Start by marking “The Wolfman” as Want to Read:
The Wolfman

The Wolfman

Marlowe Higgins has had a hard life. Since being dishonorably discharged after a tour in Vietnam, he's been in and out of prison, moving from town to town, going wherever the wind takes him. He can’t stay in one place too long--every full moon he kills someone.

Marlowe Higgins is a werewolf. For years he struggled with his affliction, until he found a way to use this unfort
Published May 13th 2008 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wolfman, please sign up.
Kellie The author died before writing anything else.

Start your review of The Wolfman
Rachel Aranda
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-rentals
The concept was solid but the execution was a wee bit boring for me. This should have been a book I loved, based off of my taste in books, but very early one I just couldn't get into this story. Usually when I give a 2 star rating there is something wrong with the book to make me dislike it, but this book is unique as there isn't really anything wrong with it. I can see many people liking and even loving this book, but I just saw the book as uninteresting. To me, the narration read a bit monoton ...more
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
As the editor tells us in his beginning note, Nicholas Pekearo didn't get to do much writing before his death. The Wolfman is his debut book and he had envisioned a series of books featuring the Vietnam Veteran Marlowe Higgins and his dark secret, but alas Nicholas was killed in the line of duty, working as an unarmed volunteer police officer in New York city.

This is, in fact, quite sad for many reasons.. but the main one that touches me (and you) personally is that he was one hell of a writer.
Amy
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it
This was actually a quite enjoyable book -- quick, breezy, several good turns of phrase and a few good zigs just when you think you've got it figured out where he's going with the whole werewolf thing.

Of course I initially purchased out of respect for the author -- Nicholas Pekearo found out from his agent that this book would be published, and then three days later he was killed in the line of duty as an NYPD Auxillary cop while pursuing a guy who had just shot up a pizza parlor on Houston. Rea
Zain
Incomparable! Exceptional! Capital!

Although he became a volunteer policeman, Pekearo was born to be a writer!

His writing style is illustrative, clarifying and classical. He was obviously a talented artist.

Our protagonist, Marlowe, our ant-hero, is cursed with the werewolf malady. It has been passed down on him through generations, after an ancestor kills an old Indian shaman.

Unable to kill himself, once he becomes aware of his curse, Marlowe decides to live with it.

How he decides to do this is t
Cory
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book presents a bit of a conundrum to me. I really, really wanted to like it. The summary/teaser on the dustjacket outlined an excellent plot, and I really thought the main character sounded very interesting. Unfortunately, the best word I can come up with to describe the book is either of these: cliched or predictable. I don't want to be "that guy", but it was obvious to me about halfway through the book who the serial killer was. On the plus side, I don't think the author was really going ...more
Ashok Banker
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Early in this novel, during the prologue, a character driving his car on a lonely road encounters a creature that we know is a werewolf though he doesn't. The beast leaps onto the hood of the car and then, the narrator tells us, crouched there glaring in at the driver "like he owed him money". That line made me laugh out loud. That's a reaction I never had from a typical werewolf novel and I've read a few. What makes this debut novel such a fun read is that unexpected mashup of wit and dismantle ...more
Angela H.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, paranormal
*** I do not have positive nor negative review for this book. I found the plot to be interesting and different.

For a thriller involving a cursed man (werewolf), the author presents a different perspective of the werewolf's life. Like the hulk in end game, Marlowe accepts the werewolf that lives within him. Like Jack reacher, Marlowe lives like a homeless nomad moving town to town.

At the same time, he manages to direct the wolf to not kill innocent blood, which is the lesser evil of two choices
Melissa
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Have you ever had to endure a guy at work or at a party that thinks he is superbly clever and charming, but is really the most cliche, sexist dumbwit in the room? This book is that guy.

It kept me reading because, while the plot points are completely unoriginal and entirely predictable, they're new to the werewolf myth. AND occasionally, this guy has a decent cadence and can actually - from time to time - write a clever metaphor. No matter what he thinks, though, he's no Raymond Chandler.
Redsteve
The Wolfman is Pekearo's first and only novel, published posthumously. While definitely having a modern feel, this book mostly sticks with the traditional werewolf motif - uncontrollable killing machine transforming by the light of the full moon, passed down through a family curse, awakening the next day with no memory of what he has done. Marlowe feels like a realistic character - pretty messed up in a lot of ways but trying to deal with his curse. Two issues I do have with his version of the w ...more
Wayne Turmel
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good werewolf story, and this is definitely original, bloody and exciting. It's a shame this is the only novel we'll get from Pekearo (the editor and end notes are worth a read) as I would have loved to have more. The worldbuilding is a bit clunky at times but the author's take on the werewolf legend and what lycans can and can't do make for an thrilling ride.
Tarl
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, werewolves
This book came to me from a number of websites that stated that it was one of the best werewolf fictions out there, so I decided to grab it. I was not let down.

Pekearo has crafted a dynamic story laden with interesting characters, haunting situations, and horrific crimes. There are a lot of elements within this novel that work extremely well, so it's going to be hard to nail all of them down here in this review, so I'll just touch on the top ones.

The characters in The Wolfman are easily one of t
Robby
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This was an excellent debut for young Nicholas Pekearo. The book had a new feel/slant to an old story; "The Wolfman". I thought this had the makings of a good series. We'll never know.... To Quote:"[Pekearo's] unusual blend of Bukowskiesque misanthropism,Lovecraftian horror,and hard-boiled existentialism `a la Ed McBain make the novel's intimate,first-person narration an unforgettable read....Crime fiction, paranormal fantasy, and horror fans alike should cherish this outstanding debut."--Chicag ...more
Greg
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
A good example of "don't judge a book by its title. This sleeper hit is a winner in a big way, and not your typical monster story - couldn't put it down, read it in a couple sittings.

There's some terrific unexpected twists to the usual Wolfman myth going on here. I'd tell you what they are, but if you're lucky you'll get to discover them yourself like I did! If you see any reviews with spoilers, don't read 'em. Instead just run out and get this book.

This is a page-turning blend of crime thriller
Chris
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I stumbled across this book while weeding our collection and was attracted to this book due to the tragic biography of its author. The "wolfman" lives in a small Tennessee town working as a cook. He's a wanderer and a werewolf from a curse that's been handed down through the centuries. He is a Vietnam veteran too. He's come to realize he can manage his need to kill by eliminating the bad people. So if this were a TV series it would be like Dexter meets Supernatural. It's written in a funny and s ...more
Huda Sarkowi
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definitely NOT recommended to tween/teenager/young adult fans who read Twilight. This book is grittier, a sort of honest point of view of a man cursed to turn into a wolf every full moon. Sorry girls, no Jacob Black whatsoever here.

I like it, it's a breeze turning from a page to another. Although almost from the start I've already knew or at least predicted who the Rose Killer is, it wasn't a problem to me. The flashback of the wolfman previous life that shaped his cruel destiny is relevant to w
Archie
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of the most entertaining novels I’ve read in a good while. The main character is charming, the plot moves at a steady pace and seeing a Werewolf kill people is always a delight. There were some good one liners here and there too, with some jokes actually landing quite well, physically making me laugh out loud, which is no easy feat.

That being said, despite my enjoyment of this book, it bore a lot of writing that made it sub par on a technical level. The prose lacked flow, bearing way
Jeff
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Marlowe is a Vietnam war veteran who returns to America after his platoon is ambushed in the jungle. He has no memory of the events that brought him home, but soon learns that he's brought with him a deadly curse. After settling in a small town with a job at a diner, the lycanthropic protagonist loses the equilibrium he had established when a new monster moves into town in the form of a very human murderer. (view spoiler) ...more
Lora
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a werewolf story, and this one was number one on Barnes and Nobles list of "5 must-read werewolf novels." As B&N pointed out, most werewolf stories are formulaic, for example paranormal romances, but this one offers a new take - a man who has, over the course of time, learned to use his werewolf transformation for good. He uses his detective skills to find a target - dangerous criminals not yet identified by the police. When the moon is full, he uses the wolf's super-senses ...more
Brian
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was interesting. It follows Marlow, short order cook, werewolf, and vigilante. To satiate his inner animal, he finds people he thinks are worthy of death but have escaped justice. The book was ok. It seemed more like a rough draft. There is a minor mystery about a serial killer in town. However you are 90% certain who the killer is because a random stranger has shown up in town just as the killing start. The author died young, so I see this novel as more of the promise of who he could ...more
Jordan Howard
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A compelling hook for a story with some interesting ideas and variations on the werewolf mythos, plus a unique and sympathetic lead character (made more so by the the effectively doled out flashbacks that fill in the margins of his life).

Unfortunately the actual plot isn't great, the central mystery is fairly weak and extremely predictable (seriously, it's made blatantly obvious who the killer is within the first 10 pages, and then every "clue" repeatedly bangs you over the head with it).

It's de
Sally
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun mystery about a guy who is sort of the thug but who befriends a cop. This guy also happens to be a werewolf and throughout the book you see why it’s a curse. I wouldn’t consider this a horror book because it really isn’t scary. I did like the werewolf and I did like the characters. I would have liked this as a series.
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I almost stopped reading this one. It took me half of the book to get into it, but then the author finally gives us a character we actually care about and back story for the ones you didn't so much before. The writing was fairly weak with little excerpts that were little nuggets of gold. The mystery was pretty obvious from the beginning, but a really interesting Dexter style concept.
Hannah
Jun 30, 2020 added it
I'm not sure if this is a 2 or 3 stars for me. I found the main character unlikable, but I did feel sorry for him when I was supposed to. The book was also way to crude for my taste.

I don't read a lot of thrillers, so it did feel really new and fun. The ending was a tad bit obvious, though.

I was really sad to find out about the author's death. God rest his soul.
Kate Laws
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great book! Classic monster story with a twist. The writing was excellent, the story fast paced and engrossing. The main character is well fleshed out and Pekearo avoided making him too predictable or cliche. I really enjoyed this.
J Robin Harris Szabo
The story was interested but the writing was unpolished and basic. The outcome was pretty predictable although an incident early on in the book was unexpected and added a significant amount of interest.
Erin
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting take on werewolfs I liked it a lot.
Magdalena
It took me forever to get into this book but I ended up really liking it.
Barbara Brumley Brandenburg
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nicholas Pekearo was a young, prolific writer who was killed in the line of duty volunteering as an NYPD Auxiliary Police Officer. This is his first and only published novel.
Ilija Ilić
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Amazing book! Masterpiece! I'm so sad for Nicholas and that there isn't more books. He was really talented and i'm so glad i found this jewel in library!
Nakia
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it despite the fact that I knew who the killer was early on. Pekaearo had a knack for capturing the protagonist's voice.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Werewolves: The Wolfman ***Spoilers Welcome*** 3 5 Nov 06, 2020 02:46PM
Werewolves: The Wolfman ***NO Spoilers*** 4 5 Nov 05, 2020 11:00AM

• A House at the Bottom of a Lake
  • The Last to See Me (The Last Ghost, #1)
  • Cycle of the Werewolf
  • The Boatman's Daughter
  • The Wolfman
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Suicide Forest (World's Scariest Places #1)
  • The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf #1)
  • The Wolf's Hour
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Twelve
  • Highfire
  • Piranesi
  • The Howling
Nicholas Pekearo was an author and volunteer NYPD Auxillary Police Officer living in New York City. In the spring of 2007 he was shot and killed in the line of duty in Greenwich Village whilst in the pursuit of a murderer. His first book, The Wolfman, was published posthumously in 2009.