

I loved this book till towards the end. The end felt a bit rushed and I figured out a bit of it before the end. The plot was fairly predictable but I still enjoyed it. I would have loved more of the world this takes place in. I know it is supost to be a world like ours but there was very little descriptions of anything. To me this was good and bad. It allowed me to see the world as I wanted to but I feel for some people (specially hig
Eirlys
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Born a Mage

I loved this book. I loved Kat and Alex ' s adventures. The story flowed seamlessly with twists and turns that thrilled. I empathised with the bewilderness that Kat felt when her world tilted changing everything that she believed in. I look forward to reading more about their adventures.
Susan
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Based on a good idea, the writer's lack of skill creates a vapid, confused, boring tale. Zero stars is a more accurate rating for this one.
Karisa
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Serra Zander
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Eh.

I think I might be a bit older than the target audience for this book. It would explain why I felt that the characters were flat and the plot predictable and lackluster. But I could see if I were younger and reading this book as a young girl in high school how it might catch my attention and I might even like it. So I'm going to go with it wasn't bad but it wasn't my cup of tea either. Probably much better for a younger reading audience.
Danielle Goodwin
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Caethes Faron's "Magic Born" is the first tale in the Elustria Chronicles series. This is a great read if you're a gamer! A fanciful tale about a serial gamer who finds out she's got magic in her. Some interesting plot elements and some good twists and turns. Love her relationship with Alex. The mythology (mages, sorcerers, shifters, etc.) is very detailed and enjoyable.
Shirley
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting book!

Enchanting tale! Woven with beautifully written twists and turns. Can't wait to read the next book in the series. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a light hearted yet serious plot. Just enough of a romantic twist to make it interesting and also figure out who you can really trust.
Please enjoy this book 😊
N Robin Howard-Arduini
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magical powers, oh my!

Maybe it's just me, but as I read this book i felt as if I was a part of it. I felt as if maybe I was going to find out that I had magical powers. I didn't want to put the book down even though I did. It is definitely an exciting read.
Kayla
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I think I will pass on continuing this series. The plot is way too cheesy, the writing style is too simplistic although there were a few nice lines, and the random love triangle (if you can call it that) is bestially uncomfortable.
Clint_b
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great new series

Interesting world with a great plot line.
The characters are relatable and fun.
Looking forward to Kay's development as a person and as a mage.
rusty mccurdy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a real page turner. I enjoyed it so much, am reading it again. I intend to read the whole series. Miss Rusty McCurdy
Lee
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book
Patricia Burleson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good

This is a good book full of action and magic. The characters are strong and the heroine is quite good. Great story line so grab your copy and enjoy reading.
Carol
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magic

When gamers play their various games they seem to become part of their game. In this book it becomes a reality. Different but I enjoyed it.
Melissa
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story.
  • Ties That Bind (The Spire Chronicles, #2)
  • Head Above Water (Gemini, #2)
  • Wolfborn
  • Swamp Bromeliad (Incryptid, #3.4)
  • Magic Kingdom (Dragon Born Alexandria, #3)
  • Pirateship Down (Sentinels of New Orleans #4.5)
  • The Immortality Cure (Henri Dunn, #1)
  • Divine Vices (Divine Vices, #1)
  • Broken
  • Dark Secrets: A Paranormal Noir Anthology
  • Half Wolf (Alpha Underground, #1)
  • Replica (The Blood Borne #2)
  • Mirror Mage (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #2)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • Soul Resurrected (Sons of Wrath, #2)
  • Dead Rising (The Templar, #1)

The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born (4 books)
  • Magic Unknown (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born #2)
  • Magic Betrayed (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born #3)
  • Magic Hunted (The Elustria Chronicles: Magic Born #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)