Start by marking “Scrappy Little Nobody” as Want to Read:
Scrappy Little Nobody

Read Book

Scrappy Little Nobody

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  48,287 Ratings  ·  5,856 Reviews
A collection of humorous autobiographical essays by the Academy Award-nominated actress and star of Up in the Air and Pitch Perfect.

Even before she made a name for herself on the silver screen starring in films like Pitch Perfect, Up in the Air, Twilight, and Into the Woods, Anna Kendrick was unusually small, weird, and “10 percent defiant.”

At the ripe age of thirteen, she
Published November 15th 2016 by Touchstone Books

To ask other readers questions about Scrappy Little Nobody, please sign up.
ColinJ I don't know. How mature is the 14 year-old?

She is quite frank about her sex life, and being a late bloomer in that department, but she's not graphic.

Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
All I knew about her going into these books was Pitch Perfect and Twilight... and I have learned that she essentially plays herself.
But here's the thing about crazy: It. Wants. Out.
I love it.

Her book is quirky, endearing and fun. She swings from:
Maybe we all have impostor syndrome and perpetually feel like our real life is right around the corner.
to:
'Oh my god, I just made out with Legolas!' Again, I’m not going to name that actor, as I wish to respect his privacy
every few pages and i
Nat
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
I've been waiting to read this collection of humorous autobiographical essays for months and months, and I can now say that the wait was definitely worth it. Anna Kendrick's humor is even more hilarious on paper.

In Scrappy Little Nobody, she invites readers inside her brain, sharing extraordinary and charmingly ordinary stories with candor and winningly wry observations.

Sidebar: her honesty in this was kind of inspiring. It was like siting down to gossip with your friends and family (similar to
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I tried to read the physical book awhile back but couldn't get into it so I decided to listen to it on audio and loved it. The book is pretty short. I started it last night at bedtime and finished this morning.

It was so much better with Anna reading her own book and I rather enjoyed it 😊
Larry H
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

So, I kinda have a thing for Anna Kendrick. I've been (healthily) obsessed with her since 2003, when she appeared in an indie movie called Camp , which was about kids attending a performing arts summer camp in upstate New York.

Anna played a young girl named Fritzi, who had an obsession with a girl named Jill, who starred in most of the plays that summer. But Jill mistreated Fritzi, so in the end, Fritzi got her revenge, as you'll see in the clip at https://youtu.be/W8y9p
Cait • A Page with a View
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was kind of expecting this to be funnier, but the whole book was still a pretty fun read because she doesn't take herself too seriously and is completely self-aware. There were a few parts where I laughed out loud! But it was mostly an honest & open narrative that gives a different perspective on Hollywood.

I'm not a super huge fan and don't know very much about Anna Kendrick outside of the roles she's played, so I didn't realize she came from such a normal background and has such a regula
Khurram
Another reviewer said a lot of what I think, and quite honestly if I had read their review earlier I probobly would not have bought this. I acknowledge I am not the target audience, but I did like Anna's movies and always respect someone who has worked their way up the ranks.

Dispite Anna Kendrick's kooky image, this is not a light reading book. This is a serious actress describing her journey. Yes she is not from the mould of the usual "entitled" Hollywood personality, but now she is in the uppe
Trish
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I MADE IT!

Disclaimer: smoking weed after reading Stephen King’s The Shining is apparently a bad idea.

I’m not into biographies. Not unless they are historically and/or politically important. Nevertheless, when I got a probably historically important one (haven’t read it yet), I also got this one, hoping it would make me laugh (Anna Kendrick’s movies aren’t bad and she seemed like a funny person).

Sadly, this book was soooo disappointing. I guess I should have known because she is only about half a
Emir Ibañez
Ok, this was a funny read.
It made me laugh out loud several times but it also has some "serious" stuff, it is well balanced and yes, this made me love Anna even more. This book felt like we were just lying in the grass and talking after a year of not seeing each other or something. I had a problem with the audiobook tho, she was talking very fast and English is not my first language so I had some problems trying to understand what she was saying but the next moment she was talking about somethin
Lola  Reviewer
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir
Typical memoir from a celebrity – not much juicy info – and dull, especially regarding the love-life department. But Ms Kendrick does write well.
Carmen
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young women; people who enjoy celebrity memoirs
Once you know someone is an asshole, it's hard to find anything they say funny, charming, or poignant. I find myself thinking, "I wouldn't believe this guy if he warned me about an impending nuclear fallout; he's an asshole."

I was going to write a one-star review for this. I was up to page 84, and the book was boring. It was just boring. I was thinking, "I will start the review like this: I like Anna Kendrick, I think she is cute and funny, but perhaps she shouldn't write a book. Because she has
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the more enjoyable celebrity audiobooks i've listened to! I prefer to listen to memoir on audio, especially if it's read by the author, because I find it easy to get into and a lot funner than picking up the physical version. This was read by Anna, and although I'm not her hugest fan, I do love her Twitter page and her roles in Twilight & Pitch Perfect.

And this book was such a delight. I laughed out loud several times, which is rare for me when reading (or listening to) a book
Matthew
This was an enjoyable and humorous "getaway" book. Some may know what I mean by that, but to explain . . . it wasn't too deep and meaningful. I could just listen and laugh.

Anna's stories were generally funny. Sometimes the "I am just a normal person, but famous" undertones got to be a bit much, but if that's how she feels, I'm cool with it. As I said in one of my statuses . . . the theme is - Anna is just like us, only cuter and smaller! It's funny, though, because she kinda acts like she is ju
description

The audiobook for this one is really recommendable since Anna’s voice gives an extra something to the funny tales.

I didn’t know how was it gonna be for me but as soon as she started talking about dating, sex and how she feels in Hollywood, it was a winner. Not only I share her take on feminism and sex but also reading about all these crazy experience from someone who doesn’t take herself serious was great.

There were a lot of good moments but two of my favorites were when her first sexual partner
Elyse
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audiobook

I dedicate this review to Steven....A 'short' review! May you enjoy your coffee in peace, Steven.

"Great things come in small packages"!
Anna: "small' on you is classy, sexy, funny, audacious, powerful, genuine, and
magnificent!

Anna is phenomenal in the movie "Up in the Air".....
and terrific as Cinderella in movie version of "Into the Woods"!
Just sayin!!!

A fun - down to earth - adorable - Audiobook memoir!

Mariah
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
To be honest I expected this book to be way more funny than it was. I love Anna Kendrick as an actress and recently she has held a lot of funny parts, so I just assumed this book would be funny. There were a lot of times that I could tell she was trying to be funny, but not a single part of this book made me laugh out loud.

But besides the lack of humor this book was pretty interesting. I loved how this book was completely about her life and they were all true to her story of how she got to where
Kelsey
Aug 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: for-work
Read the manuscript (don't worry, we don't have bound books yet!) and wrote LOL in the margins whenever I actually LOLed, and my pages are now absolutely filled with them.
emma
3.35/5 stars

i'm too lazy to write a review for this, friends. happy thanksgiving!
Ms. Smartarse
I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Anna Kendrik. For the longest time, I would only think of her as that chick from Twilight. You know, one of those side characters who completely lose their usefulness once those shiny vampires steal the show. Then I saw her in Pitch Perfect, fell in love with her singing voice, caught her on some Late Night TV shows... and I discovered I kind of liked her, after all.

Anna Kendrik revelling in the appaluse at the Late Show

This little collection of memoirs is like that too. I didn't know much about her, but the book'
Mari
Apr 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
i'm not usually one to read celebrity books but i mean. anna kendrick. the blurb alone makes me smile already. completely effortless.
Hannah
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna Kendrick seems lovely. I thought so before I listened to her book and now I am fairly certain it is true.

I listened to her memoir on audiobook and as usual this was the right decision. Her delivery is perfect and the book is beyond hilarious. Her humour translates very well to the format and had me absolutely in stitches. This is also the strongest part of this book; weirdly enough I found her to be the funniest of all the "funny ladies" whose memoir I read in the last year, even though she
Brooke
Mar 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Perhaps I am too harsh in demanding excellence (well, really mediocrity) from memoirs. All I'm looking for is stories about childhood, occupations, relationships, etc. The way that it is presented to you, the narration of the person, makes or breaks it. You get all of that here, but it just didn't work for me. So to be clear: I do like Anna. Her movie characters have been known to make me laugh & she is a positive addition to casts. (Though scripted work is much different than book deals.) I ...more
Flannery
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I like about listening to comedic (as in funny, not necessarily by a comedian) memoirs is that they are easy for others to pick up for short bursts. I almost exclusively listen in my car and, every once in a while, someone will get in and ask me about what I'm listening to when it starts playing. Usually I have to turn it off so I don't lose my place or get distracted. With memoirs read by the author, people don't mind picking it up at a random place and just listening for a sp ...more
Cyndi
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This woman is a wonderful writer! The book is easy to read and hugely entertaining.
I am not a huge bio reader. It's probably less than one percent of the books I read. But I am so glad I read this one!! Actually I listened to the audio and read it also. Although the book is brilliantly written, the audio hits it out of the park. Anna Kendrick is an amazing actress and she shines in the audio. It adds so much to the experience!
Shannon (leaninglights)
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun and interesting to get to know Anna better. Perfect title :)
Gabby
Thank you so much to TouchStone books for sending me a copy of this book! Disclaimer: this in no way affects my opinion on the book.
I adore this book. Anna Kendrick is one of my favorite actresses, and I absolutely love her in The Accountant, 50/50, End of Watch, Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates, Up In The Air, Pitch Perfect, etc. I think she's absolutely hilarious and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I listened to the audiobook and it was so great, her voice makes it all the more
Jacqueline's Reads
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3 Meh But Amusing Stars

I love autobiographies and I love Anna Kendrick so I was really excited for this one.

I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it. There were good moments and some dull moments.

The first half of the book is kind of boring. She talks a little about her childhood, but overall her childhood was nice so it wasn’t like I got a moving story or anything that made me glued to the pages. The photos were cute.

When we get to the movie / Hollywood section I got a little more interested. T
Veronica Morfi
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was not a big fan of Anna Kendrick before reading this book, but now I can safely say that she is my spirit animal. The girl is amazing and crazy at the same time. I loved every minute of this book and actually listening to Anna narrate her book was an amazing experience. I just wish there was more.
Erin
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My review of Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick is based purely on emotion & not its literary value. That's not a diss & I don't mean to imply that this book isn't a finely written piece of art. But mainly I'm giving it 5 Stars because I'm sick & reading this book made me feel a little better.

Anna Kendrick is one of my favorite actresses & this book made her one of my favorite people. Once again I implore you to take this with a grain of salt because I'm currently & have
Taryn Pierson
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-release, audio
I think the best tidbit I took away from Anna Kendrick's book of funny personal essays was not to put too much stock in “nice.” Being nice, as Kendrick explains, usually means being compliant. It means not sticking up for yourself, or knuckling under when people try to push your boundaries. And in order to be a good person, the kind of person you want to be, you might just have to let go of the idea of being nice.

Oh man, did I need to hear that. Not earth-shattering advice, maybe, but absolutely
Jenny (adultishbooks)
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This book confirmed what I already knew to be true: Anna and I are destined to be best friends.
  • The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
  • Where Am I Now?
  • Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together
  • Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • Leave Me
  • It's Not Okay: Turning Heartbreak Into Happily Never After
  • Superman (DC Icons #4)
  • Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • Solutions and Other Problems
  • Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
Anna Kendrick is an American actress and singer, born and raised in Portland, Maine. She is widely known for her roles in The Twilight Saga, Up in the Air, and Pitch Perfect. Throughout her acting career, Kendrick has received various awards and nominations.

More about Anna Kendrick

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
    $5.99 $1.99
“I love rules and I love following them, unless that rule is stupid.” 106 likes
“I gave up on being Nice. I started putting more value on other qualities instead: passion, bravery, intelligence, practicality, humor, patience, fairness, sensitivity. Those” 90 likes