Start by marking “Smooth Talker: Trail of Death” as Want to Read:
Smooth Talker: Trail of Death

Smooth Talker: Trail of Death

New From New York Times Bestselling True Crime Author Steve Jackson
Three murders. Thirty years of dead ends. Until one rookie investigator began piecing it all together.

One morning in July 1974, Anita Andrews, the owner and bartender at Fagiani’s Cocktail Lounge in Napa, California was found dead in her bar–raped, beaten, and stabbed to death in a bloody frenzy. She’d l
Published April 7th 2016 by WildBlue Press

To ask other readers questions about Smooth Talker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smooth Talker

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonColumbine by Dave Cullen
Best True Crime
1,003 books — 1,458 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
True Crime
620 books — 578 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerity (Val)
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a book about a smooth talking serial killer who is described as being slick. He was also lucky because he managed to get out of jail by getting his 3rd strike status overturned when he should have been locked up for good. Which allowed him to get out in only 12 years and continue his long career of swindling, raping and murdering women. Two of the murders he got away with for many years until they were cold cases, one was more than 30 years, when DNA finally brought him down along with a ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Just purchased this and another true crime book which is a so called shortie on amazon. I had not realised this is a short book as well. never a fan of the shorter true crime books but let's give it a try.
Began on June 3 2016 but apparently did not finish so picked up again yesterday which was December fifth 2016. To then then began another book but now, the third time I am nearly finished.

READING PROGRESS
05/12 marked as: to-read
06/03 marked as: currently-reading
07/08 marked as: to-read
12/06
Stacey
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fans of true crime, this one is not to be missed. A compulsive read and well written.
Brittany
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This audiobook was given by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review via Audiobook Boom

I absolutely adore Kevin Pierce's narration. He is pitch perfect always and especially in the true crime genre is a perfect narrator who provides a great listening experience. There is nothing else that needs to be said about the narration. It's simply spot on.

I had listened to the authors "No Stone Left Unturned" so I was familiar with one of the cases in this book. It
Judy Morris
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. First time author for me. Thank you net gallery for letting me read this great book and author. Great book and it is true crime with a few twists and turns
Charles Reimler
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Author Writer Research & Skills Are Excellent!
Regina
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
** Review of Audio Format **

Only Half of the Story

This book is somewhat incomplete...it deletes entirely any mention of Roy Melanson's early life, where he grew up, what he did, what kind of person he was, anything. Other than that, it is great and follow the timeline of when the murders were solved extremely well. Jackson also does an excellent job of bringing the victims and those left behind to life. I particularly liked his background and follow up on the LeJuene murder. It was so gratifying
Fiona
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
My only complaint would be that the captions on some of the photos reveal something well before it's revealed in the text. Also, if you've just read No Stone Unturned, there's some definite repeating of material, but it's necessary in this book to do it, so it's fine. Just maybe read something else between.
Troy D
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Another great read from Steven Jackson. This world is full of sickos that walk amongst us every day. Hold your loved ones close
Heather
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
True crime story. Very well written.
Andrew Degruccio
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written account of a serial killer/rapist that most people don't even know. This book is fascinating, sad, and compelling. The evolution of forensics is on display in this accounting.
Jerry
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How Many More?

How many more victims did Roy Melanson have.. we will never know. He conned and smooth talked almost everyone he came in contact with.
This book covers 3 women that he killed and after decades was finally convicted of.He is currently serving his first sentence and faces LWOP when it is over. Bad health will probably prevent him from serving many more years, then he can face his Maker. This book held my interest from the first page to the last. I am looking forward to reading Steve
Bettye McKee
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime-books
Charmed to death

Steve Jackson has given us an outstanding account of the serial rapist, serial killer and master liar Roy Melanson. Apparently his victim selection was based purely on opportunity and owed nothing to age, race or gender. He was tried and sentenced for two murders and a third is considered solved and will be tried if it appears there is ever a chance that Melanson might get out of prison.

By the end of the book, I felt like I had been told the whole story. Readers will wonder how m
Jean
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it

This book is based on a true story that took place in 1962, it covers raping, murdering, and robbing women.

It also probes the mind of a sociopath and is not for the faint of heart.

The book also describes how the families of some of the victims tried to cope and survive.

Thankfully DNA helped to bring Justice for the Families.

The Narrator, Kevin Pierce did well.

Note:
Rex
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was hard putting down. Steve Jackson has managed to write a very interesting book that tells the readers about the damages cases like this one has not only to the unfortunate but also to a lot of other people

This is the kind of book that makes you want to learn more about how and why these killings happen

Great book highly recommend

If you want a deeper review please visit my blog www.readingghost.blogspot.dk
Kim
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The murder of a loved one is never easy. This was a real page turner and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. If you like true crime genre you will enjoy. I have read other books by Steve Jackson and he is a very detailed, in depth story teller. Roy Melanson could be your uncle, cousin, or neighbor. I am glad that he is in jail. He was a serial rapist and killer that had a gentle average joe persona. I highly recommend this book.
Lee Husemann
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Roy Menanson was a smooth talking charmer who crisscrossed the country robbing, raping and murdering women. He served some time for various crimes including rape but was always released to continue on with his crime spree. The book also describes how the families of some of the victims tried to cope with their losses while waiting patiently for justice to be served for their loved ones. This is a real page turner and I highly recommend it.
Marlene
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chilling

What a fantastic read! This book wasn't easy to put down once I started. Roy Melanson spent decades killing and raping women all over the country. He is what I call a sociopath. Many crimes he was convicted of, yet he managed to be released and continue to destroy lives. So sad to read about the families and how they coped with the horrors of the death of their loved ones. Excellent read!
Jeff
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very well written true crime. It's thoroughly researched and I like the way Jackson introduces a point then goes back and fills in the background leading up to that point.

Kevin Pierce delivers his customary superb performance. He knows exactly how to read true crime aloud.

NOTE: I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for this unbiased review.
Mary
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good book, frightening story

The murderer is scary. I'm glad he's permanently locked up. The author did a terrific job describing the victims, making their lives real. The killer spread his own brand of terror all over the country. Total psychopath, lots of charm, no feeling.
Ronnie Cramer
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another gripping true crime book from Steve Jackson, this time examining a series of cold cases linked to one perpetrator. Nice to see justice prevail after so many years. So engrossing that it was easy to overlook the many typos.
Theresa
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
True murder.

This man is the biggest monster in any true murder I have ever read. I don't think the total number of his victims will ever be known. The book was well written and in a good chronological order. Will read more by this author.
April
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast."

This true crime drama follows hunt and trial of cold case many years later. DNA use is shown in its development.

The narration was well done.
Pauline
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written account of a rapist/murderer

Very readable story of how sociopaths can appear so "nice" and then rape and murder as soon as you turn your back - scary
Jay
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well-written and frightening story of a "smooth-talking" charming predator and the investigators who put the clues together. Just amazing how evil some people can be.
Carol Hewitt
Laura Walker
Sep 03, 2017
Tom Martin
May 04, 2016
Obsessed with Tru...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Smooth Talker: Trail of Death ~ Steve Jackson 1 4 Jul 27, 2016 09:20AM

• Murder myself, Murder I am.
  • Jeffrey Dahmer: The Gruesome True Story of a Hungry Cannibalistic Rapist and Necrophiliac Serial Killer (Real Crime by Real Killers Book 3)
  • True Crime Stories Volume 10: 12 Shocking True Crime Murder Cases (True Crime Anthology)
  • A Taste For Murder
  • In Colder Blood
  • A Death In California
  • The Killing Season
  • Unnatural Causes (Notorious USA Box Set: Kentucky, Pennsylvania & Ohio)
  • Forever And Five Days
  • Above Suspicion
  • Daddy's Little Secret: A Daughter's Quest To Solve Her Father's Brutal Murder
  • If You Only Knew
  • Cold Storage
  • Perfect Victim
“He writes with both muscle and heart”—New York Times bestselling author Gregg Olsen

New York Times bestselling author and award-winning journalist Steve Jackson has written ten non-fiction books in true crime, history and biography genres; he has also written fourteen crime fiction thrillers for the long-running and Times bestselling "Butch Karp Series" in collaboration with former New York assist