Start by marking “How to Write Your Life Story” as Want to Read:
How to Write Your Life Story

How to Write Your Life Story

Lies About Writing Your Life Story You have to be a famous celebrity. You must have an amazing life. You can't write your life story until you're old and gray. Nobody will read it, so what's the point?
Published June 26th 2007 by Collins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about How to Write Your Life Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write Your Life Story

Start your review of How to Write Your Life Story
Jack Loughrey
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a very nice book that tought me alot of things like not to say mean things and being helpful.
The Reading Countess
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Publisher's Summary:

Lies About Writing Your Life Story

You have to be a famous celebrity.
You must have an amazing life.
You can't write your life story until you're old and gray.
Nobody will read it, so what's the point?
************************************************************************************************************

I love Ralph Fletcher. When I ordered this book through Scholastic Book Orders, I thought my kids might find his book interesting and perhaps provide a call to them to write
Tyler
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt that this book was very helpful in allowing me to write my memoir.
Heather
I bought this book as a resource for my students over a year ago and then misplaced it almost immediately. I finally found it today and was hesitant to read it because I am not really a fan of Fletcher's other instructional writing books for children. However, I must say that this one is by far the best. It has tips, interviews with authors, and writing samples from kids and adults. It is definitely geared more towards middle grades (4-6).
Donalyn
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Solid ideas for writing personal narratives, but I wonder if this is the sort of book that teachers like more than kids.
Becky Kondritz
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, easy to follow book. Some of the harsher comments about this book failed to take into account the audience--middle school students. In this respect, I think the book goes into an appropriate amount of depth in how to get started and key points of biographical writing. I would suggest it as a helpful suggestion for any students wishing to write about their lives. Super quick, easy read for adults.
Logan Nott
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This non-fiction novel written by Ralph Fletcher is a great source for memoir writers and I enjoyed it. The only downside was that Ralph was too much into giving tips than actually writing a story which hoped for more story that how to write a memoir. I know the title tells me why he gives tips but I would've enjoyed a bit more context into his life.
Charles
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic-writing
This is targeted clearly toward younger writers, particularly gradeschoolers, and has an educational feel to it. Such readers might find it a 4 star read or better. I doubt most older or experienced writers would learn a lot from it but it was good to be reminded of some basic things about writing memoir. It's an easy read and entertaining.
Natalie Gardner
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think it was very useful in my writing. it wasn't really my type of a book. i don't like reading how to write stuff. when i write a memorial i will follow my heart and try to remember as much as i can.
Lauren Haynie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
It taught me a lot about how to write my own autobiography or memoir. It also taught me what is a good story and what is not. To write a good memoir you should only add some details of your life. This taught me a lot about how to write my own life story.
Jack O'Shaughnessy
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty educational and I hope that the things I learned from the book will help me when writing my memoir. The most important thing I learned was even if it's embarrassing for another person you can still include it.
Zachery  Reeves
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book and it helped me learn how to better my writing.
Amanda Heck
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so incredibly helpful for me in thinking about writing my own autobiography/memoir. The tips, author interviews, examples, and genres were golden material.
Cindy
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written for middle school student. Great introduction to writing personal stories.
Hannah Davis
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Although this book wasn't my favorite, it definitely had a lot of good ideas and pointers for whoever may want to write an memoir. I liked the sense of humor used throughout the story and I look forward to using some of the tips I found in these books, later in life.
Makenna Quinby
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though i didn't really enjoy the book I would recommend to someone wanting to get info on writing memoirs. I learned some really good facts that I will use in the near future.
Alisha Funkhouser
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
Fletcher, R. (2007). How to Write Your Life Story. New York: Collins.

Informational Book

Booklist Review

How to Write Your Life Story is exactly what it says - a book on how to write your life story. This informational book gives great insight to anyone who has every thought about writing about their own life or even about someone else. It goes through different techniques on ways to remember things from your childhood or how to write about something special. The author provides interviews with
Adina Cameo
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice small and simple book to step into this mind-frame. Talking about "bridging" certain fragmented writing particularly interested me because it makes my head spin when I think about attempting to glue and flesh out what I write.

These are the notes that I pulled out of the book that were relevant to me and the writing I do:

I can’t think of any other genre that allows a writer to say so much with so few words. Poetry has a way of cutting through the fluff and getting down to what
Sally
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
John Orman
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A juvenile version of the standard "Write Your Life Story" book.
I thought it was very useful to list the Lies About Writing Your Life Story:

1. You have to be a famous celebrity.
2. You must have an amazing life.
3. You can't write your life story until you are old and gray.
4. Nobody will read it, so what's the point.

I thought the author was persuasive in overcoming the Lies as roadblocks to even starting a project.

Also has a good chapter listing example memoirs, such as those by Roald Dahl,
Trista
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book included lots of great advice for children (and anyone, really) who wants to write their life story. He included several examples and interviewed a few children's authors to get their thoughts. Very easy to read and gives advice on how to make one's writing powerful (I liked the tip about having powerful verbs, not necessarily adjectives). A great resource for kids, teachers, and writers alike.
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wham-bam kind of book. Short, but full. Simple, but complex. Chock full of examples of writing from fourth graders to adults.

This book turns the daunting task of writing your life story into something not only doable, but something to look forward to! I could easily use this book to help plan a memoir unit with its suggestions for generating ideas, getting started, and great examples.
Deborah
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ralph Fletcher provides some very useful information in a small package titled "How to Write Your Life story. Although writen for young peolpe I found the book full of interesting and well writen instuctions on everything needed to start writing. I am sure I could have found something with a lot more technical and a larger assortment of ideas; nevertheless I found just what I needed in Ralph Fletcher's book.
Max
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think that How to write your life story is a really good book because Ralph Fletcher gived alot of good interesting examples.
I would reccomend this book to young writers cause this book is about writing for writers!!!
This book is detailed and organized so I think that it would be a good book for everyone to read.
I like the part where Ralph gave examples so that I could understand better.
In the future, I would like to write books like Ralph's awsome books.
Amy
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbook, 50-50
Another Ralph Fletcher book that has helped me. While this may be written for helping a student with how to write his/her life story, I think teachers of writing should read this as well. There are some great ideas/strategies on how you can come up with the ideas for your own story. Short, easy-to-read, and provides examples from Ralph's own writing or other published authors and students.
Aleyna Sarap
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Honestly I was thinking about writing my life story since 8th grade. So I bought this book back than to help me with my story. I haven't really written much yet. But it was quite fun to read this book. I recommend it to young readers though because it's not written for adults level. If you're thinking about writing your own life story, this book could be very helpful to get some ideas.
Jace Caldwell
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was alright but it tried to be too funny. It did help me with writing my memoir though.
Barb Keister

I enjoy Ralph Fletcher's short books written for kids, but so helpful for teachers trying to find the right language to use with young writers. Good ideas for writer's notebooks as well as a memoir unit of study. Great examples of real student work and great reading list for immersing students in the genre.
Marilyn
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
A quick good read if you're interested in writing your own autobiography. I thought the author synthesized well. I am thinking of getting enough of these for a whole class to read. Ordered one for a retiring principal to inspire him!
Joe
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great "handbook" for younger writers. I want to buy a class set for my 7th graders. I love the real examples from him and from students. The book list in the back was extremely helpful for finding mentor texts, too.

• When
  • Zero Day
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • The House of Power
  • Goodbye Stranger
  • Ghost (Track, #1)
  • Mistakes That Worked: 40 Familiar Inventions & How They Came to Be
  • Author: A True Story
  • The Everything Kids' Science Experiments Book: Boil Ice, Float Water, Measure Gravity-Challenge the World Around You!
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers ...more