Start by marking “A Witch's Kitchen (The Enchanted Kitchen #1)” as Want to Read:
A Witch's Kitchen (The Enchanted Kitchen #1)

A Witch's Kitchen

(The Enchanted Kitchen #1)

Millie's a witch, so why can't she do magic?

Published September 25th 2016 by Dreaming Robot Press

To ask other readers questions about A Witch's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Witch's Kitchen

Start your review of A Witch's Kitchen (The Enchanted Kitchen #1)
Susana
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

This was actually pretty good. Very well written, with an interesting set of characters and a well thought world building. I think that, actual middle graders will love it. As for us adults, who read middle grade, this might read "too young", but like I said, it has a lot of positive points. In fact it ended up being better than a lot of the so called adult contemporary books that I read.

Millie is a sweet character who loves to bake... like, the girl REALLY likes to bake: Masterchef level.
Un
megHan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I have a fascination for children's books, especially when they are something that I would have read when I was younger. This one had all that I needed - a witch who had problems doing things right and lots and lots of cooking. There's adventure, and making new friends, and magic, and a school just for witch's (that reminded me a bit of HP) run by a dragon, and fun.

It was a cute story, but went more than just that. It teaches the reader how to survive the not-so-nice moments in life and the expe
Suzanne
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If this had been published when I was a young reader, it would have been one of my very favorite books - and I highly recommend it! Millie is a young witch who can't get any of her spells right, and boy is she a good cook. She goes to school, makes friends, and learns about her particular special talents. But this books is so much more, and I think it will be very appealing to young readers. It has a lot "witch irony" - she dusts the house by spreading dust all over the house, has to be sure to ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Bill Wolfe
Little Witch meets Hogwarts in this charming novel featuring the 11-year-old daughter of a fearsome witch. Ludmilla Octavia Noctmartis — Millie to her friends — finds herself more at home with scones than scary spells. She considers herself a total failure as a witch, as do her mother and her catty cousin. But Millie finds her life turned around when her powerful grandmother sends Millie off to be the first witch to attend the Enchanted Forest School.

An interesting plot with quite a few twists a
William
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once in a while, I pick up an unknown book from an unfamiliar author, and I always take a skeptic's prove-it-to-me attitude. Prove that you have something fresh to show in a very familiar genre. Prove that you've got a distinctive voice and intriguing characters. Prove that you're a book that's worth the time it takes to read you.

With A Witch's Kitchen, the proof was, as they say, in the pudding. Or to be more precise, the chocolate sauce cooked up by 11-year-old witch Ludmilla Noctmartis, who p
Simona
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I've got this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review*

I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. As soon as I started reading, I couldn't put it down.
The story was unique and intriguing and I liked all the characters, even the mean ones. Definitely recommend it.
Melanie Therese
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A Witch's Kitchen is, quite surprisingly really, ultimately a book about hats.

I truly enjoy hats, though I'm not sure I look good in them.

However, telling you about the hats in A Witch's Kitchen would be giving away too much. So if you want to know why it's about hats you'll have to read it yourself. Sorry!

A Witch's Kitchen is delightful, and I am hoping and praying that a companion recipe book is already in the works. (Pretty, pretty please?)

Just right off the bat, I love the cover art. I'm no
Kimberley Shaw
Very fun read! Points in its favor: appealing characters, a cleverly-envisioned school that gives me envy, and some of the most delicious-looking lunches of the literary world. But a hastily-wrapped up ending and some wild inconsistencies in Bogdana's character knocked off a star for me.
Elena Linville
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You can find this review and more on my blog.

I feel the need to add a disclaimer at the beginning of my review - this is a children's book. Well, a Middle Grade book, but the point is that this is not my usual reading fare. In fact, I stumbled upon this book by mistake: I loved the cover on Netgalley and requested it without looking for the intended audience. Glad I did, because I loved it!

Millie thinks she is a useless witch who can't do proper magic. None of the spells her mother tries to teac
Whispering Stories
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Millie thinks she’s a useless witch who can’t do proper magic. She isn’t like the other witches in her family, much to their annoyance. She can’t grow any warts, her hair won’t tangle, and every time she attempts to do magic, she turns an object into food instead. But with the right help and guidance at school, Millie learns that she truly is a witch (and an amazing cook) whose powers have been quashed by her family. Whilst at school Millie begins to learn more about herself, and her past. The m ...more
Briana
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A Witch's Kitchen introduces readers to a spunky protagonist who simply wants to get things right, whether that's in the kitchen making delightful recipes or growing up to be a properly talented witch, as her mother expects.  Millie has a lot of heart and a lot of gumption, and readers will be clamoring to make her their new literary best friend.  Add a dash of magic, a pinch of trouble, and a seasoning of adventure, and you have one delightfully charming middle grade novel.

The prose of the nove
Jo
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A Witch's Kitchen
By Dianna Sanchez
Genre - Childrens Fiction
Synopsis
Millie's a witch, so why can't she do magic?

Despite her mother’s best efforts to teach her, every spell Millie tries goes horribly wrong, but she’s a fabulous cook. When Millie conjures chocolate sauce instead of a transformation potion, her mother gives up and sends her to the Enchanted Forest School, where she’s bullied by goblins, snubbed by an elf, and has her hat stolen. Even as Millie’s magical talent begins to develop, tur
Sionna
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I received this from netgallery in exchange for an honest and fair review*

I didn't realize this was a middle grade until I started. So, this book and I started on the wrong foot. I'm not used to reading books for a younger audience. But, this book was done very well. I actually really liked it and would totally read a sequel.

Millie is a great character and her growth is so warming to see. She goes from a scared stuttering little girl to a confident young witch with a smile on her face. Truly h
Bernadett
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
i got my copy from netgalley
no matter what i started to resent books that start out with the outstretched intro of the same content as what ive read in the synopsis. like , thank you, ive already read that.
wow : someone telling this to their child is a real charmer…
“You are the most pathetic excuse for a witch I have ever known. You are eleven years old, and you cannot master even the most basic spells and potions.”
making her child to send into a nervous stutter is really not the way in my opin
Sherry Ramsey
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017, print
I was enchanted by this sweet and funny book, about a young witch who thinks she has no ability at witchcraft. Her apparent failings only hide her true talents, however! Along with being entertained (it was a hard-to-stop-for-the-night read), I was also appreciative of a more serious core that underpinned the story without intruding itself--it really spoke to me about finding and appreciating who we really are. But the overall feel of the book is light and fun, the characters are well-drawn, and ...more
Sabrina
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Poor Millie has to put up with a lot, her hair refuses to tangle, she can't manage to grow any warts at all, and everyone makes fun of her for getting all her spells wrong. Is she really even a witch? You'll find out as you read this and learn all about her adventures as she grows into the witch she was always meant to be. As a huge fan of The Worst Witch as a child, I really enjoyed Millie's story and I hope there will be more to come from Millie and this author.
Layla
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good middle school level book

This book touched a cord in me. I wanted so badly to give Millie a hug. Her mother reminded me of my own, and not in a good way. Her childhood echoed the loneliness of mine, and I wish school had been such a refuge to me as it was to Millie. I took refuge in books, like this one. I adored Millie. The one star deduction was for the "mysterious" elements of Sagara's family issues. Lots of hints as to a problem but, unrealistically, not one person says "what's up w
Erin
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book delightful. Millie's spells always go awry, turning into delicious treats instead of vile potions. She's bullied by the other apprentice witches and her own mother, but ends up at the village school learning magic with other young forest folk. Millie must figure out how can she pursue her passion for cooking without disappointing her witchy mother.

The only character I didn't care for was Bogdana, Millie's mom. Not because she was awful, but she just seemed kind of muddled and c
Kathryn Richardson
The take of a young witch trying to cast a spell - any spell!

This title cried up as "recommended reading" after I (very belatedly) finished reading "A Wrinkle In Time". Written on a similar theme and for the same audience, the plot centers on a young witch trying to please her talented and domineering mother. Her attempts at casting spells have... unanticipated results. Interesting characters, an imaginative setting, and witty plot twists made for a pleasant rainy afternoon.
Devon Henry
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Female Harry Potter

I chose this rating because the writer got me interested and connected to Millie right away. I fell in love with Millie's selflessness and need to find herself even though she didn't realize it as well as the secondary characters who are her friends.
I would recommend this book to other readers who are looking for a book similar to Harry Potter but with a female lead. It is worth reading.
Emily Speed
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique, fun and entertaining

I really enjoyed this book!! So refreshing to read a new and original idea. Super fun read. No bad surprises with language or adult content in the middle. I really really enjoyed it!!
Linda Dolven
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this story!

I got this story to read to my niece and nephew. But I enjoyed it so much that I ended up reading it on my own as I didn’t want to put it down. But now I get the pleasure of reading it again, this time out loud :-) Such a fun book!
Amy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! AND!! I JUST DISCOVERED that this book has been made into a series!!! Happiness for ME!!! This book made me think: World of Harry Potter meets World of Narnia!! There was fabulous character/world development! I’m suuuuuper excited to read the next book!!!
Isabelle
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my all time favorites. It shows how the struggles of being a witch is real. Millie goes through A LOT in the book and still manages to come out with something good!!!!😁
Jeanette Neff
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great read, i wasn't expecting to "gobble" it up as fast as i did . The characters were fun and i loved that the story never lagged. I'm very excited to read a pixies promise next.
Marcia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an entertaining read with a believable and likeable main character. The adventure was nonstop as Millie tried to get the hang of being a witch while cooking up a storm!
Andrew Curry
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book

I love this book so much ! I have no complaints about it at all ,you should definitely read it to ! I just wish she would have made a second one 😀
Amanda Allen
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing and so beautifully written! Highly highly recommend!
Jason
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2018
Cute story. I was always conscious of the political talking points, however, which bugged. This won’t stop me from reading the second book when it comes out...
Juli
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received a copy of this upcoming book from Dreaming Robot Press via NetGalley in exhange for a fair, honest review.**

Ludmilla, who prefers to be called Millie, is a terrible witch. She would much prefer to spend her days cooking, but to make her mother happy she struggles to learn her spells, potions and incantations. But, every time she tries, the results are horrific. Millie's sleep potions become chamomile tea, and potions meant to turn enemies into toads turn into chocolate instead. Then

• No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre, #12)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain, #2)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Dark Deeds (Class 5, #2)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
  • With This Ring (Imp Series, #11)
  • Ruthless (The Completionist Chronicles, #4)
  • Dragon Tide: Dragon Staff
  • Dragon Tide: Desperate Flight
  • Dragon Tide: Dragonlet
  • Bria (League of Aligned Worlds, #1)
  • Gabriel (League of Aligned Worlds #2)
  • Escape (Rise of the Black Dragon #1)
  • New Beginnings (Rise of the Black Dragon #2)
  • Black Dragon (Rise of the Black Dragon #3)

The Enchanted Kitchen (3 books)
  • A Pixie's Promise (The Enchanted Kitchen #2)
  • An Elf's Equations (The Enchanted Kitchen #3)