Start by marking “Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak” as Want to Read:
Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak

Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak

Eat, Pray, Love meets The Rosie Project in this fresh, heartwarming memoir by a man who travels to Verona and volunteers to answer letters addressed to Shakespeare’s Juliet, all in an attempt to heal his own heartbreak.

When Glenn Dixon is spurned by love, he packs his bags for Verona, Italy. Once there, he volunteers to answer the thousands of letters that arrive addressed
Published February 7th 2017 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Juliet's Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juliet's Answer

Mischenko
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com for this review and others.

Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak is an intriguing story about a high school teacher who's attempt at love has fallen short. He then embarks on a journey to Verona, Italy to spend a summer answering letters that were sent to Juliet.

I thoroughly enjoyed this touching memoir. It sort of reminded me of the movie "Letters to Juliet" which my mom has influenced me to watch at least ten t
Julie
Juliet’s Answer by Glenn Dixon is a 2017 Gallery Books Publication

This memoir tells the amazing journey taken by Glenn Dixon, a school teacher, from Canada, who volunteers to read and respond to letters written to Shakespeare’s Juliet while visiting Verona, Italy.

These letters are filled with vulnerability, suffering, loneliness, and sometimes despair, of those who have lost love, are broken hearted, or simply unsure if what they are feeling is the real deal or a passing attraction.

At first Gl
Chihoe Ho
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much of a non-fiction reader to begin with, I surprised myself by how much I ended up enjoying this memoir. It reads with the ease of a light, breezy fictional narrative in quite the relatable voice from Glenn Dixon, who travels to Verona and volunteers his time answering letters addressed to Juliet Capulet, a practice and service I didn't know existed. I genuinely felt Iike I was transported to Italy, seeing the various landmarks through Dixon's words. What's more, I learnt a lot more of Ro ...more
Cindy Burnett
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Juliet’s Answer is a highly entertaining read. Glenn Dixon, a high school teacher in Canada, spends the summer in Verona answering the thousands of letters that come to Juliet Capulet. Struggling with love himself, he gains insight into matters of the heart while visiting the various haunts associated with Romeo and Juliet. My favorite part of the story by far was learning so much more about Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet and the prior stories that it may be based on. Dixon imparts this knowledg ...more
Allison
A neat little story about a guy's experiences in love, and as a letter writer for love letters to and from Juliet. What I liked most about the story was the detail included about Verona, Italy, a city I know pretty well and love a lot. It's, of course, the perfect backdrop for a story about love, and its beauty really come across in Dixon's writing.

Before this book, I had no idea that you could write a letter to Juliet and receive a response. I love it! And even though I'm with my life-long love
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
5 Stars

I truly loved this book. It was a very sweet story about a man who has been burned by love; but still is looking for love. What set it apart from other love stories is that this one is true, and that's probably what made me enjoy so much!

It jumps back and forth; talking about his time in Verona, to being a teacher and talking about the woman who had a loved for many years.

Because this is a true story, what I really enjoyed was the inclusion of photographs at the end of the book, or some o
Dorine
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of heartwarming stories
Completely unexpected and delightful, JULIET’S ANSWER by Glenn Dixon is full of wit, heartfelt emotion, quandaries, love, and the quintessential happy-ever-after.

This book sounded like it would be a travelogue with a man’s observations on love, but it’s not. Mostly memoir with some fiction to protect the innocent, JULIET’S ANSWER is one of the best books I’ve read this year. It was everything I’d hoped it would be, and so much more, that I read it extremely fast.

The author is quite good at build
Anima
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delving into the first chapter, I have been well surprised to learn that there is a place in Verona called “Club di Giulietta” (http://www.julietclub.com/en/) where you can send a letter about your broken heart. So nice to have in this world people who volunteer their time and efforts to try mending that little part of your body which gives so much trouble when lets itself fooled by feelings that are no right! (“ Each answer was two to three paragraphs long”). Glenn Dixon, the main character, tr ...more
Cathy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
So much of this book is Dixon’s complaints about his own miserable love life that it made me a bit irritated with him. At the end, he shares with a radio interviewer about the best way to respond to letter writers: “Sometimes you really want to tell these people to get it together, to smarten up — but of course you can’t say that. That’s not what they want to hear.” He goes on to say that it’s best to just allow them to share, to listen to them. Honestly, I wanted to do the same thing: just tell ...more
Janille N G
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very pleasant book and made me desperately want to visit Verona and reread Romeo and Juliet. A sweet read!
Krista
Mercutio: Any man that can write may answer a letter.
-Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene IV

In Juliet's Answer, author Glenn Dixon pretty much ticks all the boxes on a modern day travel memoir: His real life has provided a situation rife with dramatic irony (in his case, a tale of woe; of unrequited love) which he was able to finally confront and interpret through a trip to a foreign land (complete with a highly interesting project while in Verona, Italy), and then reinterpret in the
Ida
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"… everyone yearns for a little magic. Everyone wants the Gates of Paradise to open for them, and when I wrote my letter to Juliet, it was one last knock on the door. It was one last attempt at a happy ending.”

Juliet’s Answer contains real stories in which the author recounts his experience of traveling to Verona and joining a group that is dedicated to answering the many letters that are addressed to Juliet. That is Juliet of Romeo and Juliet. After the city of Verona began receiving numerous l
Dawn
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 ⭐. I don't read a lot of memoirs but I found I enjoyed this book. It was a light and fluid read and you could quite easily picture the narrator and what he's describing. I particularly enjoyed the story of him teaching Shakespeare to his students. As he says throughout the story, everyone is looking for love. It is human nature to do so. The tricky part is knowing when you've found it, how to keep it and knowing when to let go if it isn't working. Almost everyone has struggled with this at ...more
Vivian Choi
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐ ...more
Cathie McLeod
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dixon’s connections to his students, himself, the story of Romeo and Juliet and the writers of the letters he answers makes this an enjoyable read. The setting of Verona makes it a great escape read, too. I’m so happy he found his answer to his letter to Juliet!
Megan
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not what I expected. I didn't read the back to throughly and expect a novel similar to the move about Juliet's letters. While this wasn't earth shattering prose, it was a lovely memoir. I especially liked the flashes back to his classroom teaching Romeo and Juliet. We should all have teachers who approaches tough materials the way Dixon did.
Jennifer G
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, quick read, enjoyable, predictable.

The best part of the book was reading about how the main character taught his high school class about Romeo and Juliet. So interesting! Yet... unrealistic... the class seemed to study this one play for about 5 months.....

❀ Susan G
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads

Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak is the heartwarming account of Glenn Dixon's struggles in relationships and his search for love. This memoir will be featured at the 2017-18 Grimsby Author Series, in the fall, and I look forward to meeting the author who bravely quit his job and travelled to Verona in search of himself and yearning for love.

Glenn was a highschool teacher. He had a passion for Romeo and Juliet
Anne Logan
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at ivereadthis.com

Before I dive into my review, I should come right out and say that the author Glenn Dixon is a friend of mine. I met him shortly after I moved to Calgary and I don’t know exactly how we came to be friends, but I do know that I would see him out at numerous book events, and the rest is history. Although he’s my pal, I promise this is an honest review. If I read the book and didn’t like it (which would have been incredibly awkward, to say the least) I
Pam Mooney
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly entertaining! I didn't look at the pictures or read the note to readers until I read the book. I was so enchanted I wanted to picture everyone in my own mind. I loved the students - each and everyone of the them. I enjoyed hearing about the lives of Juliet's secretaries and the office and scenery - so much to take in. I know this is a memoir but it read like fiction and it makes me so happy that it actually happened. A wonderful love story that is sure to become a family treasure and a goo ...more
Karyn
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was excited to read this book, but found it disappointing. The sections about him teaching Shakespeare were entertaining, but the relationship part was tedious. Basically, the author has a long term friend who doesn't want a relationship. In fact, he spends a lot of the book saying that they are really great friends and had been for years. But he does not speak to her ever again after she finds someone else. He then goes to Verona to 'cure his heartbreak' and finds someone else in the process. ...more
Sandy Krausnick
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This book was a light, bright shiny read; a palate cleanser after the violence of The Orenda. I enjoyed the classroom scenes where students learned about Romeo and Juliet, interspersed with the details of Verona and the Secretaries of Juliet. Glenn Dixon has done a good job with this creative non-fiction book.
Kathy Cowie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Why I picked it — Because I loved the premise and the setting.
Reminded me ofEat Pray Love - for the journey, romance, and travel aspects
For my full review click here
Christy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
An inspiring, heartwarming story of one man's search for love!

"Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak" by Glenn Dixon is a memoir of the author's life and relationship experiences. The first two acts of this book flow between the authors time teaching Shakespeare to high schoolers, his past relationship with longtime friend Claire, and his trip to Verona working with the secretaries of Juliet within each chapter. The third and last act of this book focuses
Lana Shupe
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Audio book. After watching the book trailer I was moved to learn more about the author's search (was he going to be successful in finding the elusive cure?) and the legendary "secretary's of Juliet" I had heard about on a recent trip to Italy.

The book was a good read. I learned much about Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, about Verona, Italy and maybe even a little bit about how love moves within all of our lives.

The author is Canadian which always appeals to me. #readthenorth.
Aleksandra
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I had no idea going into this book that this was Glenn's autobiography. Oh god. This was amazing. If you like, love or adore or even hate Shakespeare you will love this book. This was great. The ending wasn't as unexpected as other things were in this book but i'm giving it 5 stars just because of Romeo and Juliet and all the other loves in this world.
Leah
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this for the most part. as a result of my life this took forever to read. there were places early on in the book that were disjointed and flipped back and forth too much for my taste. i felt the second half of the book was stronger.
Alison Rogers
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting - lots about teaching - and interesting to learn about Verona, and the history behind Romeo and Juliet
Nicole Evelina
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
This was a very cute, heartwarming story. In addition to that, I think I understand Romeo and Juliet even more than before. As others have said, it is strongly reminiscent of Letters to Juliet, and in some places, reminded me a little of Anne Fortier's fabulous novel, Juliet. Very enjoyable read.
Erin
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reviews
I've always been fascinated by the phenomenon that is the "Letters to Juliet". This book was the perfect answer to my curiosity. A look inside how the whole system works, and some of the people that act as Juliet's secretaries.

Within the first couple of chapters I found myself fully invested in Dixon's happiness. As I walked the streets reading and listening to his story, I felt as though I was walking the streets of Verona with him and his group of fast friends.

I'm sure to re-read this in the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
SCPL Online NonFi...: Glenn the Teacher 1 6 Aug 22, 2017 06:31PM

• Botswana Time
  • Intolerable: A Memoir of Extremes
  • Boundless: Tracing Land and Dream in a New Northwest Passage
  • A Bold and Dangerous Family: The Remarkable Story of an Italian Mother, Her Two Sons, and Their Fight Against Fascism
  • Road Trip Rwanda: A Journey Into the New Heart of Africa
  • A Girl Like I: An Autobiography
  • Desperately Seeking Self-Improvement: A Year Inside the Optimization Movement
  • SABINA: A Novel Set in the Italian Renaissance: Revised 2015
  • Who By Fire
Glenn Dixon's latest book is "Juliet's Answer" (Simon and Schuster, January 2017). As the lone male secretary at the Club di Giulietta in Verona, he answered the real letters to Juliet and he learned something of love, of Shakespeare and of the sun splashed hills of this ancient Italian city.

Publishers Weekly gave his second book, "Tripping the World Fantastic", a starred rating, saying it "succe