Start by marking “Nujeen: One Girl's Incredible Journey from War-torn Syria in a Wheelchair” as Want to Read:
Nujeen: One Girl's Incredible Journey from War-torn Syria in a Wheelchair

Nujeen: One Girl's Incredible Journey from War-torn Syria in a Wheelchair

Prize-winning journalist and the co-author of smash New York Times bestseller I Am Malala, Christina Lamb, now tells the inspiring true story of another remarkable young hero: Nujeen Mustafa, a teenager born with cerebral palsy, whose harrowing journey from war-ravaged Syria to Germany in a wheelchair is a breathtaking tale of fortitude, grit, and hope that lends a face to ...more
Published October 11th 2016 by Harper Wave (first published October 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Nujeen, please sign up.
Tasha Yes, absolutely. I plan on having some of my 9th grade students read it.…moreYes, absolutely. I plan on having some of my 9th grade students read it. (less)

Start your review of Nujeen: One Girl's Incredible Journey from War-torn Syria in a Wheelchair
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I love how Nujeen not only told of her month long journey towards freedom, but she also addresses the entire migrant/refugee crisis and the racism, discrimination and fear towards them and how what we're told in the media isn't always true. Nujeen wants all refugees to be seen as PEOPLE, not just a number. She also addresses the fact that a lot of refugees didn't want to leave their country and hope to one day return there. She says that yes, looking after migrants costs money, but these people ...more
Jean
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This memoir puts a different face on the Syrian refugee crisis. Nujeen was born with cerebral palsy and has spent her life in a wheelchair. She is a sixteen-year-old Kurdish girl and has very little formal education. She taught herself English by watching U.S. soap operas on television. In 2014 her City, Koban, was the center of fighting between ISIS and the U.S. backed Kurdish forces. They escaped to Aleppo where they lived a few years and then fled to Turkey.

Her sister Nisreen helped her and
Tasha
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such an incredible story. The refugee crisis is so relevant, especially here in Germany, and it was eye-opening to hear Nujeen's story of how she had to flee her country Syria in a wheelchair (!!) and how she settled here in Germany. While being a fangirl of Days of Our Lives, hahah.
Ren
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-east, memoir
I fell in love with Nujeen Mustafa, like many did, when Last Week Tonight host John Oliver used BBC interview clips of the teenage Syrian refugee at a way station on the Serbian-Hungarian border as she traveled to Germany with her sister. She was so sweet and optimistic despite her unimaginably difficult journey and experiences in the war-torn homeland she’d fled. And she was so unabashedly in love with Days of Our Lives, it was impossible not to be charmed by her. And at the same time, ...more
Irene
I think I was expecting more of a memoir than history not that I dislike history. It just wasn't what I expected. I'd like to finish it though.

I went back and finished this one and decided it is a 2.5 maybe even a solid 3 star. I really like Nujeen but truthfully it seems as though some of this may not be 100% true.

Maybe I'm wrong. Did anyone else get that feeling though?

Almost put it under "'written by the C.I.A." but decided that would be going a bit too far.

Let me know what others thought of
Patti
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to put this book into the hands of every politician on the planet. Nujeen is the face and spirit of Syrians forced out of their homes. The abuse and obstacles she and her sister faced as they met barrier after barrier in their search for peace and rest.

Let us show that we can learn from our mistakes and that we can take pride in doing the right thing, which is seeing refugees as people with the right to live anywhere they want.
Jessica Gillies
How do you rate someone's life story? This was a very interesting story of one person's escape from the war in Syria into Germany. This situation is something I wish my country (New Zealand) would do more about and make more of an effort to understand- myself included, so this was an important read in my opinion too.
Bev Walkling
This book was co-written by the same person who co-wrote Malala's book. It is an easy enough read to be suited to young adults but an interesting enough book to be read by adults as well. It tells the story of teenage Nujeen, a Kurdish girl from Syria who also happens to have a form of cerebral palsy. The book starts as she waits to board a boat to Lesbos in Greece but then goes back to her early days as the youngest child in a large family, spoiled by all because of her disability. Her family ...more
Jody
Slightly ranty review. I think I need to stop reading memoirs.

Nujeen's book certainly puts a face on the Syrian refugee crisis, but ... ugh, I feel like a total arse for saying this ... I didn't find it a particularly likeable one. I think I expected another Malala, who after seeing her on TV had me absolutely mesmerised by her eloquence and maturity, but unfortunately I didn't find this in Nujeen. Let's not mince around: her situation is absolutely horrific, and what she and the millions of
Yash Sharma
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nujeen : An extraordinary story of a Syria girl

To be a successful migrant you need to know the law. You need to be resourceful. You need a smartphone and to be on Facebook and Whatsapp. You need some money. Ideally you know a bit of English. And in my case you need a sister to push your wheelchair.

– Nujeen

An inspirational story of an extraordinary Syrian teenager. Read this book and feel the pain of all those people who had left their countries either because of the war or natural calamities,
Emma
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Honestly, I never would have chosen this book to read outside of school, but I'm so glad that I did. It opened my eyes to the real, personal, horrific trials that refugees face. Nujeen displayed so much kindness, good humor, and optimism throughout her journey. I also love that this book is interactive: I looked up a lot of the real places and videos that Nujeen mentions. She includes very discussive themes like living with a disability, knowing the importance of home, sibling relationships, and ...more
Heather
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Prize-winning journalist and the co-author of smash New York Times bestseller I Am Malala, Christina Lamb, now tells the inspiring true story of another remarkable young hero: Nujeen Mustafa, a teenager born with cerebral palsy, whose harrowing journey from war-ravaged Syria to Germany in a wheelchair is a breathtaking tale of fortitude, grit, and hope that lends a face to the greatest humanitarian issue of our time, the Syrian refugee crisis.
For millions around the globe, sixteen-year-old
María Alcaide
A must read
Lily
"I hate the word refugee more than any word in the English language. In German it is Fluchtling, which is just as harsh. What it really means is a second-class citizen with a number scrawled on your hand or printed on a wristband, who everyone wishes would somehow go away. The year 2015 was when I became a fact, a statistic, a number. Much as I like facts, we are not numbers, we are human beings and we all have stories. This is mine"

What an incredibly important and eye-opening story. Born with
Devyn
I received this book from Goodreads.
I remember hearing about Nujeen last year from the Television. I didn't think much of the crippled refuge girl from Syria back then. Now, I'm holding her book in my hands and it changes everything.
Can you imagine? Can any anyone who has been nothing but safe all their life really imagine what it is like to live in a war-zone? To have terrorists running around freely, and your own government bombing you with no intervention from other countries? To absolutely
pi
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Nujeen" is a memoir of a young girl in a wheelchair who scapes from the war in Syria, and starts a difficult journey in order to get a new life in Germany. The book mostly focuses on the period between 2014 and 2016, since our protagonist is forced to leave her home until she is set in Germany.

This is a thought-provoking novel that talks about what it's like to live in a war-torn area, what it means being a refugee seeking for asylum, and on top of all how it feels having a disability.

It's true
Shahna
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I'm not going to go into great detail about this book to save arguments. I believe that everyone deserves freedom and a place to call home. No one should have to stuffer in any way to have basic human needs met. If taxes have to be higher so be it.

My only issue is that I wish the writing style was more mature. For two adult women it is written very child-like. Have faith in your audience, we will understand what is written. It doesn't have to be dumbed down.

It's an interesting and easy read.
Print Teach
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably the most frustrating book I've read for a long time. It's nicely written, with a cheeky innocence that shines through and made me smile. But Nujeen clearly has so much more to tell than is written here, and I want to hear it. I want to know about the Syrian war, why and how they left, what happened at the funeral, what happened in the boat and on Lesbos... I want to hear Nujeen's story in full, and this book is only a prologue.

** Free copy received through GoodReads giveaways **
Janine Darragh
I learned so much about the history of what is going on in Syria through reading this memoir written by Nujeen Mustafa, a Syrian refugee with cerebral palsy. Nujeen's story is engaging, thought-provoking, informative, and inspiring. I believe young adults need books like this one-- true stories written by teens-- as examples of the potential they, too, have within themselves to survive the unmentionable and pursue their dreams.
Patrick
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you think you know the life of Syrian refugees, you best think again. Right-wing republicans prepare to lose some followers because the story of Nujeen Mustafa with moments that can be anything from spirit lifting to heart-wrenching is the REAL story of middle eastern refugees; war, desperation, horror, and escape.
laura richards
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic eye opener!

Nujeen is funny and its amazing how she stayed so positive through out all the dreadful stuff she went through! This book has opened my heart more towards refugees and I hope it opens many more hearts across the world. Thank you for telling your story Nujeen. X
Nadine
A wonderful story told with honesty and humour. Must read for young people to understand we have more in common with refugees than we’re prepared to admit.
Diego Ceci
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It perfectly says what Nujeen had to got through while escaping from war in Syria. It's a book that everyone should read one day. It may help people who don't want refugees in their own country to understand what refugees had been through, they may change their mind.
HY
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book gives a face to the global emergency, as a mass migration of asylum seekers from western and south Asia, Africa and the Western Balkans continues to reach European shores.
Santhi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brief glimpse into the migrant trail through East Europe.
Newfound respect for what Germany had in place for the asylum-seekers.
Hanna
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Important and actually very relevant at the moment.
Rebecca
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
If music, her voice would be alegretto
with a young and happy falsetto.
She tells of war, fear and pain
so that readers may gain
wisdom from The Girl from Aleppo

Booknblues
I hadn't managed to read The Girl from Aleppo: Nujeen's Escape from War to Freedom or as it has since been renamed Nujeen: One Girl's Incredible Journey from War-torn Syria in a Wheelchair during the month I was doing a challenge on Syria, but I am glad that I found the time to read it.

Nujeen is the youngest child of a large Kudish family living in Syria. During her birth there were complications and Nujeen had problems learning to walk. Her family moved from a small Syrian village to Aleppo in
Roz
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
This book was clearly written with the intent of showing the human side of the refugee crisis. No complaints there at all. I mean, why else would one want to read about refugees other than to learn about what the experience is like (the news is there for everything else). Nujeen's story covers the human experience extremely well. Besides the fact that she is a wheelchair-bound refugee, which already adds massive emotive points in her camp, she gave snippets of other people's horror stories along ...more
Tiina
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Another hard one to rate. I have nothing but utmost respect for Nujeen. She seems delightfully geeky and a sweet spirit, and anyone who has made the terrible journey from their war-torn home has my sympathy. I feel for them and admire the way they have the courage to build a new life.

However, this book did not touch me as much as I was expecting. There were moments when Nujeen's voice was there, but many parts lacked details and feelings altogether, it was like reading a newspaper, not a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nonfiction Naviga...: War 1 1 Dec 15, 2017 01:46PM
War 1 1 Dec 15, 2017 01:45PM
War 1 1 Dec 15, 2017 01:39PM
Fleeing from War 1 1 Dec 06, 2017 08:35AM
Around the Year i...: Nujeen: One Girl's Incredible Journey from War-torn Syria in a Wheelchair, by Nujeen Mustafa 2 25 Aug 11, 2017 05:33AM

• Het meisje dat van IS won. Ontvoerd, verkocht, ontsnapt
  • The Shady Tree
  • Island
  • Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish
  • The Nobodies: A Novel
  • Hope in a Ballet Shoe: Orphaned by war, saved by ballet: an extraordinary true story
  • Apple and Knife
  • How We Became Wicked
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Tolkien: A Biography
  • The Blink of an Eye: What Dying Taught Me About Living
  • Vor tids tid
  • Selbstbeherrschung umständehalber abzugeben
“You think you let me marry one man?’ she said. ‘Every night I have ten men.” 0 likes
“Your homeland is not a hotel you can check out of if the service is bad’.” 0 likes