Start by marking “A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-Blooded Murder” as Want to Read:
A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-Blooded Murder

A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-Blooded Murder

AN OLD WAY OF LIFE
Thirty-year-old Barbara Weaver was content to live as the Amish have for centuries without modern conveniences but her husband, Eli, wanted a life beyond horses and buggies. Soon he gave in to the temptation of technology, and found ways to go online and meet women. When Barbara was found dead, shot in the chest at close range, all eyes were on Eli and h
Published April 4th 2017 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published July 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Killing in Amish Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing in Amish Country

Start your review of A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-Blooded Murder
Chantal
I don't want to say to much about this book. It was a lot of the times the information was repetitive. It also was missing some info at the end. People will never change. The writer can contact me if he wants to know what I mean. ...more
Jeanette
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has a lot of repeated interrogations but that actually drove home the sense of the motives, implications in emotion and dependency for this terrible crime. A murder of a mother with 6 children in the house under 9 years of age at the time of the crime.

The fact that the principals were all Amish or former Amish (Mennonite switched) makes the entire cognition, emotion, underpinnings for how this could have occurred in the way it occurred- doubly compelling for the way it was "told".

Because w
Linda Lipko
The Amish people are known as "plain." Their simple lifestyle bans the use of electricity, cell phones, automobiles, and all the things that non-Amish consider necessary. This is a fascinating book written by two very competent and excellent writers. When Barbara Weaver was found in her bed with a bullet in her chest, many knew immediately that it was her husband who killed her.

Time and time again, she let him back in her life after he blatantly cheated and broke not only his marriage vows, but
♥ Marlene♥
Too tired (Just got back from a few days Newcastle and I read this book while on the boat. Not his best.I did not mind the repetition but the story was quickly finished. enough proof. Two killers we hardly got to now and one victim whom I also do not feel like I know any better. There are too many questions left.
Maresi
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a compelling story in desperate need of better writers. yikes.
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Mr. Gregg Olsen and Rebecca Morris. It is interesting as I have read many fiction Amish books. I like many are fascinated by this lifestyle. Yet, even when I have read a few fiction Amish murder mystery stories, I was still shocked by the thought that murder happens in this community. I mean it does but the murder rate is very low.

As I read this story of Barbara and Eli Weaver, I felt conflicted by the people in their community. On one had I understood their reason for f
John Bastin
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About twenty-five years ago, Gregg Olsen wrote about misdeeds among the Amish, the tightly-knit, very religious, mostly closed community regarded as an example of the best practitioners of a Godly life. In Abandoned Prayers, he followed the acts of Eli Stutzman, an Amish man who "jumped the fence" (left the Amish) with tragic results.

Unfortunately, now he has another story to tell, about the murder of Barbara Weaver, a pretty, blond, 30-year-old Amish wife who was very happy in her life followin
Ms BookAholic
I was very excited to read this true crime book. Two of the subjects that interest me, true crime and Amish.
I thought the overall foundation was good. But the story was just okay for me. The Amish husband, Eli, was truly an evil man. Right from the beginning to the end it was the same that the Amish husband, Eli Weaver, was very unhappy with his life. A lot of the information was repetitive. So throughout the story it became very slow and tedious. There wasn't much information about his family
Tara
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I like books that pull you in from the start. While the story of Eli Weaver enlisting his married lover's help to kill his wife, and the mother of his five children was interesting enough, the book moved at a slow pace. Eli was not very happy at being Amish or married yet, he wasn't willing to give either of them up at least not in the conventional way. ...more
Connie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a true crime story of a murder in Amish country of Ohio. It read like a paper written by an unmotivated high school student who was working on his paper that’s due tomorrow. The story is full of facts and quotes that are just there. There is no coherent flow to the book at all. The authors should be ashamed.
Barbara Nutting
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Amish Stud”, I’d call that an oxymoron! What a creep Eli Weaver is, once he left for the English way of life they should not have let him back in their Amish Community. One does not have to agree with their restricted way of life, but certainly it deserves respect. Eli just never got the message.

The book gets a bit repetitious, but then books that entail a trial often do. The authors presented the case fair and square, I guess we’ll never know what really happened. True crime beats fiction!
Shae Bright
I found this book to be very unsettling.

I picked it up on account of another book chat I was recently at where we were doing some wondering about how law is enforced within the Amish community.

If you can't trust your husband, much less your AMISH husband - then who can you trust?

I wish this womanizing, adulterous, uncaring husband would have stayed gone on one of his galavants and left his wife and kids to try to be happy on their own.

So many people were involved in conversations with this narci
SouthWestZippy
This is a very upsetting and unsettling murder case. Barbara Weaver was murdered on June 2, 2009. Her Husband Eli is the prime suspect as well as one of his Girlfriends. The Authors did a wonderful job of not going overboard with nasty details but give a clear picture of the crime scene. Eli is clearly a man who wanted it all, the life style he grew up in and the life style he discovered via internet and having a cell phone. The Amish are a fascinating subject and this book does touch on the det ...more
Koren
This was a fascinating look at the Amish lifestyle and one black sheep in the flock. I liked how the author put quotes from the murdered woman's diary at the beginning of each chapter. It gave us a better feel for who she was. I was sad that there were no pictures of her. Her religion forbade taking pictures so none exist. However, I did feel that half way through the book it got to be repetitive and there was quite a bit of word for word testimony at the trial, which was a yawn-er for me. So I ...more
ANGEL
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was left completely disappointed upon finishing the final pages. Most of this book was repetitive. Poorly written. Barbara Weaver deserved better than everything she endured and the poor children were left without both parents because of the selfishness their disgrace of a father displayed.
Jamie Jones Hullinger
Fascinating case but I ultimately became bored by the end.
Judy Frey
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gregg Olsen and Rebecca Morris again together, always worth the read. A sad, interesting tale about Amish life, which certainly does not appear to be as chaste and pure as portrayed in movies. But Barbara Weaver was a truly good person who didn’t deserve the awful things that happened to her. Her husband Eli was shallow, selfish, self- centered, and concerned with noones needs but his. A wife, five children, multiple girlfriends, close friends: many had been asked to help him kill his wife becau ...more
Nicki Hinkle
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was almost breathless in pace! I love books that move quickly! This was a dramatic recounting of a murder story. There was no extra fluff and no slow moving pieces. The book was arranged wonderfully in it's arc from start to finish of the story and allowing time for details to emerge. Can't wait to read more of Gregg's work! ...more
Sierra W.
I was interested in the subject matter, but it wasn’t what I was expecting. I wanted more about what led up to the murder.
Wanda Keith
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad story of a young wife and mother who was not only betrayed by her husband but then brutally murdered. When I read these stories I am always amazed at how the murderer believes they can get away with what they have done when they leave so much evidence behind.
Lesa
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you look for when you read true crime? I seldom read it because I read some that went into too much graphic detail as to the crime itself. If I read true crime, I guess I want it to be like Law & Order, the investigation followed by the trial. Authors Gregg Olsen and Rebecca Morris do not go into graphic detail in A Killing in Amish Country. In fact, the book is almost a treatise on the Amish lifestyle, or at least on the sect called the Andy Weaver Amish. One man couldn't stand the rule ...more
marcus miller
Olsen examines the murder of Barbara Weaver, a young Amish mother from the Holmes/Wayne County area of Ohio. Since the Amish community chose to not talk with Olsen, much of the book relies on public records from the trial and some of the non-Amish persons involved in the case. Olsen portrays the two suspects in the case, Eli, Barbara's husband and Eli's older girlfriend and their possible motives for killing Barbara. Since both Eli and his girlfriend Barb Raber deny killing Barbara, Olsen tells ...more
Criminal Element
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I recently spent Memorial Day weekend visiting family in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania—one of the largest enclaves of the Amish population in America. It’s a charming and bucolic place, filled with rolling farmland, cattle, picturesque farmhouses and barns, and laundry lines filled with the traditional black attire of the Amish swaying in the breeze. It’s not out of place to see black horse-drawn buggies share space in traffic with soccer-mom SUVs and farm trucks.

The largest population of Amish
Nash
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregg Olsen and Rebecca Morris have done it again. An amazing and knowledgeable account of a heartbreaking murder.

As someone who knows very little about the way the Amish community runs, this book broke down the confines of the Amish life and marriages. The story of this senseless murder was easily devoured, leaving me to constantly want more. I felt so much emotion while reading this, which is exactly what I want from a book.
Iris
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book on many levels. The crime.. a young amish mother is shot and killed in her home. while her children are sleeping. The narrative describes the investigation and many of the people in the community. The murder took place in 2009 and though not unknown in the Amish is very rare.
Donna
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very chilling story of the murder of an Amish woman married to a man who was very uncomfortable in the Amish faith, being married and just a man who did not know what to do with himself. He is a selfish and confused guy. No, not sympathetic.

Who did the murder? Who helped with the murder? What was the motivation?

Very well written and fast moving.
Myra Upton
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A killing in Amish country

Wow Gregg this book was amazing. This is book 17 in the number if your books I've read since pandemic lockdown and my favorite by far. I have been to Millersburg Ohio and Berlin last year staying at the most pleasant Millersburg Inn downtown. How exciting to read a book with places I have actually been. This is a great read. Thank you 😊
Sandyb
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Selfishness at its finest

The book seems to be well researched and has a lot of background on the characters. I am not certain who actually did the killing but the facts are there.and I can decide I would recommend this book to anyone who likes true crime books. I look forward to reading more from Gregg Olsen .
Mariann
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like true crime books and I am fascinated by the Amish, so this book was a win win for me. It was easy to read without a lot of extra trial information. I found the inside information on the different Amish sects very interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Obsessed with Tru...: This topic has been closed to new comments. A Killing in Amish Country 2 10 Jul 27, 2016 08:54AM

• The Stranger She Loved: A Mormon Doctor, His Beautiful Wife, and an Almost Perfect Murder
  • Picture Perfect: The Jodi Arias Story
  • The Perfect Father: The True Story of Chris Watts, His All-American Family, and a Shocking Murder
  • The Want-Ad Killer
  • The Pact (Kate Burkholder #11.5)
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • The Prince of Paradise: The True Story of a Hotel Heir, His Seductive Wife, and a Ruthless Murder
  • Deadly Mistress: A True Story of Marriage, Betrayal and Murder (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
  • Bitter Remains: A Custody Battle, A Gruesome Crime, and the Mother Who Paid the Ultimate Price
  • Blood Games: A True Account of Family Murder
  • Crazy for You: A Passionate Affair, a Lying Widow, and a Cold-Blooded Murder
  • Poisoned Blood: A True Story of Murder, Passion, and an Astonishing Hoax
  • One Deadly Night : A State Trooper, Triple Homicide, and a Search for Justice
  • Let This Be Our Secret
  • Cold-Blooded: A True Story of Love, Lies, Greed, and Murder
  • Secrets of a Marine's Wife: A True Story of Marriage, Obsession, and Murder
  • A Poisoned Passion
  • The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue
Throughout his career, Gregg Olsen has demonstrated an ability to create a detailed narrative that offers readers fascinating insights into the lives of people caught in extraordinary circumstances.

A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Olsen has written ten nonfiction books, ten novels, and contributed a short story to a collection edited by Lee Child.

The award-winning author has been a guest on