Start by marking “Golem” as Want to Read:
Golem

Golem

Set in post-Eurozone Italy, entrenched in a bizarre form of hyper-capitalism, GOLEM follows a young boy kidnapped during a political protest gone sour, who learns that he has the power to not only change the city, but reality itself. This wildly imaginative political-sci-fi graphic novel is a visual tour de force, created by contemporary design icon Lorenzo Ceccotti.
Published August 31st 2016 by Roca Editorial (first published December 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Golem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golem

Start your review of Golem
Vivian
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fr, ng, graphic-or-comic
Gorgeous cover, and while I didn't expect 280 pages of that quality illustration, I had hoped for more.

Opening sequence is an overview, unimpressive, but I think in the context of the story it is reflects the plastic and propaganda of the new Itally, paternalistic and fascist.

Second sequence is character introduction and elaboration of the world. There's this social commentary that not being Italian is probably lost in translation, but needless to say the Euro controversy and Italy's tenuous fi
Chad
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golem is set in a dystopian version of Italy where corporations have basically taken over and most people have checked out. This is very much a social commentary on today's society. A group of rebels is fighting back to bring the government back in charge of the people. The art is very much Manga influenced.

Received an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Some pretty good artwork in places, although I expected something more original, especially considering the length of this volume.

The basic idea in itself is, I'd say, typical enough of dystopian stories: country (here, Italy) in the not-too-far future, dominated by an apparent benevolent ruler (president Oudeis) who's actually a tyrant, with "the masses" living day to day in blissful ignorance, smothered with all the latest tech
Sarah Marie
Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti

3 stars

I would compare this graphic novel to 1984, but it’s set in Italy and this offers a very different setting to the usual American atmosphere that most dystopian stories focus on. This is also very nature oriented and focuses on the concept that a device with the ability to recycle matter into anything. This device becomes a threat to capitalism and this in turn causes political problems within the society. I really enjoyed the symbolism Ceccotti focuses on and the

Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I really liked the artwork. However, at times I was wondering what I was reading because there didn't seem to be much of a plot.

Set in a very Dystopian (one might say over-the-top Dystopian) future Italy it had a very strange Japanese feeling over it. Partly this might have to do with the manga-like art style, but everything else also felt more Japanese than Italian (clothes and the like). It was distracting for me as I kept wondering w
Paige
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok

Admittedly, I flew through the first 200 pages of this in a single day and after finishing up the last 80 I sort of regretted it because it flew by almost too fast and then the ending felt so rushed. The final battle was only a couple pages and I was left wanting more explanations for what had happened and what was going to happen after the book ended.

Additionally, I don't think I fully understood everything that was happening in the world because there wasn't a ton of background given to us. I
This is a beautifully illustrated graphic novel. The images are just to stare at and enjoy.

Some examples here.

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.47.35 PM_zpsfpe7lgca.png

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.44.51 PM_zpsqc0p97bd.png

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.45.27 PM_zpstfjgo8iw.png

And the story is good. It is, as dystopian stories are, a story of the people trying to overcome it, usually a small group who overthrow the present government. There is a twist to how they do so, and did I mention the illustrations and layout are marvelous.

I guess, except for the twist, we have seen this story so many times, that it just isn't that fresh.

So read this to enj
Akylina
"Golem" is a graphic novel set in a dystopian version of Italy, where consummerism is more than dominant and also enforced by the government. However, when a mission led by a group of "rebels" called The Shorai doesn't exactly go as planned, things start to rapidly change.

This graphic novel contains so many spot-on social and political comments and even though they refer to this dystopian society described in the story, they can be applied to many of today's societies as well. The plot is very
Diana
I was really curious to see what this is about and I'm happy that I was able to read it.
The art of this comic book is amazing and at times I just stopped to enjoy it, but unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the story. I couldn't really connect with all the characters and I needed more details to understand everything. Some of the political themes were hard to get at first, since it's not my area of expertise.
Steno was interesting, but we don't get to know him too well, and the same
Benjamin
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This wasn't perfect, but I had no problems being drawn into the story, It's a setting and plot I feel I've seen before but with a new flavor. Steno Critone starts this book off with a nice youthful perspective on an otherwise eerily similar to ours, consumer enslaved world. The futurism is spot on and hits close to home with what Is in my imagination, and a few sequences warranted some very uncomfortable laughter. This book asks a question needing to be asked more often:
When what you own, owns y
Kirsty
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from Magnetic Press via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This graphic novel is set in a futuristic dystopian Italy, and it is shocking how you can see some of these aspects within our society today, especially with all the political debates regarding the EU. This all made for a fascinating and gripping read, as terrorists also play a big part in this book. This could well be a lot like what the future will bring.

While I did find the plot interesting and the
Vanessa (Wanderness)
For a graphic novel of 280 pages this was a beautifully illustrated book.
Set in a futuristic Italy consumed by political consumerism and freedom fighters deemed "terrorists" this novel is somewhat shallow as a story given its nature and that it can be read in less than an hour, although I did enjoy it and I'm glad to have read it.
Jeff Toth
Aug 18, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With this being the writer/artist’s first book I would’ve been more generous until I saw the write up at the end about what a genius he is with metaphor and symbology. If only he was more of a genius with clear visual storytelling, pacing and editing this could’ve been a lot more readable.
The Laughing Man
I liked the art style but the political theme was not my cup of tea. I guess I have grown out of Deus Ex Machina solutions to problems either...
Silvia
This gets two stars for good art (and yet I expected more from a one shot book. This is not something that was coming out once a month, with understandably crammed deadlines. Some of the art looks really unpolished considering) and decent tech. Also for not having an anti-technology aesop as so many speculative fiction works from Italy tend to.
But the author clearly doesn't know how to tell a story.
None of the characters had any development, growth or depth (the one attempt to give an antagonist
Konna
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read review at: http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.gr...

The plot of Golem was typical of a post-apocalyptic scenario. It had every important element of such story: an all-knowing government, a rebellious team living on the outskirts of the city and a young boy that possesses the key to a powerful technology. Steno, our young protagonist, had trouble sleeping and that was why he had dark circles under his eyes. This was his most distinctive feature. He was witness to an attack by the rebels and t
Jaffa Kintigh
Beautifully rendered, this graphic novel depicts a near-future dystopian Italy in which the Eurasian Union in firmly in the control of 4 corporations. Freedom and democracy are facades bolstered by entrenched and rampant consumerism and corrupt politicians. Science that would better mankind is suppressed if it threatens said consumerism. A band of freedom fighters rally to upend the unsustainable State.

The message outshines the story's telling, and the art easily trumps both. Many artistic styl
Montzalee Wittmann
Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti is a graphic sci-fi/ fantasy novel, more in the manga type style. It is set in the future in a Eurozone Italy during a time when capitalism is everything. No one cooks, sews, and everything is bought. Nothing is done by hand. The nano tech is there to help the public make life easier but it has been hidden so business can rule the people. A band of people are trying to change this but are labeled "terrorist". The boy of the story, Steno, is key to the change. The plot i ...more
Lupe Dominguez
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was surprisingly good. I want sure about all the super deep philosophical stuff until I read the last pages where the author explained it all. Then the rest of the book and pieces I was missing fell into place. Such a great story of how absolute power absolutely corrupts and how capitalism can wreak havoc on a society if not kept in check. But it was also how just one idea, one singular protest, or one of anything really, could be a catalyst for change. Deep work. But fantastic.
Patrick
All and all a solid book. There's a lot of symbolic elements in here (which is talked about some at the back of the book). The way the artwork and story unfolded reminds me a lot of a Manga book. Not a bad thing I should add. The artwork was mostly great.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher.
Michael Yankovich
I'm not exactly sure what I just read. Golem is a beautiful blend of art styles with a nearly unintelligible plot. Author/artist LRNZ draws from numerous inspirations with his art, the most obvious being Japanese manga. I just couldn't follow this story at all. Two stars for the great artwork. ...more
Jenna
An intriguing graphic novel that covered some important subjects, but was a tad confusing and felt it should have been a bit longer in order to understand aspects of the society better, as it felt rather rushed. But I did appreciate the drawing style, even if I was confused at times.
Autumn
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I was very disappointed with Golem. When I saw it at the bookstore and flipped through its pages I became enamored by the incredible artwork and seemingly interesting characters and decided to buy it. However, it was rather the disappointment and not worth the money I spent.

Golem overall feels very... disjointed and rushed. After the first bit, it really feels like there is action and intense plot going on in every panel of the story, leaving the reader feeling a bit overwhelmed. I
Crisanto J. Jorda
Much style and just a little substance, Golem is a neo-punk, sci-fi, dramatic story that tells the classic story of a battle between rag-tag rebels and an mega evil corporation. The premise is not original by any means, but LRNZ stylizes his characters and paneling in a way that is both fluid and masterful in its representation. I have not seen a graphic novel rendered more beautiful and with romantic flair than this one.

Underneath the hood are extremely glaring writing problems, however. The po
Mikkedn
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golem is set in a dystopian Italy sometime in the future. What impressed me in this book is the attention to details. Nothing is left to chance, every name, object, scene, color is methodically selected and studied. It's a graphic novel that shows its true worth after multiple readings, each time new details emerge. LRNZ is first of all an encyclopedia of art, he likes to take from so many different sources, from mangas (kaijus and action scenes), to french authors like Moebius and Winsor Mccay ...more
Alisa
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first glance this book might seem like a normal pointless comic book. But once you start reading you realize that's not true at all. First, there is plenty of text so the book will definitely take a few days to read and is probably considered a graphic novel. Second, it's certainly not pointless. There is a very thick plot. Everything, from the title to the art was chosen according to the storyline. The vibrant colours make it really seem like the future, and the title, being a very important ...more
Dareos
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: the art is fantastic! One may say a bit inconsistent but I disagree. I feel like what one would see as “formal inconsistencies” are actually formal choices that serve the narrative on a second layer. For example, I enjoyed the way flashbacks are drawn.

Cons: the story, although very immersive, is sadly not well developed. There are three major issues for me. -One, we never get to meet the characters substantially and understand their needs.
-Two, the last act of the story is inexplicably r
Patricia
The artwork was great. The story.. not so much. It felt like the writer was trying to fit a whole action movie into a few pages. Trying to evoke pathos in such an abbreviated way doesn't work. ...more
Holly
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Magnetic Press for providing an ARC of Golem in exchange for honest review.

I read a lot of comics. A lot. I have since childhood. It helps that they're part of my professional life, but even in my personal life, I make it a point to read as many comics as I can, so I'm always thrilled when I come across an advance copy of a new comic trade. I hadn't heard anything about Golem before coming across the ARC, but I'm glad I chose to pick up this book.

The story is set in a very strange futu
Siobhan Hawthorne
I wish to thank NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors who allowed me to read this comics as a digital galley, in exchange for an honest review.

Before anything, just a little disclaimer: with the DRM on the PDF file, I had to read it through Adobe and it was such a pain. I'm more used to reading .cbr or .cbz files, without any DRM and it's much better because it was taking so much time to scroll down in Adobe... So that might have influenced greatly my reading of the book. I'll do my best to ge
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sweet Salgari
  • Dimentica il mio nome
  • A Babbo morto: Una storia di Natale
  • Sputa tre volte
  • Da quassù la terra è bellissima
  • Cinzia
  • In inverno le mie mani sapevano di mandarino
  • Carnera: La montagna che cammina
  • La terra, il cielo, i corvi
  • Scheletri
  • Enigma: la strana vita di Alan Turing
  • Ogni maledetto lunedì su due
Lorenzo Ceccotti aka LRNZ is an artist and designer based in Rome, Italy. Born in 1978. Founder and member of the SUPERAMICI collective. In the past he was one of the five pillars of the glorious design studio called Chimp Co., later to be known as Studio Brutus. LRNZ is definitely a weird multidisciplinary talent, loves working hard to find beauty in everything. Has a passion for videogames, gra ...more

News & Interviews