Start by marking “The New York Times Cook Book (Revised Edition)” as Want to Read:
The New York Times Cook Book (Revised Edition)

The New York Times Cook Book (Revised Edition)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  4,084 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Since it was first published in 1961, The New York Times Cook Book, a standard work for gourmet home cooks, has sold nearly three million copies in all editions and continues to sell strongly each year. All the nearly fifteen hundred recipes in the book have been reviewed, revised, and updated, and approximately 40 percent have been replaced.

Emphasizing the timeless nature
Published April 25th 1990 by William Morrow Cookbooks/William Morrow and Company (first published October 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The New York Times Cook Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Times Cook Book

Leona
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I've had this cookbook since this edition was published in the early 80's. It has remained a favorite"go-to" cookbook; a timeless staple in my kitchen that has stood the test of time. I learned how to cook and bake using this cookbook.

I can't speak to other editions, but this one is definitely a classic.
Susan Gardner
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In these pages Craig Claiborne taught me to cook and to love to cook. I bought the first edition when it was originally published around 1961 and I have used it ever since. The recipes are clear, well organized, beautifully thought out. The photo sequences to teach how to carve a turkey, make a muffin and similar basics. Yet the food is elegant, sophisticated, as fresh and interesting as ever.

I have an extensive collection of cookbooks, historic ones, books from many times and cultures but I wo
Anne
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Someone gave this to us as a wedding gift over 20 years ago. Could not live without it! Almost every recipe is quite simple, usually only taking 1 column. I am not too ambitious as a cook, so this suits me fine. Also, plenty of veg-friendly recipes, including an entire legume chapter.
Katherine
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
"To eat without thought or reflection is a profanity." (page 13)

Recipes in here I want to try:

Alsatian Meat Pie (page 112)
Pizza with Anchovies and Cheese (p. 116)
Chicken and Sausage with Olive and Anchovy Sauce (p. 268)
Fosenjohn [duck and meatballs in walnut sauce] (p. 304)
Coulibiac of Salmon (p. 340)
Preparing a Whole Artichoke for Stuffing (p. 469)
Croissants (p. 556)
Dacquoise (p. 633)

Dacquoise, "one of the finest and most sought-after desserts in fine restaurants," is meringue layers with butte
Rodrigo Duarte
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comida, gastronomía
Truly horrible photos, particularly the color photos.

The book itself is a very useful one. The contents make the book a jewel.
Keri Kresler
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have the 1961 version! Hilarious.
Teckla
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
An interesting read. I like reading recipes even if i don't try them out. This time I did thug. I cooked rice the easy way. It was a really simple recipe but i can't follow a recipe to save my life, especially one on rice. I always have to check it and you're not supposed too. Don't lift the lid! my cat liked this book too. Every time i opened it she would come over and lie down in the middle of it.
Patti McDermott
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I was weaned on Betty Crocker as a kid and never understood the lure of the Joy of Cooking, but this was my first go-to cookbook as an adult. I have tried many things and all have come out delicious. My favorite recipe was for the stuffed flank steak. I've never been disappointed with anything I've tried.
Geri Jeter
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned how to cook using this book and still refer to it often. The instructions are clear and in logical order. Also, the authors actually tested all the recipes so they work. Made my first souffle using this book and it came out great.
Girly
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was my first cookbook after I left home. It looks horrid, which I guess is a good sign that it has been used and abused to its fullest.

I think it even has the branded mark of a stove-top coil on the cover.
Terri
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, own
Not one of my favorites but it does have merit. It contains many classic recipes but it is a bit pretentious and over blown.

I wouldn't really recommend this book to a novice cook. Claiborne assumes that basic cooking skills are present.
Tim
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I confess that I bought this to read rather than use. It's one of the must haves for a cookbook collector.
Jessicafriedman
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A favorite, because if nothing else, the recipes are worth reading.
Peter Kliem
Feb 07, 2009 added it
1961 Edition
Lori
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
My favorite basic cookbook.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is not as good as the original cookbook--when they modernized it, they lost alot
Cws
Dec 18, 2008 added it
641.5 Cla
Ivonne
15?
Brian Mcdaniel
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Classic, but shifting culinary trends have not been kind...
Costacoralito
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing

This is the cookbook I go to first. It has a good selection of recipes that are fairly simple to prepare. I keep well supplied with the Mango Chutney by making a new batch every year.
Heather
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic as far as cookbooks go.. I just saw a new edition (pictured) last year. It's a must-have for every cook.
OssifrageRage
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Another staple cookbook, many classic and timeless recipes.
I am not as fond of the updated version as I am of the original. I would try to get it used for the original recipes.
Lance
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
This is one of the books I go to if I am looking for a new recipe or checking for an old recipe. Very Good.
Heidi
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
This was the book that I first followed when I started cooking. I've outgrown it, preferring recipes that are more creative, ethnic and low-cal. But it served me well for many years.
Rudolfo
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
All the recipes that me and a friend of mine made turned out very well. These are superb recipes, refined and tried. Highly recommended.
Erik
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cooks
I prefer the layout of the earlier edition of this book. The quick hollandaise is a great simple way of creating this sauce.
Mary
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Bistro Cooking
  • Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • The Breakfast Book
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian art of Eating
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
Craig Claiborne was a restaurant critic, food writer and former food editor of the New York Times. He was the author of numerous cookbooks and an autobiography. Over the course of his career, he made many contributions to gastronomy and food writing in the United States.

More about Craig Claiborne

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99