Start by marking “The Traitor and the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Traitor and the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)

The Traitor and the Chalice

(Lyremouth Chronicles #2)

Tevi has made a new life in the Protectorate - a life that includes Jemeryl - something she could never have expected when she was exiled from her home. Even more surprising is that she finds herself seriously engaged in the search for the chalice. The fake quest has suddenly become very real.
Published June 1st 2006 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about The Traitor and the Chalice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traitor and the Chalice

Start your review of The Traitor and the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)
Arien
2 stars... Probably the most boring read of 2018 for me. The first book set up everything well enough that I thought this second book will be nothing but joy to read. Instead, I was mind-numbingly bored all throughout the book. I read in anticipation for it to get good but it never did.

More than half of the book is spent in an extremely boring port city where never anything happens. The main characters barely interact with each other because one of them is undercover and when they do meet it's e
Lex Kent
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this book (book 2) has more excitement than the The Exile and the Sorcerer, I found myself liking book 1 more. That's not to say this book wasn't good, in fact it's great. I really seem to love Jane Fletcher's writing. Her Celaeno series was fantastic. I believe I gave all except one book, in that series, 5 stars. I've been totally sucked into this series too, and can't wait to read the rest.
I'm not going to go into a review about the characters and setting, as others have already. I just
Alealea
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f, fantasy
This is a 2.5 stars rounded up to three.
This book is mostly confusing.
You switch from one scene to another so quickly you get lost.
You go from one great part to a pretty boring one and it goes on in a cycle.

The last part was the worse, with old sorcerer, hermaphrodite's dwarves and mad hermit.

I was dubious about the fact that sorcerer and non-magic user relationship are frown about by both sides... Seing the ratio sorcerer-main population, how are they supposed to have a life ? Especially kn
Michelle
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fantasy
The Traitor And the Chalice closes the first adventure with Tevi and Jemeryl in a beautifully woven story. I loved it not only for the romantic tale between the two main characters, but the prominent themes of classism and societal struggles with it. I look forward to reading more from this series. Fletcher has created a rich world where we can easily see our own faults and fears mirrored.
Collaroy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesfic, fantasy
To sum it up in 3 words: I was bored.

The writing isn't bad, but there are so many unnecessary events to read through and so many plotholes to ignore. And most of all, I didn't care for Tevi and Jem after they initially got together in the first book. They just don't seem well-suited for one another. The combination of contrasts like brawn and brains can work, but in this case it just... doesn't. For most of the book Tevi with her warrior strength is reduced to sitting around and waiting for Jem
Lexxi Kitty
For whatever reason, I do not seem as interested in writing reviews for Fletcher books. Not sure why.

So, the story continues here in part two of the series and . . . I come immediately to why I didn’t write anything – the only real thing I wanted to say was something too spoilery to say so . . . (view spoiler)

Tevi and Jemeryl continue on t
Noah Soudrette
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The follow up to Fletcher's Exile and the Sorcerer continues the high quality of character that made the first book stand out. Again, the plotting is a bit subdued, the first half easily bettering the second. The first plays a bit like a Harry Potter novel, with a mystery set in a sorcerer's school. The second half is the two leads chasing down the Traitor of the title. While I did like this one about as much as the first, my only caveat would be Fletcher's somewhat anti-climactic plot resolutio ...more
LS
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Science fiction/fantasy adventure books by and about women, with single (unmarried), childless, female protagonists, and plots that do not sound like dystopian newspaper articles, are hard to find. So I was very pleased to find this one. It has a few unexpected turns, thoughtful development, and two adventuring women characters to follow. I only wish the author would write more books.
Sandy
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, glbt-lesbian
I am a fantasy buff and enjoy all kinds. I was looking forward to Book 2 in this series with Tevi And jemalya and while I liked it, it seemed a bit disjointed. It felt like the author wanted to get someplace and skipped over parts to get to it. I enjoyed her takes on immortality and gifted vs. ungifted life as philosophy. I wanted more interaction between the main characters and I wanted to see how they developed. I guess I wanted more emotion but never really felt that. The return home felt sti ...more
Jane   stroudle
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great 2nd chapter

This is a brilliant continuation of Tevi and Jemeryl's journey. There is lots of action and a few emotional sections which show case Jane Fletcher style perfectly.
The world building is extremely well done, I feel like I have been to the places that are in the book, there are written so well.
This book would appeal to anyone who is a fan of fantasy fiction lesbian characters
Melanie Wood
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
took me this long cause I was reading it at work during lunch..so 30mins ea read takes time. But really enjoy this series
Amy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq, wizards
I liked the first one better, but this one was good too. I'm really enjoying this series ...more
F.
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fantasy
The premise of tbe world Jane Fletcher created is great. The love story is great. The mystery is great. In fact, the whole book is really excellent.
TheBohemianBookworm
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I binge read this in a little over twenty four hours. I absolutely love this series and think Jane Fletcher is probably my favorite lesbian author. Fun story, with pages that keep you turning and a sweet romance. I highly recommend.
D. Omars
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was good book from this series. The adventure and the drama was very captivating, as well as the action. The romance is not what I was expecting, there were kinky moments, but nothing beyond that. Still, it was an interesting book and it was worth reading. Hope to read more from her.
Courtney
Apr 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Excellent characters and story. If you like Fantasy/SciFi and are queer you should really enjoy this series.
Lisa
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome, on to the next one :D
Kira3003
Carisa Hosey
Aug 12, 2020
JoyfulK
Jul 20, 2010

• Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • Breaking Legacies
  • The Setup
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Gold
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Goldenseal (Garoul, #1)
  • Heart of Ice
  • Trigger (A Dr. Kate Morrison Mystery, #1)
  • Huntress
  • Dragonoak: The Complete History of Kastelir (Dragonoak, #1)
  • Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)
  • Compass Rose
  • Ash
  • Temptation
  • Blood of the Moon (Fallen Gods, #3)
  • Witching Moon
Jane Fletcher is a GCLS award-winning writer and has also been short-listed for the Gaylactic Spectrum and Lambda Literary awards. She is author of two ongoing sets of fantasy/romance novels: the Celaeno series—The Walls of Westernfort, Rangers at Roadsend, The Temple at Landfall, Dynasty of Rogues, and Shadow of the Knife; and the Lyremouth Chronicles—The Exile and The Sorcerer, The Traitor and T ...more

Lyremouth Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...