Start by marking “The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)

The Trouble with Dukes

(Windham Brides #1)

THEY CALL HIM THE DUKE OF MURDER...

The gossips whisper that the new Duke of Murdoch is a brute, a murderer, and even worse—a Scot. They say he should never be trusted alone with a woman. But Megan Windham sees in Hamish something different, someone different.

No one was fiercer at war than Hamish MacHugh, though now the soldier faces a whole new battlefield: a London Season
Published December 20th 2016 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Dukes, please sign up.
Danielle There's some sex in this novel, but I don't think it's all that graphic. It's known that characters have sex, but it isn't explicitly described.…moreThere's some sex in this novel, but I don't think it's all that graphic. It's known that characters have sex, but it isn't explicitly described.(less)

Start your review of The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
Stacey is Sassy
description

I had no trouble with this kilt wearing Duke.

I LOVED The Trouble with Dukes. This type of book is why I love reading and became devoted to historical romance. Historical romance was my first love. I have been known to hook up with contemporary, paranormal/fantasy and suspense but you can’t beat your first love. Historical romance is where my heart lays. The strong but troubled aristocrat, the feisty and quirky heroine and a love story that melts your heart and leaves you with a giddy smile.

The T
Anne
A soldier from Scotland becomes a reluctant member of the aristocracy when he inherits a dukedom. But there are some perks! He meets the Windham family and falls for a spunky (secretly) fallen woman that needs his help to get back some letters she's being blackmailed with by a scuzzy fortune hunter.

description

This one didn't knock my socks off, but it was still a fun little audiobook that helped pass the time. I liked everyone in the story and the narrator did a great job.

description

If you're looking for a kilt roma
Elizabeth
Grace Burrowes writes from the heart--with warmth, humor, and a generous dash of sensuality, her stories are unputdownable! If you're not reading Grace Burrowes you're missing the very best in today's Regency Romance! ...more
Mei
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Oh dear, I hope this years HR will get better.... at least those I read.... O_o

I was frustrated with this book. In the first half there's a lot of running around, a lot of people talking, scheming, nothing happened.

Or, better, I could discern that there's this guy, odious and unctuous, who wanted to force Megan to marry him. But it was not clear why she just didn't slap him or gave him a cut direct...

I understood, after years of reading HR, that Dukes and Duchesses had very much power and could
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
So, I have a theory. Burrowes does not write great novels when the setting is the London Season. It's like she's at a loss for how to bring her H/h together when they're just a standard couple courting in a standard way. Unless her heroine is the near neighbour/governess/housemaid/gal of all works of the hero and the action is set primarily around one stately home, in the country, with country pursuits, I think she's a bit at sea.

This novel was at sea.

The romance never felt well developed. Sudd
Luffy
Jan 03, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get comfortable with this book. Its vocabulary was challenging, so I couldn't get relaxed while reading it, I came across lots of words here that I understood only because I know some French.

In the end, the book moved so slowly that I wondered if this was a book about nothing. I've never read two good romance books consecutively. Something always prevents me from embracing the genre full fledgedly. Oh well, better luck next time.
♥Rachel♥
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
Men with impeccable manners and pretty words don’t impress Megan Windham. She’s found out the hard way that a snake can be under all those social niceties. That’s why Megan isn’t turned off by Hamish MacHugh’s lack of them. Instead, Megan finds herself drawn to the unrefined, but genuine man, but does it matter when another schemes and plots to take her freedom away?

Hamish has a fierce reputation, nick-named the “Duke of Murder” by gossipers, but he’s braving the London social season for his you
WhiskeyintheJar
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Megan Windham has a powerful family full of nobility but they might not be able to save her from an indiscretion in her youth.
Hamish MacHugh is a former colonel who is now a duke and just wishing he could be back in Scotland.
When they meet there is an instant connection but a sly villain and observing the "niceties" of the times are conspiring to keep
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Okay guys, I coincidentally picked this up in the midst of an Outlander obsession and let me just say: it was the perfect timing for me to read this book! Hallelujah and amen.

Initially, I was a little concerned about the writing style because I find that I need to be in a specific "mood" and headspace for writing that is done in a historical fashion. I don't know if that really makes sense, but for me, typically when the writing is meant to represent an older period of time, it takes me longer
Somia
3 SOLID & LIGHT STARS

Hamish MacHugh, the new Duke of Murdoch, is deemed a savage and a brute by British society/the Ton, his so-called exploits at Waterloo and the gossip of some jerks has led to him being deemed dangerous and somewhat uncouth. Hamish for his part has little tolerance for the Ton, and is eager to travel back home to Scotland, but his two younger sisters wish to have a London season, and expect their brother, as the Duke to accompany them to the necessary balls and assembles.

I r
Caz
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Burrowes’ The Trouble with Dukes sees her returning to the extended Windham family, who were the subject of her first published works. The Windham Brides series introduces the four nieces of the Duke and Duchess of Moreland while also reacquainting readers with the various other family members whose stories were told previously.

I suspect a reader’s level of enjoyment of this book may largely depend on their degree of familiarity with the various characters who inhabit “Burrowesworld” (
Juliana Philippa
"You love Hamish, don't you?" Colin asked, though he only dimly grasped what it might mean, for a woman this fierce to love his brother. Trouble for Hamish, but good, long overdue trouble.
This was my first Grace Burrowes book and unfortunately, I didn't love it. I will definitely be trying some of her other books though; her characters are interesting, the writing is good, and the Windham family, which is heavily featured here, is quite enjoyable (and hysterical)!

Summary. Hamish MacHugh (ear
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)
Link to full review below! 3.5 stars
Cute and sweet! See full review on The Book Disciple
Caz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Burrowes/Langton audiobooks to be an excellent comfort listen; not too demanding in terms of the story with narration by someone who really understands Ms. Burrowes' little quirks (and has a lovely voice, to boot!).

My review of the book is HERE - the audiobook is well-narrated and James Langton certainly gets to give his various UK accents a good workout, given the hero and his brother are Scottish, one character (St. Just) is Irish and the heroine and her sisters are Welsh. The latter ac
Debby*BabyDee
I like Ms. Burrowes, however I had a very hard time getting through this novel. It was way too slow with getting to anything interesting. I think it picked up halfway through the book and had too much of trying to teach, learn, going places and protocol for me.

It could have been a lot better with more intense attraction between the two may characters instead of the subtle undertone of it.

Overall I thought the writing was good and some of the characters were interesting.

3.0/5 Stars
Constantine
Rating: 3.0/5.0

I love historical books be it suspense, mystery or romantic. I am very fond with the settings and the atmosphere. Grace Burrowes has done a marvelous job here in creating all the historical settings and atmospheres in her book. When you read, it is like you truly live in that interesting era. Megan Windham is the heroine of the story who is suffering from a poor eye sight. She is being blackmailed by Sir Fletcher who tries his best to marry her for all the wrong reasons. Comes to
Heather andrews
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hamish is a very sweet man, “listen to me, Meggie. Firstly , when I make a vow, I keep it. Forsaking all others, means forsaking all others. Secondly, I suspect once we’re wed, the effort required to show up at meals with a few clothes on will tax the limit of my abilities. I’m marrying a passionate woman.” Thanks to his girl, Hamish can sometimes forget what he was saying, “I was saying…” Something, something important, and honorable, and… damn. “Don’t stop, Meggie. Not yet.” I enjoyed this boo
Sarah Marie
The Trouble with Dukes by Grace Burrowes

First in the Windham Brides series & Spin-off to the Windham series

“Wealth only looks like it gives a man power. In truth it makes him less free.”

The Duke of Murder is the talk of the town. He’s fierce, unruly, and a Scot. Everything that polite women in society turn their noses up at, but Megan Windham feels that there’s more to Hamish that unfitting title of the Duke of Murder. While Hamish battles with himself and his new feelings for an Engl

Pamela
The characterization and the writing are both very good. Megan and Hamish are both flawed, but relatable and the supporting cast is all there to do their part.

While I felt the book had some good moments, I didn't think the subplot was believable. Megan's family is (implied) way too powerful for the "snake in the grass", Sir Fletcher, to blackmail young Megan. Also, for me, I found it hard to believe that as close as the Windham family is, that Megan hadn't confided in any of them. There were way
Cathy
This was…well, I don't know what this was. I didn't hate it but I also didn't particularly like it. I'd never read a book by this author before, so I didn't know what to expect writing- and plot-wise. Neither of those was really my thing, though the book did have some elements that I enjoyed.

It was obviously part of a larger universe/a sequel series and I wish I'd read those books first, because all of Megan's cousins (who are now all happily married and had obviously gotten their HEAs in those
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I feel like I've been pretty lucky with all of the new-to-me historical romance authors I've tried of late. I think I saw someone mention the second book in this series on GR, and that's what made me put this one on hold at the library. I love Scots. I love scheming matchmakers. And I love a series where each book details how a spinster daughter finds the love of her life. Though this one actually felt like it was more the Scottish duke's story than the spinster's at times -- and that might have ...more
Wendy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw these Grace Burrowes books featured on my library's e-books page. Have never read this author's books before, but found out she's penned 100+ books. I guess this is a spin-off of another series, but I didn't know that coming in. It's an average M/F regency romance, in my humble opinion. The difference is that the 2 main characters do acknowledge their love for each other pretty early on, but there is a blackmail threat the female protagonist, Megan, has to deal with. She's basically being ...more
*The Angry Reader*
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, historicals
I loved the slow burn and the awkward characters and the easy writing and the fabulous fabulous Windham boys in all their marital bliss. I loved this book from start to freakin finish. Literally everything I could want. Low steam. High IQ. Slightly off-beat characters doing battle against a jerk-face bad guy. Perfection.
Courtney
I found this book on netgalley and received an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

I have not read any other books by Grace Bellows and initially picked this book because I thought it was the first in a new series – it is tagged on goodreads as being (Windham Brides #1). Little did I realize it is the offshoot of another series, The Windham series, and is more like the 12th book in the Windham world. Characters from earlier books factor heavily into this one, so I felt like I w
Dec 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @50% Some spoilers ahead.

Apparently this is not the first book of this series, its really the 9th. I was reading, wondering WTF was happening for most of the first half. I didnt connect with either Megan or Hamish, and I felt like Megan's character was flimsy. She would say something like, "I am not a fast woman" one moment, but then she was nuzzling up to Hamish, a man whom she has known for all of 10 minutes.

There is also Sir Fletcher, apparently Megan wrote him some love letters and now
eatbookseatworlds
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romance
The Trouble With Dukes follows what has proven to be Grace Burrowes' tried and true Windham formula: a hero with serious hero-ish baggage (in his case, PTSD/conscience issues from his fighting days) and a heroine with scandal hovering in the wings (in her case, a morally bankrupt suitor who is blackmailing her into marrying him). Hero determines to save heroine. Messiness ensues. What continues to astound and delight me about Burrowes is she manages to sell this formula every single time. By the ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
More Windhams! Oh there are a lot of them, but this time it's time for the cousins to find love.

Megan, well the different thing about her is that she wears glasses, and that does set her apart. But she has a suitor *coughs asshat*. But she is pushing him away, and we learn why *coughs he is an asshat*.

Hamish was a soldier, and one with a pretty rough reputation. Then he inherited a title, and he is still rough around the edges, and a Scot to boot.

They meet, they like each other. They talk they f
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I loved this story, both main characters, their matchmaking families. The story even has a proper bad guy. It isn’t about whether they want to be together. That is never an issue here. The bad guy is, though. He is a fortune hunter who can make Megan’s life hell. That is he could if there weren’t a persistent Scot by her side.
The resolution is a bit too much like a fairy tale, but who cares?

Apart from that and a couple of unrelated things, the story is an enjoyable beach read.
Keri
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Hamish MacHugh, but wish that we would have got to meet with St. Clare.
Miranda
The Trouble with Dukes was a sweet and charming historical romance! Even though I really liked the plot of this book, I definitely felt like the story was on the slower side. That made it hard to get into the book. However, as I started to learn more about the characters, I did get more invested in the story. I also was expecting this book to be a little steamier and more passionate, but it was still a very romantic read.

The main characters, Megan and Hamish, were very interesting characters.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 23, 2016 12:24PM

• Someone to Romance (Westcott #7)
  • Someone to Love (Westcott, #1)
  • Someone to Wed (Westcott #3)
  • The Escape (The Survivors' Club #3)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Someone to Hold (Westcott, #2)
  • The Most Dangerous Duke in London (Decadent Dukes Society, #1)
  • The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club, #2)
  • A Duke in Shining Armor (Difficult Dukes, #1)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • My Last Duchess (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #0.5)
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • Only Beloved (The Survivors' Club, #7)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more

Windham Brides (4 books)
  • Too Scot to Handle (Windham Brides, #2)
  • No Other Duke Will Do (Windham Brides, #3)
  • A Rogue of Her Own (Windham Brides, #4)