Start by marking “I Liked My Life” as Want to Read:
I Liked My Life

I Liked My Life

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  7,795 Ratings  ·  1,471 Reviews
A story from debut author Abby Fabiaschi that is "as absorbing as it is illuminating, and as witty as it is heartbreaking."

Maddy is a devoted stay-at-home wife and mother, host of excellent parties, giver of thoughtful gifts, and bestower of a searingly perceptive piece of advice or two. She is the cornerstone of her family, a true matriarch...until she commits suicide, le
Published January 31st 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about I Liked My Life, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gmm
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren Singer Trakhman I wasn't angry! I loved the ending!

Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I more than just liked, "I Liked My Life", I LOVED it!!

From the very first sentence I was hooked!

Madeline (Maddy) tells us.....

"I found the perfect wife for my husband" and "Recruitment is the least I can do"

You see Maddy is not among the living anymore, but she's not exactly gone either. She is somewhere not here. Her life is just out of reach. At first she wonders if she's in purgatory.

"The Last World sits unceremoniously
Larry H
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars on this one.

There were times when I was a teenager and in my early 20s (back in the dark ages) that I suffered from depression, and I thought about what it would be like to attend my own funeral, to see who would attend and what people would say about me, whether they would be sorry or sad, or how they would react.

In a strange way, I was reminded of those thoughts when I was reading Abby Fabiaschi's beautifully moving debut novel, I Liked My Life .

From the outside, i
Christine
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Cindy B great review
I Liked My Life is an exceptionally good debut novel by Ms. Abby Fabiaschi. I absolutely loved it. Without a doubt it will make my top ten list of 2017 reads; if I had finished it a week earlier, I would have bounced a book off my 2016 list to make room for it.

This is a superb character study of two people, Brady and Eve, especially Eve. The story has great depth and is very moving, bringing me to tears (good tears) at the end. Madeleine (Maddy), wife of Brady and mother of 17-year-old Eve, has
Julie
I liked My Life by Abby Fabiaschi is a 2017 St. Martin's Press publication.

This is a debut novel, believe it or not, but the writing is amazingly candid, vivid and beautiful. I can’t seem to find all the right words or ways to express how special this novel is. I absolutely loved it! All I can say is that I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

5 stars

This review is the copyrighted property of Night Owl Reviews. To read the entire review, click on this link:

Debbie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.8, happily rounded up

She liked her life and I liked this book, even though one of the narrators is a ghost. Tell me there’s a ghost in a book, and usually I gallop away, naying all the way. That’s ridiculous, I say, all huffy and puffy, there are no ghosts so stop talking about them. Besides, I never did cozy up to friendly little Casper.

But the ghost in this book is different. Here, she just puts thoughts into people's heads in the hope that they’ll do good things that will make them happy. S
Carol
"Maddy is a ghost with a purpose." After her suicide, Maddy decides she must find a better suited wife and mother for the husband and teenage daughter she left behind. With her witty ghostly voice and loving presence around them, Maddy instills thoughts into their minds to help guide them through this difficult time hoping to bring father and daughter closer together and realize the importance of family and forgiveness as they struggle to understand WHY?

In I LIKED MY LIFE, (great title) Abby Fab

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I finally got a chance to read this book. I have been wanting to read it for some time looking at my friends reviews. Everyone who raved about it was right. It was a thoroughly enjoyable novel that makes you think about life and your impact on others. It is hard to believe this extraordinary, beautiful book is a debut novel! Abby Fabiaschi writes with literary prose, smart dialogue, and an intuitive perception of life. I was totally immersed from the first page!!

As the book starts, Maddy has c
Diane S ☔
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Brady and Eve, father and teenage daughter struggle to find a connection, a way through their grief, after their mother, wife's suicide. Maddie though is watching from the beyond, prodding and poking when necessary to help the little family she left behind.

This book surprised me, I am not a big reader of women's fiction and if not for the reviews of a few trusted friends, probably would have let this one pass me by. Another début novel, the writing is fantastic, and despite the seriousness o
Cheri
4.5 Stars

”When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Oh, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be”

Paul McCartney – Let It Be

4.5 Stars

Madeline, Maddy, should be gone by now, but she’s hovering, trying to find her replacement. Her husband will need someone, a new wife – but not just anyone, she wants to find the
Elyse
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It 'must' be a prerequisite to be "the cutest" of guys to be a fireman!!!! --- but that's a
small tidbit joke for those who read this book....( what follows before had me laughing in stitches) ...think grill -patio - father/daughter dinner time.

It felt good to laugh in this novel. It's a heartbreaking story!!!!
This is the first book I've read by Abby Fabiaschi --which makes sense - it's Abby's debut novel. 'Congrats to her!!! Terrific first novel.

I do have a few critical thoughts to share: (
Linda
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I have quietly stopped being me."

Death seems to seep into our inner sensibilities and it leaves a stain for which there is no effacing. It takes up residence and has a pulse of its own. It rings its staccato rhythm in beat after beat of such painfilled loss.

Brady Starling and his seventeen year old daughter, Eve, are caught up in the storm and aftermath of the suicide of Maddy, wife and mother. Broken by this reality, they search within themselves filled with questions for which there are no an
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
5 STARS! A PERFECT CHOICE FOR YOUR BOOKCLUB

This is an unusual story because of the way it is told. Our main narrator is dead and yes, she is a ghost. That fact right there is enough to make me say “NEXT…”, but hold the phone, sis, this is a book I’m so glad I read.

Maddy is our POV from beyond. She jumped off a 4 story building at the age of 45. She had one treasured child, a husband and lots of friends and family who loved her. She appeared to be confident and happy- that quiet strength some wo
Luffy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maddy was an exceptional housewife who cared a lot for her husband Brady and her daughter Eve. However, suddenly she commits suicide, to the grief of her sundered family. Or, not so sundered.
Her remaining family members can't begin to understand why she committed suicide.

Suicide is a bane on life. But when granted artistic license, it can become touching. In Last Writes, a book that I loved to bits, the person to commit suicide says to the main character : "Don't be sad dear. This is the way I w
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Maddy, a 45 year old woman, takes her life by jumping from the roof of the library, leaving no suicide note. Husband, Brady, and teenage daughter, Eve, are left to sift through the whys and the wherefores. They will learn much about themselves as they struggle to cope. One doesn't always have the luxury of knowing why something happens.

The grieving process is finely drawn here. The disbelief, the guilt, the anger. Brady is no good at reading
Norma * Traveling Sister
Traveling Sister Read Review by NORMA, LINDSAY and BRENDA!!

5 glowing stars for I LIKED MY LIFE as we all thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience of reading this wonderful novel - very impressive for a debut novel! It definitely lived up to all the ‘hype’!!!

Here is our very relatable and our “love of books” favourite quote: “Maddy was head down in a book later I learned that was the rule, not the exception -- if Maddy wasn't working she was reading!”

I LIKED MY LIFE by ABBY FABIASCHI is a touchin
Susanne Strong
An Absolutely Stellar Debut! This one is a MUST READ! 5 Stars.

Maddy is a seemingly happy; a stay at home mother of a teenage daughter whom she adores and a wife to a very successful man. She volunteers at the local library and appears to have it all. Yet one day, Maddy commits suicide and doesn’t leave a note, leaving her daughter Eve and her husband Brady to wonder why. She did however write in a diary, which both her husband and daughter read and which provides a window into Maddy’s soul.

Eve
Brenda - Traveling Sister
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great choice for a Traveling Sister read with Norma and Lindsay. I loved our conversation and having our new sister Linda join in on our conversation. Highly recommend for buddy reads and book clubs.

You can find our Traveling Sister review on Norma's reviews on our our sister blog
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A friend recently told me sometimes it's harder to describe the books you loved over the ones you didn't...It's going to to be hard to do this one justice, but I'll start by saying this is one of the best books I've read this year.

The chapters are divided into three different voices - Maddy (the mother who has passed away), Eve (Maddy's teenage daughter), and Brady (Maddy's husband). Reading Eve's perspective, I found it relatable and deeply personal. When I was fourteen, my best friend's mom w
Linda
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I Liked My Life," by Abby Fabiaschi, was a welcome surprise for a debut novel. The writing drew me in from the very first sentence, when Madeline/Maddy, the deceased, tells us: "I found the perfect wife for my husband."

Madeline tragically dies but does not completely leave her teenage daughter, Eve, and husband, Brady, behind to deal with all their heartaches and doubts. Madeline has been everything to everybody, especially Eve and Brady, and she is determined to guide them in the right direct
Meredith
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Apr 26, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
A buddy read with the wonderful Lin(da)! :-D
Let the tortoise/snail race begin ;)
Stacey
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 I liked My Life has a lot of glowing reviews, but I was reluctant to pick it up. Then I was browsing the library shelves and there it was staring me down, daring me to check it out.

Narrated by Madeline, the perfect wife, mother, and hostess, Brady her husband, and Eve their 17 year old daughter. From the beginning we know Madeline commits suicide. Obviously with a suicide comes a barrage of unanswerable questions then guilt and anger. How could someone who seemingly has the perfect happy lif
Victoria
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You don't always get to know what happened or why things happened a certain way, but it always, always, goes deeper than any one thing.

Don’t be fooled by this book’s cover, there is so much more depth to this story than what it portrays. At the outset, yes, it seems a bit fluffy, woman dies and is hovering over her family insinuating herself into their lives in sometimes humorous ways, but make no mistake, this book has a heart and soul and it will leave an indelible mark.

This is emotional stor
Suzanne Leopold
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maddy is a ghost looking for a replacement for herself. She committed suicide and left behind a seventeen year old daughter, Eve and husband, Brady. She is able to read the minds of those she is watching and her spirit can direct their actions. Her goal is to find someone to love and take care her family. The story is narrated by each character.

Brady and Eve are left sorting out their lives and their relationship with each other while grieving. No note was left behind and they have no answers t
Cindy Burnett
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
WOW! Abby Fabiaschi has written an amazing debut novel that once I started I could not put down. As I Liked My Life opens, Maddy has died, and her husband Brady and daughter Eve are left to pick up the pieces. Maddy is able to see them and subtly communicate with her loved ones and attempts to direct their lives. She searches for her replacement, finds someone she believes will work, and then tries to bring Rory into Brady and Eve’s orbit. Meanwhile, Brady and Eve are slowly trying to move from ...more
JanB
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This book drew me in from the start and the narrators of the audio version were excellent.
What I liked:
- the author is a human rights advocate who gives 20% of her profits to charities uplifting women and children around the world. This alone makes me a huge fan of the author.
- the story is an honest portrayal of grief and the guilt that often accompanies it – but the author tempers it with humor and heartwarming moments, which saves it from being a depressing read.
- I appreciated that Maddy, t
Cathrine ☯️
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This one surprised me with how engaging it was. The description alone would not have drawn me in but friend reviews did.
Frankly it sounded a bit preposterous but it worked. Madeleine, a lover of literature and other things, jumps to her death from the fourth floor of the local library. The story of what went so wrong and why she might have done so is told from three alternating perspectives (which works very well here), hers, her husband’s, and their daughter’s.
Maddy begins to haunt Brady &
Jill Croce-McGill
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction

“we’re given the gift of life with the consequence of death. I think it’d be a mistake to focus on the consequence instead of the gift.”

Heartbreaking, witty, and heartwarming!
I liked My Life by Abby Fabiaschi is a very powerful and emotional story with a long-lasting message that deals with life, death, and family. It's hard to believe that this is Abby Fabiaschi's debut novel - so bea
Erin Clemence
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Told in a similar fashion to “The Lovely Bones” (Alice Sebold), “I Liked My Life” is the story of Maddy, a woman who guides her husband and daughter from beyond the grave after taking her own life. Morbid subject matter, sure, but the novel itself is melancholic while still being hopeful, and delightful while still being sad. The author, Abby Fasbiaschi, manages to take a sad moment in one’s life, and turn it into a learning experience- an experience of love, loss, redemption and family heartbre ...more
Dana
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This is a book about life, death, love, grief, and forgiveness. It is both heartbreaking and heartwarming (as the book description blurb states). I laughed and I cried - I loved this story!

"Practice love, compassion and forgiveness. Anger is nothing but an anchor that keeps you from moving forward." One of my favorite quotes from the book.

Highly recommend.
Received book 1 21 Apr 11, 2017 08:47AM
Abby Fabiaschi is a human rights advocate and co-founder of Empower Her Network, a nonprofit that paves a path for survivors of human trafficking with a will for independence. In 2012 Abby resigned from her executive post in high tech to pursue a career in writing. I LIKED MY LIFE is her first novel. She and her family divide their time between West Hartford, Connecticut, and Park City, Utah. Lear ...more

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
“Practice love, compassion and forgiveness. Anger is nothing but an anchor that keeps you from moving forward.” 30 likes
“You don't always get to know what happened, or why things happened a certain way, but it always, always, goes deeper than any one thing.” 11 likes