Start by marking “The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)

The Chosen

(Black Dagger Brotherhood #15)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  15,950 Ratings  ·  2,081 Reviews
A scorching forbidden love threatens to tear a rift through the Black Dagger Brotherhood in J. R. Ward’s newest novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling series.

Xcor, leader of the Band of Bastards, convicted of treason against the Blind King, is facing a brutal interrogation and torturous death at the hands of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Yet after a life marked by crue
Published April 4th 2017 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen, please sign up.
Debbie Hastings Please tell JR Ward her People will ALWAYS & FOREVER be interested in The Brotherhood!! Tis a Lifelong Love Affair for Real!! I think all of us…morePlease tell JR Ward her People will ALWAYS & FOREVER be interested in The Brotherhood!! Tis a Lifelong Love Affair for Real!! I think all of us Fans would totally Agree!! So be prepared to keep writing for us about The Brotherhood, The Fallen Angels and anything else your creativity desires!! We ARE ALL IN!!!!!(less)

Stacia (the 2010 club)
What in the fresh hell is this flaming pile of poo???

(psssst...obligatory ***Spoilers Ahead!!!*** tag. Turn back now if you don't want to be spoiled!)

I am having trouble even trying to process what just happened here. HOW could Ward have screwed up this story so badly? I didn't think it was possible to drop the ball and have it roll so far under the damn couch. By writing this review I'm over here sticking my arm underneath the furniture, cringing at the dust bunnies that I'm touching while retr
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Full rantview now posted

I'm am very conflicted in regards to this installment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. There were a couple things I enjoyed, but those things got lost in the bigger picture.

It's taken me days to process it all and try to decide how best to write this review. I've decided to break it down into sections, with spoilers hidden.

I'll start with Xcor and Layla because this is their story, and it was a long time coming.

Xcor and Layla (no spoilers) - I have always liked L
Christy
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!!!!!!

photo A9960FAD-347C-4948-B1B6-EA326A4D6FAD_zpsblhsquzx.jpg

The Chosen is the book all BDB fans have been waiting for for years! I know I have. I had such high hopes for this book and was a little nervous to start it, but I can say with absolute certainly, it did not disappoint! In fact, it’s for sure in my top 5 BDB books. I loved it so much!

Ever since Xcor came on the scene, I was intrigued by him. I know he wasn’t a ‘good guy’ at first, but with time and love, he changed. His and Layla’s story was complicated and honestly, I wasn’t sure
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Love is a matter between souls Stars

photo tumblr_nz6dk9zM2y1ubjp92o1_250_zps7vksozks.gif

**Warning There will be SPOILERS all over this bitch****

***And a few long winded Rants!***

“Love is a matter between souls,” she said as she put her hand on the center of his chest. “Our love is between my soul and yours. Nothing is going to change that, not your past, our present … or whatever futures we may find apart. At least not on my side.”-Layla

OMG I waited so long for Xcor and Layla's love story soooo long. When I seen their book was next I was s
Jilly
Apr 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
OMG, I just wrote the longest review on this and then hit the freaking power button on my surge protector with my foot on accident and lost everything!!! Urge to kill!!!

There is no way in hell I'm rewriting the entire thing, which by the way was a literary masterpiece on why this book sucked so hard. Nope.

So, here's the deal:

Layla & Xcor: Horrible. Boring. Worst romance ever. Worse than Phury and Cormia!!

Qhuinn and Blay: Qhuinn suddenly turns into the Hulk and starts smashing. Blay gets but
Sophia Triad
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Xcor and Layla

“I’m not going to apologize for who I love. In fact, I’m grateful this destiny is mine. If I had fallen for another, I wouldn’t have been forced to be this strong – and there is nothing wrong in this world or the next in finding out your own power.”

After I finished "The Chosen", the initial thought that crossed my mind was this one:

This is clearly NOT a book about the Chosen, is it?

More precisely, this is a book that talks about everyone else except about the Chosen, Layla.
Beca
Ana
Apr 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hell-to-the-no
Thank you J.R. Ward for ruining my favorite couple.

Had I known this would happen, I never would have started this series.

(view spoiler)

#NoChill

photo tenor_zpsegzvxxyd.gif
P
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Swear to me you will move forward,” he demanded. “I cannot be at peace unless you swear it.”
She put her hands to her face. “I feel as if I am breaking in half.”

I liked The Chosen, there was even a moment when I felt it was as good as The Beast or The King, but I just don't like the way all the conflicts are settled, which I will explain later in this review. And the romactic parts of Xcor and Layla weren't that intense - maybe I just expected too much.

And welcome to the island of self-doubt o
Melanie
11.) Lover at Last ★★★★★
12.) The King ★★★★★
13.) The Shadows ★★★★★
14.) The Beast ★★★★

Dying Buddy-reading with Paloma, because I love her so very much and she writes me name in the old language and warms my heart! ♥:

Again, I'm dumbfounded by how J.R. Ward can keep this series i
Jen Davis
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I know a lot of BDB fans were not excited for this book. JR Ward alienated so many people (myself included) with the ending of The Shadows, and frankly, a lot of people hate Layla. I hated Layla for a long time, so I get that. But I actually was looking forward to this book because I love a tortured hero and I’m all about forbidden romance. I’ve kinda been burning for this pairing for years.

There were things I liked in this story, but a great deal that I didn’t. I’m going to talk about the plot
Carolina Carriço
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*spoilers*

After reading the book :

As I expected I absolutely loved Xcor in this book. I fell in love with wayyyyyy back and I was looking forward to his book and with high expectations. Even though some details in his relationship with Layla wasn't my idea of perfection, it all worked out.
Speaking of the lady of this book, I was never her biggest fan but she managed to surprise me and earn my respect. She was a badass mother and fearless defender of her mate. You did your job well, Layla.

Despite
Lenore
What an unmitigated complete and utter FUBAR of a book.
♥ℳelody
First, that cover? No.

Much better.
(Please don't steal or edit this artwork. Thankies!)

Xcor

Layla

*sigh*

Second, let me start with what I enjoyed and talk about the featured couple since they deserve the praise and attention that other things seemed to have eclipsed and overshadowed them with.

Xcor & Layla
Lovely, sweet, beautiful, honest, brave, fearless. Funny how they have been pitted as the ‘underdogs’ and ‘bad guys’ by both the Brotherhood and readers alike who have hated this couple and yet
Angela
Apr 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
So there must have been some magic sparkle dust in the snow that made every single character act the opposite of what they normally would have. I ain't even mad at the characters for what happened in this book. It's not their fault. It would be the author's fault for this trash. I would be writing all day if I went through all the wrongness here. I don't even want to. I want to pretend it didn't happen. One star for remembering the war and the prophecy.
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
*** WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!***

3.5 Deceitful Chosen Stars!!

Sooooo…..I’m going to break this down by storylines (and there are many) as I did with the last couple of books.

Layla and Xcor
I was waiting what seems like forever for their story, whether you like them or not, or you just wanted to be done with them we waited a loooooong time!! Xcor, admittedly was not good guy, we find out that he suffered as a young boy, teen, and young adult and then throw in the Blood Letter findi
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Apr 24, 2016 marked it as never-ever-e-v-e-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The only happy ending in this book for me would be if both of them died a horrible death. Over and over and over again. Especially Xcor. Over and over. In that case I just might read it.
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
I'd never thought I'd like Layla. She was so bad-ass at some moments. Overall I enjoyed the book.
I don't know where the author is taking V's story, but I'm so intrigued...
Looking forward to the next book!

27/04/2016

I need another m/m in this series. Throe and Saxton would make me happy :D Is it too much to ask for?!...

9/04/2016

Full review to come.
Mónica BQ
Apr 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Actual trash.

I'm not even gonna bother hashing this one out.

A few reviews that mention some of my grievances here, here and here.

After 15 books, plus ten thousand spin-offs it comes as a surprise to me that I think this is where I'm gonna quit it. But enduring verbal and almost physical abuse from the co-parent of your children is where I draw the line with how much I can stand of Ward's blatant mistreatment of women. And I say that while being a huge fan of Qhuinn's character (before this book)
Shawna
3 stars - Paranormal Romance

I'm so conflicted with this review because there were definitely some extremely disappointing, WTF moments worthy of a 1-star review and numerous characters and events that royally pissed me off. It's a real shame Ward's doing such a disservice to her loyal readers/fans by betraying some of the intrinsic principles of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And OMG, Ward's extreme rambling, irrelevant details, and excessive minutiae drove me nuts!

I've honestly never really bee
Elsa Bravante
Le bajo una estrella después de haberlo meditado, me he levantado pensando en ese final absurdo y ridículo.

Pero, ¿qué has hecho Ward?
Estás traicionando lo que tú misma habías creado...
.................................
Imposible hacer una review del libro sin spoilear, así que voy a decir lo mínimo posible.

El libro sigue siendo igual de entretenido que siempre, aunque ya sabemos que la Ward a veces se lía consigo misma, se enrrolla y suelta adjetivos y metáforas a diestro y siniestro que a veces
Maria Clara
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-r-ward
Sinceramente, es una de esas malditas obras de la Ward que podrías diseccionar! Es decir, la historia de Xcor y Layla me ha gustado bastante (de ahí vienen tres estrellitas; ((Las ha escrito mejores))); la de Quinn es para darle a él de lleno en plena cara (¿pero qué estaría fumando esta mujer?), y por último, la de V... Aquí es cuando todaaaas sabemos lo que se avecina...
Jen
I'm going to rate this a 4--4.5 stars
I need to sit on this a bit before I write my review. I have a ton of jumbled thoughts on this one! Of course this book got me to FEEL all the way through it.. jR Ward has always had that ability to get me feeling deeply with her stories! In this one though there was good and bad emotions boiling through me... now how to put it all into words without spoilers! Lol
AJ
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 ‘All hail Layla’ stars!

This book was a real mixed bag for me. Book #15 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, the build up to this love story has been coming for a long time, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Xcor and Layla’s book. There were shocks and surprises, heartbreak, excitement, huge reveals and heart-pounding excitement. Things I loved, and things (people (view spoiler)) I hated, but it was a wild ride, and I could not put it down.

The main focus, of co
Jonetta
Wow. What a crazy, train wreck ride! What else would you expect from the Brotherhood?

I have to come clean and admit I've never been a Xcor fan and have hated Layla's duplicity about her relationship with him. Because these stories have a multitude of storylines, I wasn't concerned about these two characters being the major focus as I was counting on the others to hold my interest. Xcor launched into this series as a cruel and brutal man, no way was there any possibility he could redeem himself i
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5 ★'s

"You have saved me, and the only thing greater than my love for you is my gratitude."

As is the new usual for the BDB books, this story deals with Xcor and Layla's relationship, however, that is only a very small part of the book and there are multiple threads involved.

And that was unfortunate because I really came to like Xcor, someone I didn't really care for since we met him. I just have to say that I love his softer side and his past will break your heart. That doesn't mean that I thi
Bev
Loved this way, way more than I thought I would. Xcor exceeded my expectations as a character, to see him under Layla's unconditional love was fabulous! Loved Wrath, that's one badass mofo for sure and I can't not mention my man-angel Lassiter. I wanted more of him because ..... Lassiter!

Hated Qhuinn, really really hated how Ward has transformed him into a stroppy, hissy fitting little bitch. Maybe if Ward had pulled his character back earlier I might have warmed to him a bit but his "redemption
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Solid 2.75 Stars

Yes, had to change my rating from 3.25 stars :(

Okay.. So I attempted my re-read, I got to chapter 38 and decided I knew exactly how I felt about this book. First, let me start with the odd things that I liked. This won't take long considering there's only one thing that I wasn't totally upset or confused about..

Trez/"Selena"/Therese
I was not happy AT ALL when I learned that after all the heart wrenching Ward caused me in the "Shadows", that she was actually bringing Selena back
Elizabeth (Liz)
Apr 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hana ♡
4 Stars!

To say I was excited about Xcor & Layla's story is an understatement. Ever since Xcor was introduced I have been drawn to his anti-hero, tortured persona, because I knew deep down he was a softie, especially when it came to Layla. Xcor blew me away in this book - he was so sweet and sacrificing. He realized his mistakes and tried to make amends in every way he could. His love for Layla was palpable, and overall he was just amazing.

Layla really proved herself in this story. She always
Does anyone feel slighted by The Chosen? 8 96 Oct 08, 2018 06:42AM
NEED A SERIES LIKE BDB 7 53 Mar 02, 2018 10:08AM
My Vampire Book O...: Black Dagger Brotherhood, for Jessi!! 40 48 Oct 11, 2017 02:02PM
SOS: Serious Over...: [May 2017] "Chosen" Discussion 9 163 May 23, 2017 03:47AM
Around the Year i...: The Chosen, by J.R. Ward 1 14 May 21, 2017 12:36PM
  • Shadow's Seduction (Immortals After Dark, #17; The Dacians, #2)
  • The Darkest Promise (Lords of the Underworld, #13)
  • Defy the Dawn (Midnight Breed, #14)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Into the Fire (Night Prince, #4)
  • Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter, #9)
  • Wildfire (Hidden Legacy, #3)
  • Snared (Elemental Assassin, #16)
  • Born of Vengeance (The League, #10)
  • Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (MacKenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • Blade Bound (Chicagoland Vampires, #13)
  • Immortal Nights (Argeneau, #24)
  • The Farthest Edge (Honey, #2)
  • Dark Carousel (Dark, #26)
J.R. Ward is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of numerous novels, including the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. She lives in the South her family.

Black Dagger Brotherhood (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
  • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
  • Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)
  • Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)
“You’re off the fucking rails, and I’m not having it. Now be a good little sociopath and shut the fuck up while you get taken in for medical treatment.” In” 10 likes
“V sat back on his heels, crossed his arms, and continued to look down at the little bag of vampire. And what do you know. That infant sonofabitch glared right back at him. Vishous” 10 likes