Start by marking “Weird. Dark” as Want to Read:
Weird. Dark

Weird. Dark

This is an alternate cover edition. The original ISBN is 1523255277,

Published January 5th 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (January 5, 2016) (first published September 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Weird. Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird. Dark

Start your review of Weird. Dark
Meigan
Review coming.

**Many thanks to the author for providing a copy in exchange for my honest opinion.
Kelly Rickard
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Four tales from Weird. Dark. Exactly what it says weird and dark. Four very different tales. Ranging from deep dark grieve and despair to saving the world. The talent of an author is measured by how much you can empathise with the characters and this is Highly Emotional reading. This is read by the author Luke Smitherd who also co-hosts 'Are you sure' podcast which is how I found out about this author. My favourite tale was the first one 'My name is Mister Grief' but all four are enjoyable and ...more
Todd Kopacz
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

Like all his books,totally original and unlike anyone else. Both thought provoking and macabre.Always a great read.
One of my favorite authors.Keep up the good work!

Adam
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Weird. Dark' is a more eclectic little collection that the title might suggest. That said, one thing I enjoy about Smitherd's writing is that you know things are going to get weird and/or dark, but you never know in quite which ways or to what degrees.

'The Man on Table Ten' could be a sketch towards 'A Head Full of Knives' or 'The Physics of the Dead' without all the cosmological world-building. It gnaws at the same existentialist bone as 'He Waits' - namely, that we are thrown into this world,
Paul
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A great collection of books collated here. The best being "My Name is Mister Grief", with the short story "The Crash" coming a close second. The weakest story for me was "The Man On Table Ten" but to be honest - all of Luke's books are a pleasure to read. He knows how to tell good yarn, and he has a great imagination as you rarely know how the stories are going to end. One of my favourite authors.
wayley101
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this stuff

I am totally hooked on this author. Stories are so out of this world that they provide great escapism. Keep them coming !!
Craig Schatzman
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting

First book of short stories I've read. Luke has opened a new genre for me. I enjoyed TMOTT the most being that I work in the service industry.
Jameson Skaife
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of stories by Luke. Interesting premises with great twists.
Isis
I would like to thank Luke Smitherd for a copy of this e-book to review. Though I received this for free, that has no impact upon the honesty of my review.

Goodreads Teaser (Abbreviated): "COLLECTING THREE OF LUKE SMITHERD'S BOOKS; HOLD ON UNTIL YOUR FINGERS BREAK, THE MAN ON TABLE TEN, AND MY NAME IS MISTER GRIEF, PLUS EXCLUSIVE BONUS STORY THE CRASH, UNAVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE!

Luke Smitherd is bringing his unique brand of strange storytelling once again, delivered here in an omnibus edition
Ripley
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
Luke Smitherd has done it again. These are 4 tales of horror and suspense that show how far the human psyche can be pushed before it breaks.

1. I Am Mr. Grief
Mr Grief

Jerry and Robert are as different as can be, but they have been best friends since college. They've been brought closer together by their shared losses and grief over the death of their wives just a few years apart. Robert shows up at Jerry's wife's funeral looking like a new man. He tells Jerry of a mysterious man who helped him
Emma
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Luke Smitherd before picking up this book - my partner likes to try and find me books that are unusual or that I have never heard of; a tradition that began when she picked up a copy of John Dies at the End for me and I instantly fell in love with it - books like David Wong's and Smitherd's are what make me so glad for that tradition.

The types of stories contained within Weird. Dark. are probably easiest to describe as a cross between The Twilight Zone, Black Mirror and
Joanne
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of three short stories. Each of them makes you ask yourself what you would do if you were in these situations. The answers aren't easy. The decisions made can be questionable, but that is what makes these stories so relatable. The characters are just like us. They are human, with all the good and bad that brings. We try to do the right things, but sometimes things don't turn out how we expected.

1. Hold on Until Your Fingers Break asks the question: How far would you go to
Melinda
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trio of Stories Showcases Smitherd's Talent

The first story, "Mr. Grief" and the third, "The Man at Table Ten" illustrate Smitherd's talent for taking an ordinary situation and plausibly twisting them into something that is riveting, creepy, threatening, imaginative, dark and unique.

Smitherd's stories all exhibit his unique style. Compelling is too weak an adjective to describe his writing - once the weirdness starts, each story demands to be read. It is simply too difficult to stop, and of
Katie Regan
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of dark, urban sci-fi short stories is a delight. Each story, plus a sneak peak exclusive, is an engrossing tale of creepy intrigue. In his usual Hitchcockian style, Smithered spins up drama, and psychological suspense at every turn, leaving the reader to ponder, along with the characters, What if?

I loved this anthology. Not too scary, but just a perfect amount of chilling tension. As someone fascinated by human behavior, I appreciate the way Smitherd allows us inside of his
jamie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Weird Dark grabbed my attention with the first story and held on to it through the last one. I discovered this author by accident when I purchased The Stoneman and have yet to be disappointed with any of his writings. Being a new mom I don't have the time like I used to have to sit and read for hours but I do like the audiobook version so I can listen whIle my 3 month old son is napping and sleeping and I'm catching up on house or laying in bed myself for the night. It's a wonderful ...more
Mark Goodwin
Jul 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
For me this was a truly bad read and I gave up reading it halfway through. Something I don't normally do. Mr Grief started OK but then the narration got bogged down in a boring monologue that went on and on - all tell and no action. Somehow, I struggled on.

Onto the next story: "The Crash" a mercifully short story.

And then the killer, "Hold on until your fingers break" It started well and then it got bogged down in a boring monologue ... you know the rest. Life is too short, I'd rather snap my
Audrey Parker
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another mindfeck from Mr Smitherd

This collection of stories is really pretty good, I'm definitely reminded of SK as I read but that is a compliment to LS. I really liked this book, some stories more than others, hence the four not five twinkly stars. The Crash was probably my least favourite but really because it is very short and leaves far too many unanswered questions for my liking. TMOTT was an intriguing delve into sci-fi and I thoroughly enjoyed Tom and Terrys apocolit story (especially
Jim Brown
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2016
Excellent group of stories.

Wow this was worth the time. These four stories are great. They maybe short stories but they pull you in and have you on the end he fully engrossed in the characters. The characters are believable and you feel what the author wants you to feel for them. You are holding your vehicle breath while reading feeling the anxiety that the character feels. All of these are just fantastic. All I can say is this book is worth what ever you spend on it. Yes I will be telling my
Kristine
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Weird. Dark. By Luke Smitherd is a free .mobi ebook offered to me by the author.

Intensely moving and emotive, it is a world away from his previous series - In the Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You - where he explores love and companionship through humor. This time, Smitherd unfolds the concept of staying alive after losing someone you love, which sometimes hits perilously close to home in its use of raw pathos and teeth-gritting fury.
Jeanne Clement
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, i'm officially addicted

Just can't get enough of Mr. Smitherd....have spent the last few days tearing through his books, not even realizing I'd missed meals and other mundane things. He takes your imagination to the next level, and the next...I am a Smithereen, caught in his net...
Terry  (TBC)
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I've already read 3 of the stories in this book, but downloaded for the 4th! I loved it, random, dark & again right up my street!
I will continue reading Luke books as long as he stays this bizarre! not true Sci fi, not true horror, genre of its own.
a crash happens, a phone call, who's talking to who? blue runnnnn
Luisa
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
i won a copy of this book in the good reads givaway

and i enjoyed it,
it does exactly you the title suggests, its a book of 4 short stories that are wired and slightly dark, ranging from stories of death, to time travel,
Carolyn McBride
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was the oddest, but most gripping collection of tales I've ever read. In a good way. Sad, but good, if that makes any sense at all. My mind is reeling, they were all so...different. But so, so well-done.
Sheryl
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Always, Luke Smitherd Delivers Nightmare Fodder

If your mind likes to wallow in horrific layers of possibilities, read Luke Smitherd. If you don't know the significance of being a Smithereen, you're not reading the author remarks after the story.
Rob
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A couple of novella and short stories that, if truth be told, might have been better in a longer format. That's a plus point.
Lynda Engler
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Glad I discovered Luke Smitherd. What a refreshing new voice in fiction! Also really loved The Stone Man, and In the Darkness That's Where I'll Know You.
Elisa
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The title is self-explanatory: four weird and dark stories that reminded me of The Outer Limits (The Twilight Zone was before my time). All the stories are equally entertaining.
shannon  Stubbs
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Some of these stories had my head scratching in the end. Like The Crash. What just happened to that poor woman? Very interesting and at some points a little creepy.
Kev
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 very good short stories by an author I'm really enjoying reading, or should I say listening to, as I got the audiobook. interesting, well written characters in weird situations.
Berg Norcross
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book by a good friend and I'm glad that I read it. Very good read.

• A Memory of Mankind: (This Alien Earth Book 2)
  • The Paths Between Worlds (This Alien Earth #1)
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • The Reddening
  • The '86 Fix: A 1980s Time Travel Novel
  • Frank: The True Story that Inspired the Movie
  • The Picture On The Fridge
  • Four and Twenty Blackbirds (Eden Moore, #1)
  • Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore, #3)
  • Behold! Oddities, Curiosities and Undefinable Wonders
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Sticky Fingers
  • The Resurrectionists
  • Dread: A Series of Short Horror Stories for Adults
  • The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies
  • The Wrath of Vajazzle (Space Team, #2)
  • In the Night Wood
Born under a Derbyshire sky, to the sounds of a doctor saying "I know they all look bad fresh out of the oven, but bloody hell..."

Professional writer; singer and guitarist, darts enthusiast, workaholic suffering from chronic procrastination (conflict!), comics nerd.

If you like my stuff, please leave a nice star rating, and tweet/post a status about it. You'll be doing me a bigger favor than I can