Start by marking “One Hundred Ablutions” as Want to Read:
One Hundred Ablutions

One Hundred Ablutions

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In “One Hundred Ablutions,” Jacqueline Carey, author of the much-beloved Kushiel’s Legacy series, tells the tale of Dala—a young woman chosen by her people’s overlords to be an exalted slave among slaves—and of the twining in her life of ritual, rebellion, and redemption.
Published March 30th 2016 by Subterranean Press (first published 2016)

Amy Mills
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, sf, revenge
Odd little möbius strip of a story. Enjoyable, though I would have liked more detail and background (this is my usual complaint with novellas, in all honesty).
Alyssia Cooke
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humblebundle
So short I feel guilty allowing it to be counted in my reading challenge total but a stunning little tale that throws you hook, line and sinker into these peoples lives. I’m not sure how in just 30 pages Jacqueline Carey made me care about these characters, but she did and that has to be counted as masterful writing. It’s just a pity it wasn’t longer for I would certainly have eagerly read more.
Joy
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Short Story

What a cheat. A short story for $3! As much as I like this author it wasn't worth the cost. Not even a great story either. A Left Hanging plot.
Lana
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very short. While the setting and characters were interesting, this one's primary appeal is the emotional payoff at the end. Well worth reading.
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story (maybe 30 pages) that I'd been meaning to read for years, but only just recently got to do so. It's a really quick read, although it takes a while to let it sink in.
Dala's people, the Keren, are in service to the Shaladan. While they're slaves, the Keren don't seem to mind it too terribly. Dala knows she's a slave, but as long as she's not chosen to be a handmaid of Shakrath, she's fine with her life. As luck would have it, there's a shortage of merchant girls to be chosen
Barbara
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Very moving story without a wasted word.
James
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75
Lasciel
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
A great little short story, packed with strong feelings and depth for such a short book. A good read.
Jesse
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautifully wrought fantasy story that could all too easily have its roots set in various times and places around the world. Telling the story from the distant future (without revealing much at all from the time frame) offered greater insight than a present tense telling could have. This will stay with me.
Katie
Very short story, but I enjoyed it. I do love Carey's writing. It just feels familiar. And this felt like very solid world-building, despite the shortness. And like a complete story. I even feel like I got to know the characters fairly well.
Lisette
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting

A very (very) short story, with little character development or background. It even lacks a definite conclusion. And yet... Intriguing, thought-provoking, and definitely written to make a point. One wonders what drove the author to pen it. Worth reading.
Tammy
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was disappointed this was a short story. It had rich world building, as Carey's work always does, but it took precedence over the characters in short story format.
Amanda
Jul 17, 2018
Michelle Leavitt
Dec 27, 2016
Alex Kornrumpf
rated it did not like it
Feb 04, 2018
Apr 28, 2018
Seanna
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Jacqueline Carey (born 1964 in Highland Park, Illinois) is an author and novelist, primarily of fantasy fiction.

She attended Lake Forest College, receiving B.A.'s in psychology and English literature. During college, she spent 6 months working in a bookstore as part of a wo
More about Jacqueline Carey

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99