Start by marking “Warship Jolly Roger Book 1: No Turning Back” as Want to Read:
Warship Jolly Roger Book 1: No Turning Back

Warship Jolly Roger Book 1: No Turning Back

(Warship Jolly Roger #1)

In gritty, star-spread future, where mankind has colonized planets throughout the galaxy, former Confederation Commander Jon T. Munro was serving a life sentence for a war crime he was forced to commit. When a prison break runs amok, however, he seizes the opportunity to escape with a ragtag team of cons to form a small crew of pirates with one goal in mind: vengeful justi ...more
Published August 16th 2016 by Magnetic Press (first published May 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Warship Jolly Roger Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warship Jolly Roger Book 1

Unai
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
El sábado me dio por el BD de piratas aprovechando el pack de Long John Silver y de paso, un álbum llamó mi atención. Nueva serie con titulo piratil pero futurista? a por el de cabeza. Y una vez leído, me ha pasado lo que ocurre con los BD, que me ha gustado un puñado, pero no quiero ni pensar en el tiempo que tiene que pasar hasta el siguiente álbum.
Tenemos un futuro donde la confederación domina la galaxia, pero muy al estilo de la federación de Firefly o la república y posterior imperio galá
Wayne McCoy
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Warship Jolly Roger' by Sylvain Runberg with art by Miquel Montllo is just the kind of space opera story I like to read. A story of people fighting against the odds.

After a prison outbreak on the planet Tullanium, four escapees who don't know each other decide to band together to evade recapture. One is Jon Tiberius Munro, a disgraced confederation captain serving a life sentence for a war crime he was forced to commit. One is Alisa Rinaldi who fought against the confederation. One is a smuggle
Magda Żmijan
A surprisingly great novel about a bunch of criminals on a path to save themselves, their families and to bring justice. You'll see space battles, interesting characters with special abilities, great action scenes, and curious planets the heroes will visit. A beginning of space opera that I'll gladly read on because it was quite a page turner with good graphic and... well, pretty much all the goodies you'd like in a good graphic novel.

A beginning of space opera that I'll gladly read on because i
Patrick
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this more than I expected to before reading it. The artwork was great. Like watching an animated movie. The story was solid and I definitely want to read more.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher
Albert
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book with solid artwork that unfortunately borrows its storyline from too many other science fiction tales that have come before it.
Ryan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need book 2 NOW!!! Four people have escaped from a galactic prison. One a rebel, one a kid, an old man, and a form military officer. But the galaxy is not as peaceful as it appears. And not all prisoners are alike. Sometimes a prisoner is the hero of the story. This is a world I want to be more involved in. I want to know more back story and swim around the stars with its bloody and cantankerous crew. I want to find out how the boy named 13 has becomes friends with a mechanical owl, and most o ...more
Robert Jones
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Whoever thought someone would actually name any type of spaceship or vehicle, "Jolly Roger." But I'm not here to
Tyler Kroon
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A violent sci-fi comic, following a group of four escaped convicts as they steal a spaceship and go on the run. Featuring found family, betrayal, and as much shoot ‘em up action as anyone could ever hope for, it’s an undeniably wild ride.
Elizabeth
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
2.5 stars. As I was reading this I kept thinking of Firefly and maybe a little Farscape with a little Avatar thrown in. Because escaping convicts has never been done before. *inserts sarcasm*
The Stumps
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital-books
I really enjoyed the story and art style!
Jean
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Really enjoyed the art, but the storyline was too political for me.
Caitlin
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cool story and stunningly detailed and beautiful artwork.
Steve
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, scifi
The art is beautiful, the characters feel real and the story is gripping.

Did I mention the art? Wow.
Daniel
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review originally published in < a href="http://www.lookingforagoodbook.com&qu... For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

This looked interesting to me, hence my requesting an ARC, but I'd have to admit that I didn't have the highest of hopes for the book. Something about it just gave me a feeling of being a bit 'cheesy' or too much of a cartoon. But I did get caught up in the story and quite enjoyed this read.

A prison break creates a lot of confusion and a small group of prisoners are thrust tog
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Warship Jolly Roger is a book that should have everything going for it but somehow never comes together. A lot of it feels recycled from other places, the characters are rather flat and we already know what is going to happen through to the end. Yet the artwork, pacing, and story arc are all professionally done. It's unfortunate, but I found myself very bored about half-way through.

Story: A group of rebels smuggle in ope
O. D. Book Reviews
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Description: This book begins in medias res at a riot at a prison. As the story unfolds you get to know the 4 unique characters who escape the prison together and go on the run. You also see bits of back-story explaining the politics of the world and the extended relationships of the characters. It is a dark, action packed tale full of violence, death and some tragic plot twists.

In Short: If you like graphic novels in the science fiction genre and don't mind violence you will really enjoy this
Siina
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I really did like the premise of Warship Jolly Roger. Space scifi stories with crews made to work together because of certain circumstances are awesome. Commander Munro ends up in jail for war crimes he had to make and gathers a crew with which he escapes from the prison. Their goal is to get to the warship Jolly Roger and then go on a rampage to avenge the wrongdoings he had to suffer. In this first comic we get to know the crew and they end up from one trouble to another (trouble hopping!) and ...more
Jen
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
While “Warship Jolly Roger” was no “Firefly,” it was quite a bit better than I anticipated. I expected a story patterned after some pirate tale of the past, or a “Moby Dick” wannabe tale, or some such. But while it did have common elements of such classic adventure tales, the story seemed genuinely unique and original, with a fresh setting of its own.

The main storyline centers on Confederation Commander Jon T. Munro, who is given a life sentence in prison for a war crime which he was forced to
Paul Franco
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What do you do when you escape jail after a trumped-up treason charge? Especially when you were just following orders? Steal a big ship, kidnap the president, and turn pirate!
“Is this mutiny under control or not?” “Not.”
So our anti-hero—have to call him that despite what he’s been though—and his three fellow escapees each have their own ideas of where to head and what to do with the ship. I love the redhead who says “Ah, geez!” all the time, and how giddy she gets piloting a good ship, but she’s
Ross Armstrong
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this from Netgalley for an honest review.

This is a well done graphic novel. From the extra materials at the back of the book, the design was done like a movie, with storyboards and character designs. The art is very good. The story jumps around between past and present but is never hard to follow.

As our story opens, Jon T. Munro has been imprisoned for a crime he was forced to commit and an unrelated riot has broken out. He and three others use this as their opening to escape. Munr
Lestat
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Strangely compelling, with beautiful art, I am looking forward to reading Book 2, whenever that comes out in English.

The Net Galley copy was impeccable, so you could really appreciate the finer details. It felt like a mix of Firefly, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica, which isn't a bad thing at all. I loved that the characters were pretty diverse.

My greatest grouse is that there weren't many female characters - around 4 main ones and barring one, all the others were conventionally drawn, which
Ron
Take a morally questionable dictatorial emperor who rewards those who follow his orders with disgrace and disdain, and a disgraced ship's captain determined on revenge, mix in various rebellious factions, add chance , and a desire for revenge and you have the plot of Warship Jolly Roger. Monro was just following orders that lead to his being cashiered and cast in prison. But what got his gall is how his family was treated. When the Emperor decided to take his son's life for a chance capture Munr ...more
Emily (Infinite Lives, Infinite Stories)
NetGalley Review
For me, the artwork of any graphic novel ultimately determines whether I'd read it or not. That being said, I decided to take a chance on Warship Jolly Roger. Though the artwork wasn't completely to my liking, it still manages to take you on a gory adventure. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the flashbacks. They interrupted the story on many occasions and seemed to be placed in no particular order. But most importantly, they broke apart the action and suspense. The characters were
Chad
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very pleasant surprise. From the title, I figured this would be hokey. However, it was a full-fledged space adventure with great art and color. It was like reading an anime movie. Our story begins with 4 criminals escaping from the worst prison in the galaxy. Here, they hatch a crazy plan to get them off the radar and you start to learn their backstories. The creators have crafted a fully-realized universe full of shades of gray.

Received an advance copy from Magnetic Press and NetGall
Jaim Grymauch
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
La serie per atmosfera e ambientazione mi ha ricordato un poco il film Serenity, se non altro perchè il protagonista principale, John Tiberius (omaggio a Star Trek?) Munro, è un ex veterano della confederazione e, ancora di più, la serie Hammer (1994-1996 Star Comics, 2014 Mondadori Comics) perchè l'equipaggio si forma dopo una fuga da una prigione e perchè il contrabbandiere Nikolai Kowalski assomiglia tantissimo al contrabbandiere John Colter, magari un pizzico più cattivo ma meno complesso ca ...more
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
3.5 Stars

I received this book for free from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was quite an interesting story. All of the elements that were brought together were so compelling. I admit that I wasn't able to put this down until I finished it. I am very much looking forward to the next part of this story. The artwork is beautiful and edgy like the story. While the story wasn't mind blowing, it is well worth the read. I very much enjoyed it.

More reviews on my blog: T
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received an ecopy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review *
The art in this reminded me of the cartoons from my youth and I loved that. I really enjoyed the story as well.I love space tales where our crew travel to different planets and have different adventures. There were some very interesting characters and I would really like to continue on with their stories, thirteen was my favorite I badly want to know all about his past and how he got to be in prison.
This is a fun read and I'm
Theediscerning
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
At last, some pure sci-fi adventure, rooted in the old-school. Prisoners on the lam, bad Presidential figures, remote outposts, conflict wherever you look to provide motive and action… Little is new here, but the comprehensively good artwork and decent storytelling make this a world worth exploring, and the large format, 50+pp episodes mean a lot of story can be had. Another genre hit from Europe, and I'm just hoping the whole thing can come our way soon.
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, ggn17
I really like the story. I was a bit worried when I began, but then the characters began to fill out and the backstory kicked in, and I was a long for the ride. My only problems are that the art is sometimes too dark and hard to interpret and there were some typos. However, I am willing to overlook a few flaws for a good story.

3 1/2 stars
Jessica Mcbee
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the artwork in this book. It reminded me of a film the way it was laid out. The characters were nicely developed. I am interested in learning more about each of them as they develop through the series. I think the story was well thought out too and I will definitely read the next books when they come out. I received a copy through NetGalley for my honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Warship Jolly Roger (4 books)
  • Detonaciones (Warship Jolly Roger, #2)
  • Warship Jolly Roger #3