Start by marking “Loud and Clear” as Want to Read:
Loud and Clear

Loud and Clear

Jaxon is getting by fine, severe dyslexia or not. Being a cab driver means he doesnt need to read much, and the job has its perks. The pay isnt bad, the people can be interesting, and having memorized the city streets keeps him from feeling too stupid.

When he picks up Caleb, a quiet fare in a nice suit, Jaxon doesn't think anything of it. Then he ends up driving Caleb home
Published May 23rd 2016 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Loud and Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loud and Clear

Start your review of Loud and Clear
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Welcome to the world of published authors, Aidan Wayne! I, for one, was NOT expecting much (yeah, I've been burned by newbie authors time and time again), but Aidan Wayne really delivered with a sweet, well-written novella.

I've mentioned this before in a number of reviews, but I'm a HUGE sucker for a stuttering MC. Stuttering runs in my family, and my brother has been in speech therapy his entire life to deal with his stuttering issues. I have a serious weak spot for a stutterer, and I know
SheReadsALot
3.75 Hearts--Disabilities are not defects.

Because they're not.

I jumped at the chance to take a chance on new author, Aidan Wayne after reading the blurb. And this story was more than either man's disability, it was more about letting someone in when you've had to fight harder to make your place in this world. This is a slow burn romance and more about opening yourself when you've learned it's better to be closed off...but there is something about the other man that made them give a chance.
Sheziss
This one hit too close to home.

This:

I spent my whole life being told I was stupid because I couldnt talk well. They saw the disability, not me, but in the end I got past it. I hate that you never got past it.

And this:

Think about your accomplishments, Caleb had said. What youve been able to do despite not being able to read.

No, Im not dyslexic nor a stutter, but I felt so related to these words they were almost dedicated to me.

There was this psychologist in my school who manipulated my tests
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

This embodies my love for insecurity and doubt all tied up in disabilities gone both ways, producing a really sweet poignant happy ever after novella.

If that rewarding HEA is something you're craving, I dont think one can go wrong with this story about two men whove been misunderstood and judged all their lives and finally, find in each other, acceptance and unconditional love.

Exceptionally heartwarming (though sadly missing on the explicit), this still comes highly recommended!
Meags
4 Stars

Loud and Clear is an absolutely delightful read.

The writing is smooth, the setup is fun, and the character dynamics are unique.

Jaxon is a cab driver with severe dyslexia and Caleb is a suit with an acute speech impediment. When one man cant read and the other can barely speak, youd think communication would be tricky but this cabbie and his new regular fare make it work!

Jaxon and Caleb just click, sharing an unspoken connection and a lifetime of personal experiences that help them
CrabbyPatty
Wow, I'm impressed that Loud and Clear is Aidan Wayne's first book. It's a lovely story and I'm looking forward to reading more from this new author.

The plot is simple - Caleb, a successful executive in a demanding marketing job, needs a cab ride home every Tuesday night from the bar, due to a work-mandated evening of drinking and corporate "bonding." Jaxon, the cab driver who picks him up weekly, is dyslexic and cannot read well, believing himself to be "dumber than a box of rocks" (yet he
Elena
A very sweet, warm and upbeat read! Even though both MCs have their disability issues, the story is heartwarming and very optimistic.
Just what I needed right now! ;)

It reminded me a lot of Speechless - where both MCs struggled to communicate and make the best of their lives, despite the serious problems they faced.

Aidan Wayne is totally new to me but I'll definitely be looking into some more books by this Author.

Recommended!!!
Karla
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

I love it when I find these random reads!
This was a short novella about two guys that are imperfect put perfect for each other.
Jaxon is a cab driver and has dyslexia, he meets Caleb as a passenger of his cab. whose also successful and has high paying job, but has a speech problem, he stutters, and so he starts to write notes to Jaxon. But Jaxon has difficulty reading them do to his dyslexia and so there lays their dilemma. They have a hard time communicating at the beginning but
Ariana
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

Absolutely fabulous novella. One of the best Ive come across.
Its cute and warm without being cloyingly sweet, it felt real, but most of all it has got a very serious message:
Dont write people with a handicap (like illiteracy or stuttering) off as stupid. Shockingly and horribly enough some people do that. I find it really hard to take.
Caleb and Jaxon show what its like to overcome a huge hurdle every single day. Their romance really touched my heart.

Totally recommend this!
Tess
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Re-read. So sweet.

Loved this!!!! This is the kind of story I could read over and over and over again!
Chris, the Dalek King
It seems like something that shouldnt work. I mean, Jaxon can barely read, and Caleb has trouble speaking. That is not even factoring in the vast class differences between the two. And yet after weeks of Jaxon picking up Caleb for their weekly trip from bar to apartment, Jaxon really starts to like the silent man who rides in the back of his cab. When circumstances lead to Jaxon saving Caleb from a night of probably very bad decisions, things start to change though. For the better, Jaxon hopes. ...more
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

Ive always been a sucker for tales about communication. Especially when there are hurdles to leap over and through. A big part of communication is trust and comfort. Two biggies in life that can take a bit of work and time to get.

Jaxon and Caleb meet in a cab one Tuesday night. One drunk and one driving. Both need someone to talk to and listen. They just have to learn each others language. Caleb is not a talker. He finds writing, texting, and sign language more comfortable because of
Ije the Devourer of Books
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

A lovely romantic novella about two men who take courage and break down the barriers between them.

Jaxon has severe dyslexia. He struggles to read the simplest things but he has a good life driving his taxi cab and spending time chatting to his sister over the phone. He feels he isn't clever but he is ok with who he is and then he meets Caleb.

Caleb is mostly rendered mute by a severe stutter. He finds it easier to communicate using American Sign Language but he can speak if he needs to. He is a
Ami

I really liked this!!

Disregard the fact that this novella didn't have any sex scenes (YAY for low steam story!) I found that it offered what it meant to be connected and working to build a relationship with someone you like, in a real, down-to-earth, unpretentious kind of way, without basing it on simply lust and sexual attraction. I loved that both men weren't flawless -- Jaxon has severe dyslexia while Caleb has stuttering problems.

They might have misunderstanding in the beginning
BWT (Belen)
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2016
This was really sweet. Just what I needed for a quick lunchtime read. Both Jason and Caleb were well thought out characters, and how they accommodate each other's problems was really nice to read. If I have one complaint it's that the fade to black ending was disappointing. I really wanted some sexy times.
Beebs
Loud and Clear is a very short, very sweet novella about 2 men who have difficulties with every day life.

Jaxon is doing ok, despite his severe Dyslexia, he is working as a cabbie and for the most part he loves his job. Caleb is a new regular, Jaxon thinks he's gorgeous and way out of his league but finds it curious that Caleb never speaks. Things get a little awkward when Caleb starts leaving little notes because Jaxon is afraid to attempt to read them in front of him.

As they get to know each
Marcie
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two men who have learned to go about their world without letting the frustrations caused by their stutter or dyslexia get the best of them, are given the opportunity to find friendship and love in one another.
Lelyana
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, netgalley, arc, 2016

Nice and sweet. Enjoyable short story with no angst.
We need this kind of story once in a while.
Recommended.
Bev

What an adorable little novella, well worth 4.5 stars from me. I had a huge grin on my face for the most part, satisfied in the knowledge that Caleb and Jaxon had found each other, made each other happy despite their so-called 'disabilities' and needed no-one else. Puddle of goo time folks.
Joyfully Jay
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I have only one complaint about Loud and Clear and its a pretty big one. Its too short!! Caleb and Jaxon are such a beautiful couple and their story is so compelling, you never want it to end. And when it does, you cant help feeling pretty bereft.

Loud and Clear struck close to home for me in a big way. My mother has a fairly significant reading disorder. Her father made sure to tell her on a daily basis that being a girl was bad enough, but being a stupid one made
Elena

I loved the combination of plot and characters in this short story.
Loud and Clear is all about two men with different and somewhat incompatible (in theory at least) disabilities coming together under original circumstances and working their way through the beginning of a relationship with kindness and openness.
Caleb and Jaxon are both nice characters, the best thing about them was their willingness to put themselves out there and meet the other more than halfway. Jaxon in particular
Susan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
This was nice.
But it did feel a bit stiff to me (no pun intended, because no smexy times in this one.).

I think the blurb says it all, Jaxon is a dyslectic taxi driver and Caleb is his customer, who has trouble talking because of a severe stutter.

The guys meet a couple of times when Jaxon drives Caleb home, they exchange numbers, go out on a date, start a relationship, and just when we got to the good parts, it ends.

It was kind of sweet, but also a bit boring.

description
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Full reviewage on Prism Book Alliance®

This authors writing has an easy feeling to it, a comfortable flow. Nothing fussy or extraneous. Before I knew it, I was starting chapter four and enjoying these journeys of Jaxon and Caleb. I wanted to know what was in store for them, both in their individual growth and as possibly a couple. Neither of them were specifically looking for someone, and they definitely werent expecting each other.

Sometimes, you just never know who might cross your path and the
Lexxi Kitty
Just a quick note since it has been forever and a day since I read this short story, well since I read it for the second time.

I still liked this M/M romance, and still liked the characters, but whatever it was that made me love the short work on my first read, seems to have not impacted me the same way on this second read. So Im left with a feeling of this was good instead of a feeling of I loved this work and wish to read everything by them like I felt the first time I read it.

The story
Meep
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely. Delivers a lot for the length though smut-free. Fell hard for both the characters, each dealing with their own issues, no miracle cures just adapting and understanding, what could be better? It's a very simple story of two men meeting and getting together, no big drama but growing understanding.

Nearing the end I felt the author wasn't sure how to finish, it felt a bit like everything was being summed up to reach that point of closure, which spoilt the flow and knocks off that last star.
Wart Hill
Things I Found While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

I'm not going to rate this one because...something about it really sits wrong with me. I don't know what it is. It has something to do with the portrayal of the stutter (and, to a lesser extente, the dyslexia) but as I do not have a stutter or dyslexia, I cannot safely say much on either subject so I don't know if it's just ME or what just. Something feels. Off...?

That being said, this is a really sweet story. Watching Jaxon and
Janeylou
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Janeylou by: Free choice
Elizabetta
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

Two men, each with a debilitating disability (say that fast 5 times) they've learned to live with or overcome, find comfort in each other. I loved how their story came about and how it came together. A very sweet read thats not syrupy at all. It took me a while to get to this book, but Ill definitely be looking for more of this authors work.
Lila Hunter
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My View: Loud and Clear is a lovely short story with two intriguing main characters. It breaks with the normative of "perfect" characters and "torture" souls. Both characters struggle with disabilities, but instead of wallow in them, they learned to raise above them and have fulfilling lives.

Their relationship is a slow-burn with lots of chemistry and zero on page sex. Even so, the connection between the characters is evident and their time together fulfilling. The more they get to know each
Jen Davis
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
If youre looking for a short and sweet little m/m romance, this one fits the bill. It features two men who are each struggling with their own disabilities, yet somehow manage to make an unlikely connection with one another. I enjoy stories where the hero has odds to overcome, and here, the issues are exponential, because of what these men are struggling with: one can barely speak, due to a terrible stutter, while the other cant read, because of major dyslexia. Communication is a serious ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Bio-Mechanical (Irons and Works, #4)
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • The Last Text
  • Danger Zone (The Elite, #1)
  • Blank Canvas (Irons and Works, #2)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Stick and Poke (Irons and Works, #5)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe (Blame It on the Mistletoe, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
Aidan Wayne has been publishing LGBTQ+ fiction since 2016. While they usually stick with contemporary romance (both adult and YA), some soft sci-fi/fantasy has been known to sneak in as well. They primarily write character-driven stories with happy endings, because, dammit, queer people deserve happy endings too.

Stay in the know and never miss a book by joining Aidan's mailing list.