Start by marking “Egg” as Want to Read:
Egg

Egg

Egg is a graphic novel for preschoolers about four eggs, one big surprise, and an unlikely friendship.

One is egg blue, one is pink, one is yellow, and one is green. Three of the eggs hatch, revealing three baby birds who fly away. But the green egg does not hatch. Why not? When the three birds return to investigate, they’re in for a big surprise! What will happen next?
Published January 3rd 2017 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Egg, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nils
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mischenko
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
To see this and other picture book reviews, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Egg by Kevin Henkes is an adorable book for preschool age children about four hatching eggs.

It reads like a graphic novel without much in the way of sentences. It's basically a lot of single words and children love the illustrations!

The story is so cute and the ending is perfect.

4****
Carmen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
There's not even any real sentences in this book, it is for babies.

The basic plot is that there are four eggs of different colors. Three of them hatch, but the green egg remains unchanged.

The birds peck open the egg (which I think is a bad idea - what if the animal inside wasn't ready to come out?) to reveal it is an alligator egg. They fly away, afraid of the alligator, but the baby alligator is alone, sad, lonely, miserable, so the bird's come back and be its friends. They ride on the alligato
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very nice book that looks at eggs...and teaches you not to count them before they hatch!
Colby Sharp
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2017-nerdy
Kevin is brilliant. This book is gorgeous.
Melki
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book of few words about eggs, and the wonders, and, occasionally, the surprises they contain.

description

Adorable!

Lynn
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, masterful and absolutely perfect for the toddler-preschool set - and old librarians too. I was bewitched by this one.
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe a primer for learning about adoption. Maybe a companion to The Carrot Seed, and/or to other stories of unlikely friendships. Maybe a way to tell if your preschooler is ready for leveled readers. Maybe just brilliant.

Read Library Lady's review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Btw, to the reviewer concerned about the hatched birds trying to peck open the slow egg, yes, you're right, it's a bad idea, but look: they failed. Henkes' drawings are simple and effective (like Elephant &am
Laura Harrison
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner by the stellar Kevin Henkes. The story is adorable and the artwork is magnificent, happy and warm. Typical Henkes. Henkes describes Egg as a graphic novel. It is aimed at the youngest readers who will be enchanted by it. 5 bright and shiny stars!
Emma (Miss Print)
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pretty damn delightful. It really IS a graphic novel for preschoolers. I think this could really go far in a little kids story time.
Josiah
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
A sort-of companion to Waiting and A Parade of Elephants, Egg presents four eggs—a pink, a yellow, a blue, and a green one—and invites us to watch what happens. Three hatch and the colored chicks inside fly away, but not a crack appears on the green egg. How long do we have to wait to discover what it contains?

The pink, yellow, and blue birds return and examine the egg. They want it open now; who wants to wait for a late bloomer to take his or her time meeting the world? The shell cracks, the t
Emily Davenport
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This will go down as the first picture book C could "read" from beginning to end."
Elaine
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
BEST SURPRISE EVER
Edie
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just looking at the cover you get Kevin Henkes' wonderful sense of caring and compassion. The book opens with 4 eggs, waiting to hatch. Three do with sweet chicks out and about almost immediately say good-bye but wait, one egg remains. The chicks come back, find a surprise and new friends are made. Simple, soft pastel colors, pinks, yellows, blues, greens, simple language repeated 3 or 4 times a page, all add to the success of the story and the joy of the read. I love the page that describes wai ...more
Edward Sullivan
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eggceptionally delightful!
KC
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book about eggs and the surprise when they hatch!
laura (bookies & cookies)
Fun pastel colors, done in watercolors with brown ink. Three baby birds are born, but they'll be surprised by what hatches Good for early readers, only 4-10 total different words throughout the book with repetition.
The Library Lady
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It never fails to amaze me how clueless adults reading picture books can be. The reviews here amaze me.
No, this is NOT a graphic novel for preschoolers, even though it's described as such.
No, this is NOT a "book for babies," as some have said here.
What this is instead is a great example of the genius that is Kevin Henkes. What looks simple is not.

This is a picture book for kids old enough to talk about the pictures in a thoughtful way. You can't really read this to a baby or toddler, there's no
Jessica
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
Kevin Henkes is a treasure. His books are so gentle and sweet, without being cloying. This one is utterly charming, with a fun surprise. There are few words, and clear pictures, so that a child can "tell" you the story without needing to be able to read.
Gratia
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: under 8 year olds

The paintings/illustrations are exquisite; Henkes uses lovely spring colors and watercolor paint with a delightful woody, as in trees, brown ink trim. I like especially the notion of referencing gestation periods, ie a bird is 12-14 days, and alligator (you can tell by the curved snout, unlike the pointy one of a crocodile) hatches in 65 days. I like this because as a child, around 8, I was very curious about when babies, cats, and the birds in nests in our trees would be born. This book is rema
Jason
Sweet and surprising. I love how it trickles into the surreal at the end. Henkes still gots it!
Daphne
I love Kevin Henkes, and this book reminds me why. Just like in A Good Day, Henkes tells an interesting, suspenseful story with very few words and strong young-child appeal.
Tasha
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Henkes returns with another winner of a picture book. This time he uses a graphic novel format ideal for preschool picture book fans. The book is utter simplicity, using repetition to show each of the four eggs: one pink, one yellow, one blue and one green. At first they are whole, then three begin to crack. Soon three chicks have emerged! Still, the green egg stays whole and quiet. There is lots of waiting and the three chicks return to help the final egg start cracking open. Then they are the ...more
Margie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When wandering in the wild whenever you find a nest filled with eggs or an egg with no nest or parents in the area, unless you have prior knowledge of its coloring, you have no idea what this egg represents. There is a tiny life inside; growing and waiting to burst forth into the world. It's the not-knowing which gives an egg its magic. It offers us the opportunity to wonder and discover.

Unless eggs happen to be on an animal's diet, if found they might approach them with the same curiosity as w
Nikki Glassley
I. Love. Kevin. Henkes. This book is adorable- all of his books are- and it's aggressively clever. It would be a very fun read-aloud for preschoolers and toddlers and it would be a great book for a very early reader. It has a lot of simple sight words ("egg," "peck," "sad") and the text is large and the kerning is wide, making it easy for kids/adults to point out individual letters. Henkes is always great but "Egg" has even more potential to be a great storytime read.

Edit: I’ve read this in stor
Stevie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My three year old son absolutely loves this book. I read it to him once over and then he proceeded to "read" it to me. The repetitiveness of this story gave him the confidence to know what was coming next and recognize similar words. He loves the "surprise" and we have read this book for bedtime two nights in a row so far.

Highly recommend for small children and also children starting to learn their letters and possibly sight words.
Kelly
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun and expressive illustrations; great vocabulary.
Linda
Think spring, and every warm day isn't that what many of us are thinking? Kevin Henkes takes four pastel eggs, shakes them up a little with a few words, like "peck" and "crack", and then there are three delightful little chicks, but that fourth one, "oh-oh"! Young and old will want to turn the pages quickly to discover just what will happen next!
MaryLibrarianOH
Just received an advance copy and have fallen in love. I won't spoil the story but I will say this is an exquisite picture book and is also perfect for beginning readers to help tell since there is lots of word repetition.
Becky
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!!! Such a super cute story and your child will love it too.
Madison
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute almost wordless book about being friends with those different from you.
  • A Perfect Day
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Owl Sees Owl
  • Hello Hello
  • Smick!
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Bear and Hare Go Fishing
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • This Is the Nest That Robin Built
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye
  • Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)
  • Big Cat, Little Cat
  • Hooray for Today!
  • Plant the Tiny Seed
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • Stick!
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • Nanette's Baguette
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.