Start by marking “The Fear of Falling” as Want to Read:
The Fear of Falling

The Fear of Falling

When Ella Jones’ twenty-first birthday ends with a bang – literally – she never imagined it would be with her best friend since freshman year, Ryan Owen.

A year later, after their so called “mistake”, they’re still best friends and about to rock their Senior year at the University of San Francisco. But when Ryan returns from spending a summer in Australia and brings back a
Published August 22nd 2018 by Amanda Cowen Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Fear of Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fear of Falling

Katelynne
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, romantic, and sexy. This book took me back to all of my guy friends from college - hook ups, best friends, and sweetheart. Ryan is all three wrapped in one. I related to Ella’s titular fear of falling so much! The only thing keeping these two apart from one another is THEMSELVES, and it’s so frustratingly cute to watch them struggle to end up together.
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

3.5 Stars!

The Review:
This book.... was incredibly fun, but also incredibly frustrating (most of it in a good way!).

I was captured by these characters and their story from the very beginning and never disappointed throughout the book. Great writing. Fun and exciting story with intense, sexy moments mixed in and a push-pull that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Story/Characters...
Ella Jones and Ryan Owen have been best friends since they were anciently assig
Paula  Phillips
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book started with a good premise of friends to lovers romance and set in the college scene which I usually love. Usually, I would finish a book in a day or two max. The Fear of Falling took me about three days to complete. I have to admit I was enjoying it and then about halfway through - the book was starting to grate on me. I then had to push myself to finish the book, and this was a first for me as I usually am not a continuer with books, if I can't get into it then it's out the window. ...more
Sandy Blushing Babes Are Up All Night
**4.00 BLUSHES**

Ella Jones is living the college life. She has a great group of friends including her bestie - Ryan Owen. Friends Ella can do no problem but boyfriends....not so much. Things go well until it comes time to commit and then Ella inevitably finds faults.

Ryan Owen is a jock, handsome and popular. He can have his pick of the girls at school and often does. Going from flower to flower without ever taking things to the next level. He is Ella’s confidant and sounding board. They bonded
Amber [thespacejamber]
I’ve never been the biggest fan of contemporary new adult romances for one big reason: they’re all so similar that I don’t just feel myself rooting for the main couple. They don’t have any kind of real chemistry that makes me feel like they absolutely belong together. Color me shocked, then, when I found myself breezing through Amanda Cowen’s newest novel, The Fear of Falling, while traveling to and from seeing a friend for a day trip. Does it transform the contemporary NA romance genre? No, but ...more
SUZAN C.
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can a boy and a girl be best friends and nothing more? In Amanda Cowen's latest contemporary romance, The Fear of Falling, Ella and Ryan face that exact question years later after becoming fast friends in college. To the outside world they are nothing but the best of buddies - siblings almost - in the way they argue and make fun of each other, but something deeper runs in their friendship that neither one of them wants to acknowledge.

In a series of events that puts these two friends together at
Anna
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Aside from the fact I wanted to throw my phone (ebook) across the room every five seconds several times, this book was written well. The chemistry between Ella and Ryan was easy to see while reading. I wish I could have heard more about Ella and Maisie. As “best friends” she sure didn’t know Ella very well. I also didn’t enjoy how selfish Ella was being. I know it’s hard to be committed to someone and she was worried about her friendship but as her best friend she should have been able to confid ...more
Kate Avery
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5/5

Recently I reviewed another Amanda Cowen book, Tainted, and I know that each book is different and that I shouldn’t compare but because I’ve read them so close together it is very hard not to.

There definitely wasn’t the same kind of tension in this one, I mean I get Ryan and Ella’s predicament, they are best friends and don’t want to ruin what they’ve got but the situation didn’t feel as if there was as much to lose.

I liked the chemistry between Ella and Ryan, the easy friendship tha
Miranda Knight
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ella Jones decided she wanted her 21st birthday to go out with a big bang. Boy, did that happen! She had a one night stand with her best friend, Ryan Owen. Somehow, they were able to return to their easy going relationship--until Ryan spends the summer in Australia and returns with a new buddy, Liam George. For some reason, Ryan does everything possible to prevent Ella from having a relationship with Liam even though Ryan has a girlfriend.

But what happens when Ryan breaks up with his girlfriend
Sunny Shelly Reads
3.5 Stars

This book started off strong -- the best friends trope is one of my favorites. I liked how both Ryan and Ella struggled with their feelings in the aftermath of them sleeping together the night of her birthday. But somewhere in the middle, it sort of went off the rails for me. I was getting annoyed with Ella and felt like she was jerking Ryan around a bit. At least Ryan was more honest with his feelings afterwards, dropping hints that he wouldn't mind crossing that line from best friends
Amy Dufera
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it

The Fear of Falling starts as a fun friends to lovers romance. Amanda Cowen manages to create an intriguing slow-burn between best friends. Unfortunately, it's a long slow-burn, as they struggle for an almost painfully long time to actually get together.

I love the beginning of the story, as things start to get weird between Ella and Liam. They are both attracted to each other, have already hooked up once, and are now back in town while each is dating someone else. Love it. One of my favorite tro
Haddie
Firstly, wow. Ella and Ryan's friendship was very sweet. One of my favorite themes is friends to lovers. The suspense of whether they would push through and ignore the "what ifs" had me biting my nails. Though I kinda liked Liam, it was major obvious Ella would never be truly happy with him, because she's got her sights on Ryan. I was glued to this book from start to finish. Amanda Cowen is a new author to me. I'm surprised I didn't read her work sooner. I enjoyed this book so much. Highly recom ...more
Ree
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a well-written, realistic romance.

I liked - and am envious of - Ella & Ryan's friendship. It was sweet & fun. They always had each other's back, yet were comfortable with each other enough to tease & joke around.

The author did a great job of portraying the panic and indecisiveness that both characters experience when they realise that their relationship status could be changing. It dragged on for quite some time, but I still enjoyed the book.

A fairly quick read, I recommend t
Brittani
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Fear of Falling was so much more than it would be! I am definitely a fan of Friends to Lovers college romance stories and this one did not leave me disappointed.

There are times when you just want to slap Ella around and tell her to just get over herself but if I think about if I were in her shoes, nope I'd probably do the same exact thing! Ella and Ryan have such a great friendship filled with traditions that had me smiling ear to ear. There is a particular scene that just got me, I don't ev
United Indie Book Blog
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ella and Ryan gave been best friends since freshman year band on her 21st birthday they cross a line that many may not come back from but villa and Ryan somehow do just that ....

Ryan heads to Australia for the summer and comes back with a visitor , Liam , who takes a keen interest on Ella.

Ryan and Ella cross that line again and this time it seems there's no coming back .....

Finally Ella and Ryan get themselves together and grow up a little ....I enjoyed them but I must be honest their antics ann
Jo
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a solidly written, if frustrating, romance.  The characters are well developed, and their interactions are realistic.

I confess that I did, on more than one occasion, want to bang their heads together and if I had one criticism, it is that the back and forth between them might have been dragged out a tad too long.

That said, it wasn't a big enough niggle to impair my overall enjoyment of the book.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I love friends to lovers stories so I was quite excited about this one. Ryan and Ella have been best mates, but that's all they are. They play poker, hang out together, watch cheesy films and he calls her Jonsey (which the author feels the need to tell us is a pet version of her surname Jones, you don't say). One day they end up in bed together and both decide that it was a mistake, hoping to go back to how things were before.

Ella clearly has a lot of issues around relationships and commitment
Mack Black
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Review to come**
Kathleen Nguyen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars
Alyssa Cuglietta
Keep ‘em coming Amanda!

Another awesome story! Nothing gets to be more than a best friend romance! Ella and Ryan were adorable, loved this dynamic!
Rebecca June
Oct 08, 2018
Amanda Cowen
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dilek VT
Nov 02, 2018 marked it as not-appealing
I have realized that "friends-to-lovers" romance is not for me. I cannot be bothered by another story that is based on "Let's stay friends and sleep with other people because we wouldn't want to ruin our friendship!”
Michelle
Jan 07, 2019
Giselle
Oct 02, 2018
Sonja Stojanovic
Oct 25, 2018
Labyrinth
rated it did not like it
Nov 27, 2018
Kim
Oct 24, 2018
Nataly
Oct 26, 2018
Melleny
Oct 10, 2018
Amanda Cowen is the author of BETWEEN FRIENDS, THE PERFECT SERIES, TAINTED and THE FEAR OF FALLING. She is also an “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” fanatic, a country music junkie, and a hater of roller coasters (they terrify her!). When she isn't trapped at her computer writing her next story, she can be found eating cupcakes, hanging with her family, or stuck in a good book!

Amanda loves to c