Start by marking “Far From the World We Know” as Want to Read:
Far From the World We Know

Far From the World We Know

How far must you run to escape the past?

Laura Baker has just moved to the small Texas town of Nelson for a life of solitude and recovery after a traumatic event that has scarred her irreversibly. But her chosen isolation is difficult to maintain after she meets Tess Douglas, the charming editor of the town paper. Tess is determined to break down the walls Laura has built
ebook
Published April 15th 2016 (first published April 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Far From the World We Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far From the World We Know

Start your review of Far From the World We Know
Lex Kent
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f, romance
This was just OK. It's was written well, Harper Bliss obviously is a talented author, the book just didn't really go anywhere. One character was broken down and dealing with her last abusive relationship. The other was an overly excited bubbly woman with a perfect life (except for being single) and perfect family. They were such opposites, that it was difficult to picture them together. I didn't really feel the chemistry at all. And the relationship was very one sided. One character seeming in ...more
Jo reece
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

It was alright... I did enjoyed the story, but there was no chemistry at all between the MC. There just 2 polar opposites
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
By far my favorite Bliss book to date. Right up front I’ll let you know that this is a romance. It is NOT erotica. There are a couple very tasteful sex scenes, but this story is far from being about sex.

Laura has just moved to a small town in Texas after a devastating event that occurred with her ex. She is almost immediately spotted by fellow small town lesbian, Tess, who immediately comes off too strong for Laura’s liking; given that she is nursing a very, very, very broken heart. As well as
Les Rêveur
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favourite
Far From the World We know By Harper Bliss

Laura fled Chicago after a life changing and traumatic event that has left her life in turmoil. She literally bumps into Tess. Tess is attracted to Laura for the moment she see's her but Laura isn't interested in anything more than friendship. Tess knows what she feels and isn't ready to give up on Laura .....

This book had me hooked from the start. The story had an awesome twist and identified a rather large issue between Laura and her former life.
Netty
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually really enjoy Harper Bliss books. She wrote one of my favorite books of all time...Once in a Lifetime. Her characters are usually very well developed, the plot lines interesting and the sex scenes hot.
Having said that, this one didn't really do it for me. In fact, I read this several days ago but didn't have time to write the review. I had to go back and skim because I honestly didn't remember the book one way or the other.
So, It wasn't horrible-because I remember those. Nor was it
Corporate Slave
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Definitely not my kinda book! I gave it 2 stars because no one can deny that Harper bliss writing style is just amazing! Other than that, the story was very boring, characters had 0 chemistry, story was not believable at all.. One woman chasing another for the first half of the book for no reason whatsoever!Unfortunately I couldn't wait for this book to end so I start reading another gone.
Ty
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I read three Harper Bliss books in a row this weekend. This was probably my favorite of the three. All three were well written, all three told plots I’ve not encountered often, and all three were fairly enjoyable. But I also had a really hard time connecting with the characters in all three.
Dee
This story is told in first person present tense, which is not my preferred style of narration but when done right I can cope. Harper gets it right, although I will suffice to say in this story, at times both heroines sounded so much the alike I had to remind myself who was who.

I’ve read numerous books by Harper, she most definitely knows how to tell a compelling tale. The story of Laura and Tess is a long slow burn, which is understandable given the horrendous event Laura lived through prior to
Tara
Far From the World We Know is beautifully written, with perfect pacing, and a story that is interesting and emotional. The sex is very well written, but it’s not overly erotic, which was exactly right for this book. Harper Bliss doles out information about Laura and her past so carefully that to talk about it would spoil the experience of reading the story (so much so, in fact, that I was tempted to turn in a review that just said “Don’t read anything about it; just read the book!”). I’m ...more
Sarah Hobbs
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After immersing myself within a few of Bliss's novellas I wanted to test Harper and read one of her full novels, and I must admit I was not disappointed. When looking through Harper's other books this one peaked my interest, hence my reasoning for choosing it.

Click here to read my full review of this book. :)
Marissa R Van Ryzin
Finally, a good lesbian romance

It was very nice to get to read a nice lesbian romance without an utterly ridiculous, contrived situation. Yes, one of the characters does have an unusually dark past, but it's not unbelievable (except that friends and family didn't know). Also, Tess hits the nail on the head by joking that her and Laura are the only two eligible lesbians in town. These plot points can be chalked up to twists of fate, especially as you get to know the infectious Tess. She is by
Kitty McIntosh
Laura tunes up in a small town in Texas, running from a past that she can’t get over. As she tries to slowly rebuild her life, a woman whose enthusiasm and joy knows no bounds enters her life. However hard she tries to keep her at arms length, Tess isn’t about to give up. Will Laura ever let anyone in again? Will Tess have the patience to wait?

This was a truly moving story, full of emotion and love. I ached for Laura as she attempted to find a way to live again. I wanted her to find the
monica.b.czuba
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far from the World We Know

Another great story from author Harper Bliss..This time about two different women.One who has moved to a small town following the death of her wife but also to stay with her aunt Molly who has moved to a nursing home. Laura is a graphic designer but is struggling with it. Then she meets Tess who bumps into her with her shopping trolley and true to get her story but Laura doesn't want to know .Now the story really. begins. covers a number of issues that are dealt with
Kim
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've gone on a bit of a Harper Bliss kick lately, and I think Far From the World We Know is the best of her books that I've read so far. I feel she has created very relatable characters in Tess and Laura, especially Tess. What woman in the lesbian world hasn't seen a beautiful woman and prayed "Please God, let her be a lesbian", and then done the internal (or sometimes external) happy dance when it turns out she is on the team. I like Tess' family, and especially enjoyed the dynamic between ...more
Sam
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Amanda
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chanced upon Harper's books via a free read and have been devouring them as I can afford them. Harper's characters are real, honest and I love reading her work. This one hit a little close to home regarding some similarities to Laura and the things you go through when a partner is cruel. I loved the build up to Laura & Tess and their trials and tribulations as they navigated their way through life. We need more people like Rachel & Tess in this world and more parents like the ...more
Kindle Girl
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A short story and slow burning romance that sometimes was too exhausting... but I liked.
The writing is always good (because were talking about ms. Harper Bliss, please), but I think she rushed in the ending, didnt focus on Tess ( <3 ) and touched in a very superficial way a dark and super taboo subject that is abusive relationship.

Although... I liked. Its a great book to read in one straight day when you dont have nothing to do.
Jean
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Harper Bliss Masterpiece

What an amazing storyteller Harper is. This is a "slow burn" romance but with so much in the story it grabs you and won't let go. Honestly, the pace is perfect for this story.
I wish I had more adjectives to describe how remarkable it is, the way the story weaves it's way around your heart just like loves weavers its way around the hearts of Laura and Tess. The sign of a truly great author.
Ginger Miller
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

I did really like this book. Unfortunately Harper Bliss spoiled me with the very first book of hers that I read. "In the Distance There is Light". I compare every book to that one and each one disappoints me more. My fault not hers. She is wonderful. However after reading the best nothing else will do. I was spoiled and cannot shake it off. Bliss is great. This book is pretty darn good but I can't shake a sense that every book of hers will leave me searching for something more. Again
Glynnis Haynes
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blissful Read

I really did enjoy reading this book. It made me realize a lot of things about myself and my relationships. Laura's parents made me think of my own parents, and how they would respond to my coming out. I've also been in an abusive relationship, so it made Mr reflect on my past. Thank goodness for the love of a good woman.
Lauren Burns
3.5 stars. Enjoyable read. Just felt that Tess' character was a bit on the two dimensional side. I would have like to see her fleshed out a bit better. Loved how supportive her family was though. Also really liked how the book portrayed a healthy relationship (and how to get there after an unhealthy relationship). Added bonus = there's a kitten in the book! Yay for Socks!
Maz Tucker
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. This is a little different to some of Harper’s books, it does not have loads of graphic sex scenes. It deals with a touchy subject of spousal abuse and the ramifications of that in later life. It is the story of a young woman learning to trust again, and finding her true soul mate.
Eydie2
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, a different writing for Harper. I love the fact that our dear Harper wrote an American novel.. And it was truly enjoyed. Great work, Harper.

Very good book, a different writing for Harper. I love the fact that our dear Harper wrote an American novel Way to go Harper, Good work to a talented author.
Helen
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

I love the main characters in this story. Laura had had many problems and Tess was just what she needed. This story is well written with nice love scenes and a great ending.
Patricia OHara
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely and deep story

Once again you have written a story that has an abundance of ups and downs that lead to a very warm and lasting romance. Thank you and please keep giving us your readers wonderful stories like this.
Chloe
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

Fantastically written (as always with Harper) and a brilliant story that delves deep into the affects of domestic abuse, and highlights the fact that this can happen in any relationship. Would highly recommend.
Gisella
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow just wow! What an emotional ride this story took me on. I enjoyed every moment of this story from the emotional world wind to the submission to a powerful love. Excellent read and definitely going to be on my reread list!
Mandy 'Hammie'
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

One of my favourite authors. This book tells the story about abuse, loss and finding love again. It's a beautiful book. I will recommend this book as a quick read as I devoured it.
Janice
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I can't believe I didn't review this book the first time I read it. I'm glad I have the chance to now.

This is a typical Harper Bliss book. In that it is well-written and draws you in fully. No cookie cutter characters or plots.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Shot at Love (The Village Romance, #1)
  • A Taste Of Love (The Village Romance, #2)
  • Coming Home
  • Living
  • Reservations of the Heart
  • The Arrangement (Another Love #1)
  • Beautiful Dreamer
  • Beyond the Skyline
  • The Heat of Summer
  • Hart & Stocker
  • If the Shoe Fits
Harper Bliss is a best-selling lesbian romance author. Among her most-loved books are the highly dramatic French Kissing and the often thought-provoking Pink Bean series. She is the co-founder of My LesFic, a weekly newsletter offering discount deals on lesbian fiction.

Harper lived in Hong Kong for 7 years, travelled the world for a bit, and has now settled in Brussels (Belgium) with her wife and
“To my relief, Laura laughs. “It’s the same everywhere. Most lesbian bars in Chicago closed years ago. And that’s in a city of almost three million. Gay bars aplenty, though I hear their number is dwindling as well, but lesbian bars just can’t seem to stay afloat.” “It’s because we’re cheap dates.” “And there’s too much on television.” “And the cat isn’t going to feed itself,” I add, enjoying this moment so much because it tells me we are still friends. The awkwardness of having asked Laura on a date has passed.” 0 likes