Start by marking “Dopamine” as Want to Read:
Dopamine

Dopamine

“Have you lost your mind? They’ll kill you. Are you willing to literally bet your life on—”
“On my own technical expertise? Yes. Always.”

It was supposed to be just another software job. It wasn't supposed to involve dodging bullets, igniting explosions, out-driving hitmen, or bluffing his way through the dens of international crime lords. Danny's big brain has always served
Published April 8th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Dopamine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dopamine

Start your review of Dopamine
Norma
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
( Format : Audiobook )
"Paranoia was a virtue. "
I was never a gamer and know nothing about hacking, nor , to my knowlsdge, have I met any nasty, drug dealing Russian criminals, but I thoroughly enjoyed this rather crazy novel which actually felt like it contained real, if very odd, characters. And it's funny as well as violent, as someone said, 'Bourne Identity starring the Three Stooges.'
Some great science fiction pictures drawn in the mind, like the HERF gun, cobbled together, which stops ener
Jesse
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all: "This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review."

This is actually more of a 3.5 star read for me. It was explained to me before listening to this audiobook, that it is a work of "hard science fiction" with "technically accurate" hacking and science. And it's true! It was very descriptive, very accurate, and very intense. And those parts of the story were really enjoyable. However, outside of the scientific, the story suffered from implausibili
N.V. Cefalo
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*This book was given to me by the author at my request, and I provided this voluntary, unbiased review.*

4.9/5

This was a wild ride, and I was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing. Right from the start, it is filled with action, is very witty, and is still a great concept storywise. I appreciated all the Easter eggs in the story, as well as doing a good job explaining IT and Biotech concepts. There were times I LOL'd, as well as bit my nails! The characters were unique, though could of used
Nicholas Erasmus
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
What starts as a breathless adventure that teased a theme that appeals to me very much, ended up leaving me confused as to whether or not I even liked it.

The 2 “intimacy” scenes were not necessarily out of place until they dragged on long enough for me to wonder if the book had suddenly turned into an erotic romance novel. These, along with other sections contributed to the book having pacing issues.

The opening was fantastic however, and when the book does get a move on it is a fast-paced engro
Mike
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a great read!

100% recommend to anyone interested in reading a novel on computer hacking and biotech! It’s quite interesting the way Mikhail Voloshin depicts technology and truly brings life to the characters and scenes through out the story. 100% would recommend!!!
John Mitchell
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting book. Having a computer background, I found this book to be clear to me, but without my background, I feel one would be lost. Though violent, there is much morality within. At times, the story seemed quite convoluted.
Chris Mueller
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good story and good tech

The computer and network tech was pretty reasonable, which I appreciated. Decent characters. Overall I will be looking for more from the author.
Ariadne
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good hacker story. This one is has D&D references, a HERF gun, nerds playing with secure cameras, bio-engineering, genetics and boats. A fast paced nerdy adventure. Loved it!
Eric Kolb
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, fiction, thriller
For a freshman novelist, Mikhail has put together an impressively coherent and satisfying offering in Dopamine. This is a hacking novel, but it bridges the gap between electromagnetic machine hacking and biochemical hacking. For a novel set in the startup landscape of modern Seattle, it features an unexpectedly diverse cast and manages to avoid troublesome regressive tropes.

The structure of the novel is, perhaps unsurprisingly, highly evocative of a Shadowrun pen & paper RPG campaign. The roles
Daniel Casper
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I said on Amazon...anyone with an eye for well-crafted literature will appreciate the clever gem which is “Dopamine.” Voloshin’s sheer technical brilliance shines through on every page, placing the work in the realm of hard sci-fi (despite some parts of the epilogue). Everything you read about in “Dopamine” is possible, and for that, it is compelling. Finally, a story that delivers true-to-life “hacking,” without the handwaving most authors rely on. Study up, techno-crime writers! Readers, ra ...more
Amy Peck
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Non-stop techno thrill ride

Techno / bio / orgo / philosophical all bound up in a non-stop hacker thriller. I'm not a gamer or coder and initially thought this would be way over my head but the author does a remarkable job making the technology accessible to non-techies like me.

BTW - How does one make their mark in such a rapidly evolving world or even know what that mark is supposed to be?
Erin
Dec 03, 2019
Isha
Jun 12, 2016

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Girl Who Wasn't There (Moon 2095 Book 1)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • Emergency Skin
  • 11th Hour (Women's Murder Club, #11)
  • American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
  • Mean Streak
  • The Second Sleep
  • Morningwood (Everybody Loves Large Chests #1)
  • Full Black (Scot Harvath #10)
  • Superusers: Design Technology Specialists and the Future of Practice
  • The Old Order (A Poor Man at the Gates #7)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Arcane Casebook #2)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 1 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Nobility (Warlord, #2)
  • The Last Conversation
  • Burners
  • Illusions Of Change (A Poor Man at the Gates #6)