Start by marking “The Business Blockchain: Promise, Practice, and Application of the Next Internet Technology” as Want to Read:

The definitive pioneering blueprint covering the what, why and how of the blockchain.

Blockchains are new technology layers that rewire the Internet and threaten to side-step older legacy constructs and centrally served businesses. At its core, a blockchain injects trust into the network, cutting off some intermediaries from serving that function and creatively disrupting h
Published April 26th 2016 by Wiley (first published April 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Business Blockchain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Business Blockchain

Start your review of The Business Blockchain: Promise, Practice, and Application of the Next Internet Technology
Clayton
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was probably the intended audience for this book. I have a fairly strong technical background, but I do not directly work in IT. I was interested in how the blockchain could change existing business practices and excited to learn about what innovations the blockchain could make possible. I picked up this book because I wanted to get an overview of what the blockchain is and what I can do with it. Looking at the back cover I was promised, "The definitive pioneering blueprint covering the what, ...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology, business
This is the second book I've read on the blockchain. I like this one far better! My problem with the other book is that it had so much vision that it felt like sci fi. This book feels like nearer future. It describes how we get there. It describes core concepts that exist now.

Chapter 1 starts with "Pay close attention. This chapter is probably the most important in the book." Lest you were wondering whether chapter 1 is fluff! The theory/assertion that blockchain will be a layer of the internet
Conrad Zero
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blockchain for CEO Dummies.

A business-level look at blockchain technology. Intended more for corp C-level (including startups, and a special focus on the financial industry) this is a good book to start envisioning the journey of decentralization and implementation of blockchain tech. If you think web and databases are good business tools, and if you know nothing about blockchain, then this is your book. Not sure how much value this will have outside the target market (as the other reviews here
Eduardo Pimazzoni
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for all who are seeking to know more about Blockchain technology. The author clarifies well all meanings and challenges faced by the technology as well its threats. You´ll learn different aspects and visions of how the technology can be used in a real world as well as a few predictions that can be in place in a 6 to 7 years ahead.
Jan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Succinct, well-structured and enthusiastic but not without a clear eye for issues and challenges. Feels like a solid introduction to a hard to understand topic of potential major importance for future technological developments.
Mathijs Gast
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book that provides both a good foundation on Blockchain (and what it could mean for business) and also an interesting vision on what will come in the next decade.

Must read for anyone investing and/or interested in Blockchain tech
Arno Mosikyan
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-tech
This book is good for those who would like to open the door of blockchain world in “blockchain for dummies” mode. I was one of those, and content was informative/new for me. Mougayar brings up quite nice definition for blockchain: public economic consensus. Blockchain is Trust 2.0, it is the decentralization of trust. Current paradigm is that trust is a fundamental function of state/government, we all have witnessed that traditional trust checking has become time consuming, costly and frictional ...more
Alex
Mougayar illustrates a number of key ideas here in a fairly clear manner. Most of these are springboard types, without a lot of elaboration; this approach differs quite a bit from the O'Reilly "Blockchain" book which goes into greater detail on specific types of potential blockchain applications. However, Mougayar's book offers a valuable perspective from the IT world, which may ultimately have a good deal of influence in the success and spread of this kind of technology, and the frameworks that ...more
Dazza Greenwood
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A remarkably good book on the business of capabilities, issues and options arising out of blockchain technology. I wish this author would publish 100 titles covering standard information and communication technologies in business contexts and from business vantage points in the way he approaches this book on the still niche technology of blockchains. This author deserves special recognition and this book should be carefully explored not only for elucidation of blockchain technology as a business ...more
Paul
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-nonfiction
Self-iso bookshelf cleanse #7

A few years ago, I wrote a research paper on the blockchain and how it might be incorporated into the financial sector. Since then, I've kept up with news about blockchain and spoken with some people who specialize in it, but I am far from an expert. Needless to say, I was looking forward to this book to give me some insight into how blockchain would impact different businesses beyond the financial sector. Unfortunately, it did not really do that. Having a bit of bac
Wei Jun
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The Business Blockchain by William Mougayar. Broad informative overview what blockchain is and does, traction for adoption and practical industry uses. Mougayar’s approach of using non-technical terms and analogies to explain blockchain in as simple terms possible. Initially picked this book up having no clue what blockchain was. Found it’s contents unusable to my interest and stopped reading. Started reading it again having had more pieces of information from on blockchain. Finishing The Busine ...more
Chris Esposo
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good overview of Blockchain as technology from a systems integrator, on the business side's perspective. The basics of blockchain are explained from a process standpoint, and the mechanics are explained through hypothetical use-cases, especially for those examples on non-financial applications, to which there are few in the current implementation.

The author emphasises the Blockchain as a general disintermediation tool, that could easily sit atop a standard DB to enable decentralized stron
Dolf van der Haven
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blockchain
Quite OK business perspective on Blockchain. It does not do great at explaining the technological concepts of Blockchain, but there are other books that do this well already.
There are some interesting pointers to current implementations of Blockchain other than cryptocurrencies, such as governement, enery and healthcare industries, but it is all very limited - which I suppose is the state of Blockchain at the time of writing.
Overall, the book is all quite high-level and therefore understandable,
Edward Kuruliouk
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Focusing more on the future potential of the blockchain technology, rather than specifically Bitcoin, makes this one of the better books I've read on the subject. This technology is literally changing the world and you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not learning as much as you can about it now.

This book is a great place to start and gives you a good idea of the potential for change that this technology has outside of just currency.
Faris
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Business Blockchain explained how Blockchain can influence the world from the basic to the next level.

For technical reader, it might be a little disappointing because the book didn't explain blockchain at technical level. But for non-technical reader, I recommend to read it because it explain blockchain comprehensively and easy to understand.

Overall, is like Blockchain 101 for everyone.
Alex Hui
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book offers a solid view of the potential of blockchain business.

There is limited explanation of blockchain, thus if the readers with little knowledge of blockchain may find some parts difficult to understand.

I appreciate author's effort to lay a very sound foundation for anyone who are interested in blockchain in business sense. It's written in 2016 but many of his suggestions/concepts are still under development. I would highly recommend this book as a reference.
Luke Gruber
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The blockchain technology/topic is extremely fascinating and exciting. I've watch many videos and read many articles to further my understanding and bought this book hoping for an extensive overview. It was extremely repetitive and vague. Love the topic, but if you're looking for more info regarding blockchains, look elsewhere. Not worth the time. It was ok.
Yanal
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I listened to this on Audible, but since it's packed with information, I'm now going to read on it Kindle because I felt like I missed on valuable information. From the listening, it was helpful to see how the blockchain technology is going to revolutionize so many industries. The descriptions get technical at times, so that's why I need to read this book again.
Franklyn Gonzalez
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great source in exploring the uses of Blockchain and Dapps in business. Most of what I found in this book gave me insight in making use of Blockchain while making my progress in learning more about the industry.

The only takeaway I received from this book is to start following up on news articles from businesses that are using Blockchain.
Ali Shaheen
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't know if I have read more bs ever! The author starts with a questions, goes on a hyperbole and then somewhere else in the galaxy and then says this is the core issue to understand!! It was a torture to read this.. :/
Brian Sweeney
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating look into the business applications of blockchain technology beyond cryptocurrencies. We're on the verge of the biggest technological revolution since the internet - get on board or get out of the way.
Dainius Jocas
I've look this book and read it from cover to cover with a hope that there will be some "aha" moments. None.

I feel that this book is written for business person, a manager that is used to reading all that marketing BS. Because I'm not in that target audience I feel a bitter taste.
Christopher
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, technology
Written with the layperson in mind, it is a clear and concise overview with some future-thinking application thrown in.

If you have a cursory knowledge of P2P networks, this will be an easy and understandable read.
M K935086
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
this book make scene about block-chain in three side Technical, Business and legal. expression of book is very good and like a story and not boring. writer in this book try to say that Block-chain is a new version of internet and we must more attention to it.
Armando Neves
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone in eh... interested in technology and value transfer.
Alexey Efimik
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: trading
You can find more & better-structured information about the topic if you just google it and watch a bunch of videos on youtube. ...more
R.
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid intermediate text; not code, but also not too fluffy.
Hector Wong
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Too generic, not for technical readers
Luca
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Good book to have a view about why blockchain is a key topic. It's a little bit too enthusiastic but you can balance it reading Radical technologies
Syed Irfan Ajmal
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book from the perspective of someone who seems to have good experience working with corporate clients, and has tried to use this book to explain blockchain to the business sector.

• Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World
  • Cryptoassets: The Innovative Investor's Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond
  • The Internet of Money
  • Blockchain: Blueprint for a New Economy
  • The Truth Machine: The Blockchain and the Future of Everything
  • Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money
  • Mastering Bitcoin: Unlocking Digital Cryptocurrencies
  • The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
  • #BreakIntoVC: How to Break Into Venture Capital And Think Like an Investor Whether You're a Student, Entrepreneur or Working Professional (Venture Capital Guidebook Book 1)
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy
  • The Internet of Money Volume Two
  • The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and Digital Money Are Challenging the Global Economic Order
  • The Industries of the Future
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-Smart Executive
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future

News & Interviews

“People do not buy fortune cookies because they taste better than every other cookie on the shelf. They buy them for the delight they deliver at the end of a meal. Marketers spend most of their time selling the cookie, when what they should be doing is finding a way to create a better fortune. Of course your job is to bake a good cookie, the very best that you can, but you must also spend time figuring out how to tell a great story.” 4 likes
“ONCE, a youth went to see a wise man, and said to him: “I have come seeking advice, for I am tormented by feelings of worthlessness and no longer wish to live. Everyone tells me that I am a failure and a fool. I beg you, Master, help me!” The wise man glanced at the youth, and answered hurriedly: “Forgive me, but I am very busy right now and cannot help you. There is one urgent matter in particular which I need to attend to...”—and here he stopped, for a moment, thinking, then added: “But if you agree to help me, I will happily return the favor.” “Of...of course, Master!” muttered the youth, noting bitterly that yet again his concerns had been dismissed as unimportant. “Good,” said the wise man, and took off a small ring with a beautiful gem from his finger. “Take my horse and go to the market square! I urgently need to sell this ring in order to pay off a debt. Try to get a decent price for it, and do not settle for anything less than one gold coin! Go right now, and come back as quick as you can!” The youth took the ring and galloped off. When he arrived at the market square, he showed it to the various traders, who at first examined it with close interest. But no sooner had they heard that it would sell only in exchange for gold than they completely lost interest. Some of the traders laughed openly at the boy; others simply turned away. Only one aged merchant was decent enough to explain to him that a gold coin was too high a price to pay for such a ring, and that he was more likely to be offered only copper, or at best, possibly silver. When he heard these words, the youth became very upset, for he remembered the old man’s instruction not to accept anything less than gold. Having already gone through the whole market looking for a buyer among hundreds of people, he saddled the horse and set off. Feeling thoroughly depressed by his failure, he returned to see the wise man. “Master, I was unable to carry out your request,” he said. “At best I would have been able to get a couple of silver coins, but you told me not to agree to anything less than gold! But they told me that this ring is not worth that much.” “That’s a very important point, my boy!” the wise man responded. “Before trying to sell a ring, it would not be a bad idea to establish how valuable it really is! And who can do that better than a jeweler? Ride over to him and find out what his price is. Only do not sell it to him, regardless of what he offers you! Instead, come back to me straightaway.” The young man once more leapt up on to the horse and set off to see the jeweler. The latter examined the ring through a magnifying glass for a long time, then weighed it on a set of tiny scales. Finally, he turned to the youth and said: “Tell your master that right now I cannot give him more than 58 gold coins for it. But if he gives me some time, I will buy the ring for 70.” “70 gold coins?!” exclaimed the youth. He laughed, thanked the jeweler and rushed back at full speed to the wise man. When the latter heard the story from the now animated youth, he told him: “Remember, my boy, that you are like this ring. Precious, and unique! And only a real expert can appreciate your true value. So why are you wasting your time wandering through the market and heeding the opinion of any old fool?” 3 likes