Start by marking “The Dollhouse” as Want to Read:
The Dollhouse

The Dollhouse (Paperdolls #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Riley Cain. Layla Hall. Adalyn Mitchell. Kylie Michaelson. Those are the four girls kidnapped from their hometown over seven years ago, and they’ve finally broken free of their prison. Suddenly, they find themselves thrown back into society. Now nineteen, the girls have to try and acclimate to how their families have changed, as well as the world around them. Nothing is as ...more
Published September 19th 2016 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dollhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dollhouse

Annamaria
"Fredom was mine, so why did I feel so sick?"

I read this book almost 3 months ago, it doesn't really feel right to be reviewing it now that all the details have totally slipped my mind but I received its ARC and it doesn't feel right snobbing it either. The concept of this story is really fascinating and, for someone who really loved Room it felt the right read to dive into. The book starts with a group of 4 girls, Riley, Layla, Adalyn and Kyle, with Riley being the protagonist of the story. The
Diana
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
What an AMAZING read. Pure gold. I hadn't read any other books from this author, but if they are like this one they sure are great. The book follows Riley, who has spent seven years of her life at the hands of a kidnapper who took her and three other girls to "play" with them as if they were dolls. When they finally escape, they find that their lives have changed, as much as in their families as in their heads, snd have to kind of learn to live again.
There are also chapters written from Wilson's
maedelle ♡
You may also find this review on The Bookish Goddess .

*** A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. ***

The Dollhouse has always been such an interesting concept. If I hadn’t known any better, I’d say this sounded a lot like the end of Pretty Little Liars season 4 or 5 – I think – when the Liars get trapped in a Dollhouse by A. It reminded me so much of that, which I thought was pretty interesting. This story, I find to be quite sensitive. So if you’re unco
Samantha Sim
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Full review here: https://samanthascw.wordpress.com/201...

4.5/5 stars

“You can never really fix what’s broken.”

The Dollhouse is the second book I’ve read that revolves around the issue of kidnapping. The first book was Room by Emma Donoghue which mostly tells the story of a mum and her son’s lives while they’re being held prisoner in a shed. The Dollhouse is different in the sense that it tells the story of how four girls try to fit back into their old lives after escaping from their prison. T
Faouzia
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book.

This was a very interesting and touching book. It offers another perspective and explores the other side of kidnapping. It explores the lives of victims who escaped after years of imprisonment and how they tried to adjust to the fact that they are back to life.

Riley, Layla, Adalyn and Kylie were kidnapped when they were 12 years old. As far as the world was concerned, they were supposed to be dead. But, by luck they manage
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Thanks to NetGalley and Curiosity Quills Press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

1.5 stars rounded up to 2 stars because I really liked many of the elements around Riley...

Riley Cain.

Layla Hall.

Adalyn Mitchell.

Kylie Michaelson.

These 4 dolls, kidnapped and trapped in their "master's" underground lair, finally break free at a terrible cost to themselves. They return to their families no longer 12 year old but child-like adults. As Riley tries to adjust to life as a
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Chapters read: 4 (and an Interlude)

I'm really not sure what made me request The Dollhouse, considering that there were some red flags in the description.

I liked the first couple of chapters fairly well. Riley's POV is decent, and the concept has promise. It's not bursting with voice, but it was good enough to keep me fairly engaged. However, then I got to the first interlude, the interludes being from her love interest Wilson's POV. The things Wilson thought about her made me one hundred percent
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
Have you ever seen that Netflix show “The Unstoppable Kimmy Schmidt”? Well, this is that story, only much more realistic. Riley helps her and 3 other girls escape from a crazy man who has kept them hidden in his house for 7 years pretending they are his “dolls”. Now, before I go any further let me get this out there, this is not a story of girls being sexually assaulted. There is definitely assault and humiliation and abuse but the abuser is more about keeping his dolls pretty and perfect and ha ...more
Susan
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Dollhouse By Nicole thorn is a romance and women's fiction read.
Riley Cain. Layla Hall. Adalyn Mitchell. Kylie Michaelson. Those are the four girls kidnapped from their hometown over seven years ago, and they’ve finally broken free of their prison. They were taken by a man whose name to them was only ever Master. He spent years perfecting them. Making them his little dolls, meant to love him and nothing else. Or so he thought.
A stroke of dumb luck supplied Riley with all she needed to end
Raven
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book is amazing! I received this book from curiosity quills for an honest review. I haven’t had the chance to read anything by Nicole Thorn yet and didn’t even read the synopsis to be honest but after the first page I was hooked! I finished this book in one sitting it was so good.

This book is mainly in the perspective of Riley Cain, who for the last 7 years has been held captive with 3 other girls, Layla Hall, Adalyn Mitchell, and Kylie Michaelson. The first chapter is the story of ho
Tiff
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This kept me turning the pages, distracting me while I was brushing my teeth or trying to get things done. Knowing this is the first in a series makes me happy. I want to read more about Riley and her friends.

Also, thanks to a chapter titled "Your Stalwart Standing Fast", I now have the song Standing from the Buffy musical in my head.
Lisa Houston
Very good book. A must read for you all. You could feel the mepathy for poor Riley and 'her sisters'. Trying to fit back into 'normal' life after escaping from the Dollhouse. The writer did a great job of writing this book. The characters all fitted in great. Dont want to give to much away other than you really need to read this book to see for yourself how good it it
Lauren
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book brought out so many emotions in me. I was happy for Riley and her ‘’sisters’’ when they escaped. I felt sorry for Riley when she couldn’t find her place in the outside world, her feelings of depression and the flashbacks of what she and the girls went through. I know before I even type this that it is going to sound mean but: Riley’s parents really frustrated me. I understood that they were scared for their daughters well being but I wanted them to give her room to breathe and to treat ...more
Alyce Hunt
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
'The room was pitch black as I lay in bed, and my heart pounded against my ribs as I waited. It was my turn tonight. Any second now, I would see a shadow of feet under my door. The hinges would squeak. The door would open wide. He could get into my bed.'

Seven years ago, Riley, Layla, Adalyn and Kylie were kidnapped by a man who forced them to call him Master and kept them captive in his Dollhouse. Until the night the girls decide it's time to end it all: either their Master dies, or they'll set
Stacey at The Bookish Loner
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Originally Posted At
www.thebookishloner.com

*This book was provided to me through Netgalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

My Thoughts

The Dollhouse is a thought provoking story about four girls who escape from captivity after 7 years of being held prisoner.  Although we learn quite a lot about all four girls, The Dollhouse is really centered around Riley and her road to recovery.

It was inspiring to see how Riley went through different phases as she came to terms with her new f
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**** 5 Stars ****

"I was a paper doll that wanted to be a real girl, but I didn’t know how."

"Doll. I looked like a doll because I was designed to look like a doll."

I'm going to try and do this book justice without any spoilers. Nicole Thorne did a fantastic job of conveying all the emotions rolling through her characters. This is a story that I feel needed to be told from the victims POV.

Riley had a normal loving childhood until she's kidnapped at age 12. Forced into a life sized dollhouse and ma
Veracious Reads
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
***Nicole Thorn, if you're reading this review, please know that I don't mean to dishearten you because writing a book is hard-work. But, here are my two cents.***

The Dollhouse by Nicole Thorn is a tale of four girls who escape one, stormy night after being held and abused for seven years by a maniac who only wanted them to keep them as dolls.

As intriguing as the blurb of this book is written, the novel clearly lacked a story. The novel is written from two perspectives. Riley (who murdered their
Sally Coles
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Riley, Layla, Adalyn and Kylie were all abducted as 12 year old girls and kept in an underground bunker by the man they called the Master, they were all pretty and blond and he called them his dolls. Seven years later Riley manages to attack and kill him so that they can all escape. The girls are then all returned to their families but they feel like sisters, for the last 7 years they have been family to each other and don't know how to carry on without that interaction.

Riley struggles when she
Susan Harper
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Dollhouse by Nicole Thorn
Seven years ago, Riley, Layla, Kylie and Adalyn are kidnapped by a man they only know as Master. He spent seven years grooming them, almost turning them into talking, walking, sleeping dolls, meant to love and almost worship him and only him.
When the opportunity arises, Riley kills the ‘master’ enabling them to escape their incarceration. Now the girls who had become as close as sister are re-united with their real families.
After so long kept away from the ‘real’ wor
Tara Lewis
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: stories-enjoyed
Disclosure: Thank you to Curiosity Quills Press for the advanced copy via Net Galley.

What a cracking good read! The first chapter grabs you with immediate action and the pace continued until the end. I loved the meshing of different elements- crime, romance, and coming of age issues. The relationships felt real and I felt the author really did get into the heart of the main character.

My only issue was the toad in the tree scene. If I'd been in a bunker and abused, I'd not have been so keen to
Meagan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-or-arc
Why does every romance writer thinks that the hero has to be a "bad boy" who immediately uses terms of endearment to express his interest. This chick went through HELL and all he can do is "baby this" and "baby that". Ugh it made me sick.

While the concept was strong the characters weren't. I wanted this to be more like the movie Room, which moved me on so many levels, than another poorly written new adult romance.

This author had a gem of an idea and went for the easy sell.

*This netgalley was pr
Danielle
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to review this title.

Thorn's Dollhouse is a solid 3/3.5 star title. Although I enjoyed the book, I felt it was a tad bit long- it took me longer than normal to read. The Dollhouse is about four young women held captive underground for seven years until one stormy night they make their escape. Riley Cain is the group's hero. Dollhouse follows her and here three other "sisters" through the aftermath of their captivity and their difficulty
Cassie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
*ARC REVIEW FROM ABIBLIOPHOBIA ANONYMOUS BOOK REVIEW*

"I was just a broken doll."- Riley

Seven year's of captivity and being his doll. Riley is now free, along with her 'sisters' but how can you return to the life you were snatched from? Riley's character is one that you want to coddle and protect, but also want to kick out of the tree. I have a love hate for her, and I hate I feel that way, but sometimes that happens. All Riley wants is to feel alive, any way possible.

Riley's mother, I tried to
Nicole
I really wanted to like this, but it just didn't work for me from the start. There was a real disconnect with the characters, even Riley whose perspective it is told from. And I suppose maybe that was intentional because of what she'd been through, but it just ... it didn't work. She was taken when she was 12, and yet she acts absolutely infantile one minute, and then over the top the next. Again, to show the damage of what she's been through? I don't know.

Wilson ... I wanted to like him for al
Olivia Farr
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
"The Dollhouse" begins with Riley fighting her captor and escaping with her sisters, Layla, Adalyn and Kylie. She must fight for her freedom. Once they are out and reunited with their families, the girls must adjust to life outside the bunker where they were kept as Barbie dolls, their bodies, clothes and everything perfectly arranged exactly how their kidnapper preferred. The story focuses on Riley but we see peeks into the other girls' lives and recovery.

I was captivated from the start, as the
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall, I really liked this book. Riley is a great protagonist with a lot of inner strength who still remains fragile enough to be believable as a kidnapping victim. I think her struggle and that of her sisters to rejoin the world outside the dollhouse is beautifully rendered and succeeds in portraying them as more than the victims everyone else sees them as.

What I did not like was the strong emphasis on the romantic relationship between Riley and Wilson. It was too much back and forth on his p
Tracy Hall
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

With an over-active imagination I had trouble sleeping after reading some of the horrors these girls went through. But, once you got past the facts of the dollhouse and got into recovery the story really pulls you along. I did hate Riley's parents but sometime even parents get it wrong.
Curiosity Quills
Apr 21, 2017
Monika MacFarlane
Nov 09, 2016
Sarah Hall
Sep 19, 2016
Nicole "Cappie" Thorn was born in California but, after a stint in Kansas, moved to a suburb of Phoenix. She spends a lot of her free time knitting and reading from her massive book collection. Her eclectic tastes, like Disneyland, Buffy and all things London, carry into her writing. She started writing in her early twenties and finds it wonderfully addictive.
More about Nicole Thorn...

Paperdolls (2 books)
  • The Dreamhouse (Paperdolls #2)