Start by marking “The Crimes of Jordan Wise” as Want to Read:
The Crimes of Jordan Wise

The Crimes of Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise is a mild-mannered accountant with a large San Francisco
engineering firm in the late 1970s. By his own admission, the first
thirty-four years of his life were dull, empty. But that all changes
when he meets and falls in love with Annalise Bonner, an ambitious
young woman who craves excitement, a life on the edge.

With her as the catalyst, Wise concocts and exec
Published June 27th 2006 by Walker Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Crimes of Jordan Wise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crimes of Jordan Wise

Glenn Russell
Feb 08, 2014 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing

This Bill Pronzini novel is a compelling page-turner and will stick with you long after you have read the last page. Why? Because the story not only makes for good crime fiction but is a penetrating meditation on several key philosophical questions: what is the nature of love; what means should we take to realize our dreams; how valuable are such things as friendship, peace of mind and knowing oneself? In the spirit of freshness, my focus will be on how first-person narrator/main character Jorda
Cathy DuPont
Getting to my review...where I write it, here, I glanced and saw a five star review for this book. Good for him! Or her! But no five stars from me, that's for sure. I didn't stop to read the review which I seldom do anyhow but wondered, "what's this dude read besides Pronzini?"

In all fairness, the only two books I've read of Bill Pronzini have been audio so before I write him off, I'm reading one of his books. Maybe it's the read by...the narrator I should be annoyed with.

The story was just ok,
John
Apr 02, 2017 John rated it it was amazing
A beautifully executed tale of a man who takes pride in the three "perfect" crimes he's pulled off.

A writer approaches an elderly white soak in a bar on a Caribbean island and extracts from him the tale of his life, and in particular of the three crimes that enabled him to live here in a subtropical paradise with never a moment's financial worry. Our narrator began as timid, undersexed San Francisco accountant Jordan Wise, who had not even a Walter Mitty ambition in his head before meeting the f
Maddy
May 04, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-reads
RATING: 4.0

Jordan Wise is the stereotypical accountant. A spinster schoolteacher would lead a more interesting life than he does. He's worked for the same corporation for many years; he's the kind of person who is so bland that you can't remember his name three seconds after being introduced. If you had to match his personality to a crayon color, it would be light gray. As the book opens in the present day, Jordan is talking with a journalist and drops the bombshell that he has pulled off three
Q. Kelly
Jan 01, 2012 Q. Kelly rated it really liked it
What Makes a Perfect Murder?

I’ve always wondered if a perfect murder counts if the killer feels compelled to dish all–and then actually dishes all. (For what is probably my favorite “perfect” murder book, check out Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None.”)

Anyway, this book I’m reviewing is “The Crimes of Jordan Wise” by Bill Pronzini. It’s a pretty good perfect-murder book. The protagonist, Jordan Wise, starts with a totally different perfect crime, embezzling. The writing, in first person
Pam
Sep 22, 2007 Pam rated it it was amazing
The Crimes of Jordan Wise by Bill Pronzini
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2006, 231 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1977-2005; San Francisco, St. Thomas, VI
CHARACTERS: Jordan Wise/accountant
COMMENTS: Jordan Wise is a mild-mannered, non-descript accountant for a large firm in San Francisco. He meets Annalise & knows he has to do something daring to have her. He embezzles $ in order to have a future w/ her. They move to St. Thomas but the $ isn't enough for Annalise & life in paradise is fa
Adaire
Dec 22, 2010 Adaire rated it liked it
This was a quick read. It is the dark tale of a man named Jordan Wise who changes his lifestyle and steals money to win back the woman he loves. I liked the story, but could have done without some of the language. The author was very good at creating a mental picture for his readers.
Marion Mockridge
Sep 19, 2013 Marion Mockridge rated it it was amazing
Audiobook narrated by my favorite Richard Ferrone: This is my favorite type of book, written in first person, with great character development, unpredictable plot and an unusual ending. Of course, the narrator makes a big difference. I wish it was a little longer.
Jason
Aug 22, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
This got really close to 4 stars...
Ron Hefner
Jan 08, 2016 Ron Hefner rated it it was amazing
This is without a doubt Pronzini's best standalone novel. The author himself has named it as one of his favorites. He was in peak form when he wrote this.
It's far more than a crime story or a thriller. It raises questions about our true natures and the lives we could have had if we had made different choices.
Jordan Wise may be an embezzler, but he's a compelling character, and we admire his bravery. We're with him all the way.
Don't miss this one--but also, get busy and read all the Nameless Det
AnnieM
Oct 27, 2012 AnnieM rated it liked it
Eh, I'm not sure where to come down on this one. Some male readers may enjoy it, but it lacks the action and thrill of many traditional male focused novels.

I'd agree with the assessment of it being more of a modern noir novel than a traditional novel. The male protagonist isn't particularly likeable. His wife is even less so.

While it was a bit longer than I though it should have been, I finished it and nearly enjoyed it. With that said, I would credit Richard Ferrone in accomplishing this feat
Jenettha Baines
May 17, 2013 Jenettha Baines rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I read it over the course of one week and couldn't put it down. I read it at the gym and stayed on the treadmill and elliptical far pass my time. This man was brilliant even after he met his money hungry girlfriend. Most books and stories have it were the men lose everything because of a woman, but this man didn't. He played his cards well all the way to the end.
Ed
Jul 15, 2015 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Non-series Thriller. Finalist 2006 Hammett Prize.

Thriller - Jordan Wise relates his story in a 28 year flashback. From his table in a Virgin Islands bar, he tells a writer of the three "perfect crimes" he committed, starting in San Francisco in 1977, and how they lead to his life in the Islands.

Dawn
Feb 03, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best Book I've read this year. The developement of the characters was excellent and the crimes were not overdone like some novels. I think in some cases keeping it basic produces the best results
Renee
Mar 27, 2010 Renee rated it liked it
Always loved his Nameless Detective books . This was OK .
SassieFrassie
Feb 04, 2011 SassieFrassie rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Decent. Suspenseful. Mind of the crimimal. Nature of guilt
Tammy Rideout bowers
Mar 07, 2013 Tammy Rideout bowers rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this. I dislike the characters. Storyline us dull. Too much sailing.
Bill
Jan 29, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Good Book!
Eric
Sep 26, 2011 Eric rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Blah. Waste of time and predictable. Don't bother unless you love sailing.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good
Sally Plunkett
Nov 03, 2012 Sally Plunkett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great read, I highly recommend it to anyone.
Angie
Nov 23, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Although this is a dark read , it is an interesting look at the mind of a twisted man . Just a little bit masculine for my taste .
Jim
Feb 03, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Pronzini is a fabulous mystery writer with fascinating characters, good plots and language that's expressive and true to life.
~ Erin
Apr 12, 2010 ~ Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: z-2010
St. Thomas. Fun listen - rum tasting, sunsets, chachaville
Rhodora
Feb 15, 2009 Rhodora rated it liked it
A meek accountant in an engineering firm meets a woman on the edge and commits a crime in order to be with her. Well written. I was able to read it in one day.
Ethan
Jun 08, 2009 Ethan rated it really liked it
This is my first read by Pronzini. It was a fast exciting read. He builds characters without too much detail. It was interesting to see the changes in this man as his life unfolded.
Barbara
Sep 01, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it
Not my favorite but still an interesting read.
Laurie (Kwiltreader)
Laurie (Kwiltreader) rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2014
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2008
Sean Mars
Sean Mars rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Second Mouse (Joe Gunther #17)
  • I Predict a Riot
  • Malice Prepense (Barbara Holloway #3)
  • The Fallen
  • Murder in the 11th House (Starlight Detective Agency #1)
  • A Stranger in the Family
  • The White League
  • The Pull Out Method
  • Strong Passion (The Strong Cowboys of Wilde, Nevada #4)
  • A Century of Great Suspense Stories
  • SOS! I Love You
  • Damnable
  • Take Me (The Connaghers, #1.5)
  • Suspicion of Rage (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #8)
  • A Darkening Stain (Bruce Medway, #4)
  • The Sentimental Traitor (Harry Jones, #5)
  • Dot Dead: A Silicon Valley Mystery (Silicon Valley Mysteries)
  • Spirit Hunter (Bloodline, #3)
Mystery Writers of America Awards "Grand Master" 2008
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1999) for Boobytrap
Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1998) for A Wasteland of Strangers
Shamus Awards Best Novel nominee (1997) for Sentinels
Shamus Awards "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) 1987
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1982) for Hoodwink

Married to author Marcia Muller.

Pseudonyms:
Robert Hart Davis (collab
More about Bill Pronzini...