Start by marking “Locust House” as Want to Read:
Locust House

Locust House

In his latest work of fiction, Locust House, San Diego-born author Adam Gnade writes about his homeland in the tradition of regionalists like Sherman Alexie and Willa Cather. Gnade’s California is a place of border clash, of a glimpse of stormy sea from a top coastal hills or rollercoasters, of ratty beach apartments and punk shows. A collaborative release by Three One G a ...more
Published 2016 by Pioneers Press/ Three One G

To ask other readers questions about Locust House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Locust House

Matt Lewis
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: small-press, locals
Burns hot, fast and beautiful, like a lit match to celluloid.
Brook
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really great read that totally took me back to my early 20s, but I wish it would have included a larger variety of perspectives (ie. from band members, people who were renting the house, the cops, etc.) Maybe I just wanted it to be longer. Ha, then again, it's concise nature definitely parallels listening to a song from The Locust.
Michael
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book exemplified everything I loved about growing up with show spaces, The Locust (discovering that extension of punk and chaos that they and others created), and trying to figure out your life (or, in some cases, knowing exactly where it's going). It was quick read, but for good reasons. Much like those shows and that music, I didn't come out unscathed after reading this. And that's a compliment.
Andrew Novak
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Locust House is a novella-length rumination on a time, a place, and a culture. It’s an impressionistic love letter to San Diego’s fringe music scene, circa 2002. It is beautiful, unsettling, and immersive.

Gnade presents readers with a handful of misfit characters who orbit San Diego's gritty noise-punk milieu and frequent the Locust House—a home-turned-concert venue, rented and operated by the members of The Locust during the early 2000s. Some of these characters know each other, some don’t. How
Rosie Penaflor
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin? I sat on this review for the last two days now. I seriously could not form words, but I knew there was something I needed to say about it. Adam Gnade’s books are a fucking treasure. Like Caveworld, Gnade has the ability to connect to his reader’s unlike any other author I’ve come across. It’s gritty, it’s weird, and somehow when I was reading I was taken back to my own crazy, stupid thoughts that I never imagined would ever connect to another person. But they did in Locust ...more
Victors
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fiction
"The crowd pushed. Agnes pushed back." There are the last two sentences of the novella and they totally encapsulate the themes of this book. I miss seeing these bands play.
Jason Crane
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and poignant.
Kate
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A few things about this book:
1) I read it in one sitting. It's that kind of book. And yes, it's a novella so it isn't overly lengthy at all, but mostly that's convenient because it's paced like one big breath so it's a story you want all at once regardless of how many pages it takes up.
2) At some point in your life it is likely that you were in your late teens/early twenties. (Or you are not there yet which is okay and the book is good no matter how old you are but it will likely feel different
Jessie McMains
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to read this book prior to its release, because Adam asked me to write a blurb for it. Here's what I wrote:

"Locust House reads like James Joyce and E. Annie Proulx had a lovechild and dropped him into the punk scene of early ‘00s San Diego, and then 15 years later he wrote a novella. Adam Gnade has managed to pack more energy, story, and feeling into this novella than you will find in most full-length novels. It’s as though he’s written the literary equivalent of the 45-second
Chad Deal
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Locust House hits fast and hits hard. It lights up the weirdcore receptors like a couch fire smacked with gasoline. It's almost horrifying. It's peering over the edge. It's punk but grown up, espousing hindsight (nostalgia is too goopy a word; Adam Gnade channels more of a time-tempered empathy) into the abrupt nexus of Golden Hill, San Diego, 2002. Locust House is a crossroads. It's a point of departure. It's a haunted fucking mansion and these are its ghosts. You may well be one, too.
Kane Bergstrom
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Traveling into and through this book felt like walking through a story of a new friend at work. With every turn I felt I could relate a story of my own in my own music scene growing up. Adam Gnade gives a really good first hand glimpse of his specific time era and various characters coming of age. Relatable and lovable characters. I want to time travel and experience the music scene of everyone's youth.
Lora
May 20, 2016
Nov 07, 2016
Niklas Vestberg
Apr 27, 2017
Adam Gnade’s (guh nah dee) work is released as a series of books and "talking songs" that share characters and themes; the fiction writing continuing plot-lines left open by the self-described “talking songs” in an attempt to compile a vast, detailed, interconnected, personal history of contemporary American life. His books and "talking records" are released by Pioneers Press and Three One G.