Start by marking “Hrôzostrašná história: Stuchnutý stredovek” as Want to Read:
Hrôzostrašná história: Stuchnutý stredovek

Hrôzostrašná história: Stuchnutý stredovek

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,116 ratings  ·  104 reviews
"The Measly Middle Ages" portrays life as it really was in the days when knights were bold and the peasants were revolting.
Paperback
Published 2009 (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hrôzostrašná história, please sign up.
Iris Yes, there are quite a few chapters concerned with the Nobility. But Henry VIII. is merely a footnote, since he is a Renaissance/early Modern figure.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Hrôzostrašná história: Stuchnutý stredovek
Alina
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who says history has to be boring and serious? Measly Middle Ages tells the history of the middle ages while completely entertaining the reader. The book itself is filled with lots of interesting information, surprising facts, and insider jokes. It's great fun!

Measly Middle Ages is part of a series of Horrible Histories which teaches history in a interesting, fun, and humorous way. All of these books have great titles like Rotten Romans, Awesome Egyptians, Groovy Greeks, and Vicious Vikings. A
Joanna
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars for being occasionally very funny, especially for illustrations. I used to love these books, but now I am a medievalist and I strongly disapprove of generalisations that this book uses. "Cruelty alongside saintliness. That pretty well sums up the measly Middle Ages." No, it does not. I know this is supposed to make history more interesting to a younger audience, but it also gives them an idea that that period of time was pure darkness and that all people were superstitious and stupid the ...more
Siobhan
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child history was one of my favourite school subjects thus making Horrible Histories the perfect books for me.

Nowadays children have the television series yet I belong to the older group that had the books. Personally, I believe any child who has an interest in history should give these books a go. They’re truly gripping and so many topics are covered.

Honestly, Horrible Histories are well worth a read.
Chloe
As always, no numbered rating from me. I enjoyed this one, and I felt like I learnt a lot!
Dora
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, clearly I got this book for Balint, but I ended up reading it too. I heard different opinions about this series and wanted to make sure it was something I am not going to regret putting in my son's hands.
I have to say, it was a very fun read. History facts were correct, plenty of cheeky English humor, all the horrible history stuff boys like and I loved how the author finished the book with his take on history. I will be checking out the other "Horrible" books (history, science) and heard t
Dane Cobain
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was always a big fan of the middle ages as a historical period, and so perhaps it’s no surprise that I enjoyed this. If anything, the thing that surprises me is that I didn’t get to it earlier. I would have adored this if I’d had it as a kid.

Still, even as an adult there’s some great stuff in here, although there was one line in it somewhere that dated it and which wouldn’t fly in 2018. I could let it slide though because it wasn’t exactly offensive, just kind of unnecessary. And actually, it
Glen
A fun history book describing the Middle Ages as pretty horrible (can you imagine the stench?) Along with some facts and background. A way to make history more fun.
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: A measly Middle-ager
More about the morbid and un-merry men of the middle ages, as part of the Horrible Histories collection, prepared by Terry Deary for Scholastic Books collection. So, it is full of glorious bits of information on salient subjects for the young reader's curious mind, I love the pictures the best! Always have!
LobsterQuadrille
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs with strong stomachs
I've always liked the subject of history, not matter how weird it can get, so I couldn't help but like this unromanticized and irreverent view of medieval Europe. Through words and pictures, The Measly Middle Ages details just how bizarre, gruesome, and dangerous life in ye olden days could be. The people of the Middle Ages had to deal with corruption, disease, filth, poverty, violence, inequality, etc., etc. Of course many of those problems are just as prevalent today as they were back then(as ...more
K.
This silly book has been kicking around our house for quite some time and I've never really looked at it. I picked it up while preparing to teach one of our "heroes" classes, hoping to find something amusing to get the kids to laugh.

Hard to star, 2 for discerning adults, probably 4 for kids! They loved it. I read them some "foul food facts" and some bathroom facts and they all had a good chuckle.

Silly little book that gives some insight into how bad some things were at that time, but I felt th
Leeanna
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Horrible Histories: The Measly Middle Ages, by Terry Deary

I first read this book when I was about 10 or 11, and it's held a fond place in my memories ever since.

Deary retells some of the history of the Middle Ages, with plenty of humor and excellent illustrations by Martin Brown. Normally, I skip graphics, but Brown's images add a lot to the text.

Aimed at kids, the Horrible Histories series, and especially "The Measly Middle Ages" is full of gory details and funny anecdotes. The historical con
Taylor Church
Another Horrible History to add to the collection. As always, these books are mildly educational and breezy reads. I especially enjoy reading about anecdotal tales of antiquated medicinal practices and absurd superstitions.
Sara
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots about black death and other gross stuff, but it IS Horrible History, and there was other things, too.
Aly is so frigging bored
This actually made me feel better, also depressed, but better :))
Katie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Overall, I would definitely recommend this book, as well as the rest of the Horrible Histories series. They are a really great educational resource for children learning about history, but also keep children entertained with their humorous and light-hearted tone. I greatly enjoyed reading this book (and others in this series) as a child and now, looking back, I can appreciate their merits in helping children to learn.

Firstly, the introduction to the book helps readers to understand that the his
Luke (TheGingerBookWorm)
What on earth happened in the measly Middle Ages? Well... lots of really rotten things, actually! In the Middle Ages, the world was full of wild women, mad monks, naughty knights and crazy kings and queens! So read on if you want to know... a genuine jester's joke. why chickens had their bottoms shaved. what ten year old treacle was used for Plus, you can find out all about miserable Medieval monks, the dreaded Black Death, and schools that really knew how to make the kids suffer!

The dark ages
Sofian
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S.S.
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up recently because I am interested in anything to do with the Middle Ages and i thought that this would be good research for my own books. I have read some Horrible Histories books before and while i know they are for children, I like them too. (I am no longer a kid.) They're so funny and I always learn more when I'm laughing at something or when I'm enjoyiing something. (and with these books, I'm doing both.) There were loads of facts that I didn't know and I liked the fact ...more
Grayson
The book measly middle ages is yes, about the middle age with knights and kings and other stuff. It gives you information but in a funny way not boring text book like. The pictures are great if you do not know how the person or the event that happens. The timeline helps you summarize it for a quick learning session. The book is easy to under stand what it is talking about.

The book series is the best book series ever it help me a lot with world history. I would recommend if you are struggling wit
Moez Lamti
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terry Deary keeps the same line of thought -lest we say repeats himself- he started some time earlier: history is made by bullies who repeat themselves. In the epilogue he writes: "But a clever Frenchman called Voltaire said, 'History never repeats itself... humans do.' The cruelty and stupidity and superstition of the Middle Ages should be a distant nightmare. Yet in the 20th century people can still find ways of making life miserable for others. Bullies with muscles, bullies with money or bull ...more
Soobie's scared
Well, I'd say this one was way less entertaining than the other books I've read. The first part, with all the kings who came and went, was extremely boring... Jeez, it may depend on me being Italian, too: I'm not that familiar with the English history of the Middle Ages. I know something but most names didn't ring a bell.

In the second half it slowly picks up the pace and it gets more interesting. Maybe it's more about the living conditions of the people and less about who kills whom.

I still have
Jane
I used to keep as many Horrible Histories as I could for free reading time in my jr. high classroom. The kids loved them and frequently forgot to return them after borrowing them. Those who took them on purpose often called me years later when they they were preparing to serve a mission for our church because they wanted to make amends for their thievery when they were in the seventh grade. I got several of those calls, and it was always one or several of these books.
Declan Waters
Packed full of facts and figures... not too much depth but enough to elicit interest and get the reader wanting to do further research... or google it!! These are fun little books and well worth a quick read although I can never remember the facts and figures in the books ehy are fun and nicely illustrated.
Reddy Mallender-Katzy
Its very interesting however i dont like some of the layout - i would prefer when Question asking that they tell us the answer right after you choose a.b.or.c rather than keep asking question and then tell at the end it's a pain to flick through the pages - maybe it's suppoeed to be good for the memory ? i found it irritating
Steph
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a joy to read these clever little informative gems. Even as a history teacher, they still inform me of unknown humorous tid-bits. Please buy these books and encourage your kids to read them, or better yet read them together!
Gina Baik
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was one interesting and disgusting book. I say disgusting because the book listed very detailed ways on how people were cured during the Middle Ages. This was another fun book to read and I enjoyed it despite the gross facts that I read.
Lee
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-faves
I like the premise of the series which is to talk more about the bad and the ugly from history.

This one was written in 1996. I think a revision to it and to the series to reflect what we know in 2020 would be amazing!
Soumi Sarkar
Hilarious!
James Lawner
Fascinating and disgusting! In the Middle Ages, they used urine as bleach!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mountain Master of Sha Tin (Ava Lee #12)
  • The Goddess of Yantai  (Ava Lee, #11)
  • Odious Oceans (Horrible Geography)
  • Deadly Diseases (Horrible Science)
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1: The Case of the Girl Who Took Her Shampoo (But Left her Mini)
  • Chemical Chaos
  • The Terrible Truth About Time (Horrible Science)
  • Painful Poison
  • Zom-B Clans
  • Zom-B Gladiator
  • Zom-B Underground
  • Zom-B Family
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more