Start by marking “Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions” as Want to Read:
Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions

Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions

(Talking Nerdy #1)

Falling in love is a chemical reaction.

Just ask Kaya Rubio, twenty-five year-old Molecular Genetics graduate student and research assistant. Fed up with her spinster aunts' relentless reminders and unsolicited advice regarding her Single Since Birth status, she designs a scientific, evidence-based methodology to find her a suitable partner in time for her cousin's
Published April 17th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Beginner's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginner's Guide

Start your review of Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions
Emer (A Little Haze)
I went on such a journey with this book! I went from absolutely loving it to getting slightly annoyed and a little disheartened by what I was perceiving to be a certain stereotype to then coming back full circle and loving it again! So I guess I better explain myself.

This book is 100% adorkable. It's cuter than cute and seriously funny! I laughed out loud so many times.

We are introduced to our leading lady Kaya, a masters student pursuing her post-graduate qualification in molecular biology,
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this for the Yule Bingo Challenge, for the category of Weasleys: family goals. For more info on this challenge, click here.

"You are this amazing person. More than good enough. There is nothing you need to prove to anyone. Or even to yourself. You deserve more than what you give yourself credit for" (69%).

Why doesn't this book have more reviews? Just over 300? Goodreads, are you kidding me? This is a romance with everything people
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Beginner’s Guide is the toe curling nerdy contemporary romance you don’t want to missed.

Aside from Courtney Milan’s The Countess Conspiracy, I haven’t read a lot of romance books where the protagonist is a scientist where it’s filled with countless deduction. That book is subdue in terms of scientific exploration. Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions on the other hand is swarming on it. If you’re not a science person as I do, I still reckon you’ll dig this story. As I’d like to
Geri Reads
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author, and I'm hooked with the way she writes romance (really strong author voice) and her characters.

I've been intentionally seeking out Filipino authors who write romance either set in the Philippines or in the US (or wherever) this year and Six is one of the names that kept being recommended on Twitter. So I have expectations. Huge ones. And it did not disappoint.

If one were to define The Right Guy as a perfect genetic match, the odds of finding him are
K.J. Charles
A research scientist tired of being nagged about her single status designs a boyfriend experiment to trial suitable candidates, but finds herself more interested in the arty cafe owner instead. Kaya is a fun character, evidently on the autistic spectrum, very self-protective because she's aware other people find her odd, and hiding her loneliness and discomfort behind her work. Meanwhile the sexy free-spirited Nero turns out to have his own insecurities about not being clever or high-achieving ...more
Chachic
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chachic by: Courtney Milan
Shelves: best-of-2016
Originally posted at Chachic's Book Nook.

I've had Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions by Six de los Reyes on my wishlist for a while now. And I was pushed to grab a copy when I saw historical romance author Courtney Milan raving about it. I didn't want to get left behind when it comes to supporting Filipino authors! I read it as soon as I could because I was curious. While I couldn't say that I loved it as much as Courtney Milan did, I had a lot of fun reading this nerdy Filipino
namericanwordcat
I really enjoyed this love story.

The writing style takes a while to get use to because it is so internal to the heroine's way of processing the world which is very scientific. Also, she knows where she is and who people are so she rarely signals these things to the reader. It took me forever to figure out she was in Manila.

This worldview is the joy of the book (and sometimes a drawback) as the reader is sitting in a room with a limited perspective and as her perspective grows so does the
Alexa
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Honestly, this was just delightful to read all in all. I do enjoy a fun love story, and that was what this was!
Inah
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been a really long time since I last read a New Adult novel. I don't know why but it seems like NA novels from western authors doesn't appeal much to me nowadays. Except, of course, from those that I've read and loved before. But hey, now I have learned my lesson. If ever, I find myself craving for a NA novel, I'll be looking at #romanceclass books! I'm happy to say that this book opened my world again to NA.

This is the first book I read from Six de los Reyes, and this wouldn't be the
Kat at Book Thingo
Full review at Book Thingo: link

It's difficult to pull off a socially awkward heroine, but Six de los Reyes does a great job. She surrounds Kaya with loyal friends, and a rambunctious family, which means Kaya can't be easily pigeonholed. Anyone who knows an introvert should understand some of what Kaya goes through. Nero is hot in an understated way. He's a bit too perfect, but never mind that -- Kaya wins and that's what matters.

I have huge issues with the editing of this book. There are tense
Elisabeth Lane
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two adorable people connect unexpectedly

This was great, but as a caveat, I'm neurotypical. I can't possibly comment on the autistic coding of the heroine as I have no idea whether or not it's accurate or harmful or anything else. The only character like her that I've read was the heroine from The Kiss Quotient and she's substantially similar in my view. However, unlike in The Kiss Quotient, this heroine's family, friends, and work colleagues love her just as she is. There is no suggestion that
leenahreads
Some things in life just don't make sense. It's like all the confounding factors in the world decided to gang up on you. It's like doing everything right, the protocol, the materials, the equipment, everything is right and you still can't get it right. Or the result that you want.

Ok this has officially become one of my favorite contemporary romances. Everything about this was just so beautiful, I wanted the book to go on forever and ever. I wanted to see Kaya and Nero together afterwards, I
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
I just found my favorite book in the whole wide world. I am so in love, while reading this book and the after-effect of finishing it. Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions was so romantic and made my heart beat so fast. Kaya and Nero are definitely my new favorite IT ship and I want to reread their scenes just for this feeling to never go away.

If you like MCs that are scientists
If you like LI that are artists, own a cute cafe and have tattoos, also pretty adorable
If you like crazy
Neil (or bleed)
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
You had me at Science.
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
I love me a good nerd-finds-love story, and they don't come nerdier than Kaya, the clueless heroine of LaOCR. This is, I think, a debut novel and a good one too.

The plot is not terribly original (you'll find the same thing in Graeme Simsion's hilarious The Rosie Project) - Kaya persuades herself that she needs to experience dating and goes on a number of mediocre dates, only to find true love elsewhere. Six de los Reyes makes a very pleasant story out of this (using the unusual setting of
Carvanz
While this was a cute book, it was a little too scientific for me. I like a nerdy heroine but I needed a little break from all the “nerdy talk” and would’ve loved a look into what the hero thought and felt. It had a lot of potential and if you enjoy a book full of science this could work for you. The hero is not an alpha, the heroine is a virgin and never been kissed, there is a bit of humor – especially with her family, and there isn’t much steam at all – absolutely no sex if you’re wondering.
Fantaghiro23
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really truly enjoyed this. Like, read-until-3AM enjoyed this.:)
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the most adorable romances I've ever read. A grad student who finds it easier to lose herself in her work in the lab than deal with messy emotions is convinced by her father she's not following good scientific protocol if she doesn't at least test her hypothesis that life is easier/better alone. Commence the Boyfriend Experiment, and a series of adorably dorky dates and misunderstandings among the all too familiar pressures of work/life balance in a career that expects 24/7 of you.
Kristy Mauna
"It's not boring to you. You're a scientist. This is your thing. This is what you willingly lose sleep for. It's not boring or not important. It's your life. I'm sorry you had someone tell you to stop talking about the things you love. I might not understand everything you say, but I'll never, never tell you to shut up."

This book is a must read friends. <3
emma
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think I may be in love with this book... It was so great to have a main character who was a scientist, which we do not get enough of. All of the characters were great, and I loved seeing Kaya grow throughout this book. I think I may be in love with Nero. More like this please!
Allie
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
What a surprise this book was! Beginner's Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions is a romance that is set in the Philippines, with Filipino characters, and a heroine in both academia and STEM who is likely on the autism spectrum (though it is never called out as such).

During a visit to her big, extended family's hometown for her cousin's engagement party, heroine Kaya is made to feel uncomfortable for being single, amidst all the happy couples around her. In the only way she knows how, as a
Laura (bbliophile)
I sadly didn't like this as much as I expected. The LI was great and I loved the MC's family and friends a lot, but there was so much science-y talk. Normally I don't mind that at all, but it got a little boring...
emma
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Romance and science combined in one book? How could I not love it?
mara
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
love love love it kaya is so relatable and her family and friends are so funny + great this entire book was amazing
Kate
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 5/5

I will always have a special place in my heart for books with women in STEM (mostly because I am envious as hell of them), and Beginner’s Guide is the exactly the kind of women in STEM romance that I adore. Kaya is a wonderful, multidimensional character, with so many aspects to her besides her “search” for a boyfriend. I love how Kaya’s character arc touches not just on falling in love, but also on her difficulties as a whole with interpersonal relationships. In fact, while
Michelle
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Chachic
Shelves: contemp, new-adult, 2016
Pitched to me by a trusted book blogger as a Filipino THE ROSIE PROJECT but with a female lead, I was determined to give this one a go.

Kaya is a no-nonsense scientist who has never been in a romantic relationship. Heck, even her friendships are pretty businesslike! But after feeling the boyfriend pressure from her over-involved family, she decides to get make some changes, get out there and date...by creating a scientific experiment. Like that's not gonna turn out well :\ With the help of her
Karima chermiti
The book was not perfect but i don’t give a damn about that. The story made me happy at a time when I needed that feeling and for that alone I’m going to be eternally in love with the book. I’m sure that while I was reading it, I had this stupid happy look on my face that translates to swooning. Just thinking about the book is enough to put a ridiculous smile on my face.

Until one by one, my senses had come back to life. First, there was Nero’s lips. Then there was his hands. Then his scent. And
Frida
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is a theory generally accepted in certain circles that love, like the rest of the known universe, can be broken down into an exact science. It has been demonstrated in a series of animal models that neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin and hormones such as oxytocin and vasopressin facilitate the warm and fuzzy feelings so often associated with the phenomenon of "falling in love".

(From the prologue - no sorry - the abstract.)

Refreshing and delightful Filipino romance with a
Rebekah Weatherspoon
4.5 Stars for this one. *Full review will be posted to Heroes and Heartbreakers* So nerdy. So good. I've been looking for more nerdy heroines and this one hit the spot. Kaya was smart and so frustrating, but so real and relatable. Nero is what I wish pretty much all romance heroes would be. Sweet, sexy, and flexible. Six is a great story teller and I cant wait to read more of her work.
Alysia
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was sooo good. I loved Kaya and Nero's dynamic. Especially with how obvious Nero was about his feelings from the start while Kaya was so oblivious and in denial and how those two things clashed in their developing relationship. And Six writes some of the best kissing scenes in romance, wooh. I also like the developing friendships that happened with Kaya and some of the other characters. And Kaya's family! I could create a list of all the things I enjoyed from this book tbh.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Grumpy Jake
  • Tiny House, Big Love (Love Unscripted Book 2)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • Beginner's Luck (Chance of a Lifetime, #1)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Level Up (Fandom Hearts #1)
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • Luck of the Draw (Chance of a Lifetime #2)
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • Small Change (Small Change, #1)
  • Love Lettering
  • Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)
  • Blame It on the Billionaire
  • A Taste of Her Own Medicine
  • Mango Summer
“Who was it who told you to shut up. Who told you to shut up the first time? Who said what you do is boring? Who said you were boring?” 1 likes
“I don’t want to change me,” I answered. “That’s why I set up the parameters of the Boyfriend Experiment the way I did. Because this is who I am. And I really like my brain, and I just want someone who understands it. Someone whose brain I can also understand.” 0 likes