Start by marking “Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation” as Want to Read:
Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation

Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation

A writer’s search for inspiration, beauty, and solace leads her to birds in this intimate and exuberant meditation on creativity and life—a field guide to things small and significant.

When it comes to birds, Kyo Maclear isn’t seeking the exotic. Rather she discovers joy in the seasonal birds that find their way into view in city parks and harbors, along eaves and on wires.
Published January 3rd 2017 by Scribner

Ariel
A NEW FAVOURITE!!! YAY!!!

This book isn't for everyone, but it was definitely for me.

This is a meditation, a pause, a break. It's an artist who had to take a year to calm down and step back.. through bird watching. Like What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, which I read and loved earlier this year, I don't care any more about birdwatching than I do about running. Sure these books are about birds and running but really they're about how those things affect the writers. This was about reconn
Diane S ☔
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that found me at the perfect moment. I was feeling stressed with all the things that needed to be done before Christmas, anxiety ridden because time was running out. I started reading this book at night, a month at a time, loved how this bookman divided by months, and since the author was also having a problem with anxiety, her struggles helped me with my own. Of course hers were forma different and more important reason than mine were, her father's failing health, feeling closed in and ...more
Emer
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of gentle prose seeking stillness
Upon closing the last pages of this book I feel as if I should bow my head in silence, speak only in whispered tones. Make some sort of reverential gesture. I really didn't know what to expect from reading a book about bird watching but this... This felt so much more than anything I could have hoped for.

In this memoir, writer Kyo Maclear writes about the year when she followed in the footsteps of a musician friend as he went out birding. She had been intrigued by this fellow artist's immense pa
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, nature, birds
"Birds Art Life" is the type of book that asks to be read slowly, with contemplation. I found that my enjoyment of the book increased as I set it aside for several days after reading, and then went back to review my notes before writing this review.

When Kyo Maclear's father faces a grave and terminal illness, she looks for a way to manage her own grief an anxiety about her father's health. On the recommendation of and with the help of a friend, she takes up bird watching deciding to enjoy small
David Schaafsma
I read this book because I am a fan of Kyo Maclear's picture books such as Julia, Child; The Liszts; Virginia Wolf, all adorably illustrated whimsical clever books. I also had thought I should this year read outside of my comfort zone once in a while and read a non-fiction reflective book, maybe sort of right for midwinter. And I have bird feeders and sometimes go on little birding expeditions in the (urban) area where I live. I say "little" having hoped this book might be a book about urban bir ...more
Rebecca
Troubled by her father’s ill health and feeling generally a bit stuck in her career and relationships, children’s book author Kyo Maclear (I loved her The Liszts) undertook a year of birdwatching in her native Toronto, with a bird-loving musician as her guide. “I wanted a road map back to my art, my equanimity,” she writes. Unfortunately, I loved the premise more than the execution: the book is, perhaps necessarily, somewhat flighty and unfocused, with the sketches, lists and quotes detracting f ...more
Lata
4.5 stars. Lovely language created lovely images in my head. Kyo Maclear begins this book with her father's ill health, and the grief she's feeling. This leads her eventually to meeting a musician, who agrees to let her accompany him for a year of birdwatching.
The book is populated with Maclear's at times gorgeous prose and sketches, and her meditations on many things, including birds. She becomes aware of the birds around her, and gains some peace from them.
I'm by no means a serious birdwatche
Samantha Kilford
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-sent-to-me
If the books I review on this website are indicative of something, it's that I don't read a lot of non-fiction. I'm the person who'd much rather an action packed novel about, say, an alien invasion than a long study debating alien existence full of essays and scientific evidence.

On the rare occasions where I do venture into the non-fiction territory, it's mainly to read memoirs. The last one I read being John Pearson's The Profession of Violence about the Kray twins which not only follows your
Briar's Reviews
Book Review
Book Title: Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation
Book Author: Kyo Maclear

Introduction: I was craving some inspirational nonfiction, so I decided to pick this book up. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads for an honest review.

Review:

"Every love story is a potential grief story" - Kyo Maclear reference - Julian Barnes's Levels of Life.

Romie
I simply loved how this book focused on aloneness, grief and smallness. While I was listening to it, it was a time to relax and heard about not only birds but also growth as an artist and a human being.
Casey
3 to 3.5 stars.

This book is a memoir about the author, Kyo Maclear, deciding to go bird watching for a year. But really this book isn't about birds, Maclear uses birds to talk about art, life and death, as the title suggests. I did like this book, though at times I thought some sections were a bit boring or explaining someone that was kind of cliche. However, I do listen to a lot of podcasts and interviews about artists discussing their work, art, life and ideas, so that's maybe why I found some
anete
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for a honest review, thanks again*

really. damn. good.
After reading this book you feel like you know everything about the author and how she perceives the world around her. The way Maclear writes makes you feel included, it felt natural, like you're old friends and she's just telling you where she's been.
In short, this book is an exploration of self and the world, which stays with you.
Christopher Jones
Give yourself a treat, escape for a few hours with this little gem ! ❤I can’t quite put my finger on why exactly I liked this but I did ❤ ...more
Krista
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I knew birds were not trivial. They were constantly chirping, and what they were saying, or what I heard them say, was Stand up. Look around. Be in the world.

Birds Art Life is a hipstery memoir – Toronto-based writer Kyo Maclear drops the names of arthouse movies and indie musicians that I've never heard of (in the acknowledgements, Maclear even thanks a Jason Logan for the “street-harvested pigments” she used in the pen and ink sketches for this book; and if that ain't hipster, I don't know w
Clare O'Beara
This book appears to have been re-released very promptly as Birds Art Life, probably because someone at the publishing house remembered that memoirs with a positive title sell better than memoirs with a negative title.

The tale is rather disjointed and rambling, and I have to say does not do birds, art or life very well. The author is forced to confront mortality after her father gets a diagnosis of serious illness. She could have thrown herself into many purposes, like bringing up her two small
David Yoon
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exploring the nature of art, creativity and paying better attention to the world around you without expectation. It is about the perverse audacity of aiming tiny and giving yourself permission to be creative.

This is and isn’t a woo-woo self-help book in the same way it is and it isn’t an autobiography about the time immediately following the time her father suffered two strokes. It’s a meandering, playful, chat with a curious mind.

It’s Anne Lamont meets Cheryl Strayed with a distinctly Canadia
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not the right book for me, but I am weirdly reluctant to give it fewer stars - perhaps because I can see why it was perfect for the friend who recommended it to me, perhaps because it is so earnest and occasionally says just the right thing in just the right way.

Birds Art Life is not really a book about birds, although like Maclear's ostensible subjects, it is on the flighty side. The author, guided by a musician/birding friend, sets out on a year of watching birds in Toronto and using
Mousy Brown
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feeling "unmoored " by my own Fathers illness and sudden death, I found myself tethered again by the recognition of similar themes within the pages of this book. Words so eloquently described my emotions and confirmed my confidence in the 'nature cure' ...
A beautiful, brief reflection on birds and their significance to us as humans, the place art has in our souls, on life and what keeps us living...a book that will stay with me for far longer than it took to read...
Alexis
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A quiet meditation about birds, the creation of art and life in general. This is a very quiet and contemplative book. I found it refreshing to read. It was poetic and very thoughtful.
Imi
For a long time I did not tell anyone I was writing a book about birds. Depending on my mood I referred to this book as "a project," "some bits of writing," and, finally, and probably most correctly: "a sketch book."
This quiet memoir is more a book about life and art (writing), than it is about birds. I went into it hoping for a gentle nature memoir, and although it was not quite what I was expecting, I felt it won me over pretty quickly, and for that reason I'd give it a 3.5 star rating.

Kyo M
Swati
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading "A Year of Observation" is like going into meditation. There is stillness, a quietness, that pervades as Kyo Maclear's words spring forth. I saw myself sitting at a small kitchen table, in the slanting afternoon sun, with a cup of coffee, the hushed tones of a reflective conversation filling the air. That's the kind of calm that Maclear brings.

Maclear's book derives its energy from birds. When her musician friend introduced her to birdwatching, Maclear learnt to patiently observe. But i
Smitha Murthy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves books with meaning and depth.
Recommended to Smitha by: Vishy
If I could, I would rate this 6. A sweet friend in Chennai sent me this book earlier this year, saying in a note that the title and subtitle of this book, ‘The Art of Noticing the Small and Insignificant,’ reminded him of me. “I thought it was written for you,” he said, “because it talks about things that you deeply believe in..” It was one of the touching things anyone has ever done for me, and made me feel like my life is not a waste if I have made at least one person think of the ‘right’ thin ...more
Emily Crow
This is one of those books it's a bit hard for me to rate, because although it wasn't a bad book by any means, it simply wasn't what I was expecting and so I feel a bit disgruntled about that. Since I found it in the nature section of (sadly going out of business) Book World, and the cover has birds all over it and states "A Year of Observation," I thought that birds would be the main topic. As it turns out, the book is only tangentially about birds: the author tags along with a birder for sever ...more
Mark
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
“When he fell in love with birds and began to photograph them, his anxieties dissipated.
The sound of birdsong reminded him to look outward at the world.”

“He had discovered his joy was bird-shaped.”

“It was a relief to be back with the bird-loving weirdos, soaking up their stand-and-stare vibe, basking in the still night air that carried not even a breath of wind.”

“Birding is more than an activity. It's a disposition. Keep your eyes and ears and mind open to beauty.”

“If you listen to birds, every
Francisca Pageo
Me lo compré hace unos meses porque nada más vi que salió sabía que sería un libro para degustar tranquilamente. Lo mejor: ha cumplido las expectativas y ha pasado a convertise en uno de mis favoritos. Quizás porque me ha llegado en un momento clave (ya sabéis cómo son esos libros que llegan en el momento más indicado) y porque lo he leído con los ojos de una niña curiosa que sólo desea aprender de la vida y de lo que le rodea.

Un libro diario y testimonial sobre el mundo de los pájaros, sobre l
Sophie Potter
I received this book through the Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for a review.

I'm interested in birds, in memoirs and increasingly in art, so this book really should have been a slam-dunk for me. However, I ended up feeling that it was just a bit too much of a little book- it touched on so many things but never really fully engaged on any level. The proof I received was however beautifully designed and laid out. If you are a fan of smaller, vignette-style writing, this is almost certainly the boo
Margot
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
There were some passages and sections that I found engaging, but a lot of this I skimmed. At times, I felt the writing was pretty mediocre.
Peter
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed this book. We are in the process of moving, as fate would have it, back to Toronto, where most of the book is set. Having lived in Toronto for most of my life, I recognized the places Maclear mentioned; indeed, being a casual birder myself, I have been to them all. Moving is stressful. This book is the perfect antidote.

Listen carefully, look and think small, and be aware of the universe that unfolds in front of you. A good mantra to develop and follow. Maclear leads us through each of t
Briar's Reviews
Book Review
Book Title: Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation
Book Author: Kyo Maclear

Review:

This book is an inspirational gem that truly surprised me. I never expected a book about watching birds to be one of my favourite r
⋟Kimari⋞
Birds Art Life is more about human relationships than it is about birds, with grief and anxiety as central themes. The book contains an eclectic mix of bird related tidbits and pop culture references.