Start by marking “The Hostage of Glenorchy (Highland Ballad #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hostage of Glenorchy (Highland Ballad #1)

The Hostage of Glenorchy

(Highland Ballad #1)

Scotland 1556

After overhearing a plot to kill Mary Queen of Scots, Abby Gordon is sent from Paris to the Laird of Glenorchy's home at Kilchurn Castle for safety. Disguised as a boy, she becomes a lute player among the household musicians where she encounters the laird's hostage, the attractive Iain MacGregor, a pawn in the laird's struggle for power in Scotland's turbulen
Kindle Edition
Published April 20th 2016 by An Tig Beag Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage of Glenorchy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage of Glenorchy

B.A. Morton
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m a great fan of Kristin Gleeson’s work, in particular the way she effortlessly combines the culture, customs and language of the period with highly entertaining historical adventures.
The Hostage of Glenorchy is no exception. In this vibrant tale, we follow Abby a talented young lute player, as she flees 16th century Paris disguised as a boy, and embarks on a journey of intrigue, spiced by scheming, politics, danger and romance. With knowledge of a plot to assassinate Mary Queen of Scots, will
Joan
Jan 14, 2018 added it
Marie Birkbeck
Right off the hop, the title does not aptly represent the content of the book. Only a few sentences were said about the hostage, and how he came to be at Castle Kilchurn - the rest of the story concentrated on Abby who disguised herself as a boy. An easy read, which in turn allowed the reader to get engrossed in the story and wonder what in the world the young "lad" is going to get into next! It was fast paced and full of mystery, intrigue, murder and of course what novel would be complete witho ...more
Patricia
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
***WARNING*** This is not a stand-alone book! An interesting story with several well-drawn characters but an abrupt, unsatisfactory ending. This is the first book in a series so perhaps issues will be resolved in book two.

Gabrielle "Abby" Gordon is sent from Paris to Kilchurn Castle in Scotland for safety and to serve as a companion to the ailing wife of the laird. All she wants is play her lute but knows that a woman can never be considered as a musician so she disguises herself as a young man.
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this as I love middle ages, especially UK settings but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't think the character development was there and though the storyline was ok, it wasn't really unique or anything. It just seemed flat. Your basic girl pretends to be a boy story. I included it in Historical-fiction category because actual historical figures are in the story but I think the actual story is totally made-up.
I don't think I can really add anything to the synopsis alre
Virginia Tican
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a stand alone novel. This is just the first book, there are two more (I think). A saga adventure that takes Gabrielle or Abby from being a musician (lute player) from the French court to the highlands of Scotland. Overhearing a plot to assassinate the Queen of Scots by poison, Abby was sent by her father to Scotland for her own protection. Alas, there was also danger there in several shapes and forms. The story is full of thrills, mysteries, betrayals, religious zealots, spies and all the ot ...more
Cyndi
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ends in the middle

This could have been a 5 star book, until it ended. There is no closure to the story. No indication as to the safety of the main character. At one moment she's escaping and then it just ends in the middle. It would be different if there was an indication as to where she would go. There ore other books listed as pre-order from the offer, but no clue if they continue the story. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed what I read, it ended in the middle. I probably won't read this author a
Dean McIntyre
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just finished THE HOSTAGE OF GLENORCHY. I usually enjoy reading Scottish-themed historical fiction, and do so often. This is the first of a three-volume series. It is, unfortunately, the literary equivalent of a television series' end-of-season cliff hanger episode (think "Who Shot J.R.?" and Dallas). The story is OK, as are characters, and especially the flavor of historic Scottish culture. But there is no resolution with the abrupt ending. No answers. Just a "stay tuned" and buy the next book. ...more
Jean
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few !

Worth it's stars for being one of the few Scottish spin offs that is peopled by could have been of their time and are not mearly adopting a phony accent and wearing fancy dress.
There is more atmosphere here and the historical setting and references make sense , a nice change from the often placing "Some where in the Highlands" at "Sometime in the past "
I enjoyed being where I was and when so much that the quite frothy story line had me several chapters into book two before writin
Tocci
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abruptly Ended

The story goes on with some interesting events. Then it abruptly ends with no explanation of the mysteries contained within the events. Of course, the reader is referred to the next installment. The best part is not in the book itself, but in the historical summary in the ending notes. These are not woven into the book. I hate it when author's employ such ploys to get readers for subsequent books!
Tess Ailshire
I knew when I started this book it was part of a series, obviously. Still, I expected it to do something -- to tell a complete story in itself. Instead, I was left at the end wondering not only "what's next" but "what?" The narrative simply stopped.

It was not strong enough to make me want to read further. Perhaps if Book 2 came available on one of the free sites, but even then it's only a maybe.
Terrie L Winkates
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable historical novel

Feisty, musically gifted young woman ahead of her time, over hears a plot to poison Mary Queen of Scotts. She leaves the French court in disguise and finds herself jumping from the frying pan into the fire stuck in a feud between rival Scottish clans. Plenty of adventure, beautiful music and a little romance.
Purple Lorikeet
This was a pretty enjoyable historical fiction book. Abby, the female protagonist dresses as a young man in the early part of the book, which isn't terribly uncommon in these sorts of books. I've read enough gender benders to wonder how the woman/girl pulls this off so easily. So many don't address a couple aspects that would be important but at least one issue is addressed here.
Jan Herman
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cliff Hanger

Quite often I have read books that made me want to read another book by that author. This is not that case, in this book I was left right at a critical point in the plot and it just ended. I don't know how to handle that. It was a good story until it just abruptly ended.
Angie Peoples
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Book

I thoroughly enjoyed this historical Scottish book. It had great imagery, plot, and characters. I’m anxious to read the rest of the series as this book ended with a cliff hanger and I don’t really enjoy abrupt endings to books. There were some grammatical errors as well so instead of five stars, I gave it four.
Janet Wild
Good read

I enjoyed the story back ground research was great and tied in well with the tale. Story stops abruptly in the middle of the 'escapes' of both the hostage and the musician, which is most annoying
Carol Greenwood
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who was truly the hostage?

This book has so many twist and turns that your head is confused as to what is truly going on in the story. What is Gabriel's true aim? Does she merely want the opportunity to play her instrument, or is there more to gain?
Mindi
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue

Abby is sent to Laird Campbell's to keep her safe after she over hears a plot to kill Queen Mary of Scotland. She's supposed to go to be a companion to the lairds wife but Abby has other ideas and poise s as a young lad and that's when trouble finds Abby.
Meredith
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I would give this book a 4 if it were indeed a whole book. These book series hook you with a cliff hanger after a mere 270 pages. The Author did a great job, it was an interesting historical romance.
Gina Hewitt
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing read.

I love historical mysteries and this one kept me engaged from page one. Great character development and plot line. I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Wayne McKirdy
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting read. But it hardly should have been called an ending. The end of the chapter, maybe. But this is apparently a longer book than she could put in one book, so she just chopped it off, left it dangling. Guess I'll still give her a 5 star tho.
Lois
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Action

The Hostage of Glenorchy was exciting especially after the midpoint. I didn’t like how it finished not knowing if the two loves would be reunited... Well written and I liked the characters.
Anne-Marie Webster
Don't leave me hanging!

Enjoyed the tale, but the story leaves you hanging. I guess there is no other option but to continue on to book two in the series. I hope it's worth the pursuits. Will keep you posted.
Jacey Phillips bouler
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Abby is a wily young lady and its good that she is considering some of the situations and people she encounters. Highly recommend this book.
Dan
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just another bodice-ripper.
The plot to kill the queen is just a sidelight - very light.
Mary
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Really lame ending
Reina
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. It had some interesting political information, and the characters were fairly well developed.
kattie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hostage

I loved this story, I recommend everyone to read this book ,I look forward to reading more of her books. Kattie
Lynn
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally different book for me, and, so enjoyed it, I've bought the 2nd book,
Tracey Macdonald weston
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining book - enjoyed enough to read the next 2. Loved the characters.
  • The Field of Reeds (Imhotep #4)
  • Border Bride (Border Trilogy I, #1)
  • The House of Five Fortunes (Bold Women of the 19th Century #3)
  • Mask of Duplicity (The Jacobite Chronicles #1)
  • The Secrets of Ivy Garden
  • Dancing with the Ferryman
  • The Equal of God: Book 1 An Irish Family Saga: An Irish Family Saga Before and After the Irish Famine
  • Dark Birthright
  • A King Ensnared: A Historical Novel of Scotland
  • Far Horizons (The Emigrants Trilogy, #1)
  • See Me (Simply Supernatural, #1)
  • Botticelli's Muse
  • Highland Storms (Kinross Saga, #2)
  • My Laird's Castle (My Laird's Castle, #1)
  • God's Lions - The Dark Ruin
  • The Last Pearl
  • Secrets and Lies (A Dewey Webb Mystery Book 3)
  • Fanny Bower Puts Herself Out There
Originally from Philadelphia, Kristin Gleeson lives in Ireland, in the West Cork Gaeltacht, where she teaches art classes, plays harp, sings in an Irish choir and runs two book clubs for the village library. She holds a Masters in Library Science and a Ph.D. in history, and for a time was an administrator of a national denominational archives, library and museum in America. Later, she served as a ...more

Highland Ballad (3 books)
  • The Mists of Glen Strae (Highland Ballad #2)
  • The Braes of Huntly (Highland Ballad #3)